Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indecisive
May 6, 2007

If he was stabbed from below then it is likely that the blood would have all gone directly down, not splattered around on the tablecloth. On the other hand, with that much blood everywhere it's INCREDIBLY unlikely that anyone who was in close quarters under the table would have gotten away clean, so I think anyone who was seen soon after the lights came on is unlikely to be the killer; the distraction of that clumsy nurse may have given them time to clean themselves on the tablecloth though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Indecisive posted:

If he was stabbed from below then it is likely that the blood would have all gone directly down, not splattered around on the tablecloth. On the other hand, with that much blood everywhere it's INCREDIBLY unlikely that anyone who was in close quarters under the table would have gotten away clean, so I think anyone who was seen soon after the lights came on is unlikely to be the killer; the distraction of that clumsy nurse may have given them time to clean themselves on the tablecloth though.

This could explain why there's blood on the side of the tablecloth but not on the carpet around the body, if it was used to try to clean up some more after the killing. It's not very compatible with going under the floorboards though, presumably, unless there's a really quick route under from the kitchen.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Indecisive posted:

If you've ever had a nosebleed or dealt with blood at all, I can't imagine how you'd think someone would be able to get themselves from bloody -> totally clean with a tablecloth. I really doubt anyone who was in the room when the lights came back on stabbed Togami.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

MUTEkI posted:

This could explain why there's blood on the side of the tablecloth but not on the carpet around the body, if it was used to try to clean up some more after the killing. It's not very compatible with going under the floorboards though, presumably, unless there's a really quick route under from the kitchen.

It looks more like blood splashes to be honest.

And the main problem with a second murderer is that the knife murderer can simply reach your hand under the table to get the weapon, which means the theoretical skewer murderer can't even use the lack of light from the glow-in-dark paint as a clue to stab. It would add credence to the theory that Togami planned to play dead under the table (perhaps with Nagito's help) in the first place and the murderer somehow knew it beforehand.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

slowbeef posted:

There absolutely is. Togami's under the table, he looks up at you, on his side. You stab him a bunch, he rolls down face down, dead.

I'm not contending that's what happened.

I am contending if you want to keep the "through the floorboards" theory, you have to eliminate chance. No murder plot involves the black out, the planted knife, and also "maybe someone will get down where I can stab them."

If the murderer didn't plant the knife or plan the blackout, but simply found out about the plan, then the murderer can be pretty drat certain that someone is going to be under the table at around a specific time. The murderer even has a visual cue via the glow in the dark tape. That's not any chancier than any of the murders in the first game.

And really, how else could it have happened? There's not enough blood on the blade for the knife to have been used to stab Togami, plus that would have gotten blood all over the victim, plus there's not really room under the table for a knife stabbing without getting away with some blood on your clothes (because Togami apparently had ridiculous blood pressure: he popped like some sort of blood-filled balloon, given the blood splatter). All of this evidences shows that the knife is definitely not the murder weapon. That leaves the missing skewer as the only remaining weapon, but the skewer was not found anywhere in the room, nor was any other sharp object found in the room. The "through the floorboards" theory is the only explanation that hasn't been ruled out by the evidence. There could be another theory, but I haven't heard it yet.

We also know that only two people had access to the lodge all day: Nagito and Hanamura. But only one person was missing during the blackout: Hanamura.

(okay, there is one alternative: Togami killed himself with the knife during the blackout for some reason. But this has a lot of flaws: he had no reason to kill himself, he had no reason to kill himself in such a weird position and location, and he had no way of arranging the blackout. So I don't believe that Togami killed himself)

Indecisive posted:

Blood stains easily; it doesn't come out by just wiping it with some cloth.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 2, 2013

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Power of Pecota posted:

If you've ever had a nosebleed or dealt with blood at all, I can't imagine how you'd think someone would be able to get themselves from bloody -> totally clean with a tablecloth.

Maybe if we had someone that was a SHSL Janitor, or... well, Mikan could conceivably have 'cleaning up lots of blood instantly with minimal tools' as a SHSL Nurse skill, but fortunately she's the only person with a perfect alibi right now. And arguably she's too incompetent to ever actually kill someone; she'd probably end up tripping over her own feet and impaling herself a dozen times, then fall down a staircase resulting in a gruesome embarassing eroge pose.

MFDelta
Oct 9, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Also, that is a lot of poop for an animal that supposedly starved to death. Where did you get all that poop Chibimi!

The answer to that should be obvious.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

As much as I Hate t osay it, Gundam is a possible culprit as well. Assuming SHSL is more or less equivilant to a kind of Super power as stated somewhere in DR1, its conceivable that Gundam had his hamsters do something to orchestrate the blackout.

Of course, he'd be the one to carry out the actual Murder, and he'd escape under the floorboard, which explains how his earing got caught down there.

Eh, or just just dropped down there from the top. Just wanted to throw something new out there.

At this point I'm really hoping the next update clears up a few things. I really dislike all these chance assumptions people give the culprit.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

slowbeef posted:

I am contending if you want to keep the "through the floorboards" theory, you have to eliminate chance. No murder plot involves the black out, the planted knife, and also "maybe someone will get down where I can stab them."

Okay, how about this for an idea. It's based on a lot of presumption and totally unfounded thoughts right now and will probably be demolished next update but:
The knife belongs to Togami. During the day he went to the supermarket (which sells everything) to buy the night vision goggles and other supplies. These supplies included the knife and luminous paint. He wasn't planning a murder or anything, it was just part of his old paranoia/caution. He sets up the knife with the luminous tape and the goggles so if something unexpected happens (and he did mention the power going out as a possibility I believe) he would have somewhere to duck away quickly. We know he's fast enough to scramble across the room to the table. We know he was there, that was where we spent our free time with him after the party was announced (admittedly even among my wild guesses this is weak since where people were during free time was never relevant in DR1).

