Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Shadow is a very majestic GSD (mutty mutt mutt). :shepface:

Legit content: here is a black long-haired GSD I've met at the park a couple of times, named Nona. She's sweet but a touch shy. It's too bad her owner's a loving moron.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

a life less posted:

However, one of my favourite dogs to see run is a GSD out of Czech working/sport lines. She's wonderfully put together, petite and INSANE when she's working. If she has a job to do she's going to put her all into it, and then some. She's just off the charts with that lovely drive the breed is known for, and she's put together in a sensible, attractive, functional way.

Are there any videos of this dog? She sounds awesome.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm willing to bet all of those things are a factor. Poor breeding, stupid training (and probably lovely socialization to boot), and not exercised properly. Wouldn't surprise me.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Aslan is far too adorable and I would much like to rub dem ears. :3: This is not helping my puppy fever.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I think Warbadger is trying to say GSDs aren't automatically born with that guarding instinct fine-tuned with a command attached to it, which is kind of a "no loving duh" sort of thing.

I think, I can't loving tell what he's trying to say.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
This might belong in the mutt thread, but it's GSD related so I'll put it here.

I was curious what you guys think of my friend's dog, Maddie. She thinks she's pure GSD. Many other people think she's a mix. I honestly can't decide. She is VERY sleek and narrow for a GSD (even now that she's put on a little bit of weight since these pictures), so people always ask if she's a greyhound mix.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I knew white GSDs were a thing, just didn't know they could vary in size so much (but it makes sense since they're obvs not bred for show).

I don't know her temperament that well, the times I've met her she seems like a pretty chill girl, if a touch on the neurotic side. She does have megaesophagus though, so she has to eat in a Bailey chair. It's REALLY tricky because she has some reactivity issues but she can't really work on it using treats because of the megaesophagus. :/ Not unless she wants to hold her upright for a bit after every few treats.

Those pictures are old and she's still very gangly, but has enough weight on her now that you can't see her ribs.

Kemper was very handsome (and I've always loved the name Kemper for some reason).

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Triangulum posted:

On the other, at this point breeding them indicates ignoring the standard and breeding for coat color, which I don't agree with.

This is why I personally don't agree with it. This and "panda" shepherds. Ugh.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Please ship Alice and Shelby to me asap, tia :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I cannot fathom people who look at that and think, "Yes, that is a structurally sound, good-looking dog." I just can't.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm personally really interested in how dogs who are clicker trained do at Schutzhund compared to ones trained the traditional ways, so I love that sorta stuff.

Although looking at the website I see they're fans of prong and shock collars, so I get the feeling the clicker training doesn't play a huge role.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I was going to take a nosework class with Shadow that started today, but ultimately I couldn't afford it, even with my employee discount. :( Oh well, in the meantime I enjoy hearing about everyone else's nosework stories.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Good job, Vecna. :3: Glad the move went well.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Triangulum posted:

Man I don't know what to do about Schutzhund. Right now I'm holding off on joining a club until Vecna finishes his private classes because I want him to learn how to relax and self soothe before we get serious about doing sports. But we have gone and checked out most of the local clubs and I am having a hard time figuring out which to join. One club is really close to me (we could walk if we wanted) and is all +R based but less focused on teaching new handlers and seems really cliquey. The club director also completely ignored me and directed all questions towards my husband, which pissed me off. The other club uses corrections but owns their own tracking field, is heavily teaching focused, runs the SV breed survey here, and seems a lot more serious but is over an hour away.

There seems to be a lot of drama between all the clubs too :sigh:

But if you go with the latter club, will you use the corrections? That is something I would personally not be willing to do to my dog, especially if he has issues self-soothing and I have to drive a loving hour to do it.

I know there's still some debate on whether using +R in Sch gets you the same intensity and focus from the dog as corrections do, but meh.
[/quote]

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Well for what it's worth I wouldn't have chosen them either based on that; it's pretty dickish. Maybe see if you can do the hour-away club and try it without the corrections. I dunno. Agility would also be cool.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Oh MoMo. :3: I actually had a dream the other night that I owned Maggie and MoMo, and I distinctly remember not being able to use the bathroom without them barging (or attempting to barge) in to keep me company.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
You mean Malinois...? :cheeky:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I love big dogs, and I love GSDs. But I am tired of people breeding dogs primarily for appearance. If they're health testing and aiming for sound confirmation and temperament, then cool, definitely a million times better than a show frogdog. But I'm still tired of the "BIGGER IS BETTER!" mentality.

Also I'm a complete hypocrite because I would be a filthy lying whore if I said looks weren't going to be an important factor in choosing my next dog. :downs: I want a gorgeous dog so sue me. But if I were to come across an ugly dog that had everything else I wanted, then so be it.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Just make absolutely sure they have healthy hips. I knew someone with an oversized GSD (he was something like 100lbs), but he had an AWFUL rear. He looked so wobbly and unstable. Strict health and temperament testing are a must, especially if you're going for something like that.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
To those of you doing SAR, how much of a pain in the rear end is it to get into and how much would I hate myself for doing so? It'll be quite a while before I get another dog, let alone get into anything seriously. But SAR has always piqued my interest. I've heard it's a massive time sink and a ton of work/stress, though. In the future I'm looking to either get a rescue GSD or a Groen (it's all still up in the air, I might just wind up with a border collie, hurr). I'm also curious about trying agility, and perhaps some plain old nosework.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Those eyebrows. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Do it do it do it and post ALL the updates/pictures.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Roughly 6-12 weeks is a pretty critical window for socialization. After that it can be harder to get her comfortable with new experiences. If you're not already, make sure experiences with whatever she's fearful of (or anything new) is very positive. Bring tons of high-value treats or a tug toy or ball if she's more into those. Never push her out of her comfort zone. She needs to feel secure and trust that she's never going to be forced into something she doesn't want, and that you will get her out of a scary situation if needed.

