Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

spd12 posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping this will eventually be a thing where the fact this isn't a game (...in-universe) will catch up to Chiaki when she keeps trying to approach situations like those she's encountered in a game and not in real life. Could make for some pretty interesting developments if she ends up being one of the long runners of the cast.

Speaking of which, if I'm not misremembering, Fedule mentioned she had a speaking quirk? I wonder if she's internally going through some responses in her head when prompted to speak like it's some sort of visual novel, given the pauses, with very specific tones making up her remarks.

I think he did mention that, after her introduction if I'm not mistaken, and honestly, I think she probably does that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
On the DR1 English backwards Leon spelling, the explanation I heard that seems to make the most sense is that while anybody who's been through Japan's educational system can read English, it's perhaps not as automatically obvious as it is to someone who expects words to be written in English all the time (like Americans), especially when it's written backwards. So it was supposed to be figured out with not too much difficulty, but it probably wasn't to the same "are you making GBS threads me?" level of seemingly dumb that it was to English speakers.

(Also an interesting tidbit/hint one of my friends pointed out on something the thread apparently missed in that trial - in one of Maizono's mandatory free time events she apparently talks about how a mnemonic trick she had for her learning people's names is by tracing them in English in the palm of her hand with her other hand. Which also helps explain why she decided to and was able to write Leon's name in English on the wall behind her - she had practice!)

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 26, 2013

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Rawkking posted:

(Also an interesting tidbit/hint one of my friends pointed out on something the thread missed in that trial - in one of Maizono's mandatory free time events she apparently talks about how a mnemonic trick she had for her learning people's names is by tracing them in English in the palm of her hand with her other hand. Which also helps explain why she decided to and was able to write Leon's name in English on the wall behind her - she had practice!)

That was Aoi Asahina who drew it on her hand. She also asked "how do you spell that" and he said "like it sounds" because he does not have a tricky spelling at all but she acted as if he did.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah you're right, I just looked through the early DR1 updates and couldn't find an instance of Maizono doing that. Welp.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Rawkking posted:

On the DR1 English backwards Leon spelling, the explanation I heard that seems to make the most sense is that while anybody who's been through Japan's educational system can read English, it's perhaps not as automatically obvious as it is to someone who expects words to be written in English all the time (like Americans), especially when it's written backwards. So it was supposed to be figured out with not too much difficulty, but it probably wasn't to the same "are you making GBS threads me?" level of seemingly dumb that it was to English speakers.

We've been through this a million times; No, it's as obvious to the Japanese people as it is to us. The first game was simply not good at writing mysteries.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

We've been through this a million times; No, it's as obvious to the Japanese people as it is to us. The first game was simply not good at writing mysteries.
What are you talking about? That was a hilariously well-written not-mystery in a mystery game.

The problem was assuming that the first trial was anything more than introduction to the gameplay/trial/setting/characters.

Thinking about it now, it's actually better. You can focus more on how's and why's while soaking up the atmosphere if you're not seriously working on a puzzle.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No, you guys, Dangan Ronpa is completely flawless and can do no wrong. It's not lovely writing, it's subverting your expectations. :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I thought Chapter 2 was a pretty good mystery. :(

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Joenen posted:

I can't help but feel you didn't think my post over, and as someone mentioned there's a stab wound right in his, well, what could be his neck. Depends on how much of it his Fat is or isn't obscuring.

Attacking Togami under the floor is incredibly reckless, even with night vision goggles, unless the culprit was planning on stabbing him through the carpet too. Unless I'm horribly misinformed and that Nightvision goggles an indeed see through these things.

(EDIT: I thought I had mentioned this during my last post...guess not)

Let's not forget that someone astutely noticed how one of Togami's lock boxes has been left open, so not only was togami specifically targeted, the culprit must have been able to get out from under the floor and frisk him for his own key to his lock box with the key to the other lockbox.

So the whole point of attacking from the floor seems really moot to me. Now Escaping into the floor on the other hand isn't too bad an idea. It'd prove as a means to get in and out of the otherwise locked bathroom, as well as getting to the circuit breakers, assuming Pekoyama isn't the culprit or has a valid reason to not be guarding the box that the culprit was aware of and could exploit.

Unless perhaps I'm misremembering and the person who saw an open lockbox was mistaken.

Ah, almost forgot. We have an SHSL Bloodhound it seems. perhaps she'll help us in finding the culprit?

The open lockbox appears to be the one Togami had with him. Which means that he may have opened it himself, especially if that's where the night vision goggles came from.

