Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ledundead posted:

Ask and ye shall recieve.

Bravo, good sir, bravo. :golfclap:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009
I wonder whether Nekomaru will turn out to be circle-cat, correct-cat, wall-cat, zero-cat, S.S. Cat, or cat-cat (there's apparently a famous cat named Maru).

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Non-EuclideanCat posted:

(there's apparently a famous cat named Maru).

With good reason. :colbert:

I'd be cool with a character who was obsessed with hiding in boxes.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
So that wabbit thingy is called Monomi, right? Well, I have bad news for you:

(Image stolen from the Total War: Shogun 2 ROTS LP)

She's gonna murder people left and right. :tinfoil:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeek posted:

So that wabbit thingy is called Monomi, right? Well, I have bad news for you:

(Image stolen from the Total War: Shogun 2 ROTS LP)

She's gonna murder people left and right. :tinfoil:

Well she calls her self Usami.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Hahahaha it actually is Togami. Or at least, same name as Togami.

He reminds me of an anime version of Cartman.

Super Highschool Level Big Boned

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009

Portals posted:

With good reason. :colbert:

I'd be cool with a character who was obsessed with hiding in boxes.

SHSL Sneaking Mission

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Ledundead posted:

Heyo, first post on SA, figured I'd make sure it was worth it. So here's some fanart!

Mr. Francis York Morgan.
While on the beaches the sun can feel nice,
Beware, for soon comes trouble in Paradise.
So says Mr. Stewart.

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well she calls her self Usami.

I say that makes it all the more suspicious!

Slash_Prower posted:

Am I the only one who sees the similarities? They have different eye colors and hairstyles, but the resemblance is close enough that they're probably related, at least.

I noticed that as well. They do look weirdly similar, but seeing the side-by-side comparison in your post really solidified that idea for me. Owari really does look like a EVEN MORE hyper-sexualized Asahina. (with her hair down)

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Ledundead posted:

Ask and ye shall recieve.

Thanks a lot, guys. I only just stopped thinking about that line every time I mix in the coffee creamer. (Awesome art, though.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

slam5000 posted:

I say that makes it all the more suspicious!

I noticed that as well. They do look weirdly similar, but seeing the side-by-side comparison in your post really solidified that idea for me. Owari really does look like a EVEN MORE hyper-sexualized Asahina. (with her hair down)

Meaning we must have an Asahina expy in every game in this series.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Bravo, good sir, bravo. :golfclap:

I almost kinda wish it was Monobear but only to make an "MK in the coffee" joke -- even if it is a bit forced since the Mono-kuma name is kinda disfavored around here.

Baita
Oct 18, 2012

But it's not like this is the last time we'll have a chance to talk. We'll try again later.

ApplesandOranges posted:

[Glorious Character List of Amazingness]

Thanks for this, it'll definitely help me out like oren's character list from the other thread did in the beginning.
Personally, I want to just call Nagito 'Naegito' instead, but I'll hold off on doing something like that.
It's sort of easy for me to link the faces to the given names of all but Hinata, Souda, Nidai, and of course, Togami (though it's not like I don't have his full name memorized too, it's just that I'm much more used to Togami).

I remember someone going into an interesting explanation on why we ended up generally deciding on each person's given or family names in the DR1 thread, due to vowel placing and number of syllables. Completely forgot who that was though.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Ok, because this is apparently not clear to some of you: we have rules on the quality of posting! Here's the particularly relevant one to what's been going on in this thread:

"SA Forum Rules posted:

Before you reply: Before replying, please ask yourself the following question: "Does my reply offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?"

If you can answer "yes" to this, then please reply. If you cannot, then refrain from replying.

This is the crux of Something Awful, really. Post if you have something interesting or meaningful to contribute. Have you done something creative? Cool, share that poo poo. Have some insight or wish to contribute meaningful to conversation? Awesome, let's hear what you got. Actually well thought out speculation that has basis in facts? Let's hear it out, riddlemeister. These are things that have intrinsic value to people actually wanting to read this thread. It actually adds value to the Let's Play beyond the actual playthrough itself, you see.

orenronen is going out of his way to produce a quality, content-filled, and thorough Let's Play for you all. He is clearly busting his rear end in order to make this thing. Time. Effort. Talent. He is presenting a game you all want to see and be exposed to, and he is doing that presentation well.

