Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:
[edit] Whoops I guess I mixed up some Saionji stuff with Fukawa. Sorry! Please ignore! :sweatdrop:

Ern Malley fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirimasen
Mar 31, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

Speaking of Ibuki, is it ever explained what the stitching along her left leg is? I was hoping that it was some type of hosiery, but I think it's an actual scar.

My initial impression is that it was a tattoo.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Ern Malley posted:

So I could very well imagine that the dancer girl would be quite unkempt and disheveled after five (or so? However many days have passed) straight days of wearing the same outfit.

That's not really what I was talking about. Having the folds be such a sharp dark colour when there's already interior shading using more appropriate values makes them stand out way too much, especially with those really sharp-angled edges. Fabric bunches very organically, usually, you tend to get more curvature in its folds.

e: If it helps, my commentary on any and all goon art is intended as critique, not criticism, just in case that doesn't translate well.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 14, 2013

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

tiistai posted:

I'll take a break from spamming the thread with fanart now

Oh no you won't

please

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ern Malley posted:

Stuff about Saionji

Umm I don't think this happened.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

doomfunk posted:

I really hope something like this comes to light during the trial's comic assembly phase:

The joke came to me while I was wrapping up a couple of things for my finals and I had to spend a few minutes sketching it out.

This is awesome. You're awesome.

'Togami! You set off the laser detector with your fat gut! The mission has been compromised!'

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I... think they're mixing in Fukawa things somehow?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sigh, no it hasn't. It's nothing major, but whatever.

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 14, 2013

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

doomfunk posted:

e: If it helps, my commentary on any and all goon art is intended as critique, not criticism, just in case that doesn't translate well.

I imagine most of us who didn't J4G have seen your work and know that you're always droppin' knowledge and not criticism.

Madz
May 3, 2012

doomfunk posted:

I really hope something like this comes to light during the trial's comic assembly phase:

The joke came to me while I was wrapping up a couple of things for my finals and I had to spend a few minutes sketching it out.

"Mr. Porkfeet, I'm pulling you out! "

Also they definetly will have something like this in the trial conclusion, even if the usual comic style gets widely changed.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I actually can't wait for the end of the trial just to see if they keep the climax inference. That was one of the most unique things about DR1 and I'd love to see the DR2 characters in that kind of art style.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

As in the second half of the previous LP, full videos are provided for the school trial. This time, we also have subtitled versions courtesy of HelloWinter, who for some reason seems intent on taking even more duties on herself. We’ll try to provide these together with the updates, but late edits to the script may mean they may come a day or two later in some cases. The videos do not contain the tutorial text, commentary, cultural notes or explanations about aspects of the gameplay that may not be apparent just by watching - you can get all of those by reading the post. That said - the voice acting contributes much to the game that can’t be conveyed easily with a transcription, so by all means - watch the videos!

Scroller: Byakuya Togami has been killed... A bright holiday, abruptly darkened by Mutual Killing... Is the culprit really among us? Or perhaps, is it an outsider? A Super High-school Level school trial begins now.

This is the trial preparation menu. We can Set skills (which we don't have yet, but which we'll get in a second), we can Look at the Electronic Handbook to review Evidence Bullets and purchase skills, we can Change the difficulty setting (but we're keeping it on hard!) or we can Finish preparation and start the trial. I'll start by going into the Electronic Handbook and then into Report Cards...

...Where we can now choose Usami...

...and exchange our hard-earned Hope Shards for skills.

There are actually two types of skills in this game. The first are the ones you can buy in this screen. They include many repeats from DR1, as well as some for new aspects of the trial. The second type are special skills you get by completing a character's free-time arc. These are generally the hard-hitting skills - the ones you want if you're trying to go for high scores or achievements.

I have enough shards for three skills - I chose Charisma, which recovers damage when answering multiple-choice questions correctly, Calm Composure, which reduces the shakiness of the scope, and a third one which I'll describe when the time comes to use it.

Our level (which, as you may recall, increases by moving around and performing various actions during the adventure part of the game) determines how many skills we can equip. Luckily, I'm at just the right level to equip all three.