If this was a trap deliberately set for Togami, perhaps by someone who saw him pick up the goggles, then using a glow-in-the-dark knife to draw him under a specific table which does NOT have carpet under it renders stabbing him to death relatively simple. Look at the death picture and you'll see that there's not much space under the table not occupied by the target. I'd expect someone unable to see clearly to make lots of quick stabs to make certain of killing him.

As for blood splatter, stabbing up at a 45 degree angle would minimize it. (As an alternative, stab him from behind through the tablecloth... but given what we can see of the blood spatter, that seems less likely.)

I wonder if the bathroom being occupied will be a critical point in that the killer couldn't have washed up after?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

Crossdressing mysteries are never good mysteries unless you are Ace Ventura.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

I bet the bathroom was never locked at all, there's a just a trick to opening it that only Nagito knows about.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Wasn't there more than one pair of night vision googles in the store? The killer could have taken one from there, so there could have been two people who could see in the room.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Waffleman_ posted:

No, you guys, Dangan Ronpa is completely flawless and can do no wrong. It's not lovely writing, it's subverting your expectations. :colbert:
Flawless.

The important thing to take away is that it's an uphill battle to call Case 1 a mystery story. People who read more mystery stories than I can criticize other parts of the game, but Case 1 just tells you the answer. Why would a story about mysteries tell you the answer to the mystery? Because it wants you to focus on other things.

That said, talking about this reminded me of Case 3 from the game, so Curtiss is probably onto something here.

Narsham posted:

I wonder if the bathroom being occupied will be a critical point in that the killer couldn't have washed up after?
If I just murdered a dude, I would not wash up in the bathroom next door. This sounds like the worst idea. Like leaving your name written in blood on the wall.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 27, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Not really, Togami's entire motivation for moving the crime scene and switching everything around was "Because he's a dick."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

And I believe that was established pretty well beforehand, making it a good mystery :colbert:.

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami
The mystery was never really the important part of the game to me, to be honest. I was always much more interested in the character development.

I mean, granted, part of that is because I'm poo poo at figuring out mysteries. But honestly, the compelling part to me was the motivation for the murders and how the survivors reacted to them.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Oh come on, chapter two was great - not particularly for the mystery element, but it fleshed out like half of the cast as complex characters and set the perfect atmosphere for the rest of the game of "Everyone's got something interesting going on under the surface and anything can happen."

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ikoroshia

Investigation Start! But, before we begin, I have some sad news. Togami isn’t the only one who died recently in the game. That’s right --

RIP Chibimi. Cause of death: severe lack of attention, Culprit: me. Luckily, we can press the triangle button to get another chance! Yay trivializing pet death!

Left alone to die in despair in piles of its own accumulated filth. Kinda puts being stabbed eight times in perspective, doesn’t it?

Here we go. Um, I guess I’d better clean the place up, too.

There. We’ll do better next time, I promise!

And now, time to really start the investigation. Let's begin with the place one usually begins when investigating a murder.

Under this table... Togami is...

I...I think I'll check on top of the table first.

...Um... But... The only significant thing on top of this table is...

...This tabletop lamp.

It looks like an antique, and feels somewhat heavy...
Its power cord is attached to an outlet in the wall, so it wouldn’t have been much help during the blackout.

It doesn’t look like anything else here is important... so...

This... is not a time I can afford to look away...
...I have no choice!

Steeling myself, I looked under the table.

Re: All All Apologies

At once, an indescribable smell -- like rotten metal -- assaulted my nose.

Just looking at Togami’s dead body caused a tingling pain somewhere behind my eyes.
"Super High-school Level" Byakuya Togami... He may have had an arrogant, holier-than-thou manner, but...

All the same, as our leader, he did his best to pull all of us together.

Why... did this happen...?

I should do everything I can right now... for his sake.

...Everything I can.
I will find out the truth behind your death!

Ikoroshia

There are several interesting things under the table, but we'll start with the largest.

Under the table... Togami's body was lying face down.
He looks as if he was just in the middle of doing something, but...

According to the Monobear File, he was stabbed repeatedly between his stomach and his throat.

Stabbed again and again...
Did... Did one of us really do such a thing?

Evidence Bullet Updated posted:

Monobear File 1

The victim's body was discovered at the main hall of Hotel Mirai's old lodge.
The time of death was around 11:30PM.
The death was caused by stabbing with a sharp object. The victim was stabbed multiple times in the area between the abdomen and the throat.
There are no other wounds on the body, nor any traces of poison or other drugs.
Togami's body is lying face down, his hand reaching forward.

