Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

psydude posted:

How much rote memorization is required for ROUTE? I'm hearing that it's basically nothing but configuration simulators. Will I need to remember obscure details about random crap like for the CCNA, or is the lab book pretty much what's actually going to make or break me?

I took mine back in early 2011. I can tell you if you know the material in the LAB book, it's overkill for the sim questions. Nonetheless, the lab material is good to know for real world situations. If you are following the cert guide book, you need to know at least the keypoints. If you can effectively summarize each chapter, it'll go a long way in helping you. There's also knowing what cisco commands does what in order to apply in this situation type questions. You definitely need to know your EIGRP/OSPF and redistribution between routing protocols. Everything else is a blurr.

I'll have to brush up on LAN routing protocols for TSHOOT in a couple of months however. Should be fun to go back through ROUTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

routenull0 posted:

The NP:SP looks to have some odd requirements, like NA:SP or any one of the older CCIP exams passed, but not an actual NP before you can take it. I was going to start on taking the NP exams this month to finish them by end of April, but I enjoy the SP world way more, so I might go that route, but first knock out NA:SP I guess.

The biggest problem getting into CCNP:SP is having access to IOS XR. I would not pursue this cert unless you can get access to it or maybe until there is emulation for it.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

psydude posted:

So I'm taking ROUTE on Saturday. Any major areas I should focus on for last minute studying? I know there's a ton of sims.

If you can do the ROUTE lab manual, you'll not have problems with the sims.
Know your redistribution as well. All I can recall at the moment.

Good luck.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Does anyone actually use frame relay any more? Surely it's so drat slow at this point that it is no longer useful.

I know of one major too big to fail bank that still uses it.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Jelmylicious posted:

Except that Cisco isn't even consistent with itself. Just compare IOS with IOS XR, ASA or NXOS. Show interface ip brief vs. Show ip interface brief?
Or within IOS itself:
Ip hello-interval eigrp and ip ospf hello-interval.
I know some of these are for legacy reasons, but I much prefer the hierarchical CLI of junos or ios xr. The added length of the commands are a small price to pay. And I love that junos uses parentheses.

IOS to XR etc basically shows that IOS was showing its age and definitely took hints from junOS. I'm getting more comfortable with XR but I sure as hell miss the show | compare and commit check commands in junOS. It was a great way to make sure I didnt gently caress over anything in my config changes. Also display set beats the hell out of show run formal. What to know a hosed up router/switch OS? Try Alcatel Timos. Working with the GUI is better than working on the cmd line.

My ROUTE expires at the end of the year I think so I really need to get SWITCH done in the next two months but :effort:

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
Anyone have ine access pro pass? I'm on the fence on getting it for a few months.

It seems like ine is trying to sell the pass over buying individual courses and material or am I reading the benefits incorrectly?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

1000101 posted:

AAP is a subscription so they're probably motivated to get you onboard. That said I was pretty happy with mine. Depending on the track the videos are pretty informative.

What you looking at studying?

The CCIE SPv4 coursework but it'll be a little overkill for what I need. I'm looking to take SPCORE/SPEDGE to upgrade my old CCIP to CCNP:SP by the end of next month.
I work with 9922/9010 ASRs with a tier1 provider. I obviously cant screw with production routers but it's good practice to trace out things with. I'd really like to mess around with INE's labs and use their vids as topic overviews.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I decided to take a plunge and bought cisco VIRL. The VM requires at least a dedicated 16GB to run like 1Kv, 2xIOSXRv, 4xIOSv topology CE=>PE=>PC=> C => PC =>PE =>CE basically if you are familiar from the service provider standpoint.

I'd say probably not worth the investment unless you got a powerful dedicated box that some of the INE pros run with like 64GB and dual xeon etc.

Stick to GNS3 folks, it works though building networks can be tedious. That was one neat feature in VIRL. IOUL2 is still buggy as gently caress in VIRL too.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
After spending my current work years on optical and backbone networking, I think it's time to jump back into the big leagues. My four year work anniversary just passed. Failed to recert my CCNA because I was too lazy to work on upgrading my CCIP to CCNP:SP. As I look back at all the notes I made and my efforts spent honing concepts, I'm feeling the second wind. I've had a nice year long break post loss, it's time get back on the saddle. Maybe now that VIRL isnt a piece of poo poo (is it still slow as poo poo?) and GNS3 2.0 out, I'm ready to push back to the top and finish my virt server. This is all just review.

1) Get CCNA back by end of the summer. 2). Get CCNP done by fall. 3) Get back on CCNP SP track by end of the year.

Let's go champ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Eletriarnation posted:

What were you doing with it last time, and on what kind of hardware? I've had no problem using it for three XR hosts, a traffic generator and a switch but I had a lot of cores to work with. From what I know it's based on KVM so I would expect performance to be similar.

It's was a year and a half ago, but I was trying i think a 4 core mesh with 4 edges mixing in like a 7600 image on basically a standard "power user desktop" and 32GB of RAM. I was just studying IOSXR EDGE implementation. Moving from my previous job that dealt to a new job that doesnt took a toll. I think it ultimately scored in the mid 70s and it was probably 3-4 questions off but failed. Click all that apply questions really trip me.