Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

GSDs really, really need excellent socialization and continued training no matter what their breeding. Pretty much every GSD that comes to the training place I work ends up in our reactive dog class at some point in their lives. A lot of them are from lovely BYBs but not all. They're all bred for neophobia which makes them good protection dogs but can lead to reactivity if you don't actively work on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

WolfensteinBag posted:

So, yeah, I don't know what to do!! I still have time to decide, but I would hate to miss out on a good dog by dragging my feet. I know I'm going to wait at least a little longer to see if anything pops up with Wildhaus, but I just don't know!

Have you actually contacted either of these breeders or are you just being a looky-loo on their websites? I'm sure the people at Wildhaus know what their current breeding plans are even if they haven't posted them so you can always write/call and ask. Then see what the demand is like and if they think you have a chance of getting a puppy in the time you want. Contact the other breeder too. Ask about the breeding you are interested in and bring up your concerns. They should either be able to address the things you are worried about and if not you will know you don't want to continue to pursue that breeder.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I just finished watching Andrew Ramsey's nosework DVD and it seems very doable for amateurs teaching themselves with just a little equipment. I really like his method and I've heard that he is helping AKC and UKC to develop nosework trials/titles. There are no nosework classes that are aimed towards trialing at all in my region but I'm hoping when its picked up by other places that will change.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

a life less posted:

Dog's name is VP Carma vom Oz Haus. Not being a GSD person, I have no other info for you. I would steal that puppy in a second though. Looks amazing. Want her.

Here you go. I love that fuzzy little GSD too :3: (I want Onyx the mal more though, I may be insane)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Triangulum posted:

I know this sounds terrible but I'm honestly not sure what the exact purpose of teaching wrap is. I know she explained it during class but I missed a lot of the instruction because I was busy trying to keep Vex from eating the other dogs :sigh: I'll let you know when she emails us the class handout haha

I'm doing the fenzi precision heeling class right now and she suggests using send outs like that to work on your dog returning and finding heel position with a lot of energy, so maybe something like that? I need to pick up a cone or something and work on it, right now we're doing pivots and platforms.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It just started but I like it fine so far. I'm just doing the bronze level and considering how much I would have to pay in gas to drive anywhere to get decent instruction think its a great value. I haven't really felt the need for a spot where I got feedback at this point. I love their nosework classes too and can't wait for nosework 3 to be taught again. Their method made so much more sense to me than other ones I've seen.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Triangulum posted:

I really wanted to take nosework, it looks so fun! But it fucks with Schutzhund tracking so we have to hold off for a while :( Though it's not like he needs another class on top of the five a week he's currently doing lol.

Post about it more so I can live vicariously through you, TIA

E: ALL, that's exactly what it is. My trainer calls it fly too. I have instructions for building cheap platforms I can send you if you want. It's super easy and costs about $10 for 2-3

I'll have to take some video next time I do some hides and dig up the sports thread or make a scentwork one. Maj is really getting good at it and he completely passes out afterwards. I just need to find some locations to have him search away from home and then I think he could go for his ORT or pretrial test.

Can I get the platform instructions? Most of what I've seen are for much smaller dogs than mine. My email is redacted. Thanks!

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fantastic, thanks! Dog is going to have straight fronts even if I'm the only one to ever see them!

There's a gold level person in my class with a Malinois thats only a year old and looks as big or bigger than Major (who is 80 lb and 28" at the shoulder). It's nuts! In my mind a mal shouldn't be tall enough to snap you in the face without jumping. He has super cute floppy ears though :3:

• Locked thread