Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

To those of you who took the ccnet then ccna route what would you say you had to focus on the most? I feel comfortable in the CLI and configuring switches and routers but am worried about subnetting via pen and paper and some of the memorization of ports, cable specifications, etc. Basically I get bad test anxiety and won't end up taking the test until I know I've got everything down pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Has anyone here taken the Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP) exam? I'm having a real hard time staying motivated to actually finish studying and take the exam. It seems to combine the mundane A+ type questions with the windows type exams of "know exactly what it says on this tab under system properties".

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone offer any insight into the ITIL Foundation exam? Just basically a matter of memorizing all of their annoying acronyms and flow charts? Anything I should really focus on?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

Lucky bastard.

Got mine too! I think I signed up initially for the wait list in August. Excited to start studying but I really need to get a lab up and going for when I take the test.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

To anyone who has taken the vcp course through Stanley Community College, how much did you use the required book? It's like $45, I've never heard mention of it and I think I'd rather just spend the money on the Scott Lowe book.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I read through this once and passed http://technologydice.com/ITIL%20Book.pdf

I don't know if it's :files: or not, but it came up when I googled "itil pdf"

The test is ridiculously easy.

Thank you so much for this! I had similar $reasons$ to start studying for that and have gotten side-tracked in the last month with a new dog and family matters. It's probably the single most dry boring material I've ever had to study for. I needed a cram type guide to study and get it out of the way before I start on my VCP class.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sub Rosa posted:

Today is Day 1 of the Stanly course, and I live in North Carolina, but I'm cracking up at how much of a southern accent the guy in the videos has. I love that people around the world are taking this course. VMWare: Install, Configger, Manage

I'm in that course to! Looking forward to getting my lab finished to really study hard and take the test in a few months.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Yep! I posted on Page 81 of this thread looking for study materials. After Fiendish Dr. Wu replied, I read the guide he sent me for a few days. Took the test 5 days after my post and passed.

drat. I need to get off my rear end and finish that test. I've read through just the first couple pages of that book that was posted. Is it pretty much just memorizing all of their vocab and acronyms?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Reiz posted:

I disagree, especially for the CCENT.

I've always been a good booklearner, and I studied for both exams while I was living in California off of less than $2k in savings so I ended up taking it very seriously, so I can see why somebody who already has a decent job and doesn't need to worry about being homeless in 8 weeks might have some trouble with the ICND2/CCNA part.

But the CCENT? In general all of layers 1-2-3 are very simple and intuitive, especially at the level they expect you to know them for the CCENT. All you really need to know is Source/Destination MAC/IP at all of the really obvious, easy, no-gotchas points through standard traffic. You need to know what a subnet is and how they work, and for that you need to know how binary works. You need to know what a VLAN is and if you already know everything else I've mentioned so far, the concept of VLSM should make sense pretty much instantly. From here, you also basically only need to know the absolute basics of Cisco IOS which is (in my opinion) rather intuitive and self explanatory. You don't even have to really know what you're doing - you can just type in "show" and hit ?/TAB a bunch of times and probably figure out the answer.

I actually thought that the ICND1 was harder then ICND2 just because of how broad it was and it seemed like it required more memorization. At least with ICND2 it seemed to just focus in depth on a few subjects.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Remy Marathe posted:

Yeah I know the lack of work experience is working against me, especially when you almost never see true "entry level" positions open up at this school. I would gladly take any helpdesk role anywhere in it for that reason, and why I say (to you guys, NOT to any potential employer) that I would take literally any IT job I can get.

Post your resume some place and I'd take a look at it for you. I went through the hiring process about 6 months ago myself doing a cross country move so I might be able to give you a few pointers.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Certification of Completion
Is hereby granted to
Qpzil
In recognition of successful participation in
VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.1]

Yay :unsmith: now for the hard part...

Are you doing the Stanley online course by chance? I just finished the last lab and have asked the instructor to make sure everything looks complete on my end. No surprise I havent heard a word out of him. Class ends next week so I'd like to get some sort of confirmation out of him.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Nope, my job is using VMware's online course for training.

Lucky. For anyone signed up for the next Stanley course a quick word of warning. Any lab past #5 or 6 schedule yourself at least an hour and a half. The lab environment runs so slow and poorly that you will end up fighting it a bit on every lab and you dont want it to shut down towards the end of your work and lose everything.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Spambort posted:

so just failed my ccna 200-120 test with a 547, the more detailed icnd2 questions ruined me and not being able to review my answers was a problem.
Paying outta pocket really added the cherry on top for depression. Since I'm unemployed i'm going to try getting a tech job (possibly NOC-related) and go for each test individually instead.

Don't skimp the lab work is all I can really add, get the commands beaten down.

