Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Does anybody use a furminator on a long coat shepherd?

Bonus pic of our girl Greta:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

You can, but it's not good for the coat. Basically the blade shreds the top coat when you use it. I have a dog with a similar coat and I use a comb, a slicker and a curry brush. A double row pin comb gets a considerable amount of fur out. A blow-out from a forced air dryer is probably best for getting rid of excess coat.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Everything a life less said. :) Also, your dog is adorable. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I've been using a Furminator on Shadow for a long time and it seems to work way better than my undercoat rake at getting the undercoat out. How does it damage the top coat? AM I DOING IT WRONG? :saddowns: What would you guys recommend instead? He has basically a normal GSD coat, but soft, not nearly as coarse as some GSDs.

edit: btw, please send Greta to me. :3:

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks for the replies. We might just stick with the rake for now. She sure does shed a lot.

Skizzles posted:

Also, can't let her go. Josie would get lonely.

Those two are like peas and carrots

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Skizzles posted:

I've been using a Furminator on Shadow for a long time and it seems to work way better than my undercoat rake at getting the undercoat out. How does it damage the top coat? AM I DOING IT WRONG? :saddowns: What would you guys recommend instead? He has basically a normal GSD coat, but soft, not nearly as coarse as some GSDs.

Shadow doesn't have a long coat. :) Greta's coat would be soft like Cohen's and the furminator would never even get to the undercoat. As long as you're going with the growth of the hair, and not over using it, you should be fine.

You should bring Shadow to visit Chicago some day, then you could get a personalized grooming consultation... Just saying...

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

WolfensteinBag posted:

Shadow doesn't have a long coat. :) Greta's coat would be soft like Cohen's and the furminator would never even get to the undercoat. As long as you're going with the growth of the hair, and not over using it, you should be fine.

You should bring Shadow to visit Chicago some day, then you could get a personalized grooming consultation... Just saying...

Yeesss, you could bathe him and he will stand in the tub giving you his 1000-yard stare of "my life is clearly over." :3: Fortunately he doesn't need baths very often.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I keep posting pictures on PIFB and forgetting to post here :p

4th of july was bath day.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

I heart bacon posted:

Does anybody use a furminator on a long coat shepherd?

Bonus pic of our girl Greta:

You could maybe try the Furminator shampoo, from what I've heard it just loosens the undercoat. You'd still have to use a force blower to blow it out though. Bathing places around here offer a brush and blow out, could be worth looking into? Or maybe if you can swing it pick up a basic force dryer for home use? Wouldn't have to be pro quality but that + a good brushing like A life less suggested seems to be the best way to get rid of loose fur/undercoat imo

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I have one of the low end $120 force dryers from pet edge. Its pretty weak compared to the heavy duty ones I used as a groomer, but if you just put a bit more time into it the end result is about the same. If I did it again I might step up to the ~$250 one that is twice as powerful.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

The Paw has force dryers available for use on open swim days. I should just take them up for swimming and then use these. I bet that would work pretty well.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Well, we have a huge conundrum in our house. My husband and I were volunteering at a shelter event over the weekend and we met Pluto:

He's a 6 year old GSD that was dropped off at the shelter because his previous owner couldn't afford to treat his ear infections and resulting hematoma. He has the BEST temperament, he was completely oblivious to the mass chaos going on around him, just lived for pets and loved when the kids would come by to see him. Great with them and all the other animals, even small ones. He seems like his diet was pretty crappy, his coat is super dry and he really needs to put on some muscle, but he has SO much potential.

He really would be a great fit in our house, but then that means we wouldn't be able to get our SchH puppy. We were after a girl, he's a boy. He's already 6 when we were planning on a much younger dog. He definitely seems like he'll be healthy enough once he's back in shape, and he's super smart and learns well, so I know I'd still be able to do competitive obedience with him, but he's just SO relaxed that I don't know if bitework would be a good fit for him. That could change if he gets into a nice structured home with some regular training, but he also could stay nice and lazy.