And we're off!

Trial 1 Raw (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 1 Subbed (Youtube via Polsy)

Before we begin, let me explain the rules of the school trial in simple terms.
Your task is to reason out the identity of the culprit, and vote on who to accuse!
Should you correctly identify the culprit, they alone shall be punished! But if you vote for the wrong person...

Then everyone except the culprit shall be punished, and the culprit shall be given permission to leave the island!

Those wules are too cwuel...!

...Before we begin, there is one thing I want to confirm. Is the culprit really one of us?

Of course they are... Our murderous culprit is definitely one of you.

It truly is a sad tale, isn't it?
By the way, this school trial is 100% fair and square, so please relax.

After Monomi, favoritism and injustice are the things I hate the most!

You weally hate me that much?!

Well, then, let's begin!

Y...You say we should begin... but, what exactly are we supposed to do?

How ‘bout we quit fussing around and just decide with our fists?!

You even listen to the rules?!

That moron Togami was killed in the big hall, wasn't he? In that case, the people in there with him are the most suspicious ones.

Sure, sure. All you want to say is that you're not the culprit, right?

Of course. It's you who started this mutual killing business... It’s nothing to do with me.

Huh? What the...?

A...Anyway... How about we discuss the most interesting fact first?

Eh? What do you mean, “most interesting fact”...?

The location of the body... It's strange that we found it under that table.

So... should we begin with that mystery?

The reason Togami's body was under the table in the big hall...
We'll start there... but it must lead us to discover who killed Togami!

Because, if we can't...

No, it's no use thinking what might or might not happen.

All I know... is that we have to solve this mystery!

Tutorial posted:

At last, the long-awaited school trial has begun.
I realize this may be somewhat inconvenient, but...
...Please allow me to explain some key points in this simple tutorial.
As the school trial progresses, you will frequently find yourself engaged in Nonstop Discussion.
During Nonstop Discussion, your classmates will testify continuously, one after another.
Your task is to discover the lies and inconsistencies hidden in these testimonies...
...and to use the "Evidence Bullets" you have gathered to shoot them down.
A few Evidence Bullets relevant to the topic at hand will be picked...
...and loaded into your Evidence Bullet Cylinder.
You may use the analog pad to move the scope, and the triangle button to shoot.
Pay careful attention to the characters' testimonies, choose the correct Evidence Bullet, aim and shoot.
Incidentally, if the time limit is reached the game will end in failure, so please be careful.
You may press the START button at any time to view an explanation of the controls.
The rest is up to you... We wish you luck.

Phase 1 Raw (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 1 Subbed (Youtube via Polsy)

DISCUSSION START

Evidence Bullets: Gaps in the Floor / Knife / Blood Around the Table

How did Togami-kun's body...

...end up under that table?

It was the table set deepest inside the hall...

...and he was under it.

Maybe after the culprit killed Togami...

They moved the body over there?

Eh? But why would they do that?

They wanted to hide the body, of course!

That way, it would take time before we find it!

They’re just like a dog who made a mess!

...Huh? Something was strange about that testimony. It doesn't quite fit with what I know.

Obviously, the first one's going to be easy.

Blood Around the Table >>> They moved the body over there?

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Trial 2 Raw (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 2 Subbed (Youtube via Polsy)

Don’t you think it’s odd to suggest that the body was moved?

...Huh? Why?

Um, I want you to try and remember the state of things under the table when we found the body...

There was a large amount of blood there, but no blood trails that would suggest the body had been moved.

So, it's improbable that the culprit moved the body... I see! That makes sense!

Gaaah! And I was so sure I was onto something!

So you're an idiot as well as unattractive and bland! Is there any reason for you to go on living?

I...I'm the type of guy who thrives on praise!

But, if the culprit didn't carry it there, why was the body under the table?

That was probably... the place he was killed.

Wha...! Are you saying the murder took place under a table?!

Togami-kun crawled under the table for some reason, and that's where the culprit got to him...
...And that’s the reason his body was left there. It makes sense, doesn’t it?

T...That does make sense, but... what was Togami doing hiding under a table in the first place?