Now, someone witnessed him either buying these items or setting up his hidey-hole and for whatever reason decides to take advantage of this.
How did they know a black out would occur? This is another big guess but I think at some point Nagito must have tried to either plug something in (vacuum cleaner) or tried to turn on the air con (perfectly reasonable). This caused the power to go out. The culprit then set the timer to go off at whatever time they wanted, 11:30pm in this case and had everything they needed set up.

How did they get under the floorboards? Well, the toilet was occupied all night by some unknown. This could be the red herring though but does give someone all the time they want to lift some floorboards. There should be evidence of that though so we'll see in future updates, I assume. The kitchen seems to have grating on the floor so that could be possible and would tie in with my growing suspicion of the chef. There's also the outside. Gamer girl or The lil' Yakuza that could could slip under the building quite easily and depending on which if either did it they both had good chances. Gamer Girl falls asleep standing up and Monomi may as well not be there giving Gangster his chance and, again, Monomi is never really going to be able to stop Gamer girl from ducking under should she want to.

Why didn't our mole get covered in dirt? Tarps! If in doubt: Tarps. That's the Dangan Ronpa way. The storage room has some sheets on one of the shelves. It'd be easy enough for our culprit to throw some down as they crawled along and explain away their dirtiness later with the excuse "the old lodge is dirty as hell!" Hell, if you're lucky the other students could probably throw that explanation out there without much prompting.

I know this is all flimsy as hell and reliant on things we don't yet know but I think it shows you can have the floorboard idea while still eliminating (90% of the) chance. For this particular theory the killer would have to know that Togami planned to duck under a table (not hard if they see him buying/setting up the knife, goggles and paint), that the power is faulty (a bit more difficult but possible) and where they could duck under the boards (at least three places).

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Joenen posted:

As much as I Hate t osay it, Gundam is a possible culprit as well. Assuming SHSL is more or less equivilant to a kind of Super power as stated somewhere in DR1, its conceivable that Gundam had his hamsters do something to orchestrate the blackout.

Of course, he'd be the one to carry out the actual Murder, and he'd escape under the floorboard, which explains how his earing got caught down there.

Eh, or just just dropped down there from the top. Just wanted to throw something new out there.

At this point I'm really hoping the next update clears up a few things. I really dislike all these chance assumptions people give the culprit.

I don't think he'd draw so much attention to his missing earring if he was the culprit. It's also pretty hard to imagine how the hamsters would orchestrate the blackout short of chewing through some power cables, and since the power came back on afterwards that's probably not the case.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

They don't even have to know that it's going to be Togami; the murderer just has to know that there is a knife under the table with glow in the dark paint smeared all over it. At that point they know to expect a blackout

However, Togami would have no reason to set up a glow in the dark knife under the table, far from his reach at the time of the blackout; he already kept all of his safety gear in the case next to where he was standing. Why not just keep the knife in that case, too? Besides, he wouldn't have had the opportunity to set up the knife without being noticed while Nagito and Hanamura were in the area all day. Someone else set up the knife: it had to be either Nagito or Hanamura.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

QuarkJets posted:

They don't even have to know that it's going to be Togami; the murderer just has to know that there is a knife under the table with glow in the dark paint smeared all over it. At that point they know to expect a blackout
No arguments here.

quote:

However, Togami would have no reason to set up a glow in the dark knife under the table, far from his reach at the time of the blackout; he already kept all of his safety gear in the case next to where he was standing.
All true as well, though I'd say for the "far from reach" part can be countered with his speed which has been heavily (hurr) established. But yes, it doesn't really make sense right now.

quote:

Why not just keep the knife in that case, too?
This is so much of a stretch I feel kind of dumb saying it but maybe it was so he could stick to the rule of not holding any dangerous items. A really silly honour thing? The glowing tape acts as a reminder/target for him to dive to.

quote:

Besides, he wouldn't have had the opportunity to set up the knife without being noticed while Nagito and Hanamura were in the area all day. Someone else set up the knife: it had to be either Nagito or Hanamura.
This is the crux and while I was reading back to see if Togami had gone to the supermarket I also re-read that Nagito had been there to get the carpet. This either gives Nagito the chance the set up the knife or for someone else to do so while he's out although I have no idea why he, Nagito, would do it. He seems pretty trusting. I guess it could be an act but.... I dunno, I';m just taking stabs in the dark here now.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Popo posted:

I guess it could be an act but.... I dunno, I';m just taking stabs in the dark here now.

Trying to poke some holes here with your killer theory, aren't you? :haw:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Nobody seems to have commented yet on a very interesting detail visible in both these pictures:

Look under the AC unit. The power cord from that "heavy" lamp sitting on the table with the knife taped underneath it just happens to run straight from where Nagito was standing before the power cut out to a murder weapon.

It'd be a way for Nagito to ensure he doesn't get turned around in the dark. Just follow the cord, grab the knife. I'm not sure, yet, what the next step in his original plan would have been, given the present evidence. If you can find the table in the dark, why the glow-in-the-dark paint? Just feel under the table for the knife. And what are you going to do with it in the dark without night vision goggles? Wait until an opportunity comes up later? Either the knife is meant to attract someone else's attention in the dark, or it's meant as a fake-out, or the original murder target wasn't in the ballroom at all. (An unconscious Yakuza locked in the bathroom?) Killing someone you can't see in a dark room by waving around a glow-in-the-dark weapon is a really bad plan.