Dont worry about. Next time you take the test you will be more comfortable with it and have some idea of what you are in for. The biggest thing with those sim questions is to take your time and really pay attention to the details of the sim. Do you not have access to a lab or simulator to practice? Looked into Boson or GSN3 at all?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MrBigglesworth posted:

What is the exact logic of locking out some functionality that every router/switch on the test, that in the real would would have available to you?

I have my 100-101 ICND1 scheduled tomorrow.

I think part of it is that it's probably easier for them to create the sim questions by limiting the command list. If you're taking the ICND1 really just have a good knowledge of the show commands for the most part to get the info that the test is asking for.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MrBigglesworth posted:

So off the top of my head

show ip interface brief
show vlan brief
show interface faXX switchport
show port-security
show ip route
show ip ospf neighbor
show ip ospf database
show ip ospf interface
show history
show version
show ip access-lists
show cdp
show cdp neighbors
show cdp neighbors detail
show running-configuration
show startup-configuration
show ip nat statistics
show ip nat translations

This is just what I was able to poo poo out in a few seconds....enough or do I need more than that?

Haha you are in full test mode! Good for you, I think you'll do fine. Knowing all of those are great, I can't think of any that you dont listed that would be on the test.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

I ended up accepting this class (opposed to the company offered bootcamp, to avoid being committed for a year). Looks like we will be in the same course.

I grabbed the required textbook, at first it seemed cheap until they charged a $20 shipping cost to it.

Return it if you can. You wont need it at all. But the Scott Lowe book http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-VMware-vSphere-Scott-Lowe/dp/1118661141 instead.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bone posted:

I have a week until my A+ 801 exam, and I'm currently taking these practice quizzes to see where I stand and what I need to review.

http://www.examcompass.com/comptia/a-plus-certification/free-a-plus-practice-tests

My question is, have any of you used this resource before? I also got the CompTIAŽ A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Exam Cram, Sixth Edition, which I think will be a better resource. I just want to know if the site has a good sample of what I have to expect.

Looks fine. Just take your time and relax during the test and you should pass no problem.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bone posted:

I asked this earlier in the thread but I didn't get a response, so I figured I'd try again:

Once you pass the A+ 801, how
long can you wait to take the 802
before it expires? I just passed the 801
and am going to take the 802 in like a
month, so I just want to make sure I have
time.

I think you have almost 3 years to take the second part.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Cenodoxus posted:

Last night I decided I was going to finally take the Stanly CC VMware course, so I went to add myself to the waitlist aaaaaaaaaand...

gently caress.

Welp, there goes that idea.

My parents live in an eligible state. Is anything stopping me from using their address? Will I even get anything in the mail for this course?

Not at all, I know several people who just used a relatives address when signing up for the course. The only negative is that you wont get the little paper certificate of completion sent to your house.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Finally passed my ITIL foundation cert today! I half assed studying for a month or so off and on, and just really started focusing on it this past week. I think it was actually harder for me to pass than my CCNA. Just not hands on at all, a ton of business lingo and terminology. For those of you who are interested I used the Sybex book by Liz Gallagher and then this helped me quite a bit as well:
http://www.inf.unideb.hu/~fazekasg/oktatas/ITIL_V3_Study_Guide.pdf
It's a good quick condensed study guide.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is one of the questions why am I doing this?

The reason they give you an hour for the test is so that you can quietly weep to yourself for lost time before composing yourself and going forward.

After dealing with regulators and quality control people in meetings for hours on end I know this is as far as I would ever want to go with ITIL or anything related to it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Race Realists posted:

i am looking at both professor messer youtube videos and james conrads A+ cbt nuggets, and i STILL cant retain enough knowledge to say with any confidence ill pass the 801 and 802

i am literally dumber than poo poo :v:

does anyone even retain all of this once they pass both exams?

if so, can i borrow your brain?

Both of those test have you memorize a ton of random poo poo like how many pins are on a stick of whatever type of RAM. Just relax and take your time when you are taking the test. Might not hurt to just schedule it and see how you do. Split it up take the first one and get it out of the way and then you can focus on the next test.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

When I took it a few years ago you had to know all of the basic show commands and the basic routing ones they cover in the book.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

icehewk posted:

ICND1 exam tomorrow morning. Any suggestions? Trying to maintain the regular habits, eat well, sleep early, etc. Not looking at anything exam related today and just relaxing.

Take your time would be my advice. I know that when I took it I answered some questions wrong, realized my mistake and then wasnt able to go back and fix the answers.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

So far I'm blowing through the Net+ exam guide but the section on using binary to calculate subnets made me want to stab myself.

I dont know how anyone stands to do it by hand like that writing out the whole IP address and subnet in binary. Magic number has always been my go to method. Felt so much better once I learned that system and really sped up the whole learning process for me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Zhiwau posted:

To the Goons that got certified in Network+ and used the sybex book to study: did you find the test any harder than the practice questions?

