Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

InterceptorV8 posted:

I don't know if it's all that great, but one thing I did notice was that they reduced a shitload of weight. Which makes the bean counter's dicks hard, because pulling 65+ pounds of metal out of a block saves money per engine. I always worry when they start pulling metal out of blocks and heads, as that seems to lead to more cracked blocks and heads. Seems to be some neat voodoo they are pulling with fuel timing.

Right, but besides reduced weight what else does a lower compression ratio have going for it? Mazda talks about the cleaner emissions it has with this engine but I though high compression ratios meant higher temperatures which meant a cleaner burn. Or is that not correct?

I'm just thinking that a lower compression ratio reduces many of the merits of a diesel engine but I don't have the expertise to say that for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Ayem posted:

Care to explain what you mean by properly clutching with a diesel?

Seconded. I haven't learned to drive a manual transmission yet, and was assuming it would be the same for gasoline and diesel. Now I'm wondering whether I should learn on a gasoline car before switching to diesel or not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ayem posted:

Care to explain what you mean by properly clutching with a diesel?

The biggest issue I've seen is people riding the clutch hard from stop, i.e. they rev the engine and let the clutch drag excessively, sometimes with every shift. The extra torque from the diesel will chew up the clutch faster, naturally the clutch has been built specifically for the diesel engine, but it can only do so much.

Many people I've met who just bought their first TDI tend to stall them more often from standstill because they either give too much clutch expect it to just grab like a gasser, or don't give enough gas.

Caithness posted:

Seconded. I haven't learned to drive a manual transmission yet, and was assuming it would be the same for gasoline and diesel. Now I'm wondering whether I should learn on a gasoline car before switching to diesel or not.

If you learn on the diesel, switching to a manual gasser will seem much easier. I'd say just go for it and learn as you go, its how I learned manual

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CommieGIR posted:

Many people I've met who just bought their first TDI tend to stall them more often from standstill because they either give too much clutch expect it to just grab like a gasser, or don't give enough gas.

If you learn on the diesel, switching to a manual gasser will seem much easier. I'd say just go for it and learn as you go, its how I learned manual

I disagree with this a bit. Going from a diesel to a gas manual will leave you stalling it from stop because you are not used to revving the engine but instead letting the low end torque get the vehicle rolling quickly and easily without having to rev much. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing because what I've been told that the key to long clutch life is to keep starting rpms as low as possible while keeping the clutch engagement quick and fluid, or "Time partially engaged x RPM difference = Clutch wear". Once you get the hang of how the engine responds it is entirely possible to smoothly start a TDI from a stop without pushing the tachometer past 1200-1500 and without lugging the engine thanks to the torque-y engine and low gearing of first gear.

Most people I've seen who try to drive the TDI at first stall it a bit until they figure out the throttle response of the TDI and that it means once RPMs dip to a certain point there is no saving it. If you hit 600 RPM the engine is going to stall even if you give it some more fuel and disengage the clutch all the way.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

The biggest issue I've seen is people riding the clutch hard from stop, i.e. they rev the engine and let the clutch drag excessively, sometimes with every shift. The extra torque from the diesel will chew up the clutch faster, naturally the clutch has been built specifically for the diesel engine, but it can only do so much.

Shifty Pony posted:

I disagree with this a bit. Going from a diesel to a gas manual will leave you stalling it from stop because you are not used to revving the engine but instead letting the low end torque get the vehicle rolling quickly and easily without having to rev much. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing because what I've been told that the key to long clutch life is to keep starting rpms as low as possible while keeping the clutch engagement quick and fluid, or "Time partially engaged x RPM difference = Clutch wear". Once you get the hang of how the engine responds it is entirely possible to smoothly start a TDI from a stop without pushing the tachometer past 1200-1500 and without lugging the engine thanks to the torque-y engine and low gearing of first gear.

OK, thanks this pretty much sums up my experiences so far. I have definitely noticed (and have adapted my clutching style to suit) that revving the engine before clutching out is unnecessary due to the torqueyness. Good to know.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Most people I've seen who try to drive the TDI at first stall it a bit until they figure out the throttle response of the TDI and that it means once RPMs dip to a certain point there is no saving it. If you hit 600 RPM the engine is going to stall even if you give it some more fuel and disengage the clutch all the way.

Fair enough, I can agree there.

