Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

1000101 posted:

CCNP Switch down.. Never have to take another test with wireless on it again for as long as I live!

Hahaha that's a good one. Cisco's wireless revenue growth has been holding steady at around 35% year-over-year, and most of the other enterprise wireless providers have seen pretty much the same thing. With .11n being roughly as fast as wire speed in the real world and MUCH cheaper to deploy, the emphasis on wireless is only going to grow. There's going to be a dedicated Cisco wireless cert before the end of the decade, I'd bet a paycheck on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Sorry, I meant dedicated entry-level wireless, and not a track of something else. CCWA has a nice ring to it.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

How ballsy would it be to schedule 640-802 one day and SWITCH, ROUTE, and TSHOOT the next? I'm confident I can sit the CCNA and destroy it but I need some motivation to push through what I'm weak on for the CCNP.

edit
Goddammit I literally put down my SWITCH book to post that, I'm so bad at studying

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Screw you for knowing too much! Pass4Sure is the worst

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Ganon posted:

You're really dumping the CCNP?

CCNA, and just to make sure I know the Cisco answer to things. I've been doing Cisco netadmin work for going on 5 years now. There's a difference between dumping to sit an exam you'd bomb otherwise, and doing it to know that Cisco doesn't allow "do" or "sh" on the exam.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Look I get the argument, that brain dumping enables people to get jobs they aren't qualified for, but I've been doing the job for a while already

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Sickening posted:

You aren't qualified for the cert. gently caress you, move on.

Apply for the position I'm leaving. Good luck!

I didn't mean to open the braindump can of worms, I just thought it was dumb that having worked with Aruba and knowing what GRE is made Pass4Sure call me wrong.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

routenull0 posted:

Am I reading that job posting right?

Basic Qualifications: CCIE

Additional: (not required but nice to have) - CCNA, CCNP

Backwards ya think?

If you just have a CCIE you're good, otherwise you'd better have CCNP and a strong resume, or CCNA and a strong resume and great references.

psydude posted:

What's that pay, anyway? For what they're expecting, anything less than 250 is laughable.

I was just filling the slot for a few months when a guy left so I don't know the exact pay. I'd guess closer to the 3 range though, my salary starts with a 2 and I'd be nowhere near qualified for it if I hadn't worked my way up to it.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Gap In The Tooth posted:

People who need the piece of paper just to get past HR aren't going to be after practice tests that prove they know their poo poo, they are going to want to sit real dumps so they know the marketing bullshit de jour or the exact level or knowledge they are supposed to demonstrate, because they can't skip CCNA and straight do CCNP. These people miss out on great opportunities because enterprise HR or automated software are scanning for acronyms.

This, exactly, is what I was trying to say. If I'm holding down a Sr. Net Eng position now, and I want a job that requires a CCNA fairly soon, I'd rather braindump stupid poo poo like OSPFv3's IPv6 multicast address than study for a month to memorize it. One, because I don't give a gently caress what OSPFv3's IPv6 multicast address is, and two, because odds are whoever's doing the technical interview doesn't give a gently caress either. It's just not an economic use of time, especially when I'm competing with 100 FYGM assholes that dumped every cert they have.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that someone lacking the aptitude to succeed in the role targeted by the cert should absolutely take the time to learn the material. The other side of the time economy coin is that it's a huge waste of time to bomb 20 technical interviews because you effectively lied about your qualifications.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Without Googling it, what's the default AD for IGRP

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

routenull0 posted:

"It's not about what you know, but who you know"

I don't have an issue with networking with people. I try to do it as often as I can, especially in the DoD arena. The more people that recognize my name, the better chances at that GS15 I got :)

Pissing off (or on) Obama is basically the only way to get fired as a GS15 right?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

routenull0 posted:

No. GS15 is nothing if you are looking at civil service from an Obama perspective. You first need to move from GS15 to SES to get on the radar, then things get interesting.

Seriously? I'm only a GS13 equivalent, not even a real GS13, and I already trump everybody except CSM, generals, and emergency leave when it comes to flights.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

psydude posted:

Which is why our utterly useless "Senior" Network Engineer is still around. Contractors do 90% of the actual work at my job.

Look I told you I'm leaving soon, you don't have to rub it in

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Either the terminology is changing completely with 200-101 or Wendell Odom is a poo poo writer, because I've been doing networking for a while and I can't ever remember anyone saying something like "these two routers are part of an Ethernet". Lammle needs to hurry up and put out his book, I don't care if he doesn't have proofreaders and his grammar is kindergarten level, he's way better than Odom.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

I've got some time to kill before my job starts and I want to do a little light reading to expand my skills before then. Which book is less bad, Lammle's CCNA Wireless, Brandon Carroll's CCNA Wireless, or Cioara's CCNA Voice? None of these will be immediately applicable to my job, and I'm not planning on taking either of those certs anytime soon.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Learn about OSPF with the greatest IT video ever made.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't feel bad, I just got the poo poo kicked out of me on my 70-411 too. The 70-410 was pretty easy to practice all the concepts in a home lab but I'm not really sure how to practice making VPN tunnels and such in a home lab without taking a break to get a much better understanding of networking.

As much as I feel like the Network+ is a massive waste of time for anybody interested in going down the infrastructure path, it's a pretty good primer for non-networking focused people. Obviously skip poo poo like the encoding techniques of various 802.11 specifications or anything about token ring. I'd argue that everyone in IT should be able to pass the "can I explain it to a 6 year old" test for subnetting, routing, switching, and layer 2/3/4 communications. On the other side of the coin, I've met quite a few network spergs and I could make the case that without being able to do basic automation tasks, scripting, or basic Windows server tasks like configuring DHCP, unless you work in a really specific environment, you're also a huge waste of space (or forever stuck at the NOC / help desk). Everything overlaps these days, embrace it, don't fight it.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

973 on 200-101. loving finally that's over, never should have let that poo poo lapse.

The CBT Nuggets are great, I used a mixture of CCNA/CCNP ROUTE for it, and a fuckton of GNS3 for frame relay practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Subnetting is one of those things that you either use ALL THE TIME so you don't even have to do the math anymore, or you never use so it takes a bit. If you absolutely have to know that poo poo rote for the cert then never look at it again, this and this are awesome practice.