Even more confounding: if you can't be certain to find the right table in the dark without a power cord to guide you, how the heck would you exit the room after? Unless there's a hidden trapdoor under that carpet and a flashlight hidden under the cabin, I don't see a logical next step given present evidence.

Meanwhile, Togami's at the other side of the room. When the lights go out, he immediately sets down his box, opens it, and grabs the night vision goggles. Under the circumstances, I'd think he'd raise them to his eyes first before securing them, as seconds might matter. And he sees someone on the other side of the room slip underneath a table. He sprints across the room, tripping Mikan on the way as she's directly in his path. If he saw someone crawl under the table, that would explain why he gets under there as well. Otherwise, I'd think going around would be almost as fast, especially if he has night vision and Nagito doesn't.

Why did Togami not grab his nightstick? Either the "fake murder" theory is correct (and that makes almost no sense to me: how do you fool Monobear? Or a trained nurse? Where do you get fake blood from?), or it was too awkward to do so while also holding the goggles and Togami wasn't willing to risk the extra delay given that he needed to cross the entire room to get to that table.

Next problem: if Nagito wasn't under the table with Togami, how could he have stabbed him with the knife? It isn't long enough. If he was under the table, how is he not covered in blood? The only thing that makes sense is that Nagito got back out from under the table. At this point, Togami's stabbed with the skewer, either by some third party who just happens to be under the floorboards (which, as Slowbeef points out, seems like a heck of a coincidence which we'll need more evidence to explain), or by Nagito, who hid the skewer under the table. It's barely possible that if Togami was somehow able to squeeze under and hold himself more upright, Nagito could skewer him through the tablecloth... which I really wish had been checked for holes on the sides we can't see. Then, when the lights come back on, Nagito suggests searching for Togami and volunteers to check the storage room. That seems a likely place to look for the skewer, if that's the real murder weapon. If it's found there, all signs point to Nagito.

If someone was "exploring" under the cabin, seeing the glow-in-the-dark knife under the table is a possibility, although laying in wait with a skewer in the hope that whoever it is crawls beneath the table seems like a long-shot murder plan.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

slowbeef posted:

No it isn't. Maybe it's what you've been saying, but there's a ton of theories out there that all have Togami just happening to crawl under the table for no good reason except "he somehow saw the knife under the table."

I said "we" because I wasn't the only one saying it. Obviously Togami didn't somehow see the knife, he saw someone going under the table and then followed.

There's no chance involved on the killer's part. They saw the knife or more likely someone planting the knife, and then decided to wait under the floor for them to eventually go for the knife. The only thing that happened by chance was Togami ending up as the victim.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

tiistai posted:

There's no chance involved on the killer's part. They saw the knife or more likely someone planting the knife, and then decided to wait under the floor for them to eventually go for the knife. The only thing that happened by chance was Togami ending up as the victim.

Except, someone going fully under the table at all was pure chance. If Nagito did put the knife there, he'd just have to lift the tablecloth, and stick his arm under to grab it. He's kind of a tall guy, so this would be more than doable. If someone was waiting under the floorboards to stab Nagito, they'd get his hand and... then what?

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Looking at the position of the tape, the knife seems to have been planted on the bottom of the tabletop, on the side that would be farther from everyone. Depending on the size the table is, it might have simply been easier to get down on his hands and knees to even see it (reaching for a knife you can't see is kind of dumb), let alone grab it. Sure, he could theoretically just walk around the table, but unless he expected a trap, heading for the knife in anything except for a straight line would seem like a pointless waste of effort, and even then, he'd still need to get down on one knee to grab the knife, precisely because he's tall. The floorboards aren't exactly the most soundproof material, either, so assuming the theoretical killer isn't deaf, the killer could simply hear where exactly Nagito's body is and adjust his position accordingly.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
Our hero.

I have a few questions that I was hoping with someone involved with the thread, translation, or art asset editing might be able to help me out with. Basically, I have been thinking about embroidering the character's names along side them, but would like to maybe do it in both English and in the original Japanese characters. I obviously have the former, but if anyone could provide the latter here I would appreciate it. I don't want to go poking around and end up spoiled in a dumb way.

Also: do 8-bit sprites for Monobear and Monomi exist? I don't remember seeing any in the game yet.

Nefarious Asparagus
Aug 7, 2009

Indubitably, old bean.

a spooky ghost posted:

Our hero.

I have a few questions that I was hoping with someone involved with the thread, translation, or art asset editing might be able to help me out with. Basically, I have been thinking about embroidering the character's names along side them, but would like to maybe do it in both English and in the original Japanese characters. I obviously have the former, but if anyone could provide the latter here I would appreciate it. I don't want to go poking around and end up spoiled in a dumb way.

Also: do 8-bit sprites for Monobear and Monomi exist? I don't remember seeing any in the game yet.

The Wikipedia page seems to be spoiler-free (I read all the character blurbs and didn't see anything questionable beyond bad grammar) and has all the characters' names in kanji.

Edit: Also your embroidery continues to be very cute :v: Thanks for sharing with us.

Nefarious Asparagus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 2, 2013

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

a spooky ghost posted:

Our hero.

Your cross-stitches are neat. Have you figured out what you're going to do with them in the end?

Usami and Monobear both have sprites that show up in the rulebook. I don't think there's a distinct Monomi one, or if there is, I don't think we've seen it in-game.

Here's where we saw a big version of Usami: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522115&pagenumber=29#post410611327
Here's where we saw a big version of Monobear: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522115&pagenumber=84#post411429706

MFDelta posted:

The answer to that should be obvious.

This, meanwhile, is hilarious. :v:

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

a spooky ghost posted:

Our hero.

I'm not sure if you just want Dangan Ronpa 2, or all of them, so forgive me I've got them all. I used Wikipedia so there might be errors. And it's a little small for some of these and hard to see, but you can sort of see them.