...Hm? What's this?

They look like... binoculars...?

Why are there binoculars under the table?

Hinata-kun... those aren't binoculars.
Eh? So... what are they?

I'm pretty sure... they're night-vision goggles.
N...Night-vision goggles?
I saw them at the supermarket when we were there earlier. They had a whole stand of military and survival stuff...

In that case...

Did the culprit use night-vision goggles to stab Togami during the blackout?

Evidence Bullet Get posted:

Night-vision goggles

Found under the table next to the body. It seems they came from the supermarket.

This blood-stained knife... Is this the murder weapon?

...And... Hey, wait a minute...

How did a murder weapon even get into the hall?
I mean... Togami was very thorough in his body checks, and even went to check around the lodge...

Every dangerous item should have been inside that duralumin case.

Maybe... someone could have swiped it from the case.
Or maybe... it was hidden somewhere and Togami didn’t see it.

There's one more interesting thing about this knife...

There’s some kind of paint all over the handle.
When I look at it under the table, where the light is dim, it seems to be faintly luminous...

...Could this be glow-in-the-dark paint?

Knife

A blood-stained knife found under the table, next to the body. Something that looks like glow-in-the-dark paint is stuck to it.

The blood flowing out of Togami's body is making a large pool under the table.

That's a lot of blood... There are stains all over the tablecloth across from me...
...And also on the part I lifted up when I found the body. It’s everywhere...

There must have been... quite a lot of blood splattered all around from the force of the stabs.

But... there aren’t any traces of a trail of blood anywhere.

Blood around the table

There is a pool of blood under the table, and the underside of the tablecloth was violently stained as well. There are no traces of a trail of blood.

Hm? There is something stuck to the underside of the table here...

Is this... packing tape?

It looks like... there’s paint all over it, too.
When I look at it under the table, where the light is dim, it seems to be faintly luminous...

...Is this glow-in-the-dark paint?

Um... I think I've investigated all I can under the table.

I guess I did pretty well... all things considered...

I'm probably a little closer now to understanding the truth behind Togami's death.

Let's see what the students who are still hanging out in the hall are thinking.

Uuu... why must we investigate a friend’s death? T...This is horrible...

B...But! I’m the only one here who's a medical worker!

S...So... I have to do something...! S...S...Something...
How about calming down a little first?

You're right... I...I have to calm down.
I mean... I am prone to accidents even when I'm not panicking...
Yeah... I can tell by the way you keep falling down.

T...That was a truly disgraceful pose I found myself in, wasn’t it...

Nooooooo! I...I just remembered it again!

T...That embarrassing pose... i...in front of everybody...!
Embarrassing or not... how did you even end up like that?
S...Somehow... I was distracted by the blackout and my foot got caught in the edge of the carpet... And I tried to get loose and...

Wahh... it is embarrassing after all...!
Please... erase it from your memory!
Um... unfortunately, it's not that easy to forget...
...I'm sorry.

Sniff... I can't take it...!

Embarrassing pose

Tsumiki fell down during the blackout at the party. By the time the lights came back on, she’d gotten into a very embarrassing pose.

Hey, Hinata-kun. There's something I want to confirm with you...
Togami-kun... was here with us at the main hall until the lights went out, right?
...Yeah, I am sure of that.

And since we found his body after the lights came back on...
...That means he has to have died during the blackout, right?
Yeah, I guess you're right...

But... Why did we find Togami-kun's body under that table?
If the culprit wanted to hide the body, it wasn't a very effective hiding place...
...I don't get it at all.
Yeah...
It seems... that figuring out what happened during the blackout would be a huge step toward solving this mystery.
But there's no way we can do that, is there? It was completely dark back then. No one could see anything.

You're right. Seeing was impossible. But maybe there's someone who could hear what happened?

...Hear?

I... think I know who he has in mind.

Koizumi... are you alright?
Alright? Sure...

...Of course I'm not alright! This is madness!

I mean... we were just talking to that guy... and now he's...
...How could this ever be "alright"?

And that's not all! One of us killed him, right?!
We... still don't know that for sure...
...Yes, we do! I'm sure you've figured that much out by yourself already!

And now... we have to find out who the culprit is.... We have to accuse one of our friends of killing another friend...
I don't like it myself... but if we don't, we're done for.
This isn't every man for himself! We have to do it for everyone's sake!

If I had just acted a little more calmly during the blackout, Togami would probably not be dead now.

