Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
The arguments about what is or isn't 'correct' in GSDs always baffle me because GSDs have had such a diverse array of roles throughout their history. Concepts such as 'preservationist breeding' fall down for me with breeds like GSDs, because they have evolved to fill so many different niches over the last century+. Is the 'real' German Shepherd a herder or a police dog? A Schutzhund champion, a seeing eye dog or a Westminster BIS? It all depends on your perspective, and I'm not sure that there's a 'right' answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Hang on, did I participate in eugenics because I spayed my Cardigan Welsh Corgi according to contract because her head is predominantly white, against breed standard?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
You are literally a nazi

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Mods please change thread name to "Landsharks in Jackboots", tia.

notsowelp posted:

The arguments about what is or isn't 'correct' in GSDs always baffle me because GSDs have had such a diverse array of roles throughout their history. Concepts such as 'preservationist breeding' fall down for me with breeds like GSDs, because they have evolved to fill so many different niches over the last century+. Is the 'real' German Shepherd a herder or a police dog? A Schutzhund champion, a seeing eye dog or a Westminster BIS? It all depends on your perspective, and I'm not sure that there's a 'right' answer.

The way I look at it is that the "correct" GSD (as a general concept, not as an individual dog) should be able to fulfill all these roles and do them well. They're exactly that: a multipurpose working breed and both structure and temperment should reflect that. I think you've hit it on the nose though, you can't necessarily hold up individual dogs as the "most correct" due to their function because they've been bred to fulfil such a diverse set of jobs. For me, the most correct GSD has more to do with temperment, nerve, and structural soundess rather than "precisely what job does this dog do?", though each individual should be able to do well in one of it's working functions. If you look at most of the jobs GSDs are supposed to do (SAR dogs, police dogs, Schutzhund, war dogs, etc) there's a definite commonality in the physical and tempermental traits required of them.

My exclusion here of course would be "Westminister BIS" because goddamn, gently caress like 99% of GSD show breeders.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 19, 2012

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Of the breeds you listed only two are straight up herding dogs, one of which does not accept solid white dogs (Old English Sheepdog). Livestock guardian dogs are not the same thing as herding dogs.

e: f,b

All examples given are used to herd livestock aside from the two guardian dog examples and I made the distinction between livestock guardian dogs and herders in my post - hence the two examples. Some dogs are used in both roles and I don't really care if you use a more narrowly defined definition, because it isn;t at all relevant to the topic. "Solid white" Old English Sheepdogs may not be accepted but they come awfully close, which is why I called it a "probably counts" on this topic and I'm sure if you really want to look you can find other herding breeds that are acceptable with solid white coats - such as the original GSDs.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 19, 2012

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Warbadger posted:

All examples given are used to herd livestock aside from the two guardian dog examples and I made the distinction between livestock guardian dogs and herders in my post - hence the two examples. Some dogs are used in both roles and I don't really care if you use a more narrowly defined definition, because it isn;t at all relevant to the topic. "Solid white" Old English Sheepdogs may not be accepted but they come awfully close, which is why I called it a "probably counts" on this topic and I'm sure if you really want to look you can find other herding breeds that are acceptable with solid white coats.

This is the GSD thread and nothing in this post is about GSDs :colbert: You edited in one comment about GSDs, haha.

Maybe you could post something interesting and useful about GSDs? Do you have a GSD? I would love to see pictures because they are cool dogs and pretty much all you've posted is about eugenics and white dogs and Nazis.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Alice is rather skeptical of this thread.

And Shelby is...well, distracted by a shiny ball.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

There's nothing better than watching someone Godwin in a dog thread. Only reason I didn't ban him is that he might make me laugh a couple more times before it comes to that.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Stregone posted:

Alice is rather skeptical of this thread.

And Shelby is...well, distracted by a shiny ball.

Please tell me that's the only face Alice makes. She looks like the most judgemental dog in the universe :3: Is Shelby a mix? His face almost looks like a Mal rather than a GSD. He's cute as poo poo either way.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I don't know how I didn't see this thread until now but thank you so much for making it Triangulum! That first post is incredibly interesting.

