Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I've recently passed the ISSAP; for no other reason then to annoy self righteous know nothing CISSPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

CrazyLittle posted:

This... how is this even possible?

Going into management and getting stale and out of practice over time.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

psydude posted:

Who the gently caress still uses T568A.

Is there some new pinout sweeping the nation?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Back when I did lan cabling everything we installed was B. However, every yellow cat 5 cable I've found packed with a Cisco router has been A. Also, go look at a crossever cable sometime, one end is A, one end is B.

Point is, EIA/TIA 568A & B are both reasonable pinouts to be asked about on a test.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

doomisland posted:

I was more commenting on people still saying 'Class A/B/C' which no one uses anymore and haven't forever. It's only use is for understanding legacy networking. Keep on using /XX for subnets.

People conflate the two all the time. A common misconception is that anything/8 is a class A; anything /16 is a class B; and that anything/24 is a class C. Which is not the case.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Anyone here ever take the wireshark certification (WCNA)? I've been thinking about doing it just because it's something different.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
What VSAT system are you using that speaks frame relay?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

XakEp posted:

Got the email, confirmed the pass. Officially OSCP, now to CCIE R&S written.

Belated congratulations on this; the offensive security certs are no joke. Did you do any other security stuff prior to the OSCP such as the GPEN? My problem with a lot of the high end security stuff like pen testing, or forensics, or malware analysis is that it requires extensive host level knowledge. I've been in R/S for so long I have no idea how that world works. I'd be interested to know how you are maintaining expertise in such divergent fields.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Moey posted:

21. Using six subnet bits, how many usable subnets are created?

This is a really obtusely written question.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Passed the JNCIA-JUNOS today.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

CloFan posted:

Hey dudes! I work InfoSec at a small bank, and one of the things I mentioned in my interview (and bosses agreed with) was that I wanted to get some certificates under my belt. Here we are a year later-- I'm due for a raise at the end of this month, but I'm going to defer* and ask if in the mean time they'll pay for me to get A+ and S+. I believe they will; after that, I'd like to go for N+ because I really enjoy networking more than security, but I'm not sure if they'd pay for that since it's out of my field. I'm reading through the thread to learn a little more, but I just wanted to post and say :whatup:.

*Wife and I are building a house with help from a government grant, and I'm literally 6 bills below the maximum allowed annual income. I'm free to make however much once we start construction, but until then I can't make any more than I'm making now.

I'm somewhat confused that you're in an infosec position and looking at entry level generalist certs. What kind of job duties do you have?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Protokoll posted:

I need to draw up a development plan and have my director look it over, but he basically said don't go for your CCIE it's not worth it, so I think I know what he will want me to do.

Your director either knows nothing or is actively misleading you.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Anyone know of any good sources for non classroom Juniper training material similar to what IP Expert or INE has for Cisco?

Thus far I've found:

http://www.bowlercbtlabs.com/products/juniper-lab-cbt-video-series-1
https://networkfaculty.com/en/courses
https://www.proteus.net/books/jncie-sp-preparation-workbook
http://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training-videos/juniper

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I've got 15 years Cisco experience, and thus far Junos makes my head hurt. It seems like Juniper went out of their way to break all conventions established by Cisco just so they could have their own identity as Not Cisco.

For instance, in Junos the configuration commands are different than how the config is displayed. You can't copy/paste show config into another device as config changes like you can on Cisco. You either have to change the way the config is displayed, or change the way config commands are accepted.

config command vs show config
code:
root@r1# set interfaces lo0 unit 0 description this-is-a-loopback 

[edit]
root@r1# show interfaces lo0 
unit 0 {
    description this-is-a-loopback;
    family inet {
        address 100.100.100.100/32;
    }
}

[edit]
root@r1# 
alter show output
code:
root@r1# show | display set | match description 
set interfaces lo0 unit 0 description this-is-a-loopback

[edit]
root@r1#
alter command input
code:
root@r2# load merge terminal 
[Type ^D at a new line to end input]
interfaces {
    lo0 {
        unit 0 {
            description this-is-a-loopback;
               }
    }                                   
}
load complete

[edit]
root@r2#
It takes diseased minds to fiddle around with such fundamental functions.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Yeah, there are some nice features in JunOS like commit confirm. However it also contains dumb things like having to configure my own BGP AS number someplace outside the BGP config hierarchy for no clear reason.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

BigT posted:

I agree with the CCENT, in fact, if i see that or Network+ I dive in. The reason i recommend Net+ over CCNET is because the future is commodity hardware with open source software.

This is nuts for two reasons:

1. Good luck with a career in network infrastructure if you're going to exclude anyone who makes non open source products: Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, Dell, HP, Palo Alto, Riverbed, F5, etc.

2. The vast majority of the functionality from those vendors equipment is implementing open standards from the IETF and IEEE.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
The asdm gui is on the test. Which is annoying.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

ICE UP SON posted:

I didn't see GSEC mentioned in the OP for security. What do you security dudes think? I'm scheduled to take GSEC 401 boot camp next month with cert - coming from a sec admin background.

