Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
CCNP Switch down.. Never have to take another test with wireless on it again for as long as I live!

Studied with this: "Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (SWITCH) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for SWITCH 642-813 (Foundation Learning Guides)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

Pudgygiant posted:

Hahaha that's a good one. Cisco's wireless revenue growth has been holding steady at around 35% year-over-year, and most of the other enterprise wireless providers have seen pretty much the same thing. With .11n being roughly as fast as wire speed in the real world and MUCH cheaper to deploy, the emphasis on wireless is only going to grow. There's going to be a dedicated Cisco wireless cert before the end of the decade, I'd bet a paycheck on it.

My goal is actually along this track:
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/ccnp_dc/index.html

The CCNP datacenter which is where I spend most of my time anyway. Going through the route/switch CCNP mostly just to a better engineer overall. Hopefully in the next year or so I can actually gun for the CCIE datacenter (http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/dc/index.html.)

It's basically the Cisco certifications on the Nexus gear and UCS.

I'm hoping that by the time we have fibre channel over wireless that I'll be retired and living someplace warm.

May 14, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

Are those more practical than the DCUCD exams that they are retiring? SO far the ones I have taken feel like "which of the following gives Cisco the most money?"

They are only retiring a previous version of those exams. Here's the roadmap here:

642-999 DCUCI v5.0 Implementing Cisco Data Center Unified Computing (DCUCI) v5.0
642-997 DCUFI v5.0 Implementing Cisco Data Center Unified Fabric (DCUFI) v5.0

and

642-998 DCUCD v5.0 Designing Cisco Data Center Unified Computing (DCUCD) v5.0
642-996 DCUFD v5.0 Designing Cisco Data Center Unified Fabric (DCUFD) v5.0

OR

642-035 DCUCT v5.0 Troubleshooting Cisco Data Center Unified Computing (DCUCT) v5.0
642-980 DCUFT v5.0 Troubleshooting Cisco Data Center Unified Fabric (DCUFT) v5.0

Note that as a pre-requisite for this counting towards the CCNP datacenter you'll need to take these two exams for your CCNA Datacenter:

640-911 DCICN Introducing Cisco Data Center Networking (DCICN)
640-916 DCICT Introducing Cisco Data Center Technologies(DCICT)

If I'm reading it right you'll need to take the implementing UCS and Nexus exams then either the architecture exams for those systems or the troubleshooting exams for those systems. For a partner qualification I need to be a routing and switching CCNP with a troubleshooting unified fabric and implementing unified fabric exam under my belt. That'll basically leave me 50% of the way to a CCNP datacenter.

I'm guessing they're no more or less practical than earlier versions of the CCNP curriculum. If you were taking the design tract though then I can see where practical knowledge may feel unhelpful.

May 14, 2003

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Wendel Odom's book on ROUTE is giving me chronic narcolepsy. It was noon, I just finished a large coffee and after 7 pages I was completely unconscious.

Suggest trying this one out: http://www.amazon.com/Implementing-Cisco-Routing-Foundation-Learning/dp/1587058820/ref=pd_sim_b_4

It's slightly less coma inducing! I find it's doing a better job explaining core concepts as well.

May 14, 2003

Why not bpdufilter?

May 14, 2003

psydude posted:

Looking at it, BPDUguard/filter have go to have almost zero use in a large enterprise environment because nobody is going to look at a SFP uplink port and go "Yeah, let's totally enable portfast on that."

SFP uplink ports no; but edge ports it's absolutely useful. A lot of ESXi hosts have a config snippet that looks like this:

interface Ethernet101/1/6
description Dell R610 1 esx1,vmnic3
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,16-29,100-202,300-330
spanning-tree port type edge trunk

With bpdu filter enabled globally (it behaves a little differently when enabled globally vs on a specific port.) This particular server is plugged into a Cisco FEX so bdpuguard is hardset on all the interfaces. We turn on bdpuguard in case some jerkface decides to setup a bridge on a VM or something.

