Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Passed ICND1 a year ago for my CCENT, should I take ICND2 or the composite exam for my CCNA? I've heard conflicting stories about which is the best way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Well, gently caress. I just took ICND2 200-101 and flunked (got 801, needed 825).

Used the official cert guide & the practice exams that came with it, plus Boson's practice exams. Was getting 950-1000 on the practice exams, with all the question & answer order randomized, plus all the book questions and part questions. Same strategy got me like 920 the first try on ICND1, but like 25% of this exam was just :wtc:

Sort of don't know what to do now preparation-wise other than cramming the cert guide some more and hope more minutae sticks when I re-take it in a week or so. Is there a practice exam that's a better match to the real one to use? Some other poo poo I'm not thinking of?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Renegret posted:

You got plenty of time.

In fact, I say you should move the date a week closer so if you fail you have time to take it again with a better understanding of what you need to know.

e: I'm taking ICND2 at the end of August and I just started studying. Passed 1 with a month and a half of studying, and I could've done it faster.

Please ignore the fact that I'm a lonely goon who lives alone and has no family responsibilities so I have unlimited time to study.

The big warning I'd give about ICND2 (now that I just passed it today :haw:) is that none of the practice exams I've tried really correlate that well to the actual exams. Official study guide DVD exams, Boson ExSim Max, Cisco's official practice exams - all kind of lovely. This was the opposite of my experience with ICND1, where the Boson practice exams in particular were very close to the real thing to the point where my scores between the two were almost identical.

That might have just been the luck of the draw or whatever, but it was a nasty surprise when 1/4 of the topics in the practice exams weren't there at all and 1/4 of the exam questions were topics just glossed over (at best) in the practice exams.

You need to take a few practice exams to prepare regardless, but spend the last week or so focusing more on memorizing all the spergy details in the study guide.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Renegret posted:

difficulty wise, how does it compare to ICND1?

I felt like the ICND1 test didn't match up to my practice exams either because the actual test was far easier than what I practiced with and studied for. I'm feeling a little too confident about it and I half expect to crash and burn miserably as a result of my hubris.

ICND2 was definitely harder for me, because it seemed to be consistently more skewed towards testing your brute force memorization of minutiae than ICND1, and I'm worse at that.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Renegret posted:

welp

I'm boned

You should be fine for time, just focus on the key topics in the study guide, especially the week before. Do practice tests periodically but once you get 900+ on them quit giving a poo poo about the last 10% and focus on re-reading the tables of fussy poo poo about every kind of spanning tree and poo poo like that. The simulation questions are the easiest part if you are any good with the CLI, especially EIGRP and OSPF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Renegret posted:

It's more that memorizing stupid minutiae is my weakest point. I'm fine for simulations and anything that requires that you show an understanding of a concept, but before every single cert test I've taken I've had to cram things like common port numbers and the classful IP ranges because I have a poo poo memory and I never need to use them for work. Part of the reason I did so well on ICND1 was because half the test was a subnetting, which is a skill, and the simulations were far easier than I expected so I was over prepared for them.

ICND2 will mark my 4th cert test, you'd think I'd have some of the easy stuff committed to memory by now but nope.

I'm bad at rote memorization as well.

:smith::respek::smith: