Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think he made this rule this time.

I think we can assume the base rules from the first game are still in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ndi posted:

For some reason, I think the note was written by someone who had nothing to do with either the murder or failed murder plots. The way it's written gives me a distinct Sonia vibe.

Yamada faked his death, killed Ishimaru, and was killed by Celes in a new location.

Right, at which point Monobear clarified that the mastermind is the one responsible for the murder, not the person who committed the physical act. It turned out not to matter since only one of the people involved ended up surviving the ordeal (before being executed)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

thelarue posted:

I am wondering which happened first now: Nagito/someone giving Togami the letter to force his hand or Togami having gotten the defense equipment beforehand. If Nagito knew ahead of time that Togami had nightvision goggles, then Nagito would have had an easier time plotting the murder once he was volunteered for cleanup duty.

lol, what if Nagito is just being petty since no one was going to help him clean.

I don't think that Nagito expected Togami to have night vision goggles. Nagito's plan was to grab the knife during the blackout and try to stab someone in the dark, I guess. It's not a very good plan but I don't see any other reason for the knife to be there, for Nagito to be standing right next to the table pre-blackout, etc. I think that the evidence points to this being Nagito's plan to commit a murder, it just seems poorly thought out on his part (okay tough guy, you have a knife with glow in the dark paint all over it -- now how are you going to stab someone in a pitch-black room without getting blood all over you and without being noticed? And how are you going to convince everyone that you're not the most likely suspect for having grabbed the knife when you were the one standing right next to the table?)

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think we can assume the base rules from the first game are still in place.

I'm not sure we can. The rules they were given didn't include the accomplice thing, and that would need to at least be brought up to keep up the illusion of a fair game, which they seem to be going for. I'm almost certain it will come up, but I don't think it applies yet. Might even be pulled off first.

And on a meta level, it would be a bit of a dick move to use something not mentioned in the game as an important assumption. If the player hadn't played the first, that could screw up whatever train of thought they were using the whole time.

Argent Cinereus fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 17, 2013

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have to say, the idea of Celes being declared the sole culprit of both murders never really sat right with me. The plan may originally have been Celes' idea, but Yamada made the decision of his own free will to agree to that plan; he chose to murder Ishimaru. They were both culprits, in my view.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

kvltmanifesto posted:

And I swear he made a statement that the murder counts towards whoever did the physical act, regardless of who planned it or who forced it upon whoever.

Honestly, Monobear's fairly unclear in that whole regard. In Case 4 of DR1, there's no murder at all, but we still have a trial for... ...some reason, I guess. (Despair!...?) And I guess Sakura's the culprit, but we execute Alter Ego so whatever. The Celes/Yamada accomplice deal makes pretty much no sense to take from Yamada's standpoint, but it's handwaved away with the fact that Yamada's not too bright to begin with.

Anyway, Monobear's clarifications are just that you're voting on "one true culprit" who "planned and executed the murder(s)".

Argent Cinereus posted:

I'm not sure we can. The rules they were given didn't include the accomplice thing, and that would need to at least be brought up to keep up the illusion of a fair game, which they seem to be going for. And on a meta level, it would be a bit of a dick move to use something not mentioned in the game as an important assumption. If the player hadn't played the first, that could screw up whatever train of thought they were using the whole time.

Here's the thing: In the last game, Monobear had to specify the accomplice thing after the fact, during trial. And when they brought up that maybe a person could've been an accomplice and not known, he gets exasperated and just tells them there's no accomplice...

...Except it doesn't actually matter. If you're an accomplice, odds are, you want to make sure you're getting off the island with the murderer. If you're too dumb to that, at some point Monobear's sure to bring up "An accomplice has nothing to gain!" at some point, in which case you'd go, "Oh seriously? gently caress that, I helped Joe do it. Here's how it went down. I'm sorry everyone, execute him please."

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

DaveWoo posted:

I have to say, the idea of Celes being declared the sole culprit of both murders never really sat right with me. The plan may originally have been Celes' idea, but Yamada made the decision of his own free will to agree to that plan; he chose to murder Ishimaru. They were both culprits, in my view.

I think the "one true culprit" line was simply Monobear telling us that we only had to find a single culprit. Even if one of the victims had killed the other, there was still only one living culprit at the end, so that was all that mattered. If two victims had been killed by different people who were still around to graduate at the end, then the bear probably would have said something different.