May 14, 2003

Just passed the CCNP ROUTE this morning. Studied with "Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for the ROUTE 642-902 Exam" reading it cover to cover, taking notes, etc.

I feel like it did a pretty decent job getting me ready. Also I labbed the poo poo out of BGP and redistribution.

May 14, 2003

I've honestly been preparing for it since early to mid summer. Involving myself in discussions at work and bouncing ideas of colleagues and volunteering to take the lead on a couple of network design projects for mid-sized companies (with some air cover behind me just in case.) Around December or so I started hitting the books hard to fill in the gaps then in the beginning of January started spending time doing a lot of lab stuff. The practical hands-on stuff is tremendously helpful and practically trivializes most of the lab sims on the exam.

When I study for something I tend to start way in advance and gradually up the intensity as I get closer to my deadline. Seems to help my retention a boatload.

All in all the experience has made me a better network engineer.

May 14, 2003

eefster posted:

I'm working on CCNA Voice at the moment, but hope to start on the CCNP R&S exams right after that. How did you get access to the physical equipment you mention? Was it purely stuff at work, a rack rental, or your own personal lab? Or did you go the simulator/emulator route - GNS3 / Packet Tracer / Boson / some other?

I'm wondering how far I'll get without buying gear, and I've heard conflicting reports, so I'm interested to hear what your experience has been.

A mix of personal lab and work lab. I think a sim will work mostly for the CCNA but I find that doing break/fix type stuff for CCNP learning is much more effective on physical equipment.

I also keep GNS3 around to do some experimenting too.

May 14, 2003

Took TSHOOT under pressure from the network practice manager and passed it. I scored pretty high. After preparing for SWITCH and ROUTE this test was kind of a fun walk through the park.

May 14, 2003

vty posted:

Anybody using any sort of online course/learning site (coursesites, something like Khan) to plan out their studies/labs? While I do my VCP5 and CCIE I was hoping to set up something so other people can go through them (vids, lab setups, etc). Mostly to motivate myself to actually study and lab various stuff, but also so other people could contribute, have discussions, etc.

Not to mention one of my real goals is getting into more of an advisory/teaching arena (currently IT manager, etc). I'd really, really love to take the generic "bootcamp" style of training and give it a real-world spin which most bootcamps seem to seriously lack, or they're just prohibitvely expensive.

Most of what I've seen are simple Wordpress blogs, or Forums.. which I don't really think are the most conducive to what I'm after.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head. I know blog.ine.com recently laid out an 18 month learning plan to become a voice CCIE.

That said I'd definitely set milestones for yourself that are achievable in smaller pieces. I was given the opportunity to pursue a CCIE data center on someone else's dime about 6 months ago. I told the people who offered it that it would take me 18 months and then I sat down and figured out how that was going to play out.

It basically went something like this:

Re-certify CCNA
CCNP Switch
CCNP Route
CCNP Tshoot

DCUFI (Nexus/unified fabric)
ICSNS (whatever cisco's network cert is)

That's where I'm at today having completed all of the above. Now I'm going to go deeper and prepare for the CCIE written and then pound for the lab. Yeah you can actually start with the CCIE if you want but I probably wouldn't. I found that going through each step of the CCNP and other tests were very helpful in building confidence and filling in gaps in my knowledge. After going through that process I can generally predict behavior much better now when you hand me a switch configuration and overall I'm a much better network engineer than I was 8 months ago.

I find that saying "my goal is a CCIE" does a LOT to kill any motivation you may have because it's so far down the road you may feel like you'll never be ready for it. Then you're always "currently pursuing a CCIE" while making no real progress. You'll end up doing a weekend every month or so trying to get back on track but you'll never full commit.

On the VCP5 there are dozens of resources out there as it's not too involved. Take 1 class and pass 1 test and you're golden.

May 14, 2003

Frag Viper posted:

IPv6 question.

When shortening an IPv6 address, specifically one containing a string of zeroes it says you can use a pair of colons to represent a string of consecutive groups with a value of zero.

For example
2001:0:0:3210:800:200C:CF:1234 becomes 2001::3210:800:200C:CF:1234

I get how that works in the instance above.