Allow me to contribute by adding a picture of one of the worlds worst GSDs

(kidding I love MoMo)

Queen Elizatits fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 19, 2012

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Please mail me MoMo, I need him. He can come be buddies with Vecna and they can ruin my life together.

Vecna's big dumb nose had a growth spurt and now he looks retarded.

I was looking over the bitches Wildhaus is considering breeding down the line and man, Maika is a nice looking puppy.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 19, 2012

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Triangulum posted:

Please mail me MoMo, I need him. He can come be buddies with Vecna and they can ruin my life together.

Vecna's big dumb nose had a growth spurt and now he looks retarded.

They would be best friends and they would love it :3: I remember when Mo's nose went through that growth spurt too, I think it was around five months or so.

I was just reading through the thread and I know this is from way back on the first page but I have always thought MoMo and Maggie were not a bad example of the difference between a masculine and feminine looking GSD. I could be totally wrong of course but to me Maggie is very delicate looking dog and Mo is blocky.

I just really wanted to post another picture though

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Is Shelby a mix? His face almost looks like a Mal rather than a GSD.

I think it's the white and that the dog is squinting. I see what look like pure white GSDs end up in husky rescue all the time as mixes because they wind up looking so similar in their faces. :3:

Triangulum posted:

I was looking over the bitches Wildhaus is considering breeding down the line and man, Maika is a nice looking puppy.

Sable dogs are so pretty. :3: I'm curious to see how her and her sister grow up, they're at the height of their puppy awkwardness in their pictures.

I was going back and fawning over Heidi some more, and I realized of all the puppies they kept, they haven't held any back from Eris. Granted, they'd only bred her twice, but I just thought it was interesting. It's also a shame that their girl Jazz that they imported wound up with health problems, she seemed like she had a lot of working potential, and she's so pretty. :(

They've been killing me not posting their next breeding plans, btw. :argh: They've had the same message up since the summer, and obviously it won't be a fall breeding, fall is over. :colbert: I'm dying to see who they pick, I love following puppies like that. I'm also curious how a litter this winter/spring will affect them breeding this time next year, that's when we might be in the puppy market... :ohdear: :f5:

Edit: Also, when they don't post anything, I get constantly tempted by this. :argh:

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 20, 2012

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Please tell me that's the only face Alice makes. She looks like the most judgemental dog in the universe :3: Is Shelby a mix? His face almost looks like a Mal rather than a GSD. He's cute as poo poo either way.

Alice makes all sorts of faces.

Alice by Michael Appleman, on Flickr

We're pretty sure Shelby is a GSD/Mal mix. She was a stray puppy so we are not sure. She started off almost completely black, and looked alot like your usual black and tan/red GSD puppy as she got older. Once she matured she turned out to be a very light red sable. She's right around 60 pounds. Alice is about 45, and a huge lap dog.

Some pics from our hike yesterday.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Please ship Alice and Shelby to me asap, tia :3:

ohstone
Jul 5, 2007
My phone ate my liver!
This is my German Sheppard/Lab mix named Lucy. Her hobbies include chewing up every goddamned thing in the house.

There's not a whole lot of sheppard in her except in her facial markings.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Thread needs fewer Nazis and more landsharks. Here's a great, appropriate photo

(not my photo, not my landshark)

As a kid, my family raised a sable long-haired GSD from Bavarian working stock, bred in America. Her coat was fairly close to the above dog, which meant 99% of people had zero idea what she was. We got a ton of people coming up and asking if she was a wolf, or telling their kids it was a hyena, all kinds of absolutely crazy stuff.

She also had a much squarer butt (technical term obv), like this guy from the OP

Triangulum posted:

Odin vom Stolzenfels, 1933 Sieger Winner
She lived to 13 without any hip dysplasia issues. At the end, she did get general arthritis, but it was controlled pretty well.

RIP world's best, smartest, prettiest hyena :(

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 21, 2012

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
It seems like tons of good German dogs come from Bavaria, especially east Bavaria. We looked at a lot of breeders down there when we were looking to get a dog but having to drive 6+ hours to check out the parents and breeding facilities would have been almost impossible for us to do.

