Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a good book for Lync? Either 2010 or 2013 is fine but MS doesn't seem to have a book and a cursory look at Amazon didn't find anything :( My company does MSP stuffs and contract work so Lync would be a good thing to have. Thanks guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I need some guidance. I've been doing helpdesk for quite a bit of time. I feel like it's time to start specializing more into things I'm interested in but don't know where to go with it.

Basically, I enjoy communication and organization and standards. I'm fine with servers but where do I go from there? Exchange? Cisco? Lync? Any suggestions would be great. :science:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Organization and standards? Those are awfully abstract. Project management? CAPM then PMP?

For an example, I look at different client's AD structures and just shiver at how unorganized they are and how there no standards for users or security or anything :negative:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
With all that being said, you've sort of hit on a spot I've always been fascinated by and that's data centers. Would doing the DCICT be a good start towards that?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm starting to read on ICND1. Is there any sites to help with learning the binary conversions and such? I'll definitely need help with that. I know there's a subnet test site but that comes later.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

MrBigglesworth posted:

This is a chart I whipped up in Excel

Have I express my love for you? If not, I love you. :worship:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Work is offering a nice promotion provided I can get these certs for Office 365 (70-346/347). Problem is, I'm not finding a lot of useful information aside from stuff at MVA. Any suggestions?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Sitting my ICND1 Wednesday. Currently trying not to breathe through a bag the closer it gets :(

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How much studying have you done?

A week worth of class. Decent amount of reading and subnet practice. The latter is still beating me up.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I don't want to scare you or anything but I hope you have some hands on experience to back up a week of studying. I would consider a month satisfactory unless you're rainman or something.

Yeah, I work with it. It isn't every day but I can get around and diagnose most issues. The week was just the class. I've been reading/watching videos since. Mostly I'm just worried about subnetting and ospf. I'm just not 100% solid on those.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ashley Madison posted:

Reschedule the exam and practice until you know subnetting almost by memory. I wouldn't risk wasting the money because you're still shaky on any of the topics you're going to be tested on.

I guess I should've put it as I understand it\can do it but I have problems doing math in my head. OSPF is only shaky in the idea that I might get a question wrong on which route it would take if given just a diagram without values, if that makes any sense in how I'm explaining it. Sorry for the confusion :( Tests make me nervous and this test is important to me.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Didn't pass my CCENT exam :( Thankfully, I understand what I did wrong and can refocus on that.

600 with a 800 needed to pass so I wasn't too far off.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Bigass Moth posted:

That's actually really far off.

:shrug: I expect the worst so it was a bit of a confidence boost to not bomb completely horribly.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

As I don't have many friends that work in IT, and my wife just smiles and nods when I try to talk about this, I have to post here just to say how nice it is once subnetting finally just clicks. That's all. :v:

I'm learning subnetting for my CCENT. If I try to explain to my wife, I don't even get past binary conversion and her eyes gloss over :v:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've decided dealing with Servers is easier on my brain than doing network junk but I'm just not sure where to go.

I've got the Server 2012 certs done. I just have no clue where to go from here. I considered SCCM but I've always got this want to do more CLI based stuff at the same time so should I just go for something RHEL related or maybe look at Chef more? :confused:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My best friend finally convinced me to get back on the CCENT horse after failing it 3 times a couple years ago. Is there a good refresher set of videos? I tend to learn visually better.

I know subnetting was a bad weakness but I want to make sure I'm shored up on everything else again before I crack down on subnetting.

It's only hard cause I'm pretty terrible with numbers in my head when they get too large.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
It's not technically a certification but are there some good videos for learning DNS and best practices for it? I haven't gotten to really touch it in years so I need to refresh myself from scratch.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I need to get some advice as I'm starting to lose direction\doubt myself.

I recently asked for some advice from some IT people on a direction to go for myself. I said I enjoyed Active Directory, Powershell, general server work, best practices for security and ease of users getting to things smoothly and was recommended Identity Engineer. Learn SAML, Azure, OAuth, etc. The problem is, I have 0 idea where to start or if watching videos on Youtube for stuff like SAML and then taking an Azure cert for getting past HR filter. :shrug: I know I want to get out of helpdesk and I liked managing O365\Azure AD a while back so I'm a little lost. Which Azure cert? Should I tweak it and learn more virtualization\cloud junk? Is over 10+ years of Helpdesk just completely ruined me?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

The Iron Rose posted:

Oracle mini webseries on oauth 2.0 that i'm going through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEysfgIbqlg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZX7554l8hY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVCzv50BslE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CHpnTysVOo

everyone's moving to the cloud, so cloud certs are a great place to start. don't be married to Azure either, AWS and GCP both have excellent cert paths that don't involve dealing with azure's microsoft-y ish and identity management principles are pretty consistent across cloud/onprem and cloud providers individually.

also being a self starter about this won't hurt. you're losing direction? that's fine, just so long as you're learning. watch those random youtube videos.

also do a lot of home lab stuff. build an IM system with riot.io. create your own VPN tunnel and bastion-hosts. start running your own personal DNS resolver with a pihole and unbound in the cloud. looking like someone who is ambitious and a self starter is often more important than years under your belt or certifications.

I'm really late in responding but thank you so very much for this. This plus a few other things I've found this weekend are a HUGE help in where I want to be!

I'm not trying to make excuses but my ADHD tends to go in random directions so having a list of things makes everything easier for me.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've decided I'm going to get certified in all 3 Cloud providers. It's a good start to doing other stuff I'm interested in. I currently can't afford CloudGuru\PluralSight, is there some recommended YouTube channels for learning?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Are the Udemy courses good enough to get most of the way at least in starter certs for stuff like Google Cloud, AWS? I know MS has their own learning for Azure. I can't really afford the monthly of CloudGuru right now.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
As a curiosity, I'm wanting to learn more cloud\container\automation stuff. I know a few certs I need to go for but what would be a good path for getting my feet under linux since, as far as I know, it's more commonly used when dealing with container\automation stuff.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

LochNessMonster posted:

Get an RHCSA book like Sander van Vugt. Read it and do the labs/exercises. Then repeat the labs until you can do them blindfolded and take the exam. If you like it, repeat it for RHCE (for RH7 it was 1 book for both exams, not sure if it's the same for 8).

This will give you a very good base for Linux in general and Red Hat specifically. It even gets you started with containers. Since it's hands on it's really valuable when it comes to job hunting. You can't exam cram your way out of this exam.

Here are the objectives for the exam

Yeah, I think a cert would help push me along since all of my current verifiable skillset is Windows based. I'll use that, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Any good video based learning for SCCM? MS Learn doesn’t have a whole lot. I wasn’t sure how good the Udemy course is.