It's a reasonably respectable entry-ish level cert, and it's on the DoD list. It will cover networking, windows, and linux in a more technical fashion then the CISSP. It's somewhat overview level though, as SANS offers more in depth courses on all of those topics. I suppose it just comes down to what your goals are vs your current skill level vs your job responsibilities.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
The SEC 401 test isn't that bad. It's just irritatingly broad with network, linux, and windows content. Aside from the items you mentioned you may want to print out the help or man page for a few things:

net on windows
netstat on windows
netstat on linux
nmap
netcat
tcpdump
tshark

list of common wireshark display filters
list of port numbers/services

I'm probably running a lot of the 401/503/504 prep I did all together though. You'll know where you stand when you take your first practice test.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I passed the GIAC GCIA. It was annoying.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Paperwork obsessed ones.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

XakEp posted:

Got the email, officially Offsec OSCE certified. Man, my brain hurts. It was definitely worth it, but it took a lot out of me. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Does anyone know how the OSCP/OSCE compares to the GSE? Both in terms of difficulty and blueprint.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

GobiasIndustries posted:

A friend in an entry-level position with an IT company is trying to explain to me that MAC addresses are irrelevant and shouldn't be studied anymore, as we're studying for our CCENT/CCNA.

Don't listen to people with entry level knowledge. Also, there are many people with several years of experience still operating with entry level knowledge.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I've taken 401, 502, 503, 504, and 572.

504 is one day of IR process, then four days of pen test light. John Strand is pretty good with this class, but depending on your goals 511 or 560 might be better.
503 is about as intimate as you'll ever get with packet headers. Lots of tcpdump, wireshark, and snort. Mike Poor or Johannes Ulrich would be good for this class.
502 seemed to be mostly a rehash of 504 and 503 content. The unique content in this course is IP tables rules.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Passed CCIE-RS written this weekend. Ugh...v5.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
It was just the written.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

psydude posted:

Now that I'm getting heavily into the security field, I'm wondering if Cisco certifications are even worth pursuing anymore outside of a career-broadening fashion (which pretty much stops at the CCNP level).

Depends on what aspect of security you're doing. The networking knowledge you'll get from Cisco certs will certainly be of value for layer 2 hardening, firewalls, vpns, ids/ips, full packet capture, and network forensics. It's not going to help with host level forensics on a windows box, or reverse engineering malware though. The aforementioned SANs roadmap is a good thing to look at.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
For reasons I don't fully remember I did the SANS GIAC GPPA.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
GPPA turned out to have a lot of overlap with the GCIH and GCIA material.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
They have offices in Herndon, close enough.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I am now a JNCIS-ENT. Yay, or something.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Wheeee...I have a JNCIS-SP now.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
If you can do the OSCP you should be able to sleep through the CISSP.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Are there other security certifications that are valued?

I just learned about the GSEC from SANS, is that valuable to anyone?

The SANS GIAC stuff is pretty good. Cisco & Juniper have their own security tracks. Actually, pretty much any vendor will have a cert for their own products.

Find something apropos to your area of interest and go for it.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I have a CCIE R/S; I passed the v4 lab in 2010. I have no idea if that IP Expert topology is representative of the current lab or not. The troubleshooting section I had in V4 was about 30 routers, but the build portion was still just 6 routers, 4 switches, 3 backbone devices. The number of devices in troubleshooting actually made things easier, the issue tickets all concerned different sets of routers with no inter-dependencies.

INE makes a lot of good study material. For a lab I'd suggest looking into VIRL, it fills in the layer 2 stuff that GNS3 won't do. Additionally it allows running IOS-XE, IOS-XR, and ASA (not necessarily relevant to the R/S material though).

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Ahdinko posted:

Will VIRL do all the stuff I need? I remember looking at it when it came out last year and being a bit disappointed but to be honest I haven't read much on it since. I've got switches coming out of my ears, 10+ 3560's I can play with here, but routers are where I might come up short. I've got probably 5x 881/887/891's, 2x 1841's and 2 x 1941's. I've got two 2900's of some model that I can't think of right now, a 3925E and a 4451-x.
I've gotta send one of the engineers out to go and decom about 20 1841's though so I'll be up to my eyeballs in those if theyre any use for CCIE.

The latest release of VIRL added the layer 2 & ASA VM images. Physical gear is great if you have it, depends on what you want to do. Physically mirroring an IPExpert or INE lab topology may still involve finding different interfaces, or having to adapt to different interface numbers from what is in the vendor initial configs. INE already has adapted their CCIE RS v5 workbook topology to VIRL:

http://blog.ine.com/2014/12/04/using-cisco-virl-for-ccie-preparation/
http://ieoc.com/forums/t/31223.aspx

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

psydude posted:

That does not, however, preclude you from having to know the poo poo in a job interview.

Trick question, CISSPs don't know poo poo.

I'll be here all week, try the veal!

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Take this also:

-man page for tcpdump
-man page for snort
-man page for whatever netflow application they covered (don't remember what it was)
-list of ip protocol numbers in decimal, hex, and binary
-as many tcpdump & bpf filter cheat sheets as you can find
-ip/tcp/udp header diagrams, fields, bits, etc

http://packetlife.net/media/library/12/tcpdump.pdf
http://packetlife.net/media/library/13/Wireshark_Display_Filters.pdf
http://packetlife.net/media/library/23/common_ports.pdf
http://taviso.decsystem.org/files/tcpdump_quickref.pdf
http://biot.com/capstats/bpf.html
https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sh...2fa0330d0a56aa2

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I don't recall the test being radically different in tone or difficulty vs the practice tests. You should have two practice attempts. Make use of both of them with the notes, index, and whatever supplemental materials you choose to print out.

I took the GCIA in early 2014 and passed with 90% while looking up a lot of the stuff in my notes/book. It's entirely doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I thought the CCNP Security was just revamped? The current version has an entire test dedicated to ISE.