But when its 3 consecutive number sets is where i'm having an issue.

Example 2
FEDC:0000:0000:0000:00CF:0000:BA98:1234 gets shortened to FEDC::CF:0:BA98:1234

In this case, what happens to the third set of zeroes? It looks like it just skipped it and went to the next group (CF). Shouldn't the leading zeroes be dropped and that's it? Why is this third group completely missing? This book doesn't say why.

Taking a stab after MC:

You can take a large string of contiguous zeroes and replace them exactly once with ::.

You can also just omit leading zeroes in an IPV6 address.

That said this:

FEDC:0000:0000:0000:00CF:0000:BA98:1234

Can be represented all of these ways:
FEDC::00CF:0000:BA98:1234
FEDC::CF:0:BA98:1234
FEDC:0:0:0:CF::BA98:1234
FEDC:0:0:0:CF:0:BA98:1234

When you do :: it assumes all zeroes between two different groups.

I'm tired and sort of split focused but I hope between these two responses you can make sense of it.

May 14, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I was hoping I could maybe get some encouragement and motivation from those of you who have gotten your CCENT/CCNAs. I've been a VOIP tech for a telecom for about 3 years now. I have no certifications and basically have picked up what little I know from the company's in-house training sessions and CBTs. Honestly, my heart just isn't in this, but it seems like getting the CCENT and then CCNA would be a prudent long-term decision. For those of you with certs, how did you motivate yourself to study? My day-to-day work tends to cover VOIP and Class 5 switch-based voice troubleshooting and provisioning, but once my workday is over it's not something I think about or care about at all. My plan was to pick up some of the CCNA books mentioned in the OP and study based off the training materials my company has put out there for at least 3 or 4 months, then take the test over the summer. Should I really bother with training classes or boot camps? My company has a reimbursement program for the test, at least, provided I pass.

For me the CCNA was probably the most boring certification I've ever had to study for. I don't really care about a large portion of the subject matter (frame relay) and the rest of it is uninteresting by virtue of having been doing it since 1994 so it's nothing new. I still wanted to/had to study though to make sure I had the "cisco appropriate answers."

I basically forced myself to study by scheduling the composite exam about a month out. Spending a couple hundred bucks on a test can be a powerful motivator to get it right the first time.

May 14, 2003

DropsySufferer posted:

My understanding of certifications is that unless IT companies/HR are aware of the certs and value them, they aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Now who here is interested enrolling in my exclusive (and very expensive) program to earn your GOON+ certification?

Most HR folks in companies with IT departments actually do value them! Also resellers put a huge value on certifications because it qualifies them for specific levels of partnership with their vendors which means bigger discounts/margins.

If you're a good engineer and you have certifications then you open up the door to make more money and you're more easily employable.

May 14, 2003

Pockyless posted:

I just passed my CCNP: ROUTE exam earlier this week and have started looking for study materials for SWITCH. I basically relied on GNS3, the official Lab Manual, and the ROUTE foundational learning guide which was enough. I'm getting some free 2960s from work and now I'm just looking for a good book to study from. Amazon reviews say that both the Cisco Press SWITCH books are really bad and full of errors. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good SWITCH book or two?

I used this book: http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/networking/lan/9781587141683 which is one of the foundation learning guides. I actually feel like its the "textbook" that the exam was taken from. That with a lot of labbing and I scored something like a 900ish on the test.

May 14, 2003

CCNA datacenter focuses on Nexus, UCS and to a lesser degree (probably none) ACE. You probably won't have to learn frame relay and I'm guessing it won't go too deep into routing protocols. If the exams are anything like the ones for the CCNP datacenter then it'll probably be pretty easy to get it.

May 14, 2003

keseph posted:

An MSDN Premium sub retails about $3500 for the first year but entitles you to media and keys for almost every product MS has ever made both at work and at home. Get your work to buy it and you can sandbox any crazy architecture your job needs and take it home to do whatever you want in your spare time too, like setup a Hyper-V farm with Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, SQL, AD, Project Server, a SharePoint Integrated Report Server and a storage server all in separate VMs and all tightly integrated. Student/charity discount is about 75%, if you qualify for that. Retail copies also give you Perpetual Use rights after your sub expires, which essentially means you should go on a huge downloading spree before it expires and grab every interesting version/edition of anything you might ever possibly be interested in.

