Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
For MS certs, is it recommended to start off with MTA? Or can I dive straight in to MSCA?

Looking at the paths for MSCA it looks like to get certified its 3 exams? The website doesn't specifically stat the requirement. It just lays out three steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Kaethela posted:

Any advice to someone who's planning on taking it? Specific stuff to memorize, out of left field questions, etc?

I'd say pay special attention to the group policy/NTFS permission type questions. Basically the way they word some of the effective permission questions can be tricky.

Remember IP address class ranges.

Know the 802.11 versions and their broadcast ranges and speeds.

Know the basic ports.

As far as left field questions, I don't recall anything too crazy. Taking the practice test on the CompTIA website is similar to what you can expect when taking the real thing. If you're passing those with a high percentage, you'll be fine. It really isn't a hard test, its just that some of the questions asked require you to remember minor things, and multiple instances at that. I used the Mike Meyers all in one books for A+ and Network+. Good luck!

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Right now I'm learning how to subnet. And I have a question because its driving me crazy right now.

So basically I'm having trouble understanding how to find the network id's after finding the subnet mask. Right now its asking me to break 192.168.4.0 /26 in to 3 (4) subnets.

I know that since its /26 its going to be 255.255.255.192

It then says to see each of these network id's, first convert the original network id into binary.

Which is:

Then it states to add the 4 different id extensions to the end.

It then broke the binary down to:

This is where it confuses me because I'm not sure why or how it got arranged like that. How am I supposed to know that its supposed to be the following?

I'm completely fine if I use the "Happy Chart" to figure this out, but not in the sense this book is trying to explain it. Id like to have a firm understanding how to do it without using cheater charts and stuff.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Inspector_71 posted:

Oh ok, I can explain that now. It's because in a /26 you have 2 bits that get "borrowed" from the host bits to be used as network bits. the 00, 01, 10 and 11 combos are the four possible combinations for those two network bits.

Ok, but how do I figure out the possible combos? Thats the ONE thing driving me crazy right now and I want to learn.

This book is treating subnetting like Rosetta stone, it gives you enough information to have an idea, but it doesn't give you the vital information.

Even that how to subnet a network .pdf doesn't fully explain it. It just gives you the jist and tells you to use the "happy chart"

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Inspector_71 posted:

Well, with the 2 bits it's simple since there are only 4 possible combos.

I would probably stick with the 256-Mask=Block size way (that I posted about in the other thread) to figure out the networks, since if you really need the binary you can work backwards from there rather than trying to figure out all possible combos for 6+ bits.

Is it really as simple as how doomisland just said? So in this case there's only 4. Is it simply asking me to count out the number of created id's in binary and lay them out in order and add the remaining 6 zeros to complete the octet?

As in
00 =0
01 =1
10 =2
11 =3

and then
.00000000 =0
.01000000 =64
.10000000 =128
.11000000 =192

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Jesus tap dancing christ... It was that all along.

I can't wait until V6!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, both of you. This was driving me crazy. I'm going to go pour some scotch now and take the night off.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Networking is fun!

Or at least it will be eventually.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
IPv6 question.

When shortening an IPv6 address, specifically one containing a string of zeroes it says you can use a pair of colons to represent a string of consecutive groups with a value of zero.

For example
2001:0:0:3210:800:200C:CF:1234 becomes 2001::3210:800:200C:CF:1234

I get how that works in the instance above.

But when its 3 consecutive number sets is where i'm having an issue.

Example 2
FEDC:0000:0000:0000:00CF:0000:BA98:1234 gets shortened to FEDC::CF:0:BA98:1234

In this case, what happens to the third set of zeroes? It looks like it just skipped it and went to the next group (CF). Shouldn't the leading zeroes be dropped and that's it? Why is this third group completely missing? This book doesn't say why.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 7, 2013

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The :0: indicates that there is a group of zeroes there. The :: indicates that, when all is said and done, put as many sets of zeroes in as you'd need to flesh out the address.

So aaaa::ffff would be aaaa:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:ffff

You'd never have two sets of :: because it would blow your mind.

aaaa::cccc:0:ffff -> aaaa:0000:000:0000:0000:cccc:0000:ffff

Don't know if that makes a lick of sense.

I think you're thinking of consecutive as "two consecutive", that distinction might be your mental block.

e: Put another way, consecutive is as many as you want. Your loopback address is ::1. 0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001.

It makes perfect sense, thanks for clearing it up.

