Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Last year I decided that full time alcoholism would be a good career path and left my job to retrain. Being cheap, I decided to do a semester at the community college before I invested in another degree. I picked up classes that are supposed to prep for the A+, Network+, and LPIC.

Now I have 3 months before I start in Oregon State's B.S. in computer science program in April (basically if you already have a bachelors, you can get a B.S. in computer science in a year, online.)

Is it worth is for me to pick up any or all of those certs before I start my program? My background is as an administrative assistant in various non-profits, so no technical stuff at all. I have 3 months to study, but currently no income, so I only want to invest in what will help me get a job when I'm finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Fortunately, I was pretty good at calculus, although I could brush up. I just am wondering if there is any reason to spend money on certs given the path I'm on.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
My current goal is medical informatics, probably on the programming end. I've been good at programming in the limited coursework I've had (C in high school and C# last semester). That said, I'm a belt and suspenders person, so the more options I have, the better.