Why not just use technet for ~300 a year?

May 14, 2003

keseph posted:

TechNet is eval-only and has business-oriented editions only meaning you're not allowed to do any day-to-day work or development on it. MSDN allows use for basically everything except true Production use, all the way up through UAT. You can make an easy argument for your business to buy MSDN licenses for your team to cover all your dev work rather than buying individual server licenses for your dev servers -- you can often pitch it as an overall cost savings to the business. If you can't get your business to buy it then yeah TechNet makes sense when spending your own dime.

Technet lets you run full versions of drat near everything for labbing, planning, whatever you need to do that isn't: A. production; B. related to product development. I think for the guy you were quoting originally technet's probably more appropriate (he's just getting started.) For someone developing products or running a lab in the business MSDN is absolutely the better choice.

May 14, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Anyone here do beta exams for places like Cisco/Vmware/EMC/MS?

Any insight on how they vary? I've heard you usually need to do a write up or something on the test.

Every question will allow you to provide feedback that ends up getting read. Also you may end taking the entire pool of questions instead of a subset of questions. For example; if you go to pearson right now to schedule an exam you might have 58 questions to answer but there are ~250-300 total possible questions.

If it's a VMware exam expect some new horrible means of answering a question that won't work. For example I took a beta design exam years ago that had a visio-like section. When I hit next it actually erased the whole diagram and I had to redraw it from scratch,

May 14, 2003

Anyone here taken the VCAP-DCD?

I've taken every revision of the vCAP-DCD exam. It's a collection of multiple choice, drag and drop and mock "visio" scenarios. You'll typically be given a set of requirements with a lot of mundane details that may have no basis in reality. It's up to you to answer the question within the scope of the requirements they give you.

They are testing your ability to follow direction, pay attention to details and align requirements to VMware solutions. I can't go into specifics but you may well be asked to design something that completely ignores best practices for instance.

May 14, 2003

QPZIL posted:

I lucked out in that I accidentally bought some old gear when I was setting up my home lab. I think one switch was still running 11.something, so I had to use VLAN database mode to configure stuff. I was pissed for like a week, thinking that my new (to me) switch wasn't able to work with VLANs, because there was no "vlan" command in global config mode :downs:

But in other news, I've finally gotten my CCNP ROUTE lab all set up :snoop: This is what you CCNA kids have to look forward to :smug:

I'm crossposting in the Home Lab thread in case anyone has any specific questions.

I spy a virtual link!

Redistribution almost kicked my rear end.

May 14, 2003

FFFFFFFFFFF the DCD is harder than I thought; I wish poo poo wasn't so laggy!

Are... are you posting from the test center somehow? haha

May 14, 2003

No, posting from my home pc.

Oh wait was that a joke on the fact that some of the "do X" is so delayed?

Also Hope people in the ICM classes now take it pre jan 1st for VCP5, I feel you may want to take it before the end of Feb at latest.

Rematch at Pex gently caress YOU DCD; maybe because I am closer to home base it will be less laggy?

Probably not less laggy. The test is administered via PearsonVue not VMware directly.

The VCAP-DCD has a lot of questions that basically test your attention to detail more than anything. That and the diagramming questions are probably the trickiest aspects of the tests.

When you're taking the exam don't think "what's the best practice or most practical way of achieving what is asked" but instead think "what will do exactly what was asked to the letter."

Also you may have noticed a few questions may have strayed away from strictly VMware stuff. It may have asked about specific types of applications on the test or assumed knowledge of things like WAN link speeds.

Where do you feel it most kicked you in the balls outside of lovely responsiveness from the testing application?

May 14, 2003

I used this for my ROUTE exam:
mplementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for the ROUTE 642-902 Exam (Foundation Learning Guides)

http://www.amazon.com/Implementing-...ords=CCNP+ROUTE

It pretty much feels like the "textbook" they build the test from.