It never ceases to amaze me how confused people are by GSDs who aren't B&T stock coats. I get asked if Vecna is a lab mix or a Belgian Shepherd at least once a week :sigh:

Stregone posted:

Alice makes all sorts of faces.

Alice by Michael Appleman, on Flickr

Hahaha holy poo poo, Alice is the best.

Does anyone do Schutzhund with their dogs? I'd like to get into it but there don't seem to be any groups in my city and of course I worry a bit about the training methods used.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 21, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
My mom grew up with GSDs and has bazillions of stories about her GSDs and I have always wanted one because of those stories but I don't think I will ever have one because I can't handle tons of dog hair on everything. Alas, :(

I like this thread bc I get to look at pretty doggies :3:

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

Superconsndar posted:

I like this thread bc I get to look at pretty doggies :3:

Just 4 you~

:allears:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I didn't know people were crossing GSDs with turtles these days~

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
wanna see that suspension trot

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I cannot fathom people who look at that and think, "Yes, that is a structurally sound, good-looking dog." I just can't.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Kinda late, but Yay GSD thread. I have a one of these monster and it is weirdest dog experience I've ever had. I wish someone would have told me I was getting a dog that could carry it's own weight in emotional baggage. (Also, oh god the noises.) Living with Maverick is like living with a three year old that is constantly on verge of having either the best or worst day of her life. Oh you decided to have people spend the week in MY house, well how about I bark at them whenever they move because clearly you're not doing anything about getting them the gently caress out of here. Oh you came home and I got to chase a stray cat out of the yard, BEST loving DOG DAY EVER!

Here have some pictures of not a triangle.
Hey I noticed you're typing things on the internet and not directly interacting with me in any way, shape, or form.

Okay no seriously you've been up for more than an hour and I have not received one tummy rub. Don't make get whiny up in this bitch.

Not pictured: earsplitting yipes of displeasure when I decided to only give a moderate amount of belly rubs.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Fiona is also a really big fan of relaxing in ridiculous positions.

Bonus normal dog shot:

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

notsowelp posted:

Just 4 you~

:allears:

That poor dog that is awful :( Is that from a show?

GSD experience in gif form. 15 hours a day inside and outside

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
your dogs are the best dogs :3: I love how naughty MoMo is (because I don't have to deal with it)

DenialTwist posted:

Kinda late, but Yay GSD thread. I have a one of these monster and it is weirdest dog experience I've ever had. I wish someone would have told me I was getting a dog that could carry it's own weight in emotional baggage. (Also, oh god the noises.) Living with Maverick is like living with a three year old that is constantly on verge of having either the best or worst day of her life. Oh you decided to have people spend the week in MY house, well how about I bark at them whenever they move because clearly you're not doing anything about getting them the gently caress out of here. Oh you came home and I got to chase a stray cat out of the yard, BEST loving DOG DAY EVER!

Here have some pictures of not a triangle.
Hey I noticed you're typing things on the internet and not directly interacting with me in any way, shape, or form.

Okay no seriously you've been up for more than an hour and I have not received onetummy rub. Don't make get whiny up in this bitch.\

Not pictured: earsplitting yipes of displeasure when I decided to only give a moderate amount of belly rubs.

Literally nothing can prepare you for the noises a GSD makes :gonk: I've never heard another dog make such an ungodly, horrible racket. He either sounds like a hyena or a dying ghost most of the time. And yeah, you basically described Vecna. Every day is either The Best Thing Ever or HELP MY WOLRD IS COLLAPSING IN ON ITSELF. About a month ago my mom came to visit and we had to rearrange a bunch of furniture to fit a matress for her. He spend about 2 days just furiously angry at everything in the world because you moved My Chair and there is this PERSON here and she's in My Spot how could you allow this :qq:. He spent the remainder of her visit incessantly harassing her trying to get her to play with him, which I found kinda adorable but she found really intimidating.

