Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Stealing it right up front.

I want someone to answer this man's question AND answer "how do you get 4,500 hours of project management experience without the project management cert?"

Mantle and I eagerly await your advice!

My father is taking the PMP next month. He's worked for the last few years a Systems Architect and they are counting that as project management experience for the certification. As his job description and duties fall within what they consider acceptable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

psydude posted:

As others have said, that's a simple diagram to model access and distribution switches. In a reality, there could be a number of reasons for that arrangement. The most common scenario is physical separation of the host machines: different floors or hallways. There's also the issue of the physical limitations of copper. You generally want as short of a distance as possible from your hosts to the access layer switch, because copper can only carry a decent signal around 300 feet (and that's pushing it). From there, you'll have a fiber uplink to your distribution or core switches, which in large buildings and campuses can be several hundred to several thousand feet away.

Cat5/6 specs says you can run cable to 100m (328ft) for GigE, 10GigE on Cat6 is limited to 55M at guaranteed ratings. After that you run into cross talk and other issues, you can run the cable considerably longer distances if you're not concerned about meeting the performance spec. That said, running copper that distance is never a good idea and fiber will almost always prove to be a better choice :)

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Is doing the upgrade from MCITP:EA (08R2) to the MCSE: Server Engineer (2012)? I just passed the 70-413 exam today and have 70-417 scheduled for 01FEB2013. I don't know why I took it out of order but hey whatever. If anyone has taken the 70-417 upgrade exam any pointers on what to look out for?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Frag Viper posted:

For MS certs, is it recommended to start off with MTA? Or can I dive straight in to MSCA?

Looking at the paths for MSCA it looks like to get certified its 3 exams? The website doesn't specifically stat the requirement. It just lays out three steps.

You're welcome to drive into the MCSA/MSCE track the MCSA for 2012 should be 3 tests 70-410, 70-411, and 70-412 It doesn't matter at all what order you take them in.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

MJP posted:

Sorry but do you mean "core installation" as in Server Core, or was it just on a basic install as in "here's a server, install 2k12 on it"? They still test on that?

Christ, there's lots of useful stuff that I covered on the MCITP 2k8 certs I took but Server Core was the least useful, and that's saying a lot given how much the MS exams expect you to know.

I passed 70-417 on Friday, he means Server Core. You should also know the PoSH cmdlets for AD administration (group policy especially), and the proper places to manage a Windows Server Cluster and its settings.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

BobSaget posted:

Harder to discover hosts on a network. Network scans use ping sweeps.

There are some web servers. Such as 4.4.4.4 that get pinged like crazy by tons of people to see if the internet is up and working. If this starts happening to a box you are paying for you may want to turn it off.

Edit: By web servers I mean servers on the web. 4.4.4.4 is a DNS iirc.

4.4.4.1-4.4.4.5 are Level 3 DNS servers

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

penga86 posted:

I'm currently studying for the 70-640 and after reading and rereading Microsoft's certification site, I'm still confused. I can take 70-640, 642 and 646 prior to July and get the MCSA 2008, which I can then convert to MCSA 2012 by taking 70-417. Then I can take 413 and 414 to get MCSE.

Is this correct?

The only reason I want to go the 2008 route is because I had already purchased study guides for the 2008 tests not to mention I've only ever really worked with 2008 servers in the real world.

That's correct.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

ChoLo posted:

This is the path I went with, the upgrade test is extremely easy at the moment. If you have a solid 2008 background this should be relatively easy for you to pass.

Most of the stuff on the exam related to changes from 2008 to 2012 such as the IPAM and some changes to "DCPromo" eventually this exam will get more difficult.

Agreed, passed the upgrade test in Feb for MCSA, sit for 70-414 next Friday. Any gotcha's I should be looking for?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

theperminator posted:

Awesome, still one more exam to do but it's better than three!

:edit: after looking, MCSA 2008 = 640, 642 and 646 (MCITP Server Administrator)
I'm doing MCITP:EA which in my case is 640, 642, 643, 680 and 647 and doesn't automagically get me MCSA 2008, I'd have to sit the 646 exam to get the MCSA vert.
Seems like a bit of a bloody jip to me. pass more exams seems to equal get screwed over even more.

I have the MCITP:EA and automagically obtained the MCSA2008 cert which i then upgraded to MCSA2012 and am sitting for the final test 70-414 for MCSE2012 on Friday.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

penga86 posted:

Well i failed with a 570 score. I feel like a moron. Guess I'll brush up on certificates because I got killed on those questions.

Suck :( Don't take it too bad atleast you know where your weakness is and can brush up. I can tell you that certificates and ADRMS were a huge portion of 70-414. I managed to just pass it (790/1000) today.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

MJP posted:

How long did it take for you to study for the 414 and 413? I looked at the objectives and they seem like big jumps from the stuff I even have peripheral experience with from MCSA 2k3 and 2k8. They also seem so heavy into Hyper-V that it doesn't seem too worth it given that I haven't really seen many Hyper-V environments in use.

Either way I figure it'd be a stretch to get either before Second Shot expires, but if the MS Press book for 417 is indicative of the readability/usability of their 413/414, I may just go with what they have instead of Sybex or ExamPrep if they ever make 'em.

I took a beta course on 70-413 and 70-414 offered by Microsoft, the course is now available to the general public. Along with those courses and home lab work it took me ~30days to study for each exam. I would recommend you know everything there is in terms of AD Federation Services, AD Rights Management and Certificate Services as well as what portions of the System Center suite do what. 70-413 and more so in 70-414 are very much pushing the 'cloud os' vision. The exams test you on the whole Microsoft solution stack, and how you can best design, implement and support the private cloud infrastructure and not just Windows Server 2012

Nebulis01 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 17, 2013

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Chivas Aribas! posted:

Just passed the 70-412 and now I am a full MCSA. Woop Woop!

Anyone starting an MCSE path? I am split between Private Cloud and Messaging but it doesn't look like there is much training out there for either.

I took the old tests for MCSE:PC, if you use the System Center stack on a regular basis you should be OK, if not be prepared to set it all up in labs for training.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

QPZIL posted:

Update, the 70-411 is a pain in the rear end, but I managed to squeak out with an 816.

Phew, I feel like a truck hit me I was so nervous about this one. Time to start reading for the 70-412!

Congrats! Wait until you hit 70-414, it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Docjowles posted:

Is that MS cert a rubber stamp joke like the VCA or closer to the VCP end? Phone browsing at the moment so hard to tell.

I'd venture closer to the VCP side, it's only a single cert so there' not expecting expert level architecture knowledge just 'this is Hyper-V/SCVMM and this proves i can work it'

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

TKovacs2 posted:

I'm still waiting for there to an actually decent book released for any of the exams...

If you're not heart set on books the MS Virtual Academy is quite nice. Today they just posted training for 70-417 (http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/upgrade-skills-to-windows-server-2012-jump-start#?fbid=EtfTq1kVZc5)

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Effective 15SEP2014 SQL/Server 2012 MCSAs now have elective 3rd tests to complete the certification

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/...-available.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Traffic Reporter posted:

When you say 2012 mcse are you talking about the server infrastructure one or one of the others? I thought mcse's are supposed to be significantly more challenging than the mcsa stuff, but after recently taking the 74-409 I'm feeling incredibly comfortable with Hyper-V and system Center. If they're actually that heavily focused on Hyper-V I may have to look into that while it's all still fresh in my memory...

The MCSE: Private Cloud cert is heavily focused on implementing the entire system center stack with a large portion being 'this is how it all ties in to hyper-v and makes on prem cloud amazing'