So before you reply again here in the future, ask yourself this: is what I am replying to this thread with at all even remotely interesting or worthwhile at all in light of this? Is commenting on how many votes the thread has, making awful jokes, posting unrelated crap, so on and so forth, contributing to the conversation or topic in any meaningful fashion?

It isn't. So don't. Just as the act of making a Let's Play is itself an expression of creative talents and effort, so should your replies reflect such effort. Further disregard of this will result in dire consequences.

Thanks!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Hope's Peak Private Academy. An exclusive, government-sanctioned school accepting only students with exceptional abilities. Its stated goal is to raise the future "hope" of the nation, and for that reason, it became known as "The Academy of Hope". It’s a source of envy, as it’s common knowledge that one can gain great success in life just by being a Hope’s Peak graduate. Certainly, many Hope’s Peak graduates are now employed in high positions in every field of the professional world, so that statement is not an exaggeration.

There are two requirements to becoming a Hope’s Peak student:
One must be currently enrolled in a high school.
One must super-excel at their field of expertise.

Hope’s Peak doesn’t hold any standard entrance exams, as the academy insists that the things tested by these kind of exams are meaningless for its purposes. Instead, students are scouted for by the academy's staff, who serve as both educators and researchers of extraordinary human ability. Some say Hope's Peak Academy's faculty members are much like parents, who made it their life’s mission to find talent and nurture it in their children.

Right now, every member of that extraordinary faculty, as well as the academy itself, is facing an unprecedented, unparalleled crisis.

Hope’s Peak Academy’s faculty building is located in the academy’s eastern quarter, and is the only building on campus students are forbidden to enter. The corridors of that building, usually busy with staff members going back and forth, were now empty and engulfed in an unnatural silence. The laboratories, the private rooms, and the luxurious personal offices had all been abandoned. Every man and woman who usually occupies these locations were currently gathered in a single place.

Meeting room 13.

Hope’s Peak Academy’s largest meeting room is located on the top floor of the faculty building, and has a maximum capacity of over 300. Nevertheless, with every single faculty member attending, it was fully packed. Not a single empty seat remained next to the long tables lined across the room.

But, for such a huge crowd, the room was relatively quiet. Only a single person's voice could be heard. The voice of Hope's Peak Academy's headmaster, Jin Kirigiri.

He faced the assembled faculty members from his position at the foremost table, and read from a printout he held in his hand. He spoke in an unaffected tone of voice, a blank expression on his face. The words printed on the paper came out of his mouth as if he was nothing more than an automaton reading them out. As far as Kirigiri was concerned, that was his most important duty. It didn't matter how out of the ordinary the subject on hand was. No, he didn’t have any time to waste faced with the current state of confusion and unanswered questions. If they had time, there are much more important things they should have been doing --

A voice suddenly rose from the crowd. "Are you saying we're going to cover it up?"

Kirigiri raised his head, and saw three hundred people staring at him intently, waiting for a response.

It wasn’t a piercing stare. It was much more uncomfortable than that. Three hundred people stared at him as if they were one entity, and Kirigiri felt every hair on his body tingling. He turned his head toward the four people sitting to his right, trying to escape the stare. They were stationed at the same frontmost table he was, their faces unusually wrinkled. Their eyes were closed, making those wrinkly faces even wrinklier. From Kirigiri's position, it almost looked like the four faces in front of him was one huge, giant wrinkle.

The four members of Hope's Peak Academy's Steering Committee looked as if they were about to give up.

An unintentional bitter smile appeared on Kirigiri’s face. So that's how it’s going to be. Oh, well. It's not as if I expected anything else. With those feelings festering inside his heart, Kirigiri turned back towards the crowd’s stare. He put the paper aside. He was going to use his own words from now on.