Speaking of which... I wonder if the idea of two independent murders happening at the same time (with completely independent culprits) is going to come up in this game. It's unlikely, since it would take out a fourth of the cast in one fell swoop (with two victims and two executed culprits), but this series has thrown plenty of curveballs before.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

DaveWoo posted:

Wyvernil posted:

I think the "one true culprit" line was simply Monobear telling us that we only had to find a single culprit. Even if one of the victims had killed the other, there was still only one living culprit at the end, so that was all that mattered. If two victims had been killed by different people who were still around to graduate at the end, then the bear probably would have said something different.

Speaking of which... I wonder if the idea of two independent murders happening at the same time (with completely independent culprits) is going to come up in this game. It's unlikely, since it would take out a fourth of the cast in one fell swoop (with two victims and two executed culprits), but this series has thrown plenty of curveballs before.

I agree with both of you, more or less. It kinda makes sense that Case 3 would've been two separate murders, and had Celes killed someone else, I don't know if Yamada and Celes get to leave.

Kirigiri actually makes it sound that way, with her talk of "an unbalanced position" which makes no sense otherwise.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

slowbeef posted:

...Except it doesn't actually matter. If you're an accomplice, odds are, you want to make sure you're getting off the island with the murderer. If you're too dumb to that, at some point Monobear's sure to bring up "An accomplice has nothing to gain!" at some point, in which case you'd go, "Oh seriously? gently caress that, I helped Joe do it. Here's how it went down. I'm sorry everyone, execute him please."

Hmm, I wonder if this will happen at some point, because I would like to see how the rest of the class will behave towards the accomplice, knowing that they were a part of someone's death. Would they act the same, or would they be unlikely to trust that person anymore, and how would the accomplice try to redeem theirself, if at all?

Wyvernil posted:

This would be interesting, since it would make the trials harder, since you would have to not only find the culprit but have to link them to the correct victim as well.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The courtyard at Hope’s Peak Academy’s eastern quarter, deep at night.

The lights from the surrounding facilities were long gone. Only the street lamps, installed at fixed intervals, still dimly illuminated the darkness.

In front of the clock tower on the edge of the courtyard stood a teenage girl, alone. She narrowed her eyes and looked at the clock above her head.

“He should be here soon,” she whispered.

The girl was waiting for someone.

When she first contacted the man, he coldly refused to meet her, insisting that it wasn’t necessary. But once she’d procured documents concerning shady deals in his past, she found him much more open to the suggestion. It wasn’t hard -- after all, she made her livelihood discovering people’s secrets. In fact, she thought this one had given up a little too easily. What else was he hiding...?

-- Fame is a fickle food...
-- You work so hard to get it, and all it gets you is your freedom lost...

The man she was waiting for was a member of Hope’s Peak Academy’s steering committee.

There was a reason she had to meet a member of the committee. There was something she had to ask directly, whatever the cost. There was a certain truth that the committee were earnestly trying to hide. A truth even her client -- Hope’s Peak Academy’s headmaster -- most likely did not know. The only avenue of investigation was to question a committee member directly.

She had come to that important realization only a few short days after setting out on her investigation. Her formidable talent led her to it.

Her name was Kyouko Kirigiri.

She was a student in Hope’s Peak Academy’s 78th class, and bore the title of “Super High-school Level Detective”.

And right now, she was employed by Hope’s Peak’s headmaster to investigate a certain incident.

“He sure is late...” she whispered, looking up at the clock tower once more.

Five minutes late.

-- I should have asked him to be strictly on time...

The wrinkles on her forehead deepened. But the moment she lowered her eyes from the clock, they disappeared. She saw a figure of a man in the distance.

The figure glanced around, seemingly on guard, then proceeded slowly toward where she was standing. His features slowly became clearer. He was an elderly man wearing a pitch-black suit and a matching pitch-black necktie, as if he was on the way back from a funeral. His grizzled hair was unnaturally stiff with pomade, and seemed almost artificial.

As the man came closer, his face also revealed itself. His brow was covered with deep wrinkles that seemed to be chiseled directly into his skull. The sunken eyes below them glared at Kyouko with a disgusted expression.

The distance between the two narrowed, and finally, when there were only three meters separating them, the man stopped.