苗木 誠 Naegi Makoto, モノクマ Monokuma, 舞園 さやか Maizono Sayaka, 桑田 怜恩 Kuwata Reon (Leon), 霧切 響子 Kirigiri Kyōko, 十神 白夜 Togami Byakuya, 朝日奈 葵 Asahina Aoi, 石丸 清多夏 Ishimaru Kiyotaka, 腐川 冬子 Fukawa Tōko, 大和田 紋土 Ōwada Mondo, 大神 さくら Ōgami Sakura, 山田 一二三 Yamada Hifumi, セレスティア・ルーデンベルク Seresutia Rūdenberuku (Celeste), 葉隠 康比呂 Hagakure Yasuhiro, 江ノ島 盾子 Enoshima Junko, 不二咲 千尋 Fujisaki Chihiro

日向 創 Hinata Hajime, 狛枝 凪斗 Komaeda Nagito, 花村 輝々 Hanamura Teruteru, 小泉 真昼 Koizumi Mahiru, 九頭龍 冬彦 Kuzuryū Fuyuhiko, 澪田 唯吹 Mioda Ibuki, 七海 千秋 Nanami Chiaki, 弐大 猫丸 Nidai Nekomaru, 終里 赤音 Owari Akane, 辺古山 ペコ Pekoyama Peko, 西園寺 日寄子 Saionji Hiyoko, ソニア・ネヴァーマインド Sonia Nevāmaindo, 左右田 和一 Sōda Kazuichi, 田中 眼蛇夢 Tanaka Gandamu, 罪木 蜜柑 Tsumiki Mikan, ウサミ Usami/ モノミ Monomi.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Your cross-stitches are neat. Have you figured out what you're going to do with them in the end?

Thank you! I have a lot of fun doing them. It's not the most creative hobby, since it pretty much amounts to following directions (much like doing Legos or something) but scratches a certain itch for cheap.

As for what I'll do with the set, I was hoping to give it to orenronen or anyone else who help share this game with so many people who might have never knew it existed otherwise. I have no idea if they'd be interested, but I was planning to get in contact once everything is done here. I sort of feel like making stuff is not about keeping it, and giving things away is the best thing you can do with something that you've made. Plus postage, even internationally, wouldn't amount to very much for a box of ~20 little swatches of fabric.

Also, thank you for the link, Nefarious Asparagus!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

Except, someone going fully under the table at all was pure chance. If Nagito did put the knife there, he'd just have to lift the tablecloth, and stick his arm under to grab it. He's kind of a tall guy, so this would be more than doable. If someone was waiting under the floorboards to stab Nagito, they'd get his hand and... then what?

There's too much risk of injury; if you cut yourself while grabbing the knife then the entire plan is a waste, either you have to give up or risk someone noticing the cut on your hand. The glow in the dark paint marks the hilt and the tape, which are both safe to touch, but you have to be able to see it in order to know where to grab.

It's bad knife placement, but it is what it is.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Techincal note regarding the music: the soundtrack album contains two version of Ikoroshia: the one you’ve been hearing and another one, titled Suguikoroshi, which is exactly the same but without the few seconds of introduction. During the investigation, when the game cuts to a different tune and then returns to Ikoroshia, it’s usually that second introductionless track that’s actually playing.

Ikoroshia

For the time being, let's investigate the rest of the lodge and speak to everyone.
I think... we should consider our “crime scene” to be the whole building, and not just the main hall...
I mean, when the lights went out, it affected the entire lodge.
Yeah, you're right.

We'll start with Ibuki, who didn't go very far. She's standing right there near the exit from the main hall.

Every great detective knows you can’t have a proper investigation without lots of legwork!

So Ibuki's using her legs! She's been idly walking up and down this corridor!

And she says it with such conviction...

Hey, Hinata-kun... I've been thinking.
I think she might know something about the situation during the blackout.
Yeah, I thought so too.

Huh?! Why do you think so?!

As expected, you heard us, even though we've been whispering to each other...

Tee-hee! Ibuki not only has looks, style and personality -- her ears are pretty good too!
...That's exactly it.
If your ears really are that good, you must have heard exactly what went on during the power outage.

When the lights were down... there were a lot of people talking.
I couldn't really tell who everyone was... but you probably could, right, Mioda-san?

This is breakfast for Ibuki!
...Huh?

Heh heh heh heh! Ibuki stuffs herself full of strawberry shortcake every morning!

Oh, I see... so it's "a piece of cake"... But, isn't strawberry shortcake a little excessive first thing in the morning?

Any other type of cake would be heretical! If it's cake, it must be strawberry shortcake!

Hmmm... I'd think chocolate cake and cheesecake are pretty popular too...
Anyway... Can you just tell us what you heard? I'm begging you.

At last! Ibuki’s been waiting for something to sink her teeth into!

No problem! If you help us, I’ll let you bite Hinata-kun, too.
Shut up... She might think you're serious.

Leeeeet's see... The first voice Ibuki heard during the blackout was...

Re: DISTRUST

...Right, right. It was Mahiru-chan.

Uwah, the power's out!

And then... next was Kazuichi-chan, and post-next was Ibuki's own voice.

The hell happened?! I can’t see nothing!
I...It's too dark! Everything's too dark!

Kyahaha! Ibuki's comment sure was full of insight! Appropriate and humorous!
...Yeah, sure. Just keep going, please.
The voices after that were... um, they went like this:

C...Calm down, everyone! We have to keep calm at a time like this!
Waaah! Don't step on my feet!
Oy, what are you doing?!
Stop it!!
Ow!
Turn on the lights! It’s hard to eat this way!
Hey, everyone! Where are you? T...This power outage... it isn't just in the kitchen?
Could someone perhaps have flipped the circuit breakers?
W...Wait here! I'll use the walls as a guide and go see if I can’t fix this...!

