Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've started studying for the Network+ test using the Lammle book from Sybex, and I've noticed in the end-of-chapter quizzes that there are often questions about things that haven't been covered yet (e.g. the OSI chapter, 2, has a question about bridges, hubs, and routers, but bridges and hubs were only mentioned in passing). Is this BS going to be a common occurrence for the rest of the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In the Lammle Network+ chapter on networking devices, he shows network diagrams that have some switches connected to another switch, with the hosts connected to the secondary switches. He doesn't explain this (at least not in this chapter), so what is the reasoning here? Why wouldn't you just connect the four hosts to one switch, instead?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How much of a rhyme or reason is there to the "X" part of the NBaseX naming scheme? I've noticed T for twisted pair, F for fiber, and S/L/E for shortwave/longwave/extended wave lasers, but haven't caught on to any patterns besides those.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've started the portion of the Lammle book on subnetting (Class B, specifically), and am somewhat confused on his implementation of the method for finding how many subnets you have. Up to /24, he was subtracting the 3rd octet from 256, which made sense because the 4th was still 0. But when he got to /25, he subtracted the 3rd, and moved to the 4th octet at /26. Why is the divide /25 to /26, rather than /24 to /25?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jelmylicious posted:

Sounds like a misprint. Basically, you subtract the octet that is not 255 or 0, and work with that. Have you downloaded the errata?

Where is the errata? The only download I saw on the website is the zip with the study program.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Even knowing that one of the examples in Lammle's Network+ has a typo, I'm still having a hard time figuring out Class B subnetting. I got Class C just fine using Lammle's five questions, but once I get into that third octet, I get confused.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Contingency posted:

There are several ways of understanding subnetting; you may have to look around for a technique that makes sense.
Multiplication works for me:
Class A /8: 256 256x256x256
Class B /16: 256x256 256x256
/18: 256x256x4 64x256

I ...what? :psyduck:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I understand binary and which bits are host bits and which network, but figuring out what the subnets are in half of the class B cases is where I get stuck.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

doomisland posted:

Can't believe people use classfull addressing still. Just to let know if you mention classes around a bunch of network engineers they'll probably laugh at you. What I'm saying is make sure you understand CIDR :)

Wait, I thought I was using CIDR, since I know about the slash notation and how it applies to the masks (the number of the slash is the number of on bits). That still doesn't help me when I have to subnet in the third octet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That's all well and good, but it doesn't help me understand how to subnet an address that has host bits in the third octet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I think I get my confusion - Lammle uses CIDR values, but subnets in a classful way. Is that correct? And if so, which way should I be most comfortable with for the Network+ test?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's the format for the current Network+ exam? I tried some searching, but only found practice test stuff.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Just passed my Network+ today. 80 questions, the first four or five were scenarios, which I did worse on than the rest of the exam. I blame my lack of experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SilentGeek posted:

How did you study for the exam, if you don't mind me asking. I'm studying for that one next, but I'm not sure what I should use. So far I've only bought the non-deluxe Sybex book.

I got the regular Sybex/Lammle study guide, the lab book (which I didn't use at all), then watched all the lectures on the federal video training environment site (fed-vte), since I could get access to that through work. I took notes on all the chapters, taking the end-of-chapter quizzes. After watching the videos, I went back and took each quiz again, then re-read my notes and re-took the quiz.