Getting my family to understand him is going to be... interesting. I'm the only person in my family who doesn't own some sort of doodle and holy poo poo, those dogs could not possibly be more different. My mom kept freaking out when he was barking and jumping around and mouthing me because she thought he was attacking me. (The obnoxious mouthing is mostly under control now, he just kinda bumps his jaws against me when he's excited rather than chomping down and giving me horrible bruises) I'm pretty sure my extended family is going to think he's aggressive because he likes to yell at poo poo when he's happy and loves to tug and being a Crazy Dog.

Sorry guys, real dogs like to Do A Thing :smug:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I actually didn't know German shepherds had a reputation for vocalizing. Now I wonder if our dog's organization bred against it, since her littermates didn't do that either. Ours would bark when she was excited, and she would whine when she wanted something or when she was worried, but she was good about stopping at least the I-want-it whining on command. She definitely didn't wander around making sounds at everything like a cat might. Is that normal?

For bonus content, here's a cool Smart Dog story. When she had to go out and the weather was bad, we would put her on a long retractable leash and let her go while we stood on the covered porch. Like any self-respecting dog, she had to explore every foot of yard and woods to find the perfect pee spot, and in the process she would loop her leash all around the trees.

Then she would figure it out and untangle herself from all the trees. And come back and shake all over you, naturally.

I think we really got spoiled. I was dogsitting some neighbors' golden retriever awhile back, and I couldn't believe anyone could actually live with such a dumb -- totally sweet, but two-brain-celled -- dog.

v Take some more videos, wanna hear dat yowling :3:

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 22, 2012

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Anne Whateley posted:

Is that normal?

It's not necessarily abnormal, but yeah most GSDs are pretty huge blabbermouths. Vecna will shut up if I tell him to knock it off but I only do that for things like barking at birds outside the window or screaming about the postman bringing him a new present. I find his horrific yowling kind of endearing :3:

So guys. In the last 3 months, my puppy has gone from this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1U8TRCs6k0
(oh my god my clicker timing is so bad :gonk: this was our first week together, i'm a lot better now I swear)
to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSMCeqzCgo
Where the gently caress did my little puppy go???

I'm sorry about the poo poo lighting and shaky camera. I only have my iPhone at the moment and well... this is winter in Germany. We have about 6 hours of daylight right now. It's hard to get a well lit video.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 21, 2012

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Shelby, when excited makes a high pitch yipping, yapping, whining hyena sound. Petite little Alice has has a deep guttural bark of a dog 10 times her size.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Before I got my GSD, I didn't know they were so...talkative, either. But ever since I got her, it's been a constant stream of WHIIINEE YIP WHINE. I thought something was wrong with her for a long time because she always WHINES when anything happens. Oh you're home!? Whine. You have a ball? WHINE. Car ride, treat, see a squirrel in the yard? You're looking at me? Whiiiine.

And I just recently learned it was GSD thing. This noisy bitch.

DenialTwist posted:

Okay no seriously you've been up for more than an hour and I have not received one tummy rub. Don't make get whiny up in this bitch.

This is my dog every morning.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know if anyone's interested, but I found a site that focuses on clicker training for Schutzhund. This is their YouTube channel.

Also I found an awesome video of a 7 year old handler in the 2010 Working Dog Championships.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?Sn3VghnNEpc

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm personally really interested in how dogs who are clicker trained do at Schutzhund compared to ones trained the traditional ways, so I love that sorta stuff.

Although looking at the website I see they're fans of prong and shock collars, so I get the feeling the clicker training doesn't play a huge role.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Schutzhund does seen to have a macho punishment thing going on.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Skizzles posted:

I'm personally really interested in how dogs who are clicker trained do at Schutzhund compared to ones trained the traditional ways, so I love that sorta stuff.

Although looking at the website I see they're fans of prong and shock collars, so I get the feeling the clicker training doesn't play a huge role.

I think Denise Fenzi does some sort of protection sport training, and she does it mostly through R+ and P-.

My understanding is that in general dogs who are clicker trained to do the sport are a little flat and lackluster compared to those who are trained more traditionally.

