Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

^^^^^ That's awesome!! How'd the class go?

There are new puppy pictures! :3 They left the co-owner's house and are now living with the breeder. 5 weeks old. 4 more to go until puppy comes home!
http://s419.photobucket.com/user/wildhaus/library/P%20Litter?sort=3&page=1

Here's the other album, too, there are a ton of pictures there as well:
http://s253.photobucket.com/user/dinahmyte7/library/P%20vom%20Wildhaus#/user/dinahmyte7/library/P%20vom%20Wildhaus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Class was uh... an experience. Kikopup/Emily Larlham's wife Martina and their border collie Lumos are in our class which is pretty neat. Vex did really well for a while and was able to eat and work around two bitches but once he got into the ring he kind of lost his mind. He got really stressed out, started hollering at the other dogs, and spazzed out on the end of his leash which kinda sucked. But the first session of group classes are always a stressful pain in the rear end with him and he did much, much better than he ever has before so I think he'll be ok. His leg was also really bothering him which tends to make him more reactive and very difficult to get focused so I'm sure that played a part in it.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Awww, poor guy! Well hopefully things work out and he settles into the routine, you've put so much work into him! Both of you deserve to be able to take classes. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

We got a bit of an update! My breeder emailed me to clarify some things about our future dog, and she mentioned that even though it's still up in the air, it most likely won't be Pandora (red collar) or Pheonix ( B&T girl with the magenta collar, used to be purple). So that at least narrows it down to 6 instead of 8! That's still 4 sables and 2 B&T. It's getting crazy close to puppy time, they're 7 weeks tomorrow!

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Well we moved to Texas and Mo has a job now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6J7ktJg0PY

That's almost as good as sheep right :(

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

A year of my boy growing up.

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 15, 2015

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
cool does it do anything

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 16, 2015

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

FINALLY!!

Meet Phantom vom Wildhaus, aka Spectre:

She's already amazing. She's like a little shadow and just watches you like she's awaiting orders. Fitting in super already, I can't wait to work with her!

She's from the first litter listed, out of Isis and Rico:
http://wildhauskennels.com/litters.htm

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Congrats! So when's her first IPO lesson :3:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

My local police department tweets out a lot of photos of current/retired police service dogs.

"PSD Parker helping out in the communications centre"

"Retired PSD Titan enjoying the snow"

"PSD Parker says cheeeeese!"

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Hey! I know Parker & Titan's handler! She's great! And she's an awesome photographer too. <3 She & Parker apparently have more finds by far than the rest of the K9 unit in the PD.

I recognized Parker from the last photo, and I had to scroll back up to take a closer look at the others. Small world!

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

They're both lovely dogs. Any excuse to get more of them in my twitter feed is good stuff.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Congrats! So when's her first IPO lesson :3:

Won't be for a bit, yet. We're all screwed up since puppy classes at the GSD club have been TBD for a long time, now. If I can't get in over there, I'll have to go somewhere else, which is rather not do. Not that other places aren't wonderful, they're just geared towards different sports. I want to make sure we start right.

GeekCom
Jan 9, 2014
So this is our Dog Olinda.

Ya I know she looks all cute but she is a complete diva.

She will.

Howl at any an all sirens
Will not eat dry food by it's self but will eat wet/canned food on top of dry food then eat the dry food.
Will whine and cry while running out the door to go bark at something through the fence
Will jump up from behind the couch and start slapping me in the head until I reach back to pet/play with her.
Will not leave the poor old Staffordshire Terrier who is 11 alone at night and get her butt kicked for doing so.
Is protective of my wife when I am not around
Will sit and lay down next to me when I snap my fingers at her.
Jumps right up on me when I get home and kisses the living crap out of me.

So ya she is an awesome dog. Just look at that face.

Look at it and daaaaw

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful

Good seminar, good dog. If you're doing scent detection, Mike Suttle is worth it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Adopted this little girl about a month ago from a local rescue. 11 months old, a little on the scrawny side, but healthy otherwise. Not sure if she's purebred or some kind of mix. Named her Zelda

These are from the first week we had her.

And from today, she's starting to fill out since we've got her on a proper diet.

She's been amazing so far, a little ball of energy but very mild mannered and never barks which I find a little odd for a shepherd.

My friend is a trainer and she starts her first official classes tomorrow though she's already pretty good with basic commands.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
My parents GSD had a check up on Wed the 27th, vet felt an unusual lump so they scheduled an ultrasound. There was a tumour found in his spleen. The vet warned my parents that it might be a hemangiosarcoma and to prepare for the worst, as a result both my parents have been in tears at the possible loss of their (well, he's mine too) dog (one of two, the other is a golden retriever). The GSD is 4 years old now, so it was a little unexpected.

Anyway, the vet organised for an X-Ray to confirm if it had travelled to the lungs, which turned out to be clear. They operated and removed his spleen, as well as checked his liver for anything unusual. He's recovering fine, thankfully. Hopefully he'll be home tomorrow, though the vet wants him x-rayed once every 2-3 months, as well as having regular check ups at the same time. Thankfully its the regular check ups that allowed the vet to find the issue in the first place.