Ikoroshia

Thank you, thank you. And, we're done!

Tee-hee. Amazing, huh?! How awesome was that!
Yeah, got it. You can let go of my sleeve now.
Hey, Komaeda... Say something to her...!

...Hey, what's wrong?
Huh? Oh, I just noticed something. It's about what Togami-kun said during the blackout...
...Togami?

How come Togami-kun said what he did when everything was dark?
That is... how could he say it?
"What are you doing?!", and then "Stop it!!"...
...What do you mean?

Would you mind if we wait until after we've investigated some more before I tell you what’s on my mind?
Right now... I’m still not certain of anything.
Well, I don't really mind, but...

Anyway, I think your testimony's going to be a very important clue to finding the truth, Mioda-san.

Yes! All hail Ibuki! Time for my prize!
--Ow! She actually bit me!

Evidence Bullet Get posted:

Mioda's Testimony

Mioda described the voices she heard during the power outage:
Koizumi: Uwah, the power's out!
Souda: The hell happened?! I can’t see nothing!
Mioda: I...It's too dark! Everything's too dark!
Koizumi: C...Calm down, everyone! We have to keep calm at a time like this!
Saionji: Waaah! Don't step on my feet!
Togami: Oy, what are you doing?!
Togami: Stop it!!
Komaeda: Ow!
Owari: Turn on the lights! It’s hard to eat this way!
Hanamura: Hey, everyone! Where are you? T...This power outage... it isn't just in the kitchen?
Sonia: Could someone perhaps have flipped the circuit breakers?
Souda: W...Wait here! I'll use the walls as a guide and go see if I can’t fix this...!

Next, we find Sonia in front of the corridor leading farther into the lodge, east of the main hall.

Um... May I ask of you a question?
...Hm? What is it?
Um, you see...

This part of the wall is made of different material and is colored differently from the rest. What does it mean?
Oh. This is a fire door, isn't it?
A... fire door?
...Eh? You've never seen one before?
In case there's a fire, this door can be sealed to stop it from spreading. That gives everyone a chance to escape.

I see! It seals the area! This is just like when you surround a house with plastic bottles!
...Well, that's for cats.

Yes, that's a real thing. A Japanese superstition says stray cats don't like hanging around bottles full of water. You still see private yards surrounded by them in rural areas from time to time.

So she knows how to keep cats away, but she's never seen a fire door.

I am so very ashamed... This is most certainly a case of culture shock.

Fire Door

The old lodge’s corridor is equipped with doors that can be closed to prevent the spread of fire.

We'll go investigate the kitchen next, because, well, it's right here.

Hey, Hanamura... Were you here in the kitchen when the lights went out?
I was quite shocked when that happened...
At first, I thought the power outage was limited to the kitchen, but when I somehow managed to find my way out...
The corridor was completely dark as well!
But, I could hear everyone's voices, so I tried finding my way by clinging to the wall...
And when I did, I saw it was dark in there as well... There was absolutely no light anywhere.
Couldn't you have used the kitchen range to get some light going?

No, that's impossible.
It's a gas range, but it's controlled electronically so it was also affected by the outage.
I see... so there really was nothing you could do.

I thought that since you use fire in the kitchen, maybe there was a source of light here, but I guess there wasn't.

...Things are never that simple.

Hanamura's Testimony

The kitchen range is controlled electronically, and so couldn't be used during the power outage.

Let's see if we can't find anything else in the kitchen we haven't noticed before.

There are all kinds of dishes here, in a staggering variety of cuisines...
...There's even a humongous meat on a bone!

Isn't that amazing? A huge chunk of meat to amaze everyone!

A dish perfect for an island like this. You just can't get this kind of meat in urban Aoyama and Azabu.

Nope! I grew up in Aoyama and Azabu, and there's no such meat there!
You don't have to repeat yourself -- I get it. But... where did you get such a huge chunk of meat?

I had to ask Nidai-kun to get it for me. I think he killed the cow at the farm with his bare hands.
W...With his bare hands...?

That's an unbelievable story... but probably not an impossible one.
I mean, that guy's hands look like they're specially made just to beat on things.

Those are some unpleasant hands...

Sure gives a feeling of wilderness, doesn't it? But, I am sometimes jealous of such rural lifestyles.
After all, I grew up in Aoyama and Azabu, so I... don’t really have much experience of that kind of thing.

It sure is a waste of meat, though. I mean... No one's going to want to eat anything now that such a terrible thing has happened...
The only ones who even got to eat at all are Owari-san and... Pekoyama-san, who took a portion with her.

Bah. Don’t remind me.
After preparing the world's tastiest party food, only two people got to taste it...

I still don't quite believe it, but if one of us really is the culprit...

Grrrah! I will never forgive them for doing this to me!

He's... quite scary when he's mad.

Party Food

Assorted varieties of party food Hanamura worked hard to make. Despite its quality, Owari and Pekoyama were the only two to eat any of it.

The kitchen’s equipment list. Togami confiscated every dangerous item on it.

As far as I can tell from this list...
The knife we found next to Togami-kun's body didn't come from this kitchen.
It seems someone brought it in from outside.
But... if that's the case, how did they get it past Togami?

That is strange... he didn't even spare the girls a full body check...

In that case... perhaps they brought it in beforehand and hid it somewhere...?

Nevetheless... this is a surprisingly complete list, isn't it?
There's even a barbecue griddle and a portable hot-pot stove in this kitchen.
But there isn't a single thing on it that seems like it could be connected to the case. We should move on.