This book never said that :: could represent as many zeroes (in this case 0000:0000:0000) that I needed to finish out the address. It was just like "put these fuckers here to represent strings". I do know that you cant use a second set of :: because then you'd never know how many sets were in each group.

So far IPv6 isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Edit:
Thanks for the additional comments

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Lareous posted:

Just passed Network+! Huge relief, lot of career advancement pressure looming. I think next will be Sec+ as I've heard it's one of the easier ones.

Materials I studied (for those curious) are the Professor Messer videos on Youtube and the Mike Meyer's Passport Network+ Guide (GET THE PAPERBACK, it comes with practice tests). It really helps to also have practical work experience with Voip phones and basic/small office networking equipment.

Any questions that I should look out for or advice in general? I'm passing all of my practice tests with 85-90% scores. The only thing keeping me from taking the test is the fact that I'm broke as gently caress. I'm already putting what I know to work at my new job, but I still want to take the test because I studied for it.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
I've decided to go down the MCSA Server 2012 route. I'm trying to find a good self study book for it, and was going to go with this one right here http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-Complete-Study-Guide/dp/1118544072/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379908194&sr=8-1&keywords=mcsa

But the reviews seem like its not that great in coverage, nor is it well received. Any suggestions for what book to get?

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
One more question.

Why is the last day to test for the CCNA September 30? Is there a new version of the test coming out soon?

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

routenull0 posted:

The new versions are out, but you have until the 30th to take the older versions.

So is it not 640-802 anymore then?

Edit:
Nevermind. I READ GUD. Apparently its the 200-120 now. Wonder when Lammle will come out with a new book.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 24, 2013

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Amphion posted:

Oct 7th, it's up for pre-order on Amazon. His book for the new CCENT is already out.

You don't have to start there though right?

A change of plans at work is kind of making me go the network path first. I was planning on studying for the CCNA. Is it not recommended to do so now with the exam changes? If I skip CCENT will I be missing out on something?

I already have my Network+ which I know really means nothing, but I have a solid understanding of networking already thanks to hands on work experience.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Do I go with Odom? Or Lammle for the CCNA study books?

I'm definitely not taking the composite, and will going 100-101 ICND1 / 200-101 ICND2 route. The OP says Odom is a dry read, but are there more opinions? People seem to prefer Lammle in general. Personally I'd want he one that's laid out the best and descriptive.

Google preview let me read a few chapters of their books. It seems like i'd take more from Odom's then Lammle, but Lammle would be the more enjoyable one.

LIFE IS HARD.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 4, 2014

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Studying for the CCNA and I have the pleasure of trying to learn VLSM. For the most part I understand it and using the VLSM table is great. The type of person I am though I want to figure out how it works, namely how the hell are the hosts determined when using the table? Its driving me crazy!

For example, normally a /27 would have 32-2 = 30 hosts. But on the VLSM table it lists 25 hosts. I'm sure it obvious, but I cant figure it out.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
I'm pretty sure its me just not understanding the VLSM concept yet and someone here will point that out shortly.

Its from the latest Lammle CCNA book.

Its asking to create a VLSM network using 192.168.10.0
LANS
192.168.10.32/27
192.168.10.8/29
192.168.10.64/27
192.168.10.16/28

WAN
192.168.10.108/30
192.168.10.96/30
192.168.10.100/30
192.168.10.104/30

It then asks to fill in the table. Everything is great until the host portion because doesn't match up to what it should be. This is the problem i'm having. I get subneting, but i'm stuck here right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
OH. MY. GOD... This was killing me. I was reading the same 3 pages for the last several hours.

Thank you for this. I ran in to others errors early on, but this is pretty bad.

I'm not retarded after all!

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
For CCNA, is it really necessary to get a lab put together? Are there any other sources that I can practice IOS commands and other test necessary skills on?

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Don't get me wrong a lab would be cool, they all seem pricey though. I have access to a bunch of old Cisco crap at work, but I don't know if its what I what need. I think a simulator would be the best way to go. Although for Packet Tracer, you need to be a member of Cisco's networking academy or something to get it.

Assuming I could scrounge together some equipment from work. What would be considered a basic lab setup that I could use to study with? All these pre-built lab kit websites seem to be way overpriced and overkill in whats needed.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 6, 2014

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Trax416 posted:

If I pick up A+ and N+ certs would I qualify for a lovely, minimum wage help desk/support type job with no experience in the field and no schooling?