There's no point to this post, just needed to say it somewhere since most people I interact with don't quite get my affection for my dogs (even if they are my parents dogs, I consider them mine - both of them treat me differently to anyone else (including my parents) and respond to me as if I was always there).

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

KingPave posted:

My parents GSD had a check up on Wed the 27th, vet felt an unusual lump so they scheduled an ultrasound. There was a tumour found in his spleen. The vet warned my parents that it might be a hemangiosarcoma and to prepare for the worst, as a result both my parents have been in tears at the possible loss of their (well, he's mine too) dog (one of two, the other is a golden retriever). The GSD is 4 years old now, so it was a little unexpected.

Anyway, the vet organised for an X-Ray to confirm if it had travelled to the lungs, which turned out to be clear. They operated and removed his spleen, as well as checked his liver for anything unusual. He's recovering fine, thankfully. Hopefully he'll be home tomorrow, though the vet wants him x-rayed once every 2-3 months, as well as having regular check ups at the same time. Thankfully its the regular check ups that allowed the vet to find the issue in the first place.

There's no point to this post, just needed to say it somewhere since most people I interact with don't quite get my affection for my dogs (even if they are my parents dogs, I consider them mine - both of them treat me differently to anyone else (including my parents) and respond to me as if I was always there).

How scary! I'm glad to hear he is doing well.

Peepopo
Oct 14, 2009

This is King our GSD (at the back) and Dixie our GSD/Border Collie X. She's a whole different story.

King had some troubles getting upstairs this morning and I noticed he was dragging his right hind paw. This progressed to barely being able to stand. We took him to the vet and they think he had a fibrocartilaginous embolism; or "back stroke" as I'm hearing it referred to. Needless to say I was terrified after having a previous dog pass from a stroke that started with similar symptoms. We'll be starting physio with him immediately and have been told the prognosis is good for recovery. For now he can barely stand/walk which makes it hard to get him outside to conduct his business.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experiences with fibrocartilaginous embolisms. Trying to stay positive with his 9th birthday only 6 days away.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Hey thread its been a while

We had two birthdays last week! Vecna turned 3

and Kassie is 4!

She was very excited about getting cheeseburgers

Kas and Heidi have formed a truce. Neither is particularly fond of the other but they coexist peacefully and have learned to mind their own business.

Surprisingly, Vex and Heidi are now secret best bros. I say secret because when we're around they mostly ignore each other but they play chase and wrestle when they think I'm not looking. It's super sweet how gentle he is with her :3:

Heidi still hasn't gotten this whole "car" thing figured out

Despite her white beard and grey rear end hairs, our vet thinks Heidi is probably only 1 or 2. I'm still a bit skeptical myself because I've never met a young GSD as lazy as she is.

Psychobabble! visited us and Vex thought she was the greatest thing to ever happen to him

We went to a couple Schutzhund trials and hung out with some real cool dogs

Kas got to do some pretend bitework

And Vecna is.. well, vecna

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 20, 2015

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

The Zombie Guy posted:

"Retired PSD Titan enjoying the snow broke into the evidence locker again"

ftfy

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

What's scarier than being chased by a police dog? Being chased by a police dog that's hopped up on cocaine of course! :dogdrugs:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
My mother grew up with a lovely German shepherd who died young of very, very bad hip displasia. This was back in the 60s-70s. Have the major genetic problems with the breed been fixed at all? I've been considering getting pax a buddy maybe a year from now, and love GSDs but also don't like beloved pets dying early from preventable genetic diseases :/

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

My mother grew up with a lovely German shepherd who died young of very, very bad hip displasia. This was back in the 60s-70s. Have the major genetic problems with the breed been fixed at all? I've been considering getting pax a buddy maybe a year from now, and love GSDs but also don't like beloved pets dying early from preventable genetic diseases :/

Overall, not really. You can mitigate the potential issues by purchasing a puppy from a quality breeder with minimal issues in their lines. I would not be grabbing a random GSD puppy from, say, a Craigslist ad or anything.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Hip dysplasia isn't really something that a dog can die of, it just cripples the poo poo out of them. Contrary to popular belief, HD really isn't the fault of show breeders. The problem is that when the breed was being developed, some of the founding stock had pretty bad HD as did the early popular sires. So honestly it will always be an issue in the breed but like alifeless said, research your lines and find some who've had minimal issues with HD and you'll have a much better chance at getting a dog would good hips.

My husband and I bought a place out in the country with a full kennel setup and holy poo poo are the dogs ever stoked.

now to build 600ft of fencing to keep vex from disappearing into the back country :gonk:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Triangulum posted:

Hip dysplasia isn't really something that a dog can die of, it just cripples the poo poo out of them. Contrary to popular belief, HD really isn't the fault of show breeders. The problem is that when the breed was being developed, some of the founding stock had pretty bad HD as did the early popular sires. So honestly it will always be an issue in the breed but like alifeless said, research your lines and find some who've had minimal issues with HD and you'll have a much better chance at getting a dog would good hips.