"Let me make it perfectly clear", he emphasized. "We reached this decision after putting a lot of thought into the matter at the Hope's Peak Academy steering meeting that took place earlier today."

He felt the temperature in the room turning tepid. It was probably because every faculty member's body have grown stiff in attention. Kirigiri sipped from the cup in his hand, and continued.

"We understand, of course, how extremely irregular this decision is."

The wrinkly faces that were as much a part of the "we" he talked about as he was did not move an inch. It was as if they knew from the very beginning he was going to take the situation into his own hands.

"Make no mistake. We are not covering this incident up to escape responsibility. If I could end it all here and now by simply taking responsibility, I would do so in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, this particular incident cannot be dealt with that easily. It doesn’t even matter if each and every one of us ‘takes responsibility’. We’re dealing with a problem that exists in an entirely different dimension."

Kirigiri stopped for a moment, and finished his glass of water in a single gulp, trying to remain calm.

"...Don't get me wrong. I don’t think we are completely blameless here. If we were, that 'Parade' out there would not be taking place right now."

Kirigiri pointed a finger at the curtained window. Several people turned to look at it, a severe expression on their faces.

"That 'Parade' has been growing larger and larger lately. The people in it think we’re all despicable. Their opinion is not completely unfounded."

Kirigiri paused and moved his gaze across the room, looking at each of the faculty member’s faces as if what he was about to say was personally directed at them, individually.

“Nevertheless, I refuse to believe Hope’s Peak Academy’s thesis, that talent itself is humanity’s first and foremost hope, is wrong. You must realize that if information about this incident leaves the walls of this school, we are likely to lose it all. As far as I’m concerned, that would be a gigantic loss for the human race. Every one of our successful graduates I’ve spoken to feels the same way.”

At the mention of Hope’s Peak graduates, the crowd stirred a little.

“That’s the reason I and the members of Hope’s Peak Academy’s Steering Committee reached our decision... We concluded that this incident shouldn’t be made public after all.”

He took a peek at the old men, but they remained still. Their blank expressions made it look as if what was going on did not concern them.

“...As I said before, I know more than anyone how irregular this decision is. Nevertheless, we have a duty, both as educators and as scientists. The duty to protect talent. Should human talent become the target of public hostility, it would be a great tragedy. Furthermore, there is one more thing I want you all to remember.”

The three hundred faculty members waited in attention for Kirigiri’s next words.

“The crimes committed may be terrible, but it doesn’t change the fact that that student carries a very special brand of hope we raised all on our own.”

The color of the faculty’s eyes changed in an instant. They did not stir anymore. Everyone sat in complete silence. No one objected. No one could object. His words were narrow-minded, but they reflected the opinions of everyone in the room. They were all acting both as educators and as scientists, researching human talent. And, just like any other scientist becoming obsessed with their area of research, the staff of Hope’s Peak Academy were obsessed with talent. Anyone who did not share that obsession did not belong in Hope’s Peak.

That’s why they listened to Kirigiri’s words, and made their decision.

They had to protect their thesis. They had to protect the future they believed in. They had to protect the hope they believed in.

And so, they would do their best to cover up The Worst Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 13, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The situation in the last game already had parallels with Fallout regarding the whole "safety vault protecting people from the apocalypse", but that last entry in DR0 is on a whole different level. Just like Fallout, it seems that Hope's Peak isn't merely a refuge from the oncoming storm, it's partly a social experiment, what with all the references to "thesis" and "scientists". The difference, of course, is that Fallout's Vaults were straight-up experiments on people with the occasional crime against humanity. This one may have been destined for greater purposes.

On a side note, I hope people don't take this thread screaming into the Gas Chamber with them. The last thread got real bad, and slowbeef even showed his concern about it during one of the RetsuTalks. It's fun to be all hyped up with this new thing, but please don't run it into the ground; oren and Fedule deserve better than that.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 13, 2012

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Good to know that Japanese novels are not choke full of ellipses like most of their games do.

Also note this sentence:

quote:

“The crimes committed may be terrible, but it doesn’t change the fact that that student carries a very special brand of hope we raised all on our own.”

