Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redi
Mar 29, 2016

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Congratulations, you are now A+ certified! Get out there and start applying for those entry level password reset help desk jobs! :kiddo:

Working towards my CCNA, have Sec+, and my job mostly consists of clearing cached MAC addresses on switches for Port Security. Goddamn, it'll feel good when we finally have dot1x implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redi
Mar 29, 2016
So I wanted to ask about what to expect once I'm in the position to be looking for a job; along with seeing where to really point my nose. I'm currently working in the military as an Infrastructure Tech.
Went through about 8 months of training with Cisco L2 and L3 stuff mainly. I've been actually working for about 6 months now. We support something around 100+ Brocade switches across our network
with a team of around 6. We have a bit under 10 L3 switches routing the traffic for the base. If I stay in my current role I'll have 3+ years of experience working not including the training when I get out.
I'll be taking my CCNA in September, already have a Sec+, but other than that nadda. I should have a CCNP by the time I'm out, but I was wondering if there's anything else that should be on my radar.
I don't know what kind of work is done in the civilian sector. I've heard most of the time my job doesn't exist by itself. I'd be in a catch-all kind of position, servers, network, desktop support all together.

Basically, any guidance or information would be cool. I'm not expecting to get out and instantly be making 6 figures, (any advice on what I should expect on this too would be nice)
but I want to set my self up for being eligible for a good job.

redi
Mar 29, 2016
Just found out about the new CCNA, Cyber Ops

Looks like it could be interesting. Plus there's a whole scholarship that they're handing out for it.