“...Was it you who called me here?” The man opened his small, straight mouth and raised the question in a severe tone of voice. “What is it you wa --”

But, his words were cut short.

Something absurd, something completely out of place, came falling down from the sky --

-- and both the man and his words --

-- were flattened by it.

Kyouko felt as if the scene before her was a stop motion animation --

-- as though she was witnessing a series of ridiculous tableaus.

The school desk that came flying down from the sky hit the man directly on the head.

The man’s body twisted from the impact, and then collapsed. The desk struck the ground and then bounced back into the air in recoil. At that point, another desk came flying down from above. It smashed into the fallen man’s back, bending his body like a trampled ragdoll. Then, yet another falling desk twisted his neck unnaturally. The man’s face showed no sign of surprise. It was stuck in the same expression he had when he talked to Kyouko. Then, several more flying desks hid his body, making a huge cloud of dust as they hit the ground.

An overdue intense crashing noise finally registered in Kyouko’s ears. At the same time, a desk came shooting out from inside the cloud of dust, grazed her hair, and landed behind her, revolving like a spinning top.

It was a freakish development.

A development with no rhyme or reason.

The man who moments ago stood in front of Kyouko had been crushed by a large number of falling school desks as soon as he opened his mouth. It all took place in the span of a few seconds.

It took Kyouko only a brief moment to regain her senses. The dust cloud was still rising in the air when she took off running up to the desk pile. There was already a deep-red puddle next to the man, who was now buried under the rubble. Dark liquid seeped from his eyes, nose and ears.

Kyouko’s mind quickly changed course. She turned her head to look above her.

A vague silhouette stood atop the school building, slowly coming into focus. It was a human figure, illuminated by moonlight from behind. The figure brandished something above its head... and then threw it.

It was a pipe chair, and it was flying down straight towards Kyouko.

She jumped aside, dodging the chair’s trajectory, and leaped into the school building. Yet another crashing noise came from behind her. She assumed a low posture as she ran through the building’s corridors, and then continued to run up the stairs without stopping to catch her breath. At that moment, she didn’t care at all that she had just been targeted. She was running purely for the sake of the clue, in an adrenaline rush that erased any sense of danger from her mind.

Then, in no time at all, she reached the landing at the top floor and found the remains of a padlock lying on the floor in front of the door that led to the roof.

-- This school should really consider buffing up security.

She grabbed the doorknob, muttering cynically. The feeling of cold metal reached her fingertips. She squeezed the knob and pushed. The door opened easily and noiselessly.

She immediately felt the strong, cold night wind blowing past her body.

She took a single cautious step into the doorway, and quickly looked around the roof, dimly illuminated by starlight. There was no one there.

She walked around the concrete floor, thoroughly checking the area near the door and every other place where a person could conceivably be hiding in the shadows. Nevertheless -- she couldn’t find anybody.

-- I just missed them.

A feeling of despondency assailed her, and she leaned her back on the iron fence surrounding the roof. Then, she looked up at the sky and quietly grumbled to herself.

“This is why I hate missing person cases...”

Suddenly, a cold shiver ran past her back. Something wasn’t right. She quickly turned over, pushed her body over the railing and looked down into the courtyard. Her face caught the cold night wind, and her expression quickly turned grave serious.

She could see the wreckage of school desks and pipe chairs near the clock tower. But there was something missing.

The body that should have been there -- wasn’t.

Kyouko’s teeth chattered from the cold as she pulled her cell phone from an inner pocket. Just as she was about to push the call button, a hint of hesitation appeared on her face.

Nevertheless, her finger soon pushed the button.

After a couple of rings, she heard a man’s voice.

“Are you free right now?” Kyouko asked, skipping a greeting. “There’s something I want to report directly. I’m coming over.”

It was a few minutes after Kyouko Kirigiri had disappeared from the roof.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzt. A strange sound, as if the very air was being torn, echoed through the east quarter’s courtyard.

“Zap! Zap! Taser-gun!” exclaimed the high school girl, touting a pistol-shaped object high over her head. Her eyes were focused on the two guards lying in a pile on the floor, collapsed. They were both lying face down, and each had a small, thin needle sticking out of their back. A wire ran from each needle to the pistol in the girl’s hand.

“Take that!” she cried and pulled the trigger.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzt.