I will die laughing if they are referring to Junko (remember how she claims to be superior both physically and mentally in the last trial?)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

orenronen posted:

And so, they would do their best to cover up The Worst Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History.

Would it be too much to speculate that the Board's lack of ability to cover the above incident up is what led to Monoworld? It certainly ties in somewhat tenuously to the first DR0 entry- if Junko (not repeating the meme here, just so's we're clear) wanted news about said incident to get out, there were no lack of fellow students who had the ability, especially if the adults in charge weren't SHSL-anybodies (which is kind of odd, considering that Hope's Peak was in operation for hundreds of years).

Also, would it help to reduce clutter if we confined all speculation to the Dangan-Ronpa thread in Games? It would certainly help weed out those too :effort: to switch between forums (though I doubt there are many of those, especially with this subject matter); I don't recall a lot of spoiler-related stuff in there, at least now that we've started on the sequel and the first game is done.

Jeek posted:

I will die laughing if they are referring to Junko (remember how she claims to be superior both physically and mentally in the last trial?)

Those are just her claims though- as I recall, Naegi was officially the school's SHSL Hope, or at least enough of a wild card that anyone capable of detecting such amazing talent would have at least tried to get him on their side.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Those are just her claims though- as I recall, Naegi was officially the school's SHSL Hope, or at least enough of a wild card that anyone capable of detecting such amazing talent would have at least tried to get him on their side.

Except that Junko is actually able to fight Sakura via Monobear and do all the masterminding with the help of Mukuro?

As for Naegi, I think he is only called so in the last chapter and "SHSL Hope" is not his official title. He was invited for being SHSL Good Luck after all, and Junko did not mess with that part of his memory. (By the way, has it been explained why Kirigiri's and Naegi's title on their student ID automatically changes after certain trigger? It is very curious, especially for Naegi; his title only changes after the trial, so theoretically nobody could have done so.

Or I may be over thinking after all and it is just a little bonus from the game itself.

Last but not the least, has anyone got the tumblr link for checking the updates? Much as I love the speculations, I am afraid I cannot keep up this time.

EDIT: It's Twitter? :doh: No wonder I couldn't find it. It is only reasonable that such a great service is hosted by something better than Tumblr.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 13, 2012

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

CommissarMega posted:

Also, would it help to reduce clutter if we confined all speculation to the Dangan-Ronpa thread in Games? It would certainly help weed out those too :effort: to switch between forums (though I doubt there are many of those, especially with this subject matter); I don't recall a lot of spoiler-related stuff in there, at least now that we've started on the sequel and the first game is done.

I fear not. For one, the General thread allows spoilers, so already you've lost equal footing. There's a very good reason threads like this have a blanket ban on all spoilers - even when the individual details are kept obscured (and making the admittedly dangerous assumption that no one will slip up, ever), it just isn't fair to have discussions with people who know the plot with people who don't.

People, please. This isn't difficult. All you have to do is make sure that your post adds something to the ongoing discussion.

The wise man speaks because there is something he must say.
The foolish man speaks because he must say something.
The probated man spoke because, guys, he was totally pumped for Dangan Ronpa 2.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Jeek posted:

Last but not the least, has anyone got the tumblr link for checking the updates? Much as I love the speculations, I am afraid I cannot keep up this time.
There is a twitter account you can follow for updates from both orenronen and Fedule: https://twitter.com/did_dr2_update

orenronen posted:

The color of the faculty’s eyes changed in an instant. They did not stir anymore. Everyone sat in complete silence. No one objected. No one could object. His words were narrow-minded, but they reflected the opinions of everyone in the room. They were all acting both as educators and as scientists, researching human talent. And, just like any other scientist becoming obsessed with their area of research, the staff of Hope’s Peak Academy were obsessed with talent. Anyone who did not share that obsession did not belong in Hope’s Peak.

That’s why they listened to Kirigiri’s words, and made their decision.

They had to protect their thesis. They had to protect the future they believed in. They had to protect the hope they believed in.