My point was, a lot of people never learn to just start the vehicle off easy and smooth, they just somewhat rev it up to 1800 and drag the clutch a bit to get it moving, which is unnecessary.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I believe that is more of a function of "being an idiot who doesn't know how to drive a car with a manual transmission" then. I'm at 163k miles on my 2006 diesel Volvo, and it's still on the original clutch. It's my first diesel, and I haven't driven it any different than my previous petrol cars.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

1600 LBS, Didnt feel like I was carrying anything!

Edit: 2000 lbs

crutt fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 7, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Looking at a Merc diesel for my brother and as a general use cruiser, '83 300D with the OM617.952 engine. Anything in particular to look out for on these? How do the automatic transmissions tend to hold up? Assuming we do all work ourselves how are these for running expense?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

crutt posted:

1600 LBS, Didnt feel like I was carrying anything!

Edit: 2000 lbs

That's because you weren't. Two thousand pounds is less than a third of what the truck weighs.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/skyactiv/engine/skyactiv-d.html

I don't know if it's all that great, but one thing I did notice was that they reduced a shitload of weight. Which makes the bean counter's dicks hard, because pulling 65+ pounds of metal out of a block saves money per engine. I always worry when they start pulling metal out of blocks and heads, as that seems to lead to more cracked blocks and heads. Seems to be some neat voodoo they are pulling with fuel timing.

I like that 310 lb-ft out of a 2.2L.

The Diesel Skyactiv motors in the CX5 even have the added feature of "Bonus oil!"

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/backlash-over-mazda-cx5-diesel-oil-issues-20120821-24k6w.html

Apparently it looks like the regen cycle is a tad too energetic and dilutes the engine oil with unburnt fuel, requiring owners to check every 1000kms and if the oil goes above full, get it changed!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

The Diesel Skyactiv motors in the CX5 even have the added feature of "Bonus oil!"

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/backlash-over-mazda-cx5-diesel-oil-issues-20120821-24k6w.html

Apparently it looks like the regen cycle is a tad too energetic and dilutes the engine oil with unburnt fuel, requiring owners to check every 1000kms and if the oil goes above full, get it changed!

Why would they do that?!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ferremit posted:

The same issue can happen on the new TDI. This is why you aren't supposed to use anything more then 5% bio.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

NitroSpazzz posted:

Looking at a Merc diesel for my brother and as a general use cruiser, '83 300D with the OM617.952 engine. Anything in particular to look out for on these? How do the automatic transmissions tend to hold up? Assuming we do all work ourselves how are these for running expense?

That is now a 30 year old car. Expect every thing to go wrong. I am not trying to be mean or abusive, but lots of poo poo is bound to break. The engine itself is pretty bullet proof..... I would start wondering about rust.

God drat, I just felt really old saying that the car is 30 years old and shits bound to break. I am older than the car.... crazy.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
I would be worrying a little less about rust and more praying that there are no vacuum leaks.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Has anyone heard of the TDI-swapped Honda Insight? I'll come back with a link, I promise.

Here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgELfyYsxyM

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm xposting in this thread from the stupid questions thread. I'm a noob so bear with me.

98 beetle.

Ran it low on fuel and now will crank but not turn over. Put more fuel in still no start. Neighbor suggested repriming the fuel line. Found a howto at tdiclub and a YouTube video and trying it out.

Got a mityvac and tried to pull fuel from the outlet of the fuel filter and got a dribble. Tried the return line off the injector and again just a dribble. Finally tried the inlet line to the fuel filter and got nothing. It pulls a vacuum on the mityvac up to 20 psi before I stopped. Tried with the ignition on and tried with the gas cap popped open.

Any tips?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

sharkytm posted:

That's because you weren't. Two thousand pounds is less than a third of what the truck weighs.

Why are those trucks so loving Porky? My C3500 is 4500lbs non-diesel.

Ferremit posted:

loving christ, some of our Volvos with the D13 engines kept doing that. Volvo couldn't figure out what was wrong and one of the engines blew sky high. poo poo was coming out the stack. Most likely hosed up the EPA ratings for 20 years.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

InterceptorV8 posted:

Why are those trucks so loving Porky? My C3500 is 4500lbs non-diesel.

loving christ, some of our Volvos with the D13 engines kept doing that. Volvo couldn't figure out what was wrong and one of the engines blew sky high. poo poo was coming out the stack. Most likely hosed up the EPA ratings for 20 years.

My non-diesel 2500HD (2004) extended cab, long bed is 6200# ish across the scales.

Add another ~400 lbs for the Duramax, Allison, 11.5" rear end, and whatnot. 6600# or so for the diesel version of what I have.

My payload capacity is 3800 lbs, give or take, 9800 GVWR.

When I load 3800# in the truck, you can definitely feel it. Ditto with towing 10K. 2000 lbs? That's hardly worth mentioning.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

I'm xposting in this thread from the stupid questions thread. I'm a noob so bear with me.

98 beetle.