The bodies of the two men, who were already unconscious, shook and spasmed along with the violent noise.

“...Ha ha!”

An ecstatic expression appeared on the girl’s face as she watched them.

Junko Enoshima --

She had no makeup on, looked as if she had just woken up from sleep, and kept yawning big yawns. The pistol she held in her hand was a taser gun, a powerful self-defense weapon. It was a type of a stun gun - by shooting some target with a needle connected to a wire, she could send an electric current through the target’s body. It wasn’t originally strong enough to kill a person, but since she’d modified it to send a stronger current it wouldn’t be so strange if someone did die.

A despair-inducing self-defense weapon.

One might say it made her unbeatable.

Junko Enoshima continued playing with the taser gun for a short while, but soon grew tired of it. She pulled the wires away with her bare hands, and threw them into a plastic bag. Then, she nonchalantly dumped the bag into a nearby trash can.

“Well, then. I think that took care of every annoying person in my way. It seems that Little Miss Kindaichi also disappeared to who knows where... Upupu... Does that mean I have the place all to myself?”

She let out a theatrical sigh of relief, and walked majestically across the plaza. Her destination was the clock tower. She didn’t attempt to hide herself at all. Quite the opposite - she exhibited a sense of presence that seemed to scream at people to look at her. It also had the sinister suggestion that by doing so they might end up dead.

“That said, I never expected Little Miss Conan to stick her nose into my business. It must be that pesky headmaster’s meddling... But, my plans for this scenario don’t include her at all, so what am I to do? I mean, it is interesting to have her around, but it’s also possible she’ll be a real hindrance after I went through all that effort to -- Hey, waitwaitwaitwaitwait?”

She stopped abruptly, as if about to trip forward, and stared at the wreckage of school desks and pipe chairs in front of her. The moment she saw it, the cruel smile that was plastered on her face disappeared.

“...The body isn’t here,” she spat out. “Again...? This sure is despair-inducing... As despair-inducing as all your dreams crumbling down...”

Nevertheless, there was a smile on her face.

Smiling, she kicked the pipe chair that was lying on the ground near her feet. It didn’t seem like a very powerful kick, but the chair flew a few meters, hit a street lamp that was in its way, and shot off into the air like a ping-pong ball.

Then, when the sound of the clash’s echo disappeared from the plaza --

-- Junko Enoshima’s figure was already gone, vanished like a shadow.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 17, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Honestly, Monobear's fairly unclear in that whole regard. In Case 4 of DR1, there's no murder at all, but we still have a trial for... ...some reason, I guess. (Despair!...?) And I guess Sakura's the culprit, but we execute Alter Ego so whatever. The Celes/Yamada accomplice deal makes pretty much no sense to take from Yamada's standpoint, but it's handwaved away with the fact that Yamada's not too bright to begin with.

With how messed up Monobear/Junko's mental state seemed to be in that game it's not unreasonable to say that she considered suicide to be a person murdering themselves, hence the trial. That or it was just an opportunity to cause more despair as you said, so why not?

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
So I guess it is the unanimous idea that Nagito was going to try and murder Togami but it didn't quite work out the way he wanted...

So...when the trial is over and Hanamura is executed. How exactly will Nagito's relations be with everyone else? I mean heck the guy didn't get to do it but he TRIED to murder someone. People are going to be feeding this guy with a 70 foot spoon after this. Nagito seems to be one of your sidekick characters. If everyone is correct about how this all went down then Nagito is no longer trust worthy.

Edit: Heh Yeah basically what RefinedUndefined said somewhere above me.

Dejablue fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 17, 2013

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dejablue posted:

So I guess it is the unanimous idea that Nagito was going to try and murder Togami but it didn't quite work out the way he wanted...

So...when the trial is over and Hanamura is executed. How exactly will Nagito's relations be with everyone else? I mean heck the guy didn't get to do it but he TRIED to murder someone. People are going to be feeding this guy with a 70 foot spoon after this. Nagito seems to be one of your sidekick characters. If everyone is correct about how this all went down then Nagito is no longer trust worthy.

I'm guessing Nagito's excuse is that he planted everything there for self-defense.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm guessing Nagito's excuse is that he planted everything there for self-defense.