And we wouldn't be doing this right now...
Come on... You can’t blame yourself for this...

Ah, I've had it!!
This isn't like me at all, being consoled by a man like this!

Hey, Hinata. This conversation never happened. Got it?!
Uh... Sure...

Anyway... I'll try and stop thinking about it too much. I don't want to be a hindrance to everyone.
And... there's one thing I have on me that might be helpful...
...You have something helpful?

Photos. Do you remember? I took some right before the blackout happened.

Hey, Togami! Everyone! I'm taking another picture!
Say cheeeeeeese...!

* click *

I see... You have the photos from back then...
Do you want to see them? This is a digital camera, so we can look at them straight away.
Yeah, let's see them!

Um... there's this photo and...

This one, as well.
I took both right before the blackout, but...
Huh...?
...Is something wrong?
I just noticed. Take a look at where Togami was standing before the blackout...
He's quite a distance from that table we found him under, isn't he?

I mean, that table is that one with the lamp on it, right under the monitor, right?

Well, Togami’s standing clear on the opposite side of the room!
You're right... That's pretty far away...

Something isn’t right here...

Perhaps... we should figure out exactly where everyone was standing before the blackout.

Hey, can we tell exactly where everyone was standing from these pictures?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
It's a little difficult to tell just by looking at them, though, but we should be able to figure it out if we’re careful...

But... would that really be helpful?
I still don't know for sure... but it couldn't hurt.

Got it... so, leave that to me. I think this is a job only I can handle.

Yeah, that would be great.
Right, in that case...

You've got work to do too, don't you?! How long do you plan to stand here being useless?!

I fully expect you to bring to light the reason Togami was killed. Understand?
Y...Yeah, I understand...

For better or worse, she’s back.

O, Devildog Earring... answer my calls!

Argh! Will nothing work...?!
Um, are you... still looking for that earring you dropped?

It is no ordinary earring... It is "The Devildog Earring"!

Once, in a distant land, there lived a savage beast that couldn't be tamed -- even by his so-called “master”. They called him "The Devildog"...

I regret asking.

The Devildog wandered from one battlefield to the next, his fangs forever slimy with hot blood...
His fur, stained red, drying in the wind... he wandered the earth alone for eternity...
And on the day I finally domesticated the Devildog, I was given an earring as a keepsake...

That is the legend of the Devildog Earring.
I carry it always... so I shall never forget the day I fought that fearsome pomeranian...

A fearsome... pomeranian. Right.

I get that it's important to you, but... what about Togami’s murder?

Where is it?! Answer me! Where did it disappear to?!
Maybe... it fell under the floor?

The carpet doesn't extend to the corners of the hall, so it's possible it fell through the gaps in the floor...

Muhahaha! So, that is what happened! A fine observation...!

Tanaka laughed loudly, and walked to the corner of the room. There, he crouched down and pushed his face toward a gap in the floor.

Then... a concentrated expression appeared on his face.

I...It's there...
It's there! My Devildog Earring!!

Fuha! Fuhahaha! God favors Gundam Tanaka alone!
That's great.

...But, how do I get it out of there?
My hand will not fit through this gap, and it seems no tool can reach far enough in...
I guess you have to give it up, then?

...Give up on the world?
The earring.

Bah! Do you not know?!
Should this earring ever be lost to mankind, this world will end in an instant...!
You humans... forever satisfied with your fabricated wisdom!

These falsehoods will not protect you when the cold comes, ignorant one.

Why... is he mad at me?

Feh. I was naive to think I could depend on you... So be it. I shall see to this matter personally.
The wellbeing of this world... falls once again into my hands.

I guess he really wants that earring back. That's some determination he has, though...

...I wish he'd use it to help with the investigation.

Gaps in the floor

The main hall's floor is full of gaps. Tanaka dropped his earring through one of them.

There are still some things of interest in this room.

An air conditioner and its remote control...

...Hm? An air conditioner?

That's right, maybe, back then...

For heaven's sake, can't you all act a little more responsibly...?

* Beep-beep! *

...Hm? What was that sound just now?

* ka-chack! *

The only machine in this hall is this air conditioner...

And... huh? This remote control...

Its timer is set to 11:30.
That's about the same time Togami was killed.
In that case...

That mechanical beep back then must have been this air conditioner turning on!

I guess I have my moments of inspiration.

Air Conditioner Timer

The air conditioner in the main hall was set to turn on automatically at 11:30.

Ah, that's... the duralumin case Togami was carrying.

It seems it's been opened at some point...