Ran it low on fuel and now will crank but not turn over. Put more fuel in still no start. Neighbor suggested repriming the fuel line. Found a howto at tdiclub and a YouTube video and trying it out.

Got a mityvac and tried to pull fuel from the outlet of the fuel filter and got a dribble. Tried the return line off the injector and again just a dribble. Finally tried the inlet line to the fuel filter and got nothing. It pulls a vacuum on the mityvac up to 20 psi before I stopped. Tried with the ignition on and tried with the gas cap popped open.

Any tips?

Hm, either something got sucked into the line or against the line in, your mityvac should easily pull from the intake line into the filter, if you are not getting fuel flow there then something is wrong. Trying doing the reverse: Put light pressure through the fuel intake line for a minute and then try sucking fuel.

EDIT: You didn't happen to have just installed a new filter did you?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 9, 2013

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Between this thread and the wagon thread I have started to look for a Jetta TDI wagon. I might have to settle for a sedan though since wagons seem to be priced a bit higher. I did have a question about 99.5's. Are they as good as the 2000-03's? and how would I identify them? I couldn't find any information on that.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Once you get the hang of how the engine responds it is entirely possible to smoothly start a TDI from a stop without pushing the tachometer past 1200-1500 and without lugging the engine thanks to the torque-y engine and low gearing of first gear.

You mean you don't do this driving a gas car? Light throttle, clutch entirely out by 1200-1400 rpm, then smoothly add on throttle is how I drive my gas econobox.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NinjaTech posted:

Between this thread and the wagon thread I have started to look for a Jetta TDI wagon. I might have to settle for a sedan though since wagons seem to be priced a bit higher. I did have a question about 99.5's. Are they as good as the 2000-03's? and how would I identify them? I couldn't find any information on that.

The 99.5s are the ALH, a good engine with the addition of a VNT (variable vane turbo) it improved the low range performance quite a bit. Its a good engine. If you get a later model (2003) check to see if it is the ALH (should have injector lines going to the head where the spark plugs would be on a gas car) or a BEW (PD Engine). If it is a BEW PD engine, avoid it. The Pump Deuse motors started to pop up around 2003 and had camshaft issues.

The wagons are drat hard to find, not so much that they were popular (they were) but there were not as many wagons made as there were standard Jettas and Passats. If you find one, go for it. Most people hold on hard to their TDI Wagons.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

CommieGIR posted:

The 99.5s are the ALH, a good engine with the addition of a VNT (variable vane turbo) it improved the low range performance quite a bit. Its a good engine. If you get a later model (2003) check to see if it is the ALH (should have injector lines going to the head where the spark plugs would be on a gas car) or a BEW (PD Engine). If it is a BEW PD engine, avoid it. The Pump Deuse motors started to pop up around 2003 and had camshaft issues.

The wagons are drat hard to find, not so much that they were popular (they were) but there were not as many wagons made as there were standard Jettas and Passats. If you find one, go for it. Most people hold on hard to their TDI Wagons.

Awesome thanks. One problem I'm having with finding a wagon, or even a sedan for that matter, is find a manual one that doesn't have a poo poo ton of miles on it. I'm not concerned about the engine blowing up from high miles, it's just chassis related stuff that will need to be replaced sooner. It also affects my loan term and apr for anything over 125k.

My friend has a 2010 TDI sportwagon and the dealer is always calling him to try to buy it. It seems like they've been getting more popular.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Giblet Plus! posted:

You mean you don't do this driving a gas car? Light throttle, clutch entirely out by 1200-1400 rpm, then smoothly add on throttle is how I drive my gas econobox.

I originally was going to note that you can easily get a TDI going without touching the fuel pedal at all without lugging, with just a slightly extended clutch release. The only other vehicle I've run into that would let you do it to anywhere near the same degree is a Jeep TJ with the legendary 4.0. I decided against saying it because really that isn't the best for the clutch. So instead like you point out I basically said "if you to things the way you are supposed to, it works! :downs:"

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
You can easily get a TDI idling along in 5th without touching the fuel pedal, you just need to let the clutch out easy with each shift.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

I originally was going to note that you can easily get a TDI going without touching the fuel pedal at all without lugging, with just a slightly extended clutch release.
I do this every once in a while with my uncle's Je:crossarms: waitaminute

Shifty Pony posted:

The only other vehicle I've run into that would let you do it to anywhere near the same degree is a Jeep TJ with the legendary 4.0.
Oh. So it's not normal to be able to do that? I shoulda picked a different car to learn a manual on then I guess. :v: How would that work with, say, a poverty-spec Ford Fiesta, or something more powerful like a Mustang GT? Would the engine just die without being able to transfer enough power to the wheels?