So we're super torn!! We don't want him stuck at the shelter, and he IS a really wonderful dog. I'm positive he'd be good with Buddy and Nolan, but it's a really difficult decision when you're considering putting a life goal on the back burner for another 5-10 years.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Just get the fuckin' dog, you've been planning on getting one for how long now? Practice SchH obedience with that one and maybe some tracking and then in a year or two you can get a puppy and be ahead of the game.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I say wait for your perfectish puppy. But the bonus of having a dog who you know will gel well with your home is pretty huge.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

ALL, that's exactly why we're debating so much, how well he would fit it.

Tri, when I say I'm pushing back a puppy 5-10 years, I really mean that. After the dog comes another kid (at some point) and it really just wouldn't happen for a long while. We ARE still on a Wildhaus waiting list for a fall litter, but it's tough waiting for the PERFECT dog when it's only a maybe when we have a perfectly acceptable family dog waiting right here.

We're actually going to try talking my mother-in-law into taking him. :3: Then I could ease my conscious and still train the guy.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
The solution to this conundrum is really easy. Have them put Pluto on hold and I'll come get him. :3:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
If you really wouldn't get another dog for 10 years, I'd definitely wait then.

Apparently I haven't posted my dogs here since like Feb. Vex just turned two and he's a lot bigger now.

E: Oh yeah, I'm working on adopting this Malinois girl.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 22, 2014

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

She looks like Toothless the dragon :3:

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Mo is back from his summer vacation. He got to spend two weeks running wild around a small island and swimming. I think he's even more muscular now

Not that you can tell with the silly filter :saddowns:

Edit

Q: Should I get a GSD as my first dog?
A: Does this look like something that might be fun for you all day? (It is for me)

Blurry as heck but there is only one foot total on the ground in the second picture.

Queen Elizatits fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 27, 2014

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Queen Elizatits posted:

A: Does this look like something that might be fun for you all day? (It is for me)

Blurry as heck but there is only one foot total on the ground in the second picture.

All day, every day. Also notice the lovely holes Kas chewed in my couch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL6Tqe1iB3g
I'd totally forgotten Kas has that pretty collar until I rewatched this. I wonder where the gently caress it is...

Can't even cuddle with the dogs without it turning into the Thunderdome

Vecna high as poo poo after getting a bladder tap at the vet. He fell off my bed, landed like this, and proceeded to lay there and drool for the next four hours. The huge cocktail of sedatives in no way prevented him from trying to eat the vet techs of course.

Pet me slave

And the award for "most idiot faced GSD ever" goes to Kas

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Queen Elizatits posted:

Well since they seem to have eaten your TV, you obviously have nothing better to do.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well since they seem to have eaten your TV, you obviously have nothing better to do.

We have to move to Texas and there was no way I was lugging that 80lbs monstrosity across the country again.

Actually this is relevant to the thread! I am moving to Lackland AFB and that is where the military dog training attachment is located I am so frigging excited. You can volunteer to raise the puppies until they are about six months I think. They have GSDs, Belgian Malinois, and Dutch Shepherds. I am hoping you can also volunteer to be one of the guys the dogs practice biting.

I wonder if anyone would notice if I did the puppy fostering thing and then gave them Mo back instead

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Aw I just saw that girl on the DoD's facebook page :3: I am so jealous, foster all the lackland pups please. From what I understand decoy work is generally restricted to MWD handlers unfortunately

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Triangulum posted:

Aw I just saw that girl on the DoD's facebook page :3: I am so jealous, foster all the lackland pups please. From what I understand decoy work is generally restricted to MWD handlers unfortunately

Yep you are 100& correct on the decoy work I just checked :( I know it make sense, they don't want a volunteer doing something stupid and injuring the dog.

I couldn't figure out if they would use volunteer kennel hands which I would also be all about doing. Cleaning up poop would be totally worth it it just to get to see the dogs up close.