He must've wanted to jump out and surprise us all. He sure was a joker, that Togami!

What?! No he wasn’t! You been paying attention at all?!

Hmmm... Maybe he panicked when the lights went out, and went under the table to hide...

This is not an earthquake! There's no reason to hit the floor when the power goes out!

The reason... must be connected to Togami-kun's actions during the party, doesn't it?

The reason Togami was crawling under the table...

If it's connected to what he did during the party, it must be...

Evidence Bullet: Knife

THIS PROVES IT!

It must have something to do with the knife that we found under the table.

By "knife"... you mean that thing that makes you want to scream "that's the murder weapon!", right?
Togami probably noticed that there was a knife hidden there...
So he crawled under the table on purpose, in order to retrieve it.

Togami was indeed sensitive to dangerous items, so I cannot deny that possibility, but...

How was it that he became aware of a knife hidden under a table?

He can’t have known about it before... If he had, he’d have done something about it earlier.

In that case... What if he didn't know about it ahead of time, but noticed it for the first time right there and then...?
For example, if he saw someone going under the table in order to retrieve the hidden knife...

No, that is impossible.

Oh? You sound extremely confident.

Of course. The facts support my claim.

Upupu! This is getting exciting!

Tutorial posted:

In the previous discussion, we presented only a single Weak Point, but...
...from now on, there will be several Weak Points standing in your way.
Nevertheless, the weak points may be many, but only one indicates an inconsistency.
In other words, the rest are False Weak Points.
No matter how much you shoot the False Weak Points, they will never shatter...
Furthermore, doing so will deplete your confidence, and deal damage to your Expression Meter.
Should the Expression Meter reach zero, the game will end in failure, so be careful.
Please reason out which of the Weak Points is the true inconsistency.
If you wish, you may push the R button to enter Concentration Mode, and slow down the flow of the discussion.
If you feel your aim is failing because things are going too fast, it can be a great help.
However, Concentration Mode depletes the Concentration Meter, so don’t overuse it.

Phase 2 Raw (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 2 Subbed (Youtube via Polsy)

DISCUSSION START

Evidence Bullets: Air Conditioner Timer / Night-vision Goggles / Knife / Blood Around the Table / Gaps in the Floor

When Togami crawled under the table...

...it was right in the middle of the power outage.

That much is beyond doubt!

And that means...

That while the lights were out...

...Mr Porkfeet saw the culprit going for the knife?

It was pitch black during that blackout!

It was so dark I couldn't even see the food in front of me!

No one could see anything, and that includes Togami.

It is impossible for him to have seen the culprit.

It's true - the blackout would make it very difficult to get under the table... But...

Night-vision Goggles >>> No one could see anything, and that includes Togami.

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Trial 3 Raw (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 3 Subbed (Youtube via Polsy)

No, Togami could see what was going on.

...And why was he the only one who could see?

There was a set of night-vision goggles under the table. If Togami used them, he would be able to see during the blackout.

So, are you saying it was Togami who used the goggles?

...Yeah, it appears so.

THAT REASONING IS FLAWED!

No, that's clearly wrong, isn't it?! It's obviously just the opposite!

T...The opposite...?

I mean, it's obvious it was the culprit, not Togami, who used those goggles!

Tutorial posted:

Are you surprised at Koizumi-sama's sudden counterargument?
Just between you and me... I am too!
Ah... that was a lie. I offer my sincere apologies.
Well, then. When such a counterargument occurs, we proceed to a one-on-one discussion mode called "Counterargument Showdown".
The goal in this mode is to slash back at your opponent's arguments, draw out a weak point, and destroy it.
Please use the arrow buttons to "slash back" at your opponent's arguments.
The trick is slashing horizontally, vertically and diagonally according to the shape and movement of the argument you are attacking.
By doing so, you can gain dominance over the discussion's mood.
On the other hand, if you ignore your opponent's arguments, they will gain dominance.
On the bottom right corner of the screen, a number representing your counter slashes' sharpness is displayed.
That number represents the number of slashes that are available to you in each cycle of the discussion.
The number decreases even if your slash doesn't reach its target, so please be careful.
When you are able to gain dominance over the discussion, your opponent will change their arguments' content.
That means the discussion is progressing.
When that happens... a Weak Point may creep into their argument.
That said... an argument containing a Weak Point must not be slashed at regularly.
If you do so, your opponent will regain dominance over the discussion. Greatly so.
Weak points should be destroyed with the triangle button, much like in regular discussion.
Nothing but the correct Evidence Blade will manage to slash through the argument, of course.
Hmm? You do not know what an Evidence Blade is?
I offer my sincere apologies for not explaining it earlier.
Following this tutorial, I will accept a long vacation as punishment.
In this mode, Evidence Bullets are called Evidence Blades.
Um... that is all there is to it. Their content and workings do not change.
It’s simply a name... I thought it seemed appropriate, to set the mood. Do you not agree?
Er... During Counterargument Showdown, you may press the START button to view an explanation of the controls.

Please watch the video to see exactly how this works. This minigame starts out real simple - as you can see, I can slice every statement with a vertical slash. It gets really difficult real fast, though - trust me. So difficult that the third skill I bought is Super Sharp Sword, which adds 5 to the sharpness value.

Phase 3 Raw (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 3 Subbed (Youtube via Polsy)

COUNTERARGUMENT SHOWDOWN START

Evidence Blades: Irons at the Storage Room / Knife / Duralumin Case

If we think about this rationally...

It must've been the culprit who used the night-vision goggles!

I’m telling you, that much should be obvious!

DEVELOPMENT

What's your evidence it was the culprit who used them?

I mean, wearing those goggles...

...Is the only way someone could kill Togami in complete darkness!

I'm sure... that's what really happened here...

Anyway, in order to do that...

...It was the culprit who brought those goggles to the scene!

I saw a hole in that counterargument...!

It was Togami who brought those goggles into the lodge... If I can prove that with evidence, I can destroy Koizumi’s argument entirely!

Duralumin Case >>> ...It was the culprit who brought those goggles to the scene!

I’LL CUT THAT CLAIM TO PIECES!

Trial 4 Raw (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 4 Subbed (Youtube via Polsy)

No, the person who brought those goggles to the lodge was, undoubtedly, the victim - Togami.

Undoubtedly...? Why?

Do you remember that duralumin case Togami was carrying with him during the party?
There was a storage case for a set of night-vision goggles inside.

In other words, we can infer the goggles were inside the duralumin case when they were brought into the lodge...

Ha ha! Ibuki said "infer"! A clever word that doesn't fit her at all!

That means that someone removed those goggles from inside the case during the power outage...
And the only person who could have done that is Togami, who never left its side.

I see... If you put it this way, I guess you're right...

In that case, that knife probably also came from inside the duralumin case, didn't it?
If he had night-vision goggles in there, it wouldn't be too weird if there was also a knife!

...No, something is weird.

Yes, I guess I am weird... At a time like this all I can think about is this evening's hors d'oeuvre...

Ewwww, gross! That was definitely a double entendre, right?!

Was the knife also in the duralumin case along with the goggles...?

No, that's impossible.

The knife was hidden before the party even started. There was evidence that proves that.

Packing tape / Night-vision goggles case / Duralumin case / This evening's hors d'oeuvre

I SEE!

There was a piece of packing tape on the underside of the table we found the body under.

...Eh? Packing tape?

I'm sure it was used to attach the knife to the table's underside, and thereby hide it from view.

S...So that's why there was a piece of packing tape left over there...

Togami was extremely vigilant and careful tonight, but even he didn’t think to check under the tables...

...If I may change the subject for a little while, why was Togami on such high alert tonight?

He brought in not only defense goods, but even those night-vision goggles in that duralumin case of his...

That is certainly excessive for a "just in case" scenario...!

Now that you mention it... so was his confiscation of dangerous items.

Subjecting us to such a thorough body check... that's way too much if he was simply being cautious!

He... must have known. He knew someone was going to try and murder tonight...

He had premonitions of the murder?! No, it can’t be... does he also possess the Evil Eye...?!