May 14, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

At that point how is it done then... if .0 is always network and then .1 would be broadcast, how does that work without a host? Would the router be direct to the network?

There is no broadcast address in a /31 as it's not needed (it's for point to point after all!). Just a pair of IPs you could assign to hosts.

May 14, 2003

Xik posted:

Are there any decent providers of certification video material that are DRM free?

CompTIA/Cisco/Red Hat stuff.

INE cisco videos don't have any DRM on them.

May 14, 2003

incoherent posted:

HIPPA certs are a con on stupid management. I'm getting one, but the government does not recognise any of them.

As a first step: HIPAA not HIPPA

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/

May 14, 2003

Question:

CCNP-DC(DCUCI) were you that challenged my the questions or was it more of a "really they are asking me this?" on the exam.

I think they are great to new comers but wow do they fall short in some advanced things.

Mostly pedantic memorization of various details around unified compute. Should know how to do an integration of UCS within a 100% cisco environment, policies, templates, etc.

Also here's a CBT nuggets video on installing the platform emulator to get accustomed to the UI/UCS manager:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP9M3ArwDkQ

May 14, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

If a switch gets a frame with a mac it doesn't know it floods all ports (except the one it came in on) with a broadcast to FF FF FF FF FF FF to ARP the MAC.

Congrats, I take mine in 40 minutes.

Probably beating a dead horse at this point but don't confuse the ARP table with the ethernet forwarding table/CAM table/MAC table. While a switch can learn about where things are based on things like ARP requests it won't necessarily add these ARP entries itself.

Here's an example of an ARP table off one of my lab switches:
code:
hq-l-nx-csw1# show ip arp

Flags: * - Adjacencies learnt on non-active FHRP router
       + - Adjacencies synced via CFSoE
       # - Adjacencies Throttled for Glean
       D - Static Adjacencies attached to down interface

IP ARP Table for context default
Total number of entries: 251
Address         Age       MAC Address     Interface
10.13.0.3       00:14:08  547f.eec2.823c  Vlan401
10.14.1.3       00:13:55  547f.eec2.823c  Vlan301
10.14.0.3       00:14:13  547f.eec2.823c  Vlan300
10.14.0.5       00:00:05  0050.56b7.3fa9  Vlan300
10.14.0.71      00:00:08  0050.56b7.09b4  Vlan300
10.14.0.75      00:00:20  0050.56b7.54dc  Vlan300
10.14.0.91      00:00:14  0050.56b7.28ea  Vlan300
10.14.0.92      00:00:20  0050.56b7.391e  Vlan300
10.14.0.94      00:00:08  0050.56b7.696d  Vlan300
10.1.17.1          -      0000.0c9f.f01b  Vlan27
10.1.16.1          -      0000.0c9f.f01a  Vlan26
10.1.12.1          -      0000.0c9f.f015  Vlan22
10.1.9.1           -      0000.0c9f.f013  Vlan19
10.1.6.1           -      0000.0c9f.f010  Vlan16
10.1.4.1           -      0000.0c9f.f00e  Vlan14
10.1.2.1           -      0000.0c9f.f00c  Vlan12
10.1.0.1           -      0000.0c9f.f00a  Vlan10
This is a table of layer 3 addresses to layer 2 addresses and doesn't specifically point to any physical switchport. All of the VLAN interfaces are of course SVIs and the only reason this switch has so many ARP entries is because it's the default gateway for a bunch of my VLANs.