There's a nightstick inside... and a can of tear gas... and some other unsettling items.

...Hm? What is this?
It's a hard plastic case... but it's empty.

What was inside...? That would be interesting to know.

But, there's one more interesting thing in here.

This key... It must be the key to the other duralumin case.
The one with all the dangerous items in it. The one in the office...

If the key’s still here, inside this case, then...
It stands to reason that the other case hasn’t been opened...

In other words... The weapons inside that other case have nothing to do with Togami's murder...

But... I feel like I understand even less now.

Why did Togami have this case with him?

It’s packed full of defense items...
But these... aren’t exactly the kinds of things you keep around “just in case”.

Maybe... he knew something was up?
And... he was so cautious he had to keep these things with him?

Duralumin case

A case carried by Byakuya Togami. It's packed with defense items, as well as a hard plastic case of unknown origin. It also contains the key to the case holding the dangerous items.

Well, then. Is there anywhere left for me to investigate here?

Ah, Hinata-kun... Do you have a second?
...Hm? What is it?

If you're done investigating the hall for now, how about we go talk to the others together?
See, if I go talk to them alone, there might be some who would be on their guard and won't talk to me...

Well... We've just been told the culprit is one of us, so it's natural people will be on their guard...

But, why me?

Hmmm... why indeed? You're easy to talk to, Hinata-kun. And... I feel you're a little like me.
We both have special feelings toward Hope's Peak Academy... don't we?
Well, I guess...
...Sure. But if we're going together, let's do it quickly. We don’t have time for chatter.

...That's a relief. You're a lifesaver.

Special feelings, huh...

I really don't think me and him are anything alike, though...

orenronen fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 27, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Poor Nidai, geez.

Nothing too interesting this time aside from the duralumin case contents and the timer, though I like Koizumi this update. I guess how Tsumiki tripped will also end up being important at some point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

Embarrassing pose

Tsumiki fell down during the blackout at the party. By the time the lights came back on, she’d gotten into a very embarrassing pose.

Alright, how the gently caress can this be relevant?

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Judging from the photos Koizumi took, I'm assuming that -- based on Togami's position -- he could've spotted the culprit fussing under the table from across the room and ran under it to stop them, right? If the culprit planned the blackout, they might have had the goggles with them and dropped them in the struggle, and Togami didn't anticipate dying while trying to grab them back.

Also of course the earring would be a red herring :v:

edit;

Waffleman_ posted:

Alibi for where everyone was during the blackout, I'm assuming? Mikan can't do a lot while inexplicably tied up like she is.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

What's that behind Nidai? Is it... a tail?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, she probably did it intentionally to be a distraction.

tsundair
Nov 4, 2012
Tear gas and a nightstick? Even a taser? Hoo boy, Togami. You've got some explaining to do.

...If you weren't dead, that is.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some random thoughts:

- Mikan's embarrassing pose is an evidence bullet? Really, game?

- Based on the photos, Nagito seems to be closest to the table with the knife under it. Also, Hanamura is the only person not in either photo.

- Looks like the night-vision goggles were in fact Togami's. (Also, a tear gas canister? What the hell was Togami expecting?)

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I think it is going to come out that Togami had planned the black out to murder somebody, but had the tables turned on him at the last minute. Just like the first game's first case.

That said, it seems we really only have three people who could possibly have been in the room prior to the party, with time to hide a weapon and/or plan the black out, and those are Togami, Nagito and the pretty boy gangster. I'm not really convinced the gangster is guilty, so that basically leaves Nagito...

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So they set the timers on all of the air conditioners, the microwave, the hairdryers, etc all to hit the fuse box at exactly the same time? That's a pretty clever way to fabricate a blackout, and would require some fair bit of technical knowledge.

EDIT: I wish I had the cash on hand to buy Rent an avatar/text with Gundam's description of the fearsome pomeranian.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Pomeranian? I guess Missel must have bulked up...

So I guess whoever did it had a bit more time than we realized, since everyone was distracted by Mikan...

It also seems that whoever killed Togami probably had some way to get his attention, considering how far they would have had to move the (very heavy) body quite far while dodging the likely panicking students.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Pretty clear that the air conditioner is the cause of the blackout. Someone must have noticed that the electrical system wasn't up to par and would black out when the AC came online - so they programmed it to come online at a certain time and tried to go for someone then.

Likely suspects given the above: Nagito, Souda.

