Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I work as a one man administrator at a small company, and I've had experience deploying 2003 servers and AD along with fixing anything that could go wrong IT related at a company. I don't have any certs, but I'm fairly knowledgeable. I'm looking to get out of here, but I don't know which path to lay out. I basically need to start from scratch. What should I start with? Ideally I'd like to administer enterprise nservers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

incoherent posted:

Do you want to stick with microsoft solutions or are you open to learning linux? I would seriously invest in learning a hypervisor stack (microsoft or VMware) if you're looking at the next level.

I'm just more comfortable with Microsoft stuff, but I'm willing to expand my horizons. Thanks for the ideas. I know virtualization seems to be the future.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I've been the lone IT person at my job for 15 years. I want out, but I need certs for my resume. I currently have A+ and S+ which are fairly worthless. I'm not sure which path to take next. MCSE path or CCIE path? I know I've got a long road of studying, but I want to get started on the path. Which path has more prospects? Which is more lucrative? Where should I start? CCENT and go from there?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

What have you been doing for fifteen years? You should be able to determine what you like by this point.
Pretty much everything IT related for a small business with 20ish users and 150 or so remote users. I had set up servers from scratch, Citrix servers, etc. I migrated to Office365 a few years ago, and last year I migrated our main management system software to the cloud. PCs rarely have problems these days and I'm not very challenged by what I do. I basically have to set up users in various sites, reset passwords, etc. It is all easy, but there's nowhere for me to go career wise. I'm looking for something with more advancement opportunities.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

MF_James posted:

What do you LIKE to do? Or, what in IT makes you hate your life the least?
I like hardware and hands on stuff the most, but I don't really think that'd pay well since it's easy stuff. I really don't hate anything. It's just I feel like a janitor since we are basically fully in the cloud now and the necessity of me keeping our servers up to date and running well is gone.

I just don't feel like I'm learning anything new, and won't be if I stay here. I sort of feel like an IT fraud because my job is so easy. I want to sharpen my chops.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 27, 2016

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I do care about the money. I've been offered the job to run the office as they are opening a new location out of state, but I'm not really excited about it. I want to deal with high end IT, not HR BS.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I'd prefer OS stuff honestly. Is it worth getting my Network +? It should be fairly easy for me to get, but I've seen the thread recommend Cisco certs for networking instead.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Is CASP worth anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks for the help guys.