Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
nthing the "Month of Lunches" series for Powershell. Also this youtube vid of a 4 hour powershell session with the author(?), Don Jones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ya1dQ1Igkc

Its starts you from scratch, but it was exactly what I needed to get my head around some of the foundation principles. He's a pretty good presenter too. Unlike James Conrad who makes me want to commit genocide.

Regarding MSCA\E for Server 2012, is there any good study materials out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

What's the process for renewing a Cisco cert once it's expired?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Pearsonvue site is down right when I want to take that VCADCV test.

Oh, and now my exam has expired. Can I renew it?

Swink fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 17, 2013

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
So I won't have to dig up a new promo code?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

You may need a new promo code, but there's plenty of them to spare.

None of them are valid anymore, and the ones that are arent valid for Australia. Dumb.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Great find. Thanks!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'm in the same situation and I'm going for 2008 first because of the reason stayed above, also I'm way way more familiar with 2008 than 2012 and I feel that will be helpful.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Is there a good setup guide for GNS3 around? Should I just use the one on the gns3 site?

Also how long should I give myself to pass ICND1, given that I have very little hands on network experience? 3 months? Less?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Haha.

Oh well, less work for you, right?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I've also just booked 70-410. I'm using the ms press book, nuggets and a bigass dump of relevant technet pages which I'll share when I get off this train. Edit - this list: http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/88247-70-410-resources.html

Kaplan was suggested ages ago for practice tests. Can anyone confirm that's true?

Whether I pass or fail, I will murder James Conrad.

Swink fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 22, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'm not far from taking the 70-410. Any tips apart from "know powershell"?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
On that note, are there VMware Certs (entry level) that don't require class time?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
^ there's a free second shot promotion on at the moment. I assume your workplace can take advantage of that.

If it were me, I'd want it done before moving onto something else. I know I would never come back to it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Bummer. The 685 exam is the one I put aside for a while and never came back to. That was 4 years ago :\

I have 70-680. Should I take 70-685? It'll get me the mctip:desktop cert right?

See this, this is me distracting myself from the msca track that I've already started.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

MCSA 2012 is pretty hard
You got that right.

dsadd.exe
new-adcomputer
djoin.exe
add-computer

Ugh.

Assuming i ever pass MSCA - I'm lacking in network creds. Is Network+ too entry level? Should I go for the CCENT instead? I dont want to be a 'network guy' but obviously I want to let people know I know how networks run.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Do what I did: book the exam for two weeks after having a baby. Nothing helps you internalise FSMO roles like no sleep and being covered in puke.

You really gotta work with the poo poo. I asked for advice earlier in the thread and was told to "lab it out". That is good advice.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Just failed 70-410.

Advice: Know your Hyper-V. Holy shitballs they were throwing poo poo at me I hadn't even heard of. What the gently caress is Virtual machine Chimney?

Know your network services too. Not just DNS\DHCP but VPNs, firewalls, what ports things run on. All that.

Free second shot. :hurrah:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I had a lab, the books and a practice test and I never once saw a reference to Chimney. I'm not that butthurt about it but seriously, its called "Chimney".

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
The VM Chimney option was one of ~7 possible answers. Now that I've looked it up I believe the correct answer was Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) and the Chimney option was just there to throw me off.

"SR-IOV enables network traffic to bypass the software switch layer of the Hyper-V virtualization stack."

I don't think it's as bad as "I was given questions I shouldn't have". I reserve the right to still be upset though.

Someone asked about Pluralsight - I got a free 30 days and really enjoyed it. The 70-410 stuff is split into little 10 minute chunks instead of 40+ mins of James loving Conrad waffling on about hiking or his local coffee shop. I found them concise and to the point for the most part.

I also watched a few sessions on Javascript, AngularJS and Network+ content and found that pretty good too. My boss tried to watch one on SQL and hated it. That might be more to do with the subject matter.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I forgot I had my second 70-410 today. I hadnt even opened the book since I failed it the first time ~2 months ago. I couldnt reschedule cos i missed the 24 hour cutoff.

I'm pretty bummed. I've been doing this stuff for ages and the only cert I have is ancient.

I don't know how I'm going to muster the discipline and motivation to rebook and re-study.

Edit - in case it wasnt clear from my malaise, I failed again.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Failing 410 is making me rethink my admin career. I think I want to get into finance or business or something.

Palo Alto certs. Anyone know anything about them? We just put in a firewall and I'm thinking of sending my network guy to get the 'certified configurator' cert. It's free and the devices are all over town. I feel it would be a good move for him.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Crosspostin 6 months free pluralsight: http://www.troyhunt.com/2015/12/get-more-awesome-pluralsight-content.html?m=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
How much experience with AWS do you need for the AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate cert? Could I do it by labbing the objectives or do I need deeper production experience?

Edit - that is the most entry level cert they have, right?

Swink fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 3, 2016