My husband and I bought a place out in the country with a full kennel setup and holy poo poo are the dogs ever stoked.

now to build 600ft of fencing to keep vex from disappearing into the back country :gonk:

Yeah, the dog was left unable to walk at age 7-8 and had to be put down :(

She was apparently a fantastic dog though.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah it's a huge bummer, they're such cool dogs but man some of them are so hosed up. I've seen a few down at the humane society that are so crippled I can't even wrap my head around why they haven't been put down.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
For future reference, what would you guys reccomend for good breeders in the Mid Atlantic region? We wouldn't be getting pax a friend for another year or so, but I've heard that it takes that long to get to know a reputable breeder and reserve puppies

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Really depends on what you want out of the dog. If you're just looking for a nice pet and a buddy for Pax, I probably wouldn't go working line. I'm not too familiar with show lines tbh but I'd look for a breeder that shows in CKC rather than AKC because they penalize pretty heavily for hosed up back legs. If you tell me what state you're in, I'll see if I can find some for you.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Triangulum posted:

Really depends on what you want out of the dog. If you're just looking for a nice pet and a buddy for Pax, I probably wouldn't go working line. I'm not too familiar with show lines tbh but I'd look for a breeder that shows in CKC rather than AKC because they penalize pretty heavily for hosed up back legs. If you tell me what state you're in, I'll see if I can find some for you.

We are in Maryland, but I wouldn't mind driving an hour or two for a healthy puppy. I really appreciate it, no rush obviously because Pax still has to grow up a bit first before we even think of adding another dog

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
No prob. Local is preferable imo just because you can meet the parents, meet the other dogs on site, see what kind of conditions they live in etc. It's also worth asking around on the German Shepherd Dog forums, there's a lot of very experienced people there who are pretty helpful. If it were me, I'd look for someone breeding moderate drive and energy showlines who puts obedience and maybe agility titles on their dogs. Always look for extensive hip and elbow testing, DM testing is a plus too. I probably wouldn't look for a breeder who does a ton of protection work because those dogs tend to be harder, sharper, and higher drive than most people want for a house pet. A mellower female like my girl Heidi would probably suit your needs quite well.

You also might consider looking into a rescue. There are a shitload of GSD specific rescues and they almost always have a number of puppies.

Speaking of Pax, how's his nosework stuff going?

E: also - avoid white shepherds like the loving plague

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 6, 2015

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

We are in Maryland, but I wouldn't mind driving an hour or two for a healthy puppy. I really appreciate it, no rush obviously because Pax still has to grow up a bit first before we even think of adding another dog

We got our GSD, Hildy, at von Hornberger Shepherds in Oxford, PA. They do show dogs, but we were clear we wanted a pet.

Hips were certified, she's got a beautiful temperment and is great with our kids. We got her about eight years ago.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
The difference in general health and temperment between my wife's rescue shepard (who had horrible hip dysplasia and acquired degenerative myelopathy) and the incredible wunderhund we acquired from a breeder is amazing. I'm not knocking rescue dogs but if you want to do something with your dog, or don't feel like you can handle watching your dog suffer until you decide to end it, doing your research and finding a good breeder is the way to go.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
As soon as exams settle down, I am going to try and post some pictures of my moms childhood GSD, Doina. Apparently Doina was from one of the lines that came over to the US originally back in the day. My mom still has trouble talking about her a bit, which sounds really dumb because it's been like 40 years but everyone loved that dog. She did mention that Doina had a unique personality, and was a bit of a serious dog at times, but I'm looking for a more serious dog to balance out Paxs goofiness (he also, bizarrely, seems to get along really well with shepherds in general...the worst they do if he is being too goofy is just ignore him).

I know it's a ways off, but I figured I would start reading up on the breed in advance as well

Pez Rattie
Jan 1, 2010
I'M A DUMB, SNEERY CUNT AND SO IS MY ROOM MATE

For future reference, what would you guys reccomend for good breeders in the Mid Atlantic region? We wouldn't be getting pax a friend for another year or so, but I've heard that it takes that long to get to know a reputable breeder and reserve puppies

Blackthorn Working German Shepherds outside of Richmond, VA.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Lol yeah DDR working lines for someone who just wants a pet, fantastic suggestion

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

I have a Czech/DDR dog and not only is she my best friend, she's a great pet. I'd never have her in an apartment, though. We live on about a half acre and have access to a farm to let her run and play.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Having acreage makes a huge difference though and there are some pretty intense dogs in that breeder's pedigrees. If you're looking for a pet, non-sport dog for city living getting dogs out of chiller lines is a better bet than going balls to the wall with a working line and praying for the best. As much as I love working lines, they're not super appropriate for pet-only homes (doubly so if you don't have land) and the DDR and Czech lines tend to be even sharper and slow maturing than most. If he was hell bent on a WL (which as far as I can tell he isn't) West German show/working line mixes tend to produce some nice dogs that are a bit less intense.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

I agree. My Josie was crazy driven. She hated her crate and even destroyed her upper canines trying to break out. We kept her busy and she matured into my best friend. She clung to me during my last time with the flu. Her nickname is mama bear because of the way she looks after us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
so where are the pics :colbert:

• Locked thread