...Including the blackout?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

slowbeef posted:

Well, the knife at least. He can probably pin the blackout on Hanamura vOv

I'm just talking more in the sense of post-execution relations, it seems more reasonable that he'd have an excuse like that. Thought it would be far more interesting to see him have to deal with the fallout of his attempted kill.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

slowbeef posted:

If the criminal can't see you, then they can't kill you!

Also, DR0 just got Looney Tunes as all hell.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dejablue posted:

This is exactly why I love the idea of Nagito being an attempted murderer. How the heck are the other students going to deal with someone who they know just tried to kill one of them?

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Twiddy posted:

Also, DR0 just got Looney Tunes as all hell.

And apparantly Junko has SHSL Weapon Modification skills, crazy strength, ninja-like stealth abilities and an inability to remember her classmate's name. Seriously Dangan Ronpa? Also, just who is moving those bodies, if not Junko or Mukuro?

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012

Twiddy posted:

If the criminal can't see you, then they can't kill you!

Ultimate solution! Turn out all of the lights!

But the idea of him stowing away a knife for self defense is, plausible but not believable. Why hide a knife specifically with glow in the dark tape? That would mean you anticipated the blackout. And if you could predict that, any innocent man or woman would have immediately given a warning.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

RefinedUndefined posted:

and an inability to remember her classmate's name.

Kindaichi and Conan are both extremely famous manga detectives (unless she's referencing the original Kindaichi, who is not from a manga). I just revised the translation just a little bit to reflect Junko's tone a little better.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Dejablue posted:

So I guess it is the unanimous idea that Nagito was going to try and murder Togami but it didn't quite work out the way he wanted.
I still don't buy it, particularly for the reason Quark Jets mentioned: How the hell do you manage to find anyone in total darkness, stab them, conceal a weapon, bloody and plant a fake, get out of the room, clean yourself off, then get back in to the room so you're there when the lights come up in the short time the power was out? The idea of Nagito knowing Togami had the NVGs on him is relying on way too much circumstantial evidence for me to put much faith in it so far. I'm leaning toward Hanamura planting the knife, Nagito seeing the glow and moving to investigate, Togami (using the NVGs) seeing Nagito interrupting, and Hanamura skewering Togami.

Sure, it's partially luck based; what if no one sees the lure meaning no one crawls under the table? At that point, no harm, no foul, because no one knows a murder was attempted. Twirl your mustache, mutter a "curses, foiled again!" and come up with a new murder plot with no one really the wiser.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 17, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oren, are you sure this novel is vital to DR2? Because all it's doing is making me absolutely loving hate Junko.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

orenronen posted:

Kindaichi and Conan are both extremely famous manga detectives (unless she's referencing the original Kindaichi, who is not from a manga). I just revised the translation just a little bit to reflect Junko's tone a little better.

I knew about Conan, but I wasn't sure if Kindaichi was a reference or if Junko just couldn't remember her name at all.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

I still don't buy it, particularly for the reason Quark Jets mentioned: How the hell do you manage to find anyone in total darkness, stab them, conceal a weapon, bloody and plant a fake, get out of the room, clean yourself off, then get back in to the room so you're there when the lights come up in the short time the power was out? The idea of Nagito knowing Togami had the NVGs on him is relying on way too much circumstantial evidence for me to put much faith in it so far. I'm leaning toward Hanamura planting the knife, Nagito seeing the glow and moving to investigate, Togami (using the NVGs) seeing Nagito interrupting, and Hanamura skewering Togami.

Not to mention the fact that if Nagito saw Togami get the goggles, he probably also saw him get the baton. In a blackout, I don't think a guy with a knife has any kind of advantage against a guy with a police baton and night vision. Sure, SHSL good luck and all that, but there's no real way of knowing how this game is going to implement that. It was more incidental luck in the first game, and this would be much more overt.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
From the looks of those descriptions, it seems like Kirigiri's hands haven't been horribly burnt yet. Interesting if that'll come about as part of a direct confrontation at some point. Also interesting is whatever third party is messing around with those bodies. Didn't expect someone else to be involved at all.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

Waffleman_ posted:

Oren, are you sure this novel is vital to DR2? Because all it's doing is making me absolutely loving hate Junko.

Ugh same. I wasn't too keen on her beforehand but now I just want her to shut up. Though it was nice to see Kirigiri again.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I figured that it was inevitable that Kirigiri show up in DR0. Glad she's back.