Then I would probably go to college (in Canada, so like American community college), while working and go for the other certs (CCNA and so forth).

That's what I did. That lovely part time job turned in to a lovely full time job that pays salary with benefits. All poo poo talk aside, i love my job.

I did a career change because this is what I always wanted to do, but ended up doing Project Management in the gaming industry for 9 years. I had no prior IT experience other then being an avid computer dork on my own free time. I put a resume together and got my A+ to get noticed. A+ allowed me to get my foot in the door. Since I prefer networking, I then got my Network+. I'm working towards my CCNA right now and i'm currently a Jr Network Admin that still ends up doing Helpdesk poo poo because a title change doesn't mean poo poo for the end users.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
IPV6 question.

I understand it for the most part except for one issue, and that's assigning subnet addresses. For the last 16 bits, it looks like you can pretty much assign a number and be done with it and then that's the subnet. I know this is probably wrong, but every example I see seems to make it like that.

Example:
0000 = Subnet 0
0001 = Subnet 1
0002 = Subnet 2
etc...

I don't have to follow a range or anything depending on what bits are used? Say for example the global prefix is a /56 which then leaves 8 bits for subnetting. Could I still just assign it as 00, 01, 02? Or does it have to follow a specific range? Like 00, 08, 16? Kinda like how it used to be block sizes in IPV4.

Sorry if my question isn't clear. Everything else I get.

As far as the CCNA goes (specifically 100-101), how in depth are the IPV6 questions? Are they going to require me to subnet an IPV6 network?

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
I just passed ICND1 (100-101) using the Lammle book and CBT Nuggets.

The test itself wasn't that hard and I probably over prepared for it. I was expecting something a little more difficult. I did the crappiest in the security sections because I encountered a few simlets that were asking questions that weren't covered in the book or nuggets.

I didn't encounter a single IPv6 question either which I thought was strange. There were a ton of subnetting questions, and a bunch of other random trouble shoot this connectivity scenario questions/simlets. I'll knock the second part out in a month or so.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 7, 2015

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Work did. They're even paying for the testing which is pretty cool.

Too bad we use HP for our switches though.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Gothmog1065 posted:

Are there any good places to get practice with subnetting? Maybe have the question then have the answer worked through? I kind of get subnetting, but I need to practice it so I can get good.

Get a CCNA book, or Network+ book. You can also get a free trial membership for CBT nuggets right now. The videos are great for subnetting.

Here are some links though
http://www.subnetting.net/Tutorial.aspx

Cheat sheet
http://packetlife.net/media/library/15/IPv4_Subnetting.pdf

Another how to
http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html

Edit:
For the above questions about lab setup, I was able to use 3 1841 routers for the majority of the crap I needed to do. I just borrowed some older switches from work. Honestly though Packet Tracer was the best thing to use. I only used the actual physical stuff to verify commands that weren't listed within PT.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 4, 2015

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Just master counting in 16's haha.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Broletariat posted:

Total nub here. Have a degree in an unrelated field and want to jump in. no experience. is it better for me to gun for certs like A+ and Network+ and just try to land an entry position? Should I go back to school for a degree?

A+ isn't useless and you will learn from it. Its pretty much used by HR when they're going through resumes to show that you meet basic requirements for basic entry level low tier Helpdesk. The likelihood of you getting an entry level job at a decent company without A+ is pretty low. At that point, nepotism is how you get jobs without certs or formal education.

I wanted a career change and actually wanted to be in IT. My problem was I had no IT job experience or education. I was just one of those guys that was self taught and "was good with computers". I didn't get a single interview until I put A+ on my resume.

Long story short, you'll get your foot in the door and will have to work your way up.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Just passed ICND2 today with a 960. Woo!

I thought ICND1 was harder then ICND2. I barely squeaked by on ICND1.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Lotttts of STP and RSTP questions and there were a few OSPF, Frame Relay, and EIGRP simulations / simlets / testlets. Everything else was just troubleshooting. The ICND2 portion of Lammles book covered everything I encountered on the test. The CBT Nuggets ICND2 portion was also great at helping me pass. I'd pretty much read a chapter, then watch the corresponding CBT video and take every practice test I could.

There was no NAT or ACL stuff, I think that's all on the composite and ICND1 anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
With the last day to test for 640-461 ICOMM being August 14. 2015, does anyone have an idea of when the new test and study material starts getting rolled out? Apparently its going to be my next cert.