Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Has anyone taken the new 800-series A+ yet? Looks like its no longer simply multiple choice, part of it is some sort of interactive thing now, just curious what that's all about.

Also, I have just under 2 years of support experience. If I wanted to go for a career path, would just the A+ suffice in getting more callbacks, or would I definitely need N+ too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Xenaero posted:

So I have to buy two $160+ vouchers for the A+ test? That seems pretty greedy, why is it split into two exams?

quote:

In order to get certified, you must pass two exams: CompTIA A+ Essentials and CompTIA A+ Practical Application. This voucher is valid for ONE of the following CompTIA A+ exams:

220-701 or 220-801 for CompTIA A+ Essentials
220-702 or 220-802 for CompTIA A+ Practical Application

Yep, gotta buy separate ones for both.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Lunaris posted:

Yay passed CompTIA A+ :toot:

Test was a lot easier than I expected, although the things I didn't know I straight up didn't know.

Any advice to someone who's planning on taking it? Specific stuff to memorize, out of left field questions, etc?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

blakout posted:

Just passed A+802 by the scruff of the neck it's no joke make sure you have command line rock solid. And 801 make sure you know mobo components and wireless standards

Anything specific in the command line stuff give you problems? I know my way around it pretty well but don't want any surprises.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Any recommendations for practice A+? Something that would help with the simulator parts of 801/2 would be perfect.

vvv - Didn't read the OP as thoroughly as I should have, apologies.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 18, 2013

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ukrainius maximus posted:

Welp I failed the 220-801 exam by 29 loving points so I feel like a real dummy now. I know exactly what I hosed up on and didn't really prepare myself fully for the test. I'm kicking myself in my nuts now because my girlfriend told me to look my poo poo over the night before, which I did not do, so maybe those god drat 29 points could have come from that.

Really I'm just pissed that I wasted a good amount of money on that shot. When I go to re-take the exam, will it be the same exact test or will some things be different?

If I may ask, what did you gently caress up on/not read up enough about? Planning on taking mine in a few weeks and want to be sure I'm prepared for it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

hackedaccount posted:

Bahhhh! I was gonna schedule a test tomorrow. Are they completely down or is just their web site down or what's the issue?

It's exceedingly slow when it works, lots of random 503 errors.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Xenoletum posted:

Just got back from the exam center myself, once again the simulations are what threw me off a bit, but I just took a breath and focused.

Getting my official certificate in 5 business days soon. Hell yeah. Now to just update the resume.

What are the simulations like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Parlett316 posted:

You guys are killing me. My test is this Saturday at Pearson.

Mine's Friday, no idea what I'm in for testing center-wise since its about 35 miles away.