By the Worst Incident, I assume they mean the massacre that the students discovered towards the end of DR1 that led to the school's shut-down. That, coupled with the mention of that student and "the crimes they committed might be terrible" (assuming that student isn't Junko, which would be some mix of hilarious and sad), seems to suggest that "that student" was the one ultimately responsible for the murders. At the very least, I recall Junko/Monobear saying she wasn't the one who committed those murders.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 13, 2012

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Jeek posted:

Would that be the same tumblr that was leeching images before?

All you have to do is check back every now and then, hit the ? at the bottom left corner of Oren's OP, and then it shows only his posts in the thread. Then just use his links to other people's worthwhile posts.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Fedule posted:

The wise man speaks because there is something he must say.
The foolish man speaks because he must say something.
The probated man spoke because, guys, he was totally pumped for Dangan Ronpa 2.

This sounds a lot like a Winson Paine probation reason. I like it.

Some of the names are driving me batty. There's a couple that were too long and flashed by too quickly for me to even pick up. However, I think this Togami is not "our" Togami; if Mukuro can get around with a false name, what's stopping any other impostor?

Rotwang Gorbochoff
Sep 24, 2010

For her, all seven deadly sins!
Oh drat new Danganronpa LP hope I'm not too late. I got to say that this already looks great and I'd like to call the motives for killing being either the Island is booby-trapped or Monomi has a split personality. I would also like to say that I really hope Ibuki Mioda makes it to at least half way before dying for some insanely ridiculous reason.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Raitzeno posted:

Some of the names are driving me batty. There's a couple that were too long and flashed by too quickly for me to even pick up. However, I think this Togami is not "our" Togami; if Mukuro can get around with a false name, what's stopping any other impostor?

Your entire reasoning is based on very weird circumstances? I mean, it's not like Mukuro was some random schmuck, she was Junko's twin sister in on the plan as SHSL Despair. We literally have nothing to base the "It's not Togami" theory on anything other than he's fat and wearing white now, which does not warrant any real suspicion unless you think getting fat is suspicious.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raitzeno posted:

Super Dangan Ronpa 2 Togami has Togami's mannerisms down perfectly, for starters. Each of the sprites we've seen so far is exactly like Togami's from Dangan Ronpa, if he gained 300 pounds. It's still very early game as well, and that means there's not much to base theories on at the moment.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Your entire reasoning is based on very weird circumstances? I mean, it's not like Mukuro was some random schmuck, she was Junko's twin sister in on the plan as SHSL Despair. We literally have nothing to base the "It's not Togami" theory on anything other than he's fat and wearing white now, which does not warrant any real suspicion unless you think getting fat is suspicious.

It's more that, aside from being fat, he looks absolutely no different. What's the time difference between this and DR1? (Have they mentioned that yet? If not, don't answer that yet.) It normally takes a while to get *that* fat, and I realize we have the whole "anime age" thing going on, but surely they'd have changed something... at the very least, why is he in a class full of (I am also assuming here) freshmen if he's a year ahead? I rather doubt he got held back a year or something.

Something here is not quite kosher, one way or another. I feel like he's a bit too close to the original.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Jeek posted:

I doubt it. As for why:

Dangan Ronpa Zero posted:

A series of gears and switches began moving deep inside her skull, sparking pitch black thoughts. A certain object floated up inside her mind. A face. It was a face she knew, of course. The face of a fellow student at Hope's Peak Academy.

I think Kirigiri and Junko are referring to the same student, who carries a special brand of hope. We can't have that many "that students" running around.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

It's more that, aside from being fat, he looks absolutely no different. What's the time difference between this and DR1? (Have they mentioned that yet? If not, don't answer that yet.) It normally takes a while to get *that* fat, and I realize we have the whole "anime age" thing going on, but surely they'd have changed something... at the very least, why is he in a class full of (I am also assuming here) freshmen if he's a year ahead? I rather doubt he got held back a year or something.

Something here is not quite kosher, one way or another. I feel like he's a bit too close to the original.