HGH posted:

From the looks of those descriptions, it seems like Kirigiri's hands haven't been horribly burnt yet. Interesting if that'll come about as part of a direct confrontation at some point. Also interesting is whatever third party is messing around with those bodies. Didn't expect someone else to be involved at all.

What gave you that idea? :confused: I would think that her hands would have to already be burned, since she's going to have to forget the events of DR0 later, but she remembers her burned hands in DR1.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

orenronen posted:

She grabbed the doorknob, muttering cynically. The feeling of cold metal reached her fingertips.
So she's not wearing the gloves yet?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SingerOfW posted:

She specifically explains in DR1 that her gloves are custom-made to not interfere with her daily life and detective work, so one could assume they're thin enough to let her fingers feel temperatures and textures.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SingerOfW posted:

That part seems slightly suspicious, given that we see her wearing the gloves in the past year's photographs. Assuming Kirigiri's telling the truth about how her hands got burnt, something must be happening that's causing her not to wear them, considering how she was wearing them all the time around her classmates, or it may just be a red herring and she actually can feel the cold through to her fingertips.

Also just wondering, does the book call her 'Kyouko' simply for the sake of differentiating her from her father? Similiarly, is there any particular rhyme or reason why the name calls Junko by her full name, rather than just 'Enoshima'? Do other novelisations in Japan also follow this trend when referring to multiple characters with the same last name?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I can pretty easily tell temperature and even mild textures through my drumming gloves which are the typical thickness of leather - safe to assume she's feeling through the material. (Assuming it's her and not her father.)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

I can pretty easily tell temperature and even mild textures through my drumming gloves which are the typical thickness of leather - safe to assume she's feeling through the material. (Assuming it's her and not her father.)

Why do you wear drumming gloves? If you don't have blood on your snare drum you're doing it wrong. :colbert:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
If Junko isn't moving the bodies, then who i- ... of course. :argh: drat you, Togami!

RefinedUndefined posted:

And apparantly Junko has SHSL Weapon Modification skills, crazy strength, ninja-like stealth abilities and an inability to remember her classmate's name. Seriously Dangan Ronpa? Also, just who is moving those bodies, if not Junko or Mukuro?

Yeah. I mean, I know she has to win because this is the prequel, but really, she's loading up on a ton of different superpowers? That kinda makes her so invincible that she's boring.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 17, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RefinedUndefined posted:

I'm willing to put most of that stuff down to her being Mukuro's sister. DR0 is still pretty bad, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 17, 2013

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Waffleman_ posted:

I assume it's because Junko herself is not the vital part to understanding what will happen in DR2. Probably something more like explaining what this class of Hope's Peak is all about 'cause as far as we know, DR1's cast was supposedly the only survivors.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RefinedUndefined posted:

Togami, duh.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.

SingerOfW posted:

As far as I know, you can remove gloves :ssh:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm happy to see Kirigiri, but seriously, this elevates Junko to absurd superpowered comic book villain levels. While making her LESS understandable. I hope the most despairing incident isn't just Junko killing a bunch of people, because that would be kind of underwhelming at this point.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
I like that despite Junko's crazy overpoweredness, someone still has the drop on her, quite literally stealing her kills. It is the only source of tension in this novel right now, though.

The Amnesiac is really just wandering about with no sense of purpose (how can she, though?), and all of her sections inevitably circle back around to forgetting everything but her crush on Brain-dude. All the others who are investigating the Despair Incident are getting killed or attacked, so no headway there.

I'm a bit lost in narrative time, though. Probably because of the staggered release of the chapters. Is this happening on consecutive nights, or the same night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Why do you wear drumming gloves? If you don't have blood on your snare drum you're doing it wrong. :colbert:

I use polymer sticks - they have no form of grip so my calluses are too 'smooth' to hold them if I hit too hard too fast. The gloves provide the grip I need. If I use wooden sticks I don't use gloves, but the polymers are about twice the price for eight times the longevity. If you want to discuss this further take it to the drumming thread in Musicians Lounge~.

Still can't decide if it's Hanamura as the culprit or not. The signs point to him but I can't tell if it's misdirection or if I'm imagining misdirection because it's Fukuyama Jun of all people and I don't expect him to be killed off so 'easily' - although it might well be part of the misdirection in itself.

• Locked thread