Filboid Studge posted:

Schutzhund does seen to have a macho punishment thing going on.

It's not really a macho thing. It's that the dogs who participate find nothing in the world more reinforcing than biting and tugging on that sleeve. How are you going to get a dog who will out a sleeve reliably if there's nothing more in the world he wants? You're either a) going to have to utilize punishment or b) you're going to have to make a dog who likes other reinforcement better. I think the reason a lot of the clicker trained Sch dogs are flat is because they're working for reinforcement but may not find the work itself reinforcing.

a life less fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 24, 2012

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah they are balance trainers, but the instruction stuff on their website is all clicker training. Pure clicker training in Schutzhund is really, really uncommon though I have seen a few people who clicker train the protection phase, and R+ is usually used for the tracking phase. There does seem to be some movement in protection, police, and military work to start moving towards positive training methods though, especially since the military has found that some complex behaviors can't be trained via traditional methods. I'd be curious to see how R+/P- dogs do in protection sports but honestly I don't know of any trainers who purely use it. I think it's kind of ridiculous to call the training method "macho" though because it's really not about that.

In other news, Vecna got some Christmas presents today

He hates his bow

E: I got some cool dog books from my husband for Christmas! He knows me so well :3:

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 25, 2012

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I don't mean to knock the entire community, but a lot of the police, prison and (decreasingly) army handlers- who are the only bunch I've personally met- are very macho, and are very keen on severe P+ training. I'm sure there are a whole load of people to contradict those experiences, though :)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I think comparing police and miltary handlers to sport handlers is misleading, even if there is a lot of crossover between the groups. I think it's kind of understandable that police and military handlers are so gung-ho about harsh corrections because their dogs need to be bomb proof and if those dogs gently caress up, people get hurt. Schutzhund is a protection sport but it's still a sport, even if lots of police handlers are into it. There actually was a pretty cool article on Sophia Yin's website about a slight move towards R+ based training in the military because they've found some behaviors flat out cannot be taught via force based training. You can read it here. Honestly though, I'd be surprised if the military and police force ever move completely away from compulsion-based training.

I'm about halfway through the Schutzhund book I got for Xmas (Schutzhund: Theory and Training Methods) and I'm really surprised how little force the authors advocate, which is a pleasent surprise. Honestly beyond basic "how do I train dog" books, it's been one of the most useful training books I've ever read. As Vecna gets older I've noticed that while he'll work for food with no problem, he doesn't have the attentiveness, enthusiasm, and drive I'd like to see out of him. But he thinks I have a rubber ball in my pocket he will literally throw himself into downs and sits and he'll ignore any distraction we've encountered so far (even people food, other dogs, and chasing small animals). The thing I really dig about this book is that they start out training the behaviors with food and once the dog understands them, they move on to a ball reward. I know it sounds kind of stupid but I've had a hard time figuring out how to transition from food to toy rewards in a lot of situations and it's outlined so clearly and precisely here.

Just as a random example: His recall used to to be really excellent but recently he's taken up the obnoxious habit of coming slowly and sometimes sniffing around before coming. He does this even if I run away from him and start making stupid noises and use the highest food reward possible. We've been practicing a restrained recall using fetch as a reward and the difference between his recalls is astounding. Same thing with using a ball reward for a sit/stay and down/stay.

The only issue I've really run into with the ball reward so far is that he gets really resource guard-y around other dogs if it's on the ground and putting it away doesn't work. If the ball's on the ground he'll chase other dogs off of it and if I put it in my pocket or in a bag, he knows I have it so he'll chase off any dog that comes up to say 'hi'. If a dog steals his ball or he can carry it around in his mouth, he's pretty much fine but it's a little stressful to deal with.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Triangulum posted:

I think it's kind of understandable that police and military handlers are so gung-ho about harsh corrections because their dogs need to be bomb proof and if those dogs gently caress up, people get hurt.
I really like this article on punishment that addresses many of the points you brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
:saddowns: I live on a military base and my neighbor is a military police dog handler. That man is an absolute sweetheart with dogs and these assumptions make me sad.

• Locked thread