Fostering puppies would be neat, at first I wasn't sure if I could handle giving the dog up at six months but then I remembered that is the start of the terrible teenage-hood of puppy frenzies so yes I think I could.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
The thing with decoy work is that inexperienced decoys can ruin a dog for patrol work pretty easily even without injuring them. Too much pressure too early can be a death knell for a dog's career unfortunately. IIRC at Lackland people newly assigned to the MWD program serve as kennel hands for the first 3 or 4 months before they get their hands on the dogs which might be why there's no info on their website. I believe it's the same down here at Pendleton. I do know that generally one family doesn't foster a puppy, it's spread between a handful of them because they really want the dogs to be with people 24/7 and that can be hard for one person to manage with such over the top dogs. I know the retired MWD adoption program is run out of Lackland, you probably could volunteer to work with them pretty easily.

E: Vecna is going to herd sheep today. Pray for those sheep.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 30, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jesus Christ that nightmare fuel. :stare:

Seeing this thread is making me miss my old Shepard Phantom. Poor fella got stomach cancer and had to be put down when he was 10. Good grief that was 10 years ago now... I'll see if I can find some pictures.

Edit:

Unfortunately, the only pictures I could find were from my sister, and we didn't have digital cameras back then :bahgawd: She was also big on stupid photo edits back in the day. But I'll take what I can get.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 1, 2014

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

He was a very handsome dog. I say this as someone who doesn't normally love the plush coat. I can just imagine the shedding

It turns out Hyperlapse is pretty fun for taking dog videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0AUaTXGVfU

Damage8185
Mar 29, 2010
This is Thor, who is hands down the best GSD I've had:

I'm moving into a duplex and out of my apartment next month. The owner is completely fine with me having Thor (he's been at my mom's while I've been in my apartment) and I'm now faced with a few housing problems. I work on call for the railroad, so when I go to work I'm normally gone for 30-48ish hours three times a week. I've had a few solutions to the obvious problems run through my head and I figured I'd throw them online for some advice.

1) Build a kennel off the back porch and install a doggy door for him to go in and out as he pleases, leaving enough food for two days.
2) Bury a pole in the backyard and buy a nice doghouse for him to stay in while I'm gone. (He's 4 and has always been an inside dog).
3) Pay a friend to stop by the few days I am gone to let him out and change his water.

He's extremely well behaved, and I know that he can adapt to every living situation possible. My only concern with #2 is the fact that there's been a rash of dog thefts in the Atlanta area and I'd rather not leave him outside for that long.

Damage8185 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 6, 2014

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Keep leaving your dog with your mom, those are all terrible ideas.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Triangulum posted:

Keep leaving your dog with your mom, those are all terrible ideas.

Agreed. Those are all terrible terrible ideas for any dog but especially a young GSD. You are asking for a tragedy.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

Damage8185 posted:

I'm normally gone for 30-48ish hours three times a week.

This is way too long for any dog to be alone, or even to have someone stopping in a few times a day to let them out/feed them. Dogs are social animals. I used to work 3 12-hour shifts a week and even that was hell on the dog I owned at the time, and he got destructive because for 3-4 days a week, I was just working and sleeping and basically ignoring him (I still walked him daily but the rest of the time I was sleeping or working).

I mean, even 30 hours 3x a week is 90 hours. 48 hours 3x a week is 6 days. Neither of those schedules are okay for owning a 4-year-old GSD.

If you can work it out, doing a shared ownership thing would be great. Let Thor live with your mom or with a friend when you're working, and take him home when you're able to. As long as you're consistent about who he stays with (as in, don't rotate him among friends, have your home and one or two others aside from rare pet sitting situations), it should be pretty fun for him. You get the benefits of having Thor with you when you're home, and you don't hurt him by forcing him into isolation.

Don't own a young, high-energy breed with your work schedule, though. I have a five-year-old GSD so I know they're very adaptable but I also know that they need a lot of interaction. Please prioritize Thor's wellbeing here. Many dogs with good temperaments will tolerate lovely situations but that doesn't mean they're happy. What you're describing isn't nearly enough for a fairly young GSD.