On top of that, Nagito was standing near the lamp table right before the blackout. Togami must have quickly opened his case and pulled out the nightvision goggles, then looked around. He saw whoever standing near the murder table, went "What are you doing?" and went over there to stop them. Then, "Ow!".

I have a feeling we're going to get a few more pieces of evidence, though... we still need to figure out what happened with the bathroom, where Kuzuryuu is, and to have Gundam go below the floorboards to retrieve his earring and probably find another piece of evidence.

tsundair posted:

Tear gas and a nightstick? Even a taser? Hoo boy, Togami. You've got some explaining to do.

...If you weren't dead, that is.

None of those are lethal unless overapplied. He was fully expecting someone to try to pull a murder, and Togami was prepared to subdue them.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That investigation song is extremely awesome, Gundam was amazing in this update, and yet... god dammit Dangan Ronpa 2! How could that possibly be relevant to the case at hand?!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kytrarewn posted:

So they set the timers on all of the air conditioners, the microwave, the hairdryers, etc all to hit the fuse box at exactly the same time? That's a pretty clever way to fabricate a blackout, and would require some fair bit of technical knowledge.
Ooh, good point. Mechanic Dude just jumped up a few notches on the suspect list.

demonwindmill
Dec 28, 2012
Ahhh the lamp. Gonna take a stab at this and say the lamp was moved to the table Togami was lying under, which would explain the distance. I have no real idea what the floorboards or what Mikan's picture is going to have to do with this case though.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm going to bet that we don't have blood spatter elsewhere because Togami was stabbed through the slats in the floor. If someone could get down there, and if Togami had a reason to be under the table (the taped-up knife?) he could be stabbed in the position he's in. The floor under him isn't carpeted. The knife may not be the murder weapon; there's still a skewer missing.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
There are several clear things happening here:

First off:

That is not a blood pattern consistent with stabbing someone. That's not the murder weapon, as we're probably all thinking. In fact, if anything, it was probably something Togami stashed there himself, seeing as how he's got a whole shitload of defense items hoarded. He probably also wanted an 'offensive' item just in case, in only a place he could access it.

Secondly, it seems as though the game is trying to cast suspicion on Gundam, seeing as how most of our theories (I'll admit I only skim after the first 100 or so posts after an update) involve Togami being stabbed through the floorboards-- Gundam losing his earring down there would potentially place him under the floor.

But that would force Togami to have been laying on his belly under the table when he was killed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Brannock posted:

What's that behind Nidai? Is it... a tail?

I think it's part of his outfit, though it seems to be either the wrong colour, or possibly a clue.

Here's a better look at it, where it's usually white:

Though come to think of it and his recent toilet troubles, it wouldn't surprise me if he always carries around a roll of toilet paper or something.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 27, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ikoroshia is pretty drat snazzy. Still partial to BOX 15, but it's damned good nonetheless.

Now the question becomes: who could have planned the blackout? If anything, this exonerates Peko, as it seems to have been caused by the A/C overloading the circuit. Nagito's still looking suspicious, especially as he's the closest to the table and had the best - perhaps the only - chance to prepare the knife.

Still a lot of missing information, though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You know, I really think Mahiro is my favorite character right now. I'm a fan of the more down to earth types and despite how "wacky" everyone is she seems way more endearing.

So of course she's the murderer and is going to get killed off as soon as possible.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It seems clear that the air conditioner was used to overload the circuit breaker? Which... is another strike against Nagito.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I really don't think Togami stashed the knife. We know now that he had the night vision goggles, and we just confirmed that the knife was attached with glow in the dark tape. These two things were always likely to have been prepared by different people, and now that we know Togami had the goggles prepared, it looks more likely that the knife was prepared by the murderer.

Furthermore (and this is perhaps a bit more shaky) I think this also suggests that it was the murderer who staged the blackout and not Togami. My reasoning for this is that Togami clearly had a number of objects prepared in his case for a number of possible situations. He retrieved the goggles when the lights went out simply in reaction to what had happened. The taped knife on the other hand is a specific preparation for a blackout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

DaveWoo posted:

Ooh, good point. Mechanic Dude just jumped up a few notches on the suspect list.

It could also be the photographer gal (knows how to set timers for flash in her photos) or Chiaki (What avid gamer hasn't lost a winning game to the air conditioner firing up at exactly the wrong time and killing the power). Also Hanamura (There ahead of time, set it and forget it).

Nagito was there ahead of time. Saionji seems like the sort who might orchestrate that sort of thing just to watch Mr. Porkfeet poo poo his pants, but obviously he was prepared for the possibility of a power failure.

• Locked thread