You think so too, don't you, Hinata-kun?

That's right... I'm sure Togami did know. He knew it was possible a murder will occur...

Evidence Bullet: Advance Notice of a Crime

THIS PROVES IT!

Everyone... Take a look at this.

"Watch out. The first murder will occur tonight. It is inevitable."

Oi... What's this...?

Hinata-kun and I found it. It was at Togami-kun's cottage.

In all likelihood... this is a threat someone sent to Togami.

Who's this "someone"?

No one but Monobear would write such a stupid threat...

It wasn't me!

...Is that the truth?

The only lies I tell are white lies!

Even that's a lie, isn't it!

Regardless of who wrote it... is this threat the reason Togami was so wary?

This letter is also probably to blame for Togami-kun suddenly deciding to throw the party.

What do you mean?

By gathering everyone in a single place, he tried to create a situation where everyone watched each other.
That way, whoever sent that threat would be held back, unable to make their move.

But, that letter was probably just a prank...

Nevertheless, Togami-kun declared that there won't be even a single victim. He couldn't just let it go...
His strong sense of responsibility... forced him to take the threat seriously.

Ku... he should have discussed this threat with us when he got it...!

If he did that, it would just throw us into chaos... I'm sure Togami-kun understood that very well.

Then, he decided to tell no one and act alone?

His sense of responsibility as a leader became his downfall...

Feh, it's time to stop fooling around! Who the hell wrote that letter?!

It was... the culprit, of course...

The culprit...
Are they... really one of us?

But... who is it?

Who here is the culprit who killed Togami?

Heh. How about it, cowardly one? Have you at least the courage to step forward now?

Someone who would just give up here wouldn't have murdered someone in the first place...

But... I still can't believe it...

I still can't believe one of us killed Togami...

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
A nifty detail you'll miss if you don't watch the video: Hinata improves on Naegi's "YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!" not only by adding a clearer animated overlay and by having a voice clip that isn't blurted out in like half a second, but also by having his hair be in motion during the animation. It's great. He also does this for his other "objections".

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Those subs are absolutely amazing. I only watched a few of the videos for DR1, but I'm sure I'll be watching them all now. I have to say too, seeing it all in action like this really makes me appreciate the sound design more; the music is really seamless, and fits the shifting mood well.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Yeah, this continues to be an excellent translation.

I'm a fan of the new interruptions in this series of trials as well - it makes things much livelier.

Anyway, I suppose the hope shards in this game are to keep it from forcing you to spend free time with specific characters for the best skills so that's a nice way of removing some of the railroading.

Regarding the trial itself, I think we're off to a bit of an odd start. I thought the most likely cause of death would be a skewering from below the floorboards while covered by the bloody sheet there really doesn't seem to have been enough time for the culprit to be spotted then get under the floorboards from where they were under the table. It's possible there could've been an accomplice already waiting there and someone else acting as a lure, but as with the previous game there really doesn't seem to be the motive for one.

Still, now that we've got the basics out of the way this should be pretty good.

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012
You put in so much effort, the presentation is even better than before with the subtitles and everything.

When I saw it I was so sure the 3D animation used during those objections was Live2D. It apparently isn't, since they're not on the list of games that use it on the official site. It looks pretty similar, though. Maybe it's just because the hair is animated along specific joints.

My favorite thing is probably that other people get dramatic, animated, mid-sentence interrupts.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

orenronen posted:

I still can't believe one of us killed Togami...

Lot of hints being dropped here, maybe someone outside the group killed him, and whoever is "convicted" will just be taking the fall? That'd make this whole thing super-depressing.

Also that new "cutting" section. :psyduck: I seriously had no idea what was going on there. At least the music for it is pretty rad.

BackwardPalindrome
Dec 9, 2012

Joakim Mogren is totally rendered in the FOX Engine you guys.
Gundam just keeps getting better with every single update, something I never thought I'd see. Also, the way despair syndrome (?) popped in, that really got me. I never watched any videos but the executions for DR1 but I will most definitely be watching the rest of these. HelloWinter did an amazing job with the subtitles, and it makes the videos just that much better.