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 12, 2013

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef

Opensourcepirate posted:

You can easily get a TDI idling along in 5th without touching the fuel pedal, you just need to let the clutch out easy with each shift.

I can take my STi from 1st through 6th by babying the clutch without touching the gas. Gets up to about 20 mph just idling along.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I was going to chime in on the 4.0's torque at idle, but I assumed it was a given since that trait is why it is so praised by rock crawlers. Eliminates the need to three-foot while you are inching over an obstacle. I've driven only one vehicle that couldn't coast along up to 20 without touching the gas and it was my RX7. Are most gas engines so anemic? I must be spoiled :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Friar Zucchini posted:

I do this every once in a while with my uncle's Je:crossarms: waitaminute
Oh. So it's not normal to be able to do that? I shoulda picked a different car to learn a manual on then I guess. :v: How would that work with, say, a poverty-spec Ford Fiesta, or something more powerful like a Mustang GT? Would the engine just die without being able to transfer enough power to the wheels?
Pretty much any car, on the flat, can be taken from a standstill all the way through to top gear without touching the throttle. It's good practice for clutch control.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
well I just test drove this wagon: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/3522188378.html

The dealer would only go down to $9,500 on it. It had too many things missing or damaged on it to warrant that price. I bid him at $7,000 but they wouldn't even try to negotiate. I ended up just walking out with the salesman not looking very happy.

It was pretty comfortable though and moved better than expected. I did stall it once though. I couldn't just let the clutch out at idle on an incline I guess.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

NinjaTech posted:

Between this thread and the wagon thread I have started to look for a Jetta TDI wagon. I might have to settle for a sedan though since wagons seem to be priced a bit higher.

It doesn't help that we have a dealer in Bellevue that specializes in TDIs. They buy up all the private sale cars that are half decent and jack the prices up. You're better off looking further away.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/3540770834.html
300k miles, automatic, totally worth $10k because it's the jack lalane of cars. :rolleyes:

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 13, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

oxbrain posted:

It doesn't help that we have a dealer in Bellevue that specializes in TDIs. They buy up all the private sale cars that are half decent and jack the prices up. You're better off looking further away.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/3540770834.html
300k miles, automatic, totally worth $10k because it's the jack lalane of cars. :rolleyes:

Hey, it's only $4000+ over KBB, and 300,000 miles on unibody and wiring. What could go wrong?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I drove a 2004 sedan from that dealer earlier. It was priced at 9k with 148k on it. It drove much better than the previous wagon but they don't negotiate pricing. I also decided that I don't really want a sedan. I would rather have a Golf or a wagon.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Going with a sedan over the wagon is my only regret on my car. Every now and then I think about rectifying that but then I really do like the 2010 and the trunk really is giant enough to do everything that I need it to do, only I have to take both wheels off my bike to put it into the trunk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Going with a sedan over the wagon is my only regret on my car. Every now and then I think about rectifying that but then I really do like the 2010 and the trunk really is giant enough to do everything that I need it to do, only I have to take both wheels off my bike to put it into the trunk.

I didn't have so much choice in which body style I got, since I bought my TDI as a dead car and I resurrected it, but I do wish I had a wagon as well. The Golf body is nice, but I need more trunk space than it offers and I'd like more trunk space than my Jetta offers.

I mean, for $600, my TDI has gone the distance.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 14, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

Having gone from a sedan to the Golf, I will never go back to a sedan. The hatch just makes the car so much more useful. Even with the car being a full 18" shorter than my GLI I can cram twice as much poo poo in it because of the hatch. The golf really doesn't lose that much capacity compared to the wagon unless you -need- the back seats. With the seats folded down you can jam tons of stuff in the car.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So what I'm hearing is I need to sell my 2010 Jetta TDI and upgrade to a 2013 Sportwagon TDI... ;)

More realistic: pick up a dirt cheap beater truck, which are plentiful in Texas.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 14, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

So what I'm hearing is I need to sell my 2010 Jetta TDI and upgrade to a 2013 Sportwagon TDI... ;)

More realistic: pick up a dirt cheap beater truck, which are plentiful in Texas.

Well at least the 2010 was still the "good" jetta. Now if you were driving say a "new" jetta that might be a good idea. But living in Texas, it's probably easier to just ask someone to help you move big poo poo :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm just saying it is really hard to justify a wagon when I can pick up a late 80's or early 90's F-150 with the 300 Inline-6 and manual transmission for about two grand, in a state where there is no such thing as road salt. Sure they drink gas but for occasional hauling trips it isn't a bad deal. Or find a late 90s ranger with a dead or dying cologne v6 and do a Cummins 4bt diesel swap...

Or as you say just butter up a truck-driving friend with promises of beer and BBQ.

• Locked thread