...Yeah, I guess you're right.

Kitchen Equipment List

The knife found at the crime scene isn't listed in the kitchen equipment list. Togami confiscated every item on the list that could be used as a weapon. According to the list, there is also a barbecue griddle and a portable hot pot stove in the kitchen.

Hrm... I think we're done investigating the kitchen for now.

Komaeda... We should get going.

...Yeah, let's go.

Walked 1000 steps

Next, moving farther into the lodge, the storage room.

Wow, it sure is dusty in here... and there's not much light, either.

I was so busy cleaning up the main hall that I just didn't have time to do this room as well...
There are cobwebs everywhere... I don't think anyone could stay here for long.

A few things here we can look at.

There are tablecloths piled on the shelves. They're all clean and look unused.

Doesn't seem to be anything weird about them.

There seems to be a large cloth someone just shoved into this laundry box...

I think... that's one of the tablecloths.
I think you're right...
...Wait, huh?
Take a look at this tablecloth... See what's on it?

That's... blood, isn't it?!

...Eh? Blood?
Come here and look, that's clearly blood!

It's dark in here... I can't really tell.
I...I'm sure that's what it is! It can't be anything else!
And if that's blood... then this tablecloth must be connected to Togami's murder somehow!

If this tablecloth really has blood on it, then that is indeed a possibility.
I'm telling you, it's blood!

Tablecloth in the Storage Room

A tablecloth with blood on it was haphazardly stuffed into the laundry box at the storage room.

That's... a lot of boxes.

We really don't have the time to go through them one by one...
...So let's just ignore them.

Yeah. That would be wise.

Hm? Are those irons?

They don't seem to be plugged in, but why are there even three irons over here?

...That is weird, isn't it?
When we went looking for Togami after the lights came back on, I found those irons here...
...But they were all plugged in and powered on.
...They were powered on?

I thought it would be bad if we had another outage, so I unplugged them. But... doesn't it seem like someone did this deliberately?

Deliberately...?

Irons at the Storage Room

There are three irons in the storage room. When Komaeda found them, they were all plugged in and powered on.

Hey, Hinata-kun... It's no use wasting time in this dark, dirty room.
...Let's go investigate somewhere else.
...Hm?
Oh, yeah... You're right...

We're done with the east side of the lodge, so let's go back through the big area in the middle...

...and see what's up with the toilet.

* rattle rattle *

Huh? It's locked.

It seems someone's inside. It's a unisex toilet so it could be anyone...

Heeeey, is someone in there?!

Komaeda knocked and yelled toward the door, but...

No answer... That's not very considerate, is it?
...Let's give it up for now and come back to investigate later.
Yeah.

The office is right next to the toilet, so we're checking it next.

The circuit breakers for the old lodge should be in this office.
The breakers, huh...? They probably have something to do with the outage.
We should go ahead and check them out first, then.

If he says so...

So, those are the circuit breakers.

The power outage probably happened because they were tripped somehow...

Hmmm... I can't see any signs they were tampered with. There's nothing suspicious about them, really...
Aren't they a little too high, though? I don’t think any of us could reach them without standing up on something...

That's right... And that's not even the end of it...
See, I was in a massive panic during that blackout, so I forgot to bring this up before, but...
Well, it’s like you said. No one can reach the breakers. Even if they stood on something. They’re just too high up.
So... what I mean is... Who flipped the breakers back on? And how’d they do it?

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

I did it!

...Whaaaaa! He's here!

You bastards seemed to be totally unable to handle that blackout, so I flipped the breakers back on for you.

Ah, by the way - it wasn't me who tripped them in the first place. That was the culprit, of course.
B...But... you're too small. How could you even reach the fuse box?
First of all, my eyes have night-vision built in, so seeing in the darkness wasn’t a problem for me.
Then, as for how I could reach so high to flip the breakers on...

I stretch. My entire torso stretches.
I am a very elastic bear, you see.

...T...That's clearly a lie!

It's true! Do you want me to demonstrate?
Do you want to see Monobear's long torso version? It's gross and grotesque!

I... think we'll pass. Just thinking about that is... unpleasant.

Awww, too bad!

Nevertheless, Monobear is a very kind bear! If there was a popularity contest, I'd be the landslide winner!

Ikoroshia

W...What the hell...? He was the one who brought the lights back on...?
W...Well, I guess that's one mystery solved. I knew it wasn’t possible for one of us to reach that high...

But... how did the culprit trip the breakers in the first place?

If they didn't do it manually, and didn't install a mechanism to do it for them, then...

Time to get some more testimonies.

I know what you are thinking. I am under heavy suspicion, am I not?
Eh?

It is unavoidable...
There was an unexpected power outage, during which Togami was murdered.

Furthermore, the circuit breakers are here... and I was supposed to be here as well. It is only natural suspicion would turn to me.

You were “supposed to”...? Does that mean...?

That's right! You weren't here! I was looking for you!
...Where were you?
You were supposed to be guarding the breakers and the weapon case, right?

And yet... you decided to just go who knows where without telling anyone...?

About that...

...Uu!!
Gah... Kkkk...!

Pekoyama suddenly started grunting, and dropped down to one knee.

...Is... something wrong?
N...No... I am not... feeling too well... I'm sorry, but... Please excuse me...

"Excuse you"...? The hell?

Pekoyama-san, it seems someone's using the one here in the lodge...
I recommend heading straight to the hotel or to your cottage.
...Eh?

Ku... It appears I have... a painful road ahead of me...!

Pekoyama left the office with trembling steps, a large amount of cold sweat covering her face.

W...What's up with her...?