Also goddamn you orenronen, you are the best/worst cliffhanging motherfucker I have ever seen, you magnificent bastard.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
Did they really just have a sword fight? I love this game so much.

Also, oren, are you going to upload the new songs we heard in the videos to your tindeck at any point?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

That counter-argument really threw me! I also couldn't help noticing how competent and logical our group is compared to the last game.

This game looks like it'll be fun.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lamhirh posted:

My favorite thing is probably that other people get dramatic, animated, mid-sentence interrupts.

YOUR REASONING IS FLAWED! was my favourite part of the update, and it makes me so glad I watched the video first so it took me by complete surprise.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Yay the trial has started! I am watch the video later but everything looks awesome thus far.

I like how there are much less :downs: this time around, and Hanamura acts pretty normal for someone on top of the suspect list.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much useless chaff this time around, just things like Souda being wrong, Gundam occasionally being a wizard, and Ibuki's Ibukiing.

I was actually surprised by how calm and logical Gundam's showing himself to be. He's so nuts it looped right back around. I'm excited to see any other new mechanics in the vein of the counterargument swordfight.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

That counter-argument really threw me! I also couldn't help noticing how competent and logical our group is compared to the last game.

This game looks like it'll be fun.

Don't worry in the next update Gundam will claim a ghost did it

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Patware posted:

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much useless chaff this time around, just things like Souda being wrong, Gundam occasionally being a wizard, and Ibuki's Ibukiing.

In contrast though there doesn't seem to be any hyper-competent, "hmm yes, just as I was thinking too" types like Celes or Kirigiri either. There's a few characters who I could see take up that role later, but it's not as clearly obvious as last time around. Should make things interesting.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
I really liked the subtitles this time around, but if I could make a request for future videos: whenever someone speaks but their portrait isn't on the screen, could you also use a subtitle to indicate who is talking? I'm not familiar enough with these characters yet to recognize each one by voice, so it would really help me out.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Thank you to HelloWinter for the absolutely wonderful subbed videos (and the translators of course as well). That was great, really made the trials more interesting to watch, for me at least.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

miscellaneous14 posted:

Lot of hints being dropped here, maybe someone outside the group killed him, and whoever is "convicted" will just be taking the fall? That'd make this whole thing super-depressing.

Also that new "cutting" section. :psyduck: I seriously had no idea what was going on there. At least the music for it is pretty rad.

That would pretty much completely defeat the purpose of the school trial sections. And the rules from DR1 are still in effect: guess the wrong culprit, and everyone gets punished.

The subtitles are awesome.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Jeek posted:

Yay the trial has started! I am watch the video later but everything looks awesome thus far.

I like how there are much less :downs: this time around, and Hanamura acts pretty normal for someone on top of the suspect list.

I wouldn't really call his reactions normal so far. He's tried to discredit both the knife and letter as evidence. Mighty suspicious.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

miscellaneous14 posted:

Monobear already said the murderer was one of the students, and we already know from Dangan Ronpa 1 that he never outright lies. Even if he's operated by a different person this time, his role as the operator of the game remains the same, and thus he is our main source of information about the game. Doubting him would be on the level of meta reasoning.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Thank you, HelloWinter for the subtitles.

I like the new counter-argument phase, it makes the other students seem a bit more proactive and not just meekly waiting for Naegi to answer it all. I especially like the idea that it can change over time.

There isn't an obvious super-competent Kirigiri-like, but Mahiru seems pretty on-the-ball.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It is completely impossible for me to take Hinata seriously when his hair wiggles like that.

drat fine update, however.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

The trial aside for a moment, holy gently caress, Akane is *huge*. I really like how this game has a better sense/better showing of size differences between the characters where in DR1 it didn't have the same feel. Everyone tended to be shot at close up range and you didn't feel the sense that the kids were all much different sizes apart from a few artwork scenes or classroom shots. Even in those, it's usually looking at the cast from a distance.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Also the best part of this update was far and away Monomi being hung from a rope.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Phelddagrif posted:

I wouldn't really call his reactions normal so far. He's tried to discredit both the knife and letter as evidence. Mighty suspicious.