One logical explanation is that it's a prequel and he lost weight prior to having his memory erased at the start of DR1. However, I think such a twist wouldn't be very interesting or meaningful in its own right. Something as exotic as the original's time skip and memory wipe is more likely.

His behavior would make for a more compelling clue than his appearance; we could get some better idea of whether he (and, for that matter, Anagram Naegi) finds any of this familiar, but we haven't really had a chance to get to know him yet, apart from a few off-hand mood-establishing interjections.

We don't have enough to work with yet, and since we have to wait for orenoren and Fedule to translate and post any more clues, we're going to be waiting a while until we do. Hence the repeated injunctions against wild speculation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Now that I Know all the Characters names, I am now predicting what we are going to be calling each character.

Hajime Hinata = Hinata
Chiaki Nanami = Chiaki
Sonia Nevermind = Sonia
Akane Owari = Akane
Hiyoko Saionji = Saionji
Kazuichi Souda = Souda
Mahiru Koizumi = Koizumi
Teruteru Hanamura = Hanamura
Nagito Komaeda = Nagito
Nekomaru Nidai = Nidai
Ibuki Mioda = Ibuki
Peko Pekoyama = Peko
Mikan Tsumiki = Mikan
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu = Kuzuryuu
Byakuya Togami = Togami

No portrait Gundam Tanaka = Gundam

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Ha ha ha... wow, it's opposite day. That's certainly an interesting approach for the sequel. They've also immediately opened the door for the characters to start speculating about weird stuff, since their last memories were of entering the school and then they're on an island.

Is there a tindeck link for the DR2 theme music?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Ha ha ha... wow, it's opposite day. That's certainly an interesting approach for the sequel. They've also immediately opened the door for the characters to start speculating about weird stuff, since their last memories were of entering the school and then they're on an island.

Is there a tindeck link for the DR2 theme music?

From the first update: http://tindeck.com/listen/jyjw

It's very similar to the first game's theme music, but with some different instrumentation in places.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 13, 2012

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Wow that DR0 update was very interesting.
One of the things I got from it is that there were two incidents at work:

-The Worst Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History mentioned here.

-The Worst, Most Despair- induncing Acident in the History of Mankind mentioned in DR1.

I will take a gamble and say that the fact that the first one was covered up led to the creation of the second thanks to SHSL Despair, and that "parade"(riots maybe?) had something to do with it.
Also I assume that the first one is connected to the bloody classroom in DR1 since we never found out what caused so I guess now that it was a student that went kill crazy in there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Have they dropped the SHSL titles for DR2? Or is it something we'll see in a later update? (Just wondering as it only gave the names in the opening credits video, compared to the original going through them with "Name: X, SHSL: Y" at the start)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have they dropped the SHSL titles for DR2? Or is it something we'll see in a later update? (Just wondering as it only gave the names in the opening credits video, compared to the original going through them with "Name: X, SHSL: Y" at the start)

Well, the cast haven't even introduced themselves to each other yet. So I think it's a little premature to start wondering whether they have titles, based on the style of the "credits" video. Remember that with Naegi, he went and looked all his classmates up, so we already knew all about them beforehand.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
An interesting thing to note is that all the faculty were apparently in on the coverup. What happened to all of them, then? Why was Jin the only one in the school/how did Monobear get his bones for the present?

Man, DR2's designs are wacky as hell, and that's coming off DR1. Operating purely from character design, I hope Peko and Akane at least make it to the end; Peko for being the most Kirigiri of the lot, and Akane because I want the dumb sex appeal character to actually turn out cool.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
You know what I want? ...Aside from a Peko avatar, I mean.

While I was really happy over DR1's survivor rate and that my favorite character made it to the end, I'd like an over all proactive group to make it to the finale this time. One of my hang ups (in retrospect) over DR1 was that Aoi, Hakagure and Fukawa/Syo were kinda/sorta reduced to a bunch of talking heads compared to the detective onslaught driven by Kirigiri, Togami and Naegi after the third trial onward. They really didn't do too much in the end beyond being part of a peanut gallery you had to convince how to vote.