Um... It would be rude for me to say anything. I have to think about Pekoyama-san's feelings...

...What’s going on here?

I see what's going on here. She just ran away from us, didn't she?

Which means she must be the culprit! I'm pretty sure about that!

Is that so?

So... Pekoyama’s our culprit. You with me?
...Why do you think so?

Well, she was supposed to be here. And she wasn’t.
I mean, when we were all looking for Togami, I came right here to this office...
And she already wasn’t here.

Well, I wouldn’t want Sonia-san getting mad at me, so you didn't hear this from me, but...

I think Pekoyama flipped the breakers, and then used the darkness to go and murder Togami.

Also, don't you think her face's always too calm? She looks just like an assassin, doesn't she?

Well, it's not like you have such an inviting face yourself...

Souda's Testimony

Souda went straight to the office during the search for Togami after the lights came back on. The office was empty and Pekoyama was nowhere to be found.

No more people to question, so let's see what else is in the office.

This is the remote control for the office air conditioner.

...Huh?

This one is also set to 11:30.
It's just the same as the one back in the main hall.

This... can't be a coincidence.

Evidence Bullet Update posted:

Air Conditioner Timer

The air conditioner in the main hall was set to turn on automatically at 11:30.
The air conditioner in the office was also set to 11:30.

This duralumin case...

It's the one Togami used to store all the dangerous items he confiscated, isn't it?

Shouldn't we check inside... just in case?
I guess... but I think it's still locked.

The key was inside the case Togami-kun kept by his side...

See? I brought it with me.
Hey... You just took it without telling anyone...?!

I guess I shouldn't have messed with the crime scene, right? But, if I hadn't we wouldn't be able to open it.

...So, let's just do it.

He’s not even a tiny bit embarrassed...

* click *

...Here, it's open.

Forks and knives... some skewers and a wrench. Everything is stuffed inside that little box...

But... I don't think the culprit had any way to get something out of this case.
I mean, the key to open it was still inside the other case. The one Togami was holding.

Yeah... He's right.

Well, then... I think we're done with the office.
Yeah. Let's move on.

There aren't any other rooms to check in the lodge, though...

Hmm... I think we looked everywhere inside the lodge.

I have an idea. Why don't we go take a look at Togami-kun's cottage?
Togami's cottage...?

I think we might find a clue there... it wouldn't hurt looking, in any case.
It's just that...I'm afraid of going alone. It might turn out dangerous.
I don't really mind coming along with you, but...
Aren't you worried the danger might turn out to be me?

...You mean, why aren't I afraid it might be you who's the culprit, Hinata-kun?

To tell you the truth, it hasn't even crossed my mind. Or, maybe I should say, I don't want it to.
I mean... If surviving means I have to suspect my friends, I’d rather die trusting them.
Don't say that... How's dying going to help you?
Aren't we doing this in order to survive in the first place?

That's just like you, Hinata-kun... You really are strong. As expected from someone chosen to attend Hope's Peak Academy.

So, let's go! Straight to Togami-kun's cottage!
Y...Yeah...

Somehow... something feels off when I'm talking to him...

orenronen fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 3, 2013

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

HangedManArcana posted:

I'm not sure if you just want Dangan Ronpa 2, or all of them, so forgive me I've got them all. I used Wikipedia so there might be errors. And it's a little small for some of these and hard to see, but you can sort of see them.

You can just use the zoom function in your browser. The font will become clearly visible.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Nagito in the storage room is the most suspicious thing I've seen yet, wow. I don't even think it's directly related to this murder, I think it's something to keep in mind for later.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Huh, Hanamura is admitting to entering the main room of the lodge. Although he was heard speaking, so he'd have to say that even if he was actually under the floor at the time.

What, no one else had a bite to eat before the blackout? What kind of teenagers are these?

Nagito is not helping his case. A spare tablecloth could explain away the lack of blood on the suspect. I bet there might be access to the crawlspace in the storage room. Maybe hidden under a stack of innocent-looking boxes. ... Even Hinata thinks there's something off about him.

This confirms that Pekoyama was poisoned. She was probably in the bathroom (Nidai is in there now, I guess.) The killer was clever to think on their feet, or they anticipated that someone would be sent to guard the breakers.

tsundair
Nov 4, 2012
I wonder if Peko's sickness is caused from the big chunk of meat in the kitchen. It seems plausible.

Anyway, I'm jumping on the culprit=Nagito bandwagon. He just seems way too dismissive of all the topics Hinata brings up, and is way too optimistic.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Well, this lights up Nidai as a suspect. The bloody tablecloth could very well be cow's blood. He may have used the iron to plaster it onto the tablecloth somehow...er...

Okay, maybe not. But that seems like a funny detail alright! Pekoyama is clearly suffering some indigestion, so if the gymnast girl is also ill, that could offer an alibi (the food was bad?).

Nagito remains incredibly suspicious.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Bloody tablecloth, huh. So Togami... no, I still don't think he could have been moved. That would make a lot of noise and require a great deal of strength.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

orenronen posted:

I stretch. My entire torso stretches.
I am a very elastic bear, you see.

...T...That's clearly a lie!

It's true! Do you want me to demonstrate?
Do you want to see Monobear's long torso version? It's gross and grotesque!

:stare:

:stonk:

Okaaay; that aside, that's a hell of a lot of clues that don't easily fit in with anything. But thinking about the problems with the crime scene we've already been discussing, we now have some idea of how someone might have kept themselves unbloodied during the killing: draping that tablecloth over themselves. Problem that arises there is "where was the tablecloth prior to the crime?" (edit: I mean, it'd be easy for whoever hid the knife to also hide the tablecloth under one of the tables, but that would imply some premeditated intention to do something with it. And that would require the criminal to know beforehand they'd get drenched in blood in close quarters, which is itself essentially the sticking point that's been discussed over and over the past couple pages.)

