Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Great job on the OP. Very informative :)

Triangulum posted:

The ideal dog is stamped with a look of quality and nobility--difficult to define, but unmistakable when present. Secondary sex characteristics are strongly marked, and every animal gives a definite impression of masculinity or femininity, according to its sex.

I was curious if anyone has more information on this part? I have never heard of that before and find it interesting. Are there specific patterns that are considered masculine/feminine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Triangulum posted:

It's not referring to coat patterns, it means the physical structure of the dog's body. Secondary sex characteristics refer to the structure of the head, the bulkiness of the body, etc. Here's a little illustration:

Thanks. I saw the word "marked" and my mind went to coat markings and got stuck there. I will definitely check out that thread later on after class!

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Triangulum posted:

I'd suggest they go to the breeders who do a mix of working and good showlines and produce structurally sound but lower drive dogs. There is actually something in between "horrible frogdog", "literally a police dog", and "GSD version of a labradoodle" dude.

Probably would have been more helpful to include this with your first reply to the king shepherd stuff. Sludge seems to be handling it well, but better to educate someone than risk chasing them off and then post good info. I mean, I can see how someone who isn't as involved in the dog world could fall for shiloh/king shepherds and instead of shaming them like notsowelp said, give them a friendly nudge in the right direction. If they then continue to be stupid? Attitude is justified.

Edit: and not to mention, I have been reading up on archives and many PI regulars were innocently clueless to stuff like this not long ago (myself included). You have to start somewhere.

cryingscarf fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 5, 2013

• Locked thread