Here's the MAC table:

code:
hq-l-nx-csw1# show mac address-table
Legend:
        * - primary entry, G - Gateway MAC, (R) - Routed MAC, O - Overlay MAC
        age - seconds since last seen,+ - primary entry using vPC Peer-Link
   VLAN     MAC Address      Type      age     Secure NTFY   Ports/SWID.SSID.LID
---------+-----------------+--------+---------+------+----+------------------
+ 500      0007.430a.bc33    dynamic   0          F    F  Po1
* 401      0000.0c9f.f191    static    0          F    F  Router
* 401      002a.6aab.8a3c    static    0          F    F  Router
* 401      547f.eec2.823c    static    10         F    F  Po1
* 301      0000.0c9f.f12d    static    0          F    F  Router
* 301      002a.6aab.8a3c    static    0          F    F  Router
* 301      547f.eec2.823c    static    10         F    F  Po1
* 300      0000.0c9f.f12c    static    0          F    F  Router
* 300      002a.6aab.8a3c    static    0          F    F  Router
* 300      0050.56b7.0087    dynamic   0          F    F  Po12
* 300      0050.56b7.00c3    dynamic   0          F    F  Po11
* 300      0050.56b7.025e    dynamic   0          F    F  Po11
* 300      0050.56b7.0358    dynamic   0          F    F  Po11
* 300      0050.56b7.08c9    dynamic   0          F    F  Po11
* 300      0050.56b7.09b4    dynamic   0          F    F  Po12
* 300      0050.56b7.09ee    dynamic   10         F    F  Po11
* 300      0050.56b7.0c5d    dynamic   10         F    F  Po11
* 300      0050.56b7.10d8    dynamic   0          F    F  Po11
* 75       b0fa.ebab.f51d    dynamic   60         F    F  Po50
* 74       0000.0c9f.f04a    static    0          F    F  Router
* 74       0006.f612.46b1    dynamic   0          F    F  Eth1/5
* 74       0006.f612.46c2    dynamic   10         F    F  Eth1/5
* 74       002a.6aab.8a3c    static    0          F    F  Router
* 74       0050.568a.41ff    dynamic   40         F    F  Eth1/5
* 74       0050.568a.4257    dynamic   50         F    F  Eth1/5
* 74       547f.eec2.823c    static    0          F    F  Po1
This table only tracks MACs to switchports (most of my uplinks are port-channels out to either other switches or UCS fabric interconnects.) A switch can learn a MAC by just seeing the source MAC of an incoming frame without ARP necessarily needing to get involved.

As pointed out, unknown unicast will get flooded to all ports except the source port but it won't change the destination address to ffff.ffff.ffff.

May 14, 2003

CCNA Datacenter covers a lot of similar basic networking that the R+S does but doesn't deal as much with things like WAN connectivity. The Datacenter track also covers a little bit of storage networking and UCS as well.

Also I did a thing Friday:

So pretty jazzed about that.

May 14, 2003

psydude posted:

Congrats, dude! 12-16 weeks for your goddamned certificate? Can you at least download it from the CiscoLearning portal before then, or is that just how long it takes for them to verify the results?

It's apparently a plaque, a paper cert, and a couple gifts. They've already assigned my number and if you go to the verification tool and punch in my information it shows me as certified.

Thing I'm looking forward to most is automatic escalation of support cases!

May 14, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

A friend in an entry-level position with an IT company is trying to explain to me that MAC addresses are irrelevant and shouldn't be studied anymore, as we're studying for our CCENT/CCNA. He HATES MAC addresses for some reason, is convinced DCNA is all you need, and I don't have enough knowledge quite yet to explain everything to him in a 'please shut up, you're wrong' manner. Why is he wrong? Specifics/examples would be great.

I still do a lot of troubleshooting and tracing traffic through the network with tools like 'show ip arp' and 'show mac address-table.'

"Network is broken I can't ping that windows server!"

I can see if both MACs are on the network and if they are in the same VLAN then it's probably windows firewall.

Need to find a bunch of VMware virtual machines? Or hell trying to track down where a specific server is plugged in on the network because some dick doesn't update interface descriptions?

'show mac address-table | grep 0050.56'

Want to only let hosts ARP for their default gateway and nothing else? a MAC ACL is your answer.

Stuck using lovely microsoft NLB's on Nexus equipment? Guess who's getting ready to learn about static ARP entries!

May 14, 2003

So wait, to renew your VCDX you have to go from VCP->VCAP-DCD?

So like should I just say gently caress it and just go for VCDX v6? Feeling I should...