I have a 15-year-old heeler who I wouldn't subject to "30-48ish hours, three times a week" of solitude. I'd expect my GSD to go insane with that schedule.

Abutiu fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 7, 2014

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Its time to go hunting. Sometimes dogs get bored when we sit and watch.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Its time to go hunting. Sometimes dogs get bored when we sit and watch.

Is the dog trained to help, or just there for company? Also, whatcha going for?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Suspect Bucket posted:

Is the dog trained to help, or just there for company? Also, whatcha going for?

A little bit of A and B. Mostly just for company, and sometimes we are out almost from dawn to dusk and don't like leaving them at home. Those pictures are when we were looking for black bear. We eat them, if you get a good grass- and blueberry-fed bear the meat is very nice.

Last week we were out and shot two grouse. Sigma (the guy with his chin on my .300 WSM) found the one bird who managed to hop into the bush, and he fetched it live to hand. That's definitely not what a GSD is meant to do, its great if they have a nice hard mouth, but it was a great perk to bringing the dogs on a hunt. Grouse are instantly camouflaged in the undergrowth, and we were able to save the meat and give the dogs the offal as a reward :)

ETA: We do a bit of nosework with them, as my husband has hopes that they will track down a bear or moose for us some day. I don't know, Sigma is fairly weak nerved and I think he would need too much handler reassurrance. Delta (the one with her chin in my hand) is very confident. I don't know if I would trust her offlead with large game, I worry she might get herself into trouble. She is smart and fast, but I worry about my Delty.

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 9, 2014

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know if anyone else is following it but the IPO World Championship is happening right now. Results so far: http://fciwm2014.se/resultat_tavla_tysk.html
Livestream (it's not free and it's not cheap): http://shop.working-dog.eu/en/Live-Stream/FCI-WM-IPO-2014-LIVE-STREAM-1-Live-Stream.html

Looks like the FCI decided to keep the stick hits, I wonder how they pulled that off. I thought that was illegal in Sweden. http://video.se.msn.com/watch/video/vm-for-brukshundar/1nke7tbf7

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 11, 2014

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I am trying to imagine how strong I would have to be to be able to tie a brand new piece of pvc pipe to a rope and swing it with my face into a wall and have it break in half. Pretty strong I imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38dM4UoVqV0

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
The FCI posted some photos from day 1 of the World Championship.

Nice to see some GSDs in the top scores so far rather than nothing but BSDs.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Sorry for the double post but I don't post nearly enough pics of Kas on her own.
She has great focus especially for a dog who came to us terrified of everything

She's starting to get some pretty decent muscle for an unconditioned, spayed female :3:

She'll never be an IPO dog but drat does she love that bite wedge.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

These good dogs turned 4 today :)

Delta knows how I roll, but Sigma hates how cruel I can be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Just posting with my obligatory, "Thanks for posting pictures of your dogs!" I don't usually get a chance to actually reply to anything, but I'm still following the thread for the pictures. :3

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Those pictures are when we were looking for black bear. We eat them, if you get a good grass- and blueberry-fed bear the meat is very nice.

This just has me picturing a field with slow moving animals ala Oregon Trail. The bears were the best!

Oh! While I'm here, I might as well post a puppy update. Well, the litter we were waiting on didn't pan out. :smith: It was the second time breeding this female to this male where it didn't take, so they did some more testing and found that she's likely infertile. This was going to be her last litter, anyway, so she's obviously retiring now, and they're just planning their next litter for later in winter. So we're basically waiting another 6 months, and there's no sire picked out yet. The wait is absolutely killing me! I'm really on the edge of my seat for what sire they're going to pick, since their female is black. Whoever the male is, is going to determine what patterns the puppies throw. :ohdear: Because of all the traits the dogs could have, the color is the one I should be focused on, right? :downs:

• Locked thread