Not necessarily. I don't think Hanamura planted either the knife or the letter. He'd have no reason to plant that knife since he had access to dangerous weapons anyway (and it's not like this murder seems to have been premediated, at least not the one we got), and he really doesn't seem the type to make such a threat, since he from the very start has tried to ignore the whole 'kill each other' deal. If he really was trying to protect himself, wouldn't it be smarter to push the knife as the murder weapon?

Also, really digged Mahiru butting in there. She's definitely not as bland as she seemed at the start.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Ibuki and Nagito are both being a little suspicious. I don't think either of them is the murderer, but it seems like they're not being totally honest. Ibuki's "hahah wow that was a smart word I'm too dumb to say something like that!!!" seems like a hasty backpedal; possibly she's just putting on an act and is smarter than she's letting on.

Nagito continues to be oddly removed from proceedings- for example, he gave Hinata an obvious hook with the "I think Togami knew ahead of time", but he didn't mention the letter directly even though he was there when it was discovered. Plus, he didn't go "you know what I'm talking about right Hinata" he just innocently asked if Hinata agreed with him. He also keeps purposefully introducing ideas but not actually arguing for them himself- for example, introducing "it's weird that he's under the table" but not commenting on "he was dragged there" until Hinata points it out. There's not really enough to go on to make any guesses about what he's up to, but I have a feeling he's not just concerned with getting out alive like most students.

Also, they gave Monomi Junko's mushrooms at one point, which is probably just a cute little reference but still worth noticing.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 14, 2013

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
I am really digging the music in this trial, not gonna lie. And count me as another one who was surprised by the new counterargument minigame, it makes the whole trial mechanic feel fresh and interesting :3:

(I must point out that occasionally the music tended to drown out some of the speakers at points for me, mostly Nagito and Sonia. I understand if it's something that can't easily be fixed, though! And at least there are subs. Thanks for those, guys!)

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

YOUR REASONING IS FLAWED! was my favourite part of the update, and it makes me so glad I watched the video first so it took me by complete surprise.

I said "what" out loud when it happened. It's so much nicer to have challenges against us that are fluid arguments that make sense, rather than the constant denial of the machine-gun battle sections from DR1. It keeps the player on their toes.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Terper posted:

Not necessarily. I don't think Hanamura planted either the knife or the letter. He'd have no reason to plant that knife since he had access to dangerous weapons anyway (and it's not like this murder seems to have been premediated, at least not the one we got), and he really doesn't seem the type to make such a threat, since he from the very start has tried to ignore the whole 'kill each other' deal. If he really was trying to protect himself, wouldn't it be smarter to push the knife as the murder weapon?

Also, really digged Mahiru butting in there. She's definitely not as bland as she seemed at the start.

The fact that the knife was planted at all demonstrates that the murder was premeditated. They put glow-in-the-dark paint on the knife, not knowing that Togami had night-vision goggles. With everyone gathered together, it was very likely that SOMEONE would see the glowing paint during the blackout and investigate. Then it's just a matter of stabbing upwards through the floorboards with a skewer once they heard someone moving around above them.

Hanamura didn't mention anything about the knife being the murder weapon; he didn't think it was relevant to the case at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Nagito continues to be oddly removed from proceedings- for example, he gave Hinata an obvious hook with the "I think Togami knew ahead of time", but he didn't mention the letter directly even though he was there when it was discovered. Plus, he didn't go "you know what I'm talking about right Hinata" he just innocently asked if Hinata agreed with him. He also keeps purposefully introducing ideas but not actually arguing for them himself- for example, introducing "it's weird that he's under the table" but not commenting on "he was dragged there" until Hinata points it out. There's not really enough to go on to make any guesses about what he's up to, but I have a feeling he's not just concerned with getting out alive like most students.

It's what Kirigiri did in the first game. At best, you could call it shady, at worst, you could say it's prompting the player to jump in, so that it doesn't just feel like you are watching everyone else solve the case around you.

• Locked thread