From what I remember I thought the book questions were a bit harder. Once I sat down for the actual test I thought it was a breeze. Just remember all of the vocab they throw at you and how to subnet quickly.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I always used the Boson Netsim software and like it a lot better than Packet Tracer or GSN3. Look around online there's usually always some promo code's available to get it a bit cheaper.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Know subnetting forwards and backwards and all of your show commands as other have mentioned. And take your time! You cant go backwards in the exam, so really take your time to examine all of the details.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sheep posted:

Anyone here still doing courses at Stanly? If so, this might be of interest to you:

I had gotten this as well back last year when I signed up and completed the course. You have absolutely nothing mailed to you except a congratulatory letter/certificate at the end. I'm pretty sure they report the class completion to VMware so that you can take the VCA test via your vmware candidate number or ID or something. I just used a relatives out of state address to register and was completely fine.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The Lammle CCNA book and just cover the ICND1 topics. That book, and CBTNuggets videos along with Boson NetSim helped me get my CCNA.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I've decided on pursuing CompTIA Storage+ for my next cert - I spoke with my friend over lunch about it today and he thinks it would go well, along with Linux+, as a companion to my VCP5-DCV, rather than pursuing a vendor-specific cert like EMC. The only problem is the lack of study materials. I found two books total for Storage+, and that seems kinda scarce for something that is supposed to be vendor neutral. Guess it's not one of the more popular certs out there, although it does have the advantage of partially fulfilling the CE requirements for my Security+ cert.

I've never seen that listed anywhere as a preferred cert or requirement. Seems like one of CompTIA's more useless certs like their healthcare IT certs. I'd go with EMC certs first. I had one of their study guide books for their beginning certification. It's kind of like the CCENT in a lot of ways, in that there will be some vendor specific information but that it provides you with more a general base of knowledge that applies to all of storage.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SaltLick posted:

https://www.udemy.com/ccnpallinone/?dtcode=AMoXTBY2Zyi9

Someone was saying somethign about Chris Bryant being a good source for CCNA/CCNP stuff. Right now you can get the course for :10bux: too

I used his class and CBTNuggets when studying for my CCNA. I prefer the CBT videos if you can get them cheap. Otherwise Chris Bryant's aren't bad, just not as polished as the CBT videos. He also breaks down his classes into much smaller 7-15 minute videos instead of 40-60 minute videos like CBT does. So if you prefer more quick and less focused videos he's a good choice.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

As I recall the CCENT is basically most of the N+ and a lots of show commands, configuring static routes, basic switch setups and more subnetting.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Well if it makes you feel better I scheduled my test for tomorrow. I looked over my notes and over my practice tests and realized there's nothing left for me to learn. I'll either pass the test, or something about the exam will catch me off-guard and I'll fail miserably, then wait it out and pass on the retake.

Just remember to take your time during the test. You can't go back to older questions once you've clicked next during the exam. So take your time, pay attention to IPs, subnet masks, etc and you'll do fine.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've used both CBTNuggets and Chris Bryant. I prefer the super hyper CBTNuggets host that gets loving PUMPED by Wireshark to Chris Bryant. Either one is fine and will cover the necessary material. Chris takes the approach of much smaller videos of 10-15 minutes while the CBT videos are usually 45-60 minutes.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Alder posted:

Sounds good, I wanted to take 1 exam a month but not completely certain if it'd be allowed. Thanks.

I would honestly take them both at the same time. As I recall one test is more hardware focused and the other is software/soft skills. Just take them back to back and be done with it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I just got an email from CompTIA. Apparently it's not enough to have passed the CCNA since I've gotten my Network+. They also require a $147 3 year renewal fee! What a crock of poo poo. I dont even think it's worth getting reimbursed by my employer for. Any negative consequences if I let it lapse? I mean I could still list it on my resume if need be right?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Why would CompTIA care about your CCNA? And if you have your CCNA I would say you can safely let the N+ lapse.

They just list it as a cert that counts as "continuing education" credits for your A+ and N+. I mean I still list both on my resume mostly to just get past the HR gatekeepers that don't know any better. Maybe I'll see if I can get it reimbursed. The fee just seems like a straight up money grab.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Professor Messer and the Lammle or whatever else book will be fine for the N+. I don't know if they still have a huge boner for the OSI model or not but I'd remember that and how to subnet and you will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

beepsandboops posted:

Got my CCENT today :toot: Used bits of Odom, Lammle, and CBT Nuggets.

Not sure if I wanna try for CCNA this year or next, but feeling good about getting Security+ and CCENT in one year.

Congratulations! I waited forever between my CCENT and CCNA, take my advice dont be like me. Just keep studying for it and try to take it sooner rather than later. Getting your mind back into the mode of being able to subnet on the fly took me some time. I really regretted waiting, just for how much harder it made it later and how much more quickly I could've advanced my career.