For this game, what I'd like to see is a few characters form a clique of investigators. Gonna hold off on speculating which among them would go for that, but it'd be boss if there was a duo/trio of investigative minds, NOT including Hinata, who all look at each other and go "holy poo poo, we need to DO something about this murder business or every drat day's going to be that much crazier.

How they'd perform could be a wild card factor, but really, I'm just reminded of how Ishimaru (God rest his soul) actually *had*a great idea by suggesting people reveal their secrets prior to the second trial. Even though it didn't work, that kinda initiative was refreshing; I'd just like to see the characters this time DO more like that.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

orenronen posted:

The second example is from a much more thoroughly localized game. Detective Itonokogiri ends his sentences with a casual, easygoing -ssu, and Gumshoe replicates the feeling by throwing "pal"s everywhere. Since there is an actual -ssu character in SDR2, I will expand on this when we get to them.
Huh. I haven't played Gyakuten Saiban (in Japanese), but I do know that NIS ended up with a very similar decision. Most prinnies end their sentences with "-ssu", and so they changed it to "dood". Keep in mind that "dude" and "pal" can be considered synonyms, and you got a very interesting case of a translation hivemind.

Raitzeno posted:

It's more that, aside from being fat, he looks absolutely no different.
His suit is white :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TKMobile posted:

You know what I want? ...Aside from a Peko avatar, I mean.

While I was really happy over DR1's survivor rate and that my favorite character made it to the end, I'd like an over all proactive group to make it to the finale this time. One of my hang ups (in retrospect) over DR1 was that Aoi, Hakagure and Fukawa/Syo were kinda/sorta reduced to a bunch of talking heads compared to the detective onslaught driven by Kirigiri, Togami and Naegi after the third trial onward. They really didn't do too much in the end beyond being part of a peanut gallery you had to convince how to vote.

For this game, what I'd like to see is a few characters form a clique of investigators. Gonna hold off on speculating which among them would go for that, but it'd be boss if there was a duo/trio of investigative minds, NOT including Hinata, who all look at each other and go "holy poo poo, we need to DO something about this murder business or every drat day's going to be that much crazier.

How they'd perform could be a wild card factor, but really, I'm just reminded of how Ishimaru (God rest his soul) actually *had*a great idea by suggesting people reveal their secrets prior to the second trial. Even though it didn't work, that kinda initiative was refreshing; I'd just like to see the characters this time DO more like that.

To be fair, almost all the trials were like this - beyond the 'culprit' and Kirigiri/Togami, Naegi had to pretty much steer everyone down the right track. It's just a lot more noticeable when the cast was whittled down to 6 people.

I think when you have a fairly large cast, there's bound to be some hand-holding along the way, and having one or two characters like that near the end would be pretty useful for the player themself, as a bit of a step-by-step walkthrough to solving the case. I do agree that having half of a survivor group be completely useless was a bust though. They might not be very smart in trials, but as long as they did something during the investigation phases I'd be satisfied.

Also, I'm kind of dreading the first case where everyone's going to be full of crazy theories when it'll most likely just be a simple tutorial case (11037!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duchess Shrimp
Dec 13, 2012

Exercu posted:

I doubt it. As for why:

I think Kirigiri and Junko are referring to the same student, who carries a special brand of hope. We can't have that many "that students" running around.

Finally made an account because I have something to add.

There's a nagging question at the back of my mind: Why did Santa not only get an image in the artbook, but was also featured in the big rear end fighting game style image on the DR website? (The one with Leon's huge melting face.)

What if: Santa is the student in question, who caused The Worst Incident in the History of Hope's Peak Academy? That would explain why he's such a major character but doesn't appear in-game: I don't think Headmaster Kirigiri would have locked him in with the others. (This is also why I don't think the source of the Worst Incident is one of the DR1 characters - if Genocider Syo, for example, was the cause of the bloody classroom, why would you lock her in with the rest of your super talented last hopes and risk losing them all?)

Then again, the headmaster was very concerned with protecting that student.

• Locked thread