Also, of course the walking K-ON reference would eat nothing but cake. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, I actually had to look up what a "kitchen range" is. Never heard a stove called that before.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 2, 2013

GameSaver
Feb 18, 2013
It's pretty obvious that with both AC units being set to the same time and the irons all being on for no good reason that the blackout was pretty much staged from the beginning, probably setting up a few electrical appliances before the AC's went off to make sure everything was timed right.

Peko is probably gonna be the scapegoat for the murder, with that whole "I am nervous and was near the fusebox" but she's probably just afraid of the dark or something weird. Nagito though, he's got that real suspicious feeling, so he's either the killer or turning into this game's Kirigiri.

ZeroCaim
Jul 7, 2008
Now the game is giving Nagito a little too much suspicion.

RentCavalier posted:

The bloody tablecloth could very well be cow's blood. He may have used the iron to plaster it onto the tablecloth somehow...er...

I agree with the origin of the blood on the tablecloth. Honestly I think Nagito is trying to shoo away us from the storage room because he was in charge of cleaning, and things that could of been added and placed there during the party might put him in the hot seat. Even if he wasn't the person that planted the items, he was still responsible for cleaning the rooms.

With that being said, I still think he is guilty because I think they want to get rid of the two recurring characters as quick as possible to troll everyone. :v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but if there's a fire door that seals off the corridor that's important, and Hanamura claims to have gone out into the corridor, then he might be pulling our leg a bit. He'd also have more access to the storage room with a control for the air conditioner and irons to increase the power draw before the blackout, and the ability to give Pekoyama food poisoning.

Falls Down Stairs: A range is the burners on top of the stove, distinct from the oven part.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I guess it's pretty clear already that the appliances were all set to trigger the blackout, and the luminiscent tape was used so the culprit could find the knife in the dark.
I just hope samurai girl and the bloody tablecloth have nothing to do with each other.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
So, it's looking like someone arranged a blackout by overloading the circuits at a predetermined time. It's probably safe to assume that whoever did that is also the person who hid the knife. Signs are pointing toward Nagito being that person, but there's no definite evidence of that yet.

Also, someone apparently poisoned the food. Or at least put a laxative in it. Hanamura's the most likely culprit there, though to what end I really can't imagine.

And then there's Kuzuryuu, who's still unaccounted for.

Oh, this case. :allears:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
If Nagito was the culprit then he's being silly/bad writing telling us the iron situation. Hopefully it's not Peko or baby face. There's still not enough to pick a solid offender yet.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
I'm getting the feeling that no one besides Owari and Pekoyama ate the food will come up as part of an alibi. Especially if there was something in the food (either put there by Hanamura or the culprit). Or at least to discount there being something in all the food, since something could have been put in that plate in particular. But yeah, I'm leaning towards the food being why the toilet was occupied.

Edit:

Paracelsus posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but if there's a fire door that seals off the corridor that's important, and Hanamura claims to have gone out into the corridor, then he might be pulling our leg a bit. He'd also have more access to the storage room with a control for the air conditioner and irons to increase the power draw before the blackout, and the ability to give Pekoyama food poisoning.

If those doors are set to go off if the power goes out, it would help with figuring out where everyone should have been in the cabin during the blackout.

Argent Cinereus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 2, 2013

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!

orenronen posted:

We really don't have the time to go through them one by one...
...So let's just ignore them.

Yeah. That would be wise.
I wonder why Nagito doesn't want us to see inside those boxes. This seems almost too suspicious. So far everything seems to point towards Nagito being the culprit but this storage room scene almost makes me think otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza
Oh wow, there's quite a few interesting bits of evidence here. Here's mostly what I gathered:

-The irons, the stove, and the air conditioners clearly seem to have been set up to trip the fuse. The fact that they factored in the stove Hanamura was using is pretty interesting.

-Pekoyama has some stomach issues. If I could wager a guess, I'd say she was in the bathroom the whole party, finally left at the beginning of the investigation, and Nidai or Owari are now occupying it. It's also possible that the bathroom is and always has been empty, but the former case does offer an explanation for Peko's disappearance.

-Peko and Owari were the only ones who were able to eat the food. I wonder how this will be significant. If Owari shows any signs of stomach problems, the food was very likely drugged, but otherwise I'm not sure how it'll be useful.

-There is a bloody tablecloth in the hamper! I... have no clue with this one, but it sure does complicate matters. The tablecloth under which the body was found is already bloody, so where the hell did this one come from?

-Nagito is acting suspicious as hell, especially in the storage room. I get the feeling he knows a lot more than he's letting on.

-Togami is confirmed to have yelled the "Hey, what are you doing!" during the blackout. Most of us had worked this out already, but now we know for certain that it plays an important role in the case.

-The kitchen list didn't mention the skewer. Did Togami go ahead and mark it off anyway? That seems extremely careless for him.

-Monobear flipped the power back on! Apparently he's not a laissez faire kind of guy. I'd be surprised if he didn't give the killer long enough to finish his or her clean up, but you never loving know with this guy.

-There's a fire door, meaning parts of the building can be sealed off. Not sure how this is going to come into play since I'm not sure exactly WHERE in the lodge these are located, but it could explain why Souda had such a hard time finding the office, assuming he was telling the truth.

Still nothing about the crawlspace, which a lot of theories are still reliant on. Unless it's in the bathroom or Nagito gets a chance to look around outside the lodge, we may be totally off. Again, just gotta wait until we have all the evidence.

Armanky fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 2, 2013

• Locked thread