You just take the VCAP-DCD for the track your VCDX is in to renew it.

Should still take your VCP every other year since this is the one that counts for most partner agreements.

May 14, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Ehhhhh I plan to have RHCE by then. I guess I'll just have to cram it to do the December deadline for 6. Ah well.

What are you cramming with?

May 14, 2003

They look pretty far along actually:

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/certification/ccnp/9780133149883

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/certification/ccnp/9780133149906

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/certification/ccnp/9780133149890

May 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

Its time to renew that CCNA folks. Which should I choose?

SP Operations
Voice
Wireless

Take any CCNP exam. I'm fond of TSHOOT as the most fun.

May 14, 2003

psydude posted:

What did/do y'all have for your CCIE labs? Time to get off my rear end and get crankin' on this.

To prepare I basically mapped out a study plan that covered the next 12 months. It gradually ramped up more over time and I made sure to give myself time in between studying to "cool off" and avoid burnout.

For the first 3 months it was basically 4 hours a night 4 nights a week going through individual technology labs (either using an INE/IPExpert workbook or just straight up going through the blueprint). My goal was first to just get them done using whatever resources (google, blog posts, asking folks, whatever.)

The next 3 months I basically doubled my lab time and focused on solving problems using only Cisco provided documentation. I also started thinking of stupid scenarios that deal with the technology being used in ways you generally wouldn't find in the real world. An example might be to make sure that Router X has a specific OSPF router ID without using the 'router-id' command oh and by the way there's already a loopback with 223.255.255.254 configured and the router ID you need to use is say 99.100.1.1. Those sorts of contrived scenarios you hopefully never run into in the field.

The next 6 months were pretty painful. 8 hour lab days and 12 hour lab days where I can. At this point I'm taking a night off and this is where I started doing my mock full scale labs. Depending on which CCIE you're looking for you'll find INE, IPExpert or maybe even Cisco Press have some mock full scale labs you can do some self assessments. These are usually rated in difficulty by the authors so I saved the hardest ones for last and I didn't read ahead on any of them. Basically I didn't know what was in a mock lab until I sat down to go through it. Also start timing yourself. A big part of the challenge is getting something done in the allotted time.

The last couple months leading up to the exam I took some time off where I could to spend more time doing lab stuff. I also made sure to get a hotel as close to the lab exam as I could even though I live in the Bay Area. I basically wanted to make sure I woke up, had a good breakfast and could get to the testing center with as little stress as possible.

Things I did in the background:

1. Read every configuration guide cover to cover
2. Read chapters of books for things I needed clarity on.
3. Make sure you don't forget fundamentals so it's worth noodling on things like this: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/133976/reading-and-understanding-ospf-database
4. Teach others on the technology you're learning

If you don't pass your first go-round don't freak out as the second time will be a lot easier. You'll know what to expect and you'll probably get it the second time around.

May 14, 2003

psydude posted:

This sounds un-fun, but I'm glad to see Cisco hasn't watered down the CCIE. I'm wondering if it's feasible to do this while pursuing a masters in systems engineering, because I'm starting my program in the spring.

I'll be honest, for all the pain it was worth it to see that email in my inbox letting me know I passed. Dunno what the maters is going to take because I'm a college dropout but depending on your free time it may be difficult.

As an aside I started watching the route/switch advanced technology videos on INE and I'd say that might be a worthwhile resource as well.

May 14, 2003

psydude posted:

Are there any recommended CCIE podcasts? I need to do something on my commute other than listen to lovely awesome punk rock from my highschool days on Pandora.

I streamed the audio from the INE videos. You don't soak it all in 100% but you start to know where to pay attention later when you sit down and watch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

high six posted:

Bleh. Failed ICND2 again today. I was relatively close the first time (788) at the end of September. Actually did worse today. I used the Lammle book and packet tracer to study for ICND1 and ICND2 the first time. After failing it first, I got the Wendell Odom book to try and use. No good either. Can anyone give me some other things I should be studying?

What topics do you think kicked your rear end?