I'm personally not comfortable with young puppies at dog parks. All it may take is one negative experience with an rear end in a top hat dog for your puppy to learn to hate other dogs. I've also seen puppies in the daycares I've worked in pick up bad habits or develop "shorter tempers," if you will - they learn that other rude dogs aren't very good at taking a hint to leave them alone and they learn they need to lash out more aggressively to get the other dog to gently caress off. They learn the more polite signals don't work anymore and then you've got a dog who snaps more easily. Obviously I'm not saying "your dog is 100% guaranteed to be ruined by dog parks" but is much riskier than say, a play date with a friend's dog you know gets along with yours.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Just want to chime in and agree getting littermates is not the best idea. Not only are they less likely to bond with you, one or both may become really dependent on the other and not do well when separated. They can become really insecure and lack confidence when they're without the other.

House-training one puppy is a sleep-depriving pain in the rear end on its own, I couldn't imagine doing two at the same time. Not to mention all the other stuff like socialization (critical window for that is roughly 6-12 weeks), manners and basic training, etc. Plus double the cost for food/toys/veterinary stuff. Raising two puppies successfully involves doing everything separately with them, which of course means it takes twice as much of your time. Exhausting.

Sorry, I have no input for good breeders in your area. :/ But we can certainly help you look or at least let you know what to look for in a breeder. The only one I really know is Wildhaus up in Michigan. I haven't been looking into it much since chances are I'll just end up going for a rescue GSD.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
She's awful cute. :3: Also my border collie was VERY intrigued by the ocarina noises.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Mo and Maggie. :kimchi:

WolfensteinBag posted:

I still maintain that dog has too much slope, though. :colbert:

Agreed. :colbert: Otherwise he's very handsome.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
GONNA LIVE SO GODDAMN loving VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOU.

Just fyi. :allears:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Aren't fur savers supposed to be a sort of "graduated from training" type collar? I never understood why they were the same design of a choke chain if the dog no longer needed a choke chain.

Also, 7.5 :buddy:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I knew they were supposedly less pinchy with fur, but didn't know they were the only collar allowed for trialing. Interesting!

SO WHEN ARE YOU GETTING YOUR PUPPY? :allears:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
^ Please do that. Also make sure to get a boy puppy. :iamafag:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
:swoon: Puppy feeeeeverrrrr...

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I have never been so excited for another PIer to get a puppy. :neckbeard:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Daisy Chain Saw posted:

11 weeks old vs now (8 months):

HA! I saw and commented on this picture on Reddit. :3:

Also, paging Fraction, because I find it hilarious there's a GSD in PI named Kali. :iamafag:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

ilu~ <3

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Not really, unless you'd just like to see how your dog looks conformation-wise for funsies. He's handsome. What kind of issues does he have?

Edit: vvv Well that's basically what I meant. :mad:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 23, 2014

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Dust Radio posted:

Fear aggression. Also, now that he sniffed another dog who promptly bit him on the nose and drew blood, fear of other dogs. :(

Here's his squirrel madness.

Is your trainer recommending the prong collar for that, or was that your choice? Either way, I'd check out the training megathread. Tons of great info in there.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Experienced means next to nothing. There are trainers out there that have decades of experience using outdated, unnecessary methods that carry the risk of worsening issues (especially aggression). Dog training is not a regulated field. There are no requirements or education needed to become one. Certifications are nice, but you have to know which ones to look for (some are worthless).

The problem with prong collars and other correction-based tools/techniques is they typically just suppress the behavior as opposed to addressing the underlying cause. Once the "problem" behavior is suppressed people think, "wow this works!" because they don't know how to read body language and tell their dog is actually still stressed or even shut down. They've just learned they get punished for reacting, so the behavior goes away, but not the feeling. You're only really solving your problem with the behavior, not resolving the dog's problem and changing his feelings toward the trigger.

I know prongs can be effective and some dogs do fine on them. But like Wolfenstein said, that's mostly for high drive obedience/sports (and even then they're often unnecessary). Using it for aggression is REALLY risky and definitely not the best tool for the job. I would look into some stuff on counter-conditioning and desensitization. Maybe check out BAT too.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Out of curiosity then, I'd like to know the rest of the training plan your trainer has you use. How exactly does your dog's fear aggression manifest (how does he react to other dogs, does he need a lot of distance, etc.)? How precisely is the prong used? What are you instructed to do when your dog sees another dog and reacts? When he doesn't react? Legitimately curious since I've assisted many trainers, but never one that uses prongs.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Could just be she's a poo poo trainer and/or got a dog from a poo poo breeder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I've been using a Furminator on Shadow for a long time and it seems to work way better than my undercoat rake at getting the undercoat out. How does it damage the top coat? AM I DOING IT WRONG? :saddowns: What would you guys recommend instead? He has basically a normal GSD coat, but soft, not nearly as coarse as some GSDs.

edit: btw, please send Greta to me. :3:

• Locked thread