Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It is a pretty bad minigame. I got bored with it before I even reached the first boss. Great premise, sure, but terrible implementation.

It looks like you actually can't jump on the Monobeast when you've transformed into Usami. Maybe you're supposed to use the trail of magic/tree/whirlwind attack in that forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Well, I played Thin Ice a bunch when I was little so maybe that has something to do with it.

slowbeef posted:

It looks like you actually can't jump on the Monobeast when you've transformed into Usami. Maybe you're supposed to use the trail of magic/tree/whirlwind attack in that forum.

That's correct.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Anatharon posted:

That's correct.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I got some jumps to hit while in Usami form while playing the game, and none of the walkthroughs on the Internet or the section about the minigame in the official art book mention anything about jumps being ineffective as Usami. I think it's just that this particular boss is very difficult to hit while it's doing one particular attack pattern. I had difficulty hitting it even as Monomi at that stage until I moved away to make it change patterns.

The problem with magic circling this boss without stunning it first is that it's usually no longer where you thought it would be by the time you complete the circle.

Jynxite
May 1, 2013

RoeCocoa posted:

It's the exterior of a famous building in the middle of a big city. All of the current students could have (and probably did) see the outside of Hope's Peak lots of times before they started attending school there.

A famous building in ruins, thus making it a LOT harder to recognize.
However, I didn't think of that point, in all honesty, so I'll concede the validity of your statement, as you have a very good point. This is actually reminding me of something Sonia said; something about artificial islands? Either way, if the island is artificial, the building is most likely artificial as well.

Actually, if the building is REAL... does that mean most of Japan is underwater? What does this mean?
On that strain, I'm going to mention a pet idea of mine that someone else mentioned first: this is all a simulation. A computer game, if you will. This is a majority of why I feel Nanami will either die soon, or she'll become crucial in designing their escape from this virtual world. After all, she is an SHSL Gamer, so she probably knows the ins and outs of virtual realities like the back of her hand. This also provides a couple of interesting parallels to Monobear being a virus, and Monomi being the tutorial/crutch character.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

orenronen posted:

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I got some jumps to hit while in Usami form while playing the game, and none of the walkthroughs on the Internet or the section about the minigame in the official art book mention anything about jumps being ineffective as Usami. I think it's just that this particular boss is very difficult to hit while it's doing one particular attack pattern. I had difficulty hitting it even as Monomi at that stage until I moved away to make it change patterns.

The problem with magic circling this boss without stunning it first is that it's usually no longer where you thought it would be by the time you complete the circle.

Er, I miscommunicated. You're supposed to circle with Usami as far as I can tell because you don't need to worry about getting hit. I'm almost certain random enemies, at least can be killed with jumps as Usami so I don't see why bosses wouldn't be hurt by it.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

orenronen posted:

It looked to me like there was no hit detection at all as Usami, you just went through everything, which is why jumping was totally ineffective. There were no points in that video where you successfully jumped on it as Usami, it never happened. Not to say it doesn't work, just that it didn't work... It's easy to see why people would jump to that conclusion without having played the game.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Adelheid posted:

It's easy to see why people would jump to that conclusion without having played the game.

Except Anatharon has played the game. :confused:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Beautiful Ruin

The first order of business is to check what's on those shelves.

The shelves are packed with what look like medicine.

They're not like the ones I'm used to in Japan. The labels seem much more... aggressive.

Hawa... Hawawawa!
W...What is it?

Ah... I'm sorry... I got so excited I just started yelling.

Uyu... I just get so very very happy when people start talking to me...
Until now... everyone always either thought I was gross or simply hated me...

I'm not sure which choice is better...

More importantly... is this a pharmacy? Sure is a big one.

But... I guess there's no one here either.

Um... now that I have access to this much medicine, I think I can take care of most wounds and illnesses...

Hee hee... when you are not feeling well, come to me, okay? I'll give you lots of shots...
Lots and lots and loooooots of shots!

That's just plainly dangerous! If there's one thing I don't want... it's a shot from her!

Before we go on, there's one more thing in this pharmacy.

One more hidden Monobear. This one is very easy to miss. It's almost invisible unless you know where to look. Moving on.

The sign says "diner". I'm not that good with English, but I think this means it's some kind of a restaurant.

Well... I guess I should look inside.

Huh? The person over there...

Oh, it's you.

Can't you see I'm eating?! Scram, you shithead!

Kuzuryuu held a burger in one hand and shouted at me.

Wait... how come he's even here?
He wasn't in the restaurant earlier... how come he knows about this new island?

Obviously, we're going to ignore his requests to leave him alone and try talking to him anyway.

Hey, how come you're here? How did you find out we can go to this island?

What are you, a monkey? Can't you understand human language?

I thought I just told you to leave me alone while I'm eating!

Hmph. That meddling idiot... showed up and started blabbering about it.

Meddling idiot...?

So I came over here, found this place, and came in for a bite since I was hungry.

There. Satisfied? Great. Now, get lost.
Hey, about that "meddling idiot"...

Aa?! I've had enough of you! This has nothing to do with you!
Of course it has something to do with me.
I don't know what’s on your mind, but... The fact remains that we're all in the same situation. Stuck here on this island together.
And that's not all. There's no one else on this island but us. We have no choice but to work together.
I'm sure you know that as well as the rest of us... So, why...
Why are you avoiding us?!

Feh. It's not like I'm avoiding you because you're so special.
...I decided some time ago to stop relying on anyone.
...What?

Not even on the Kuzuryuu family... I'm going to go on living without depending on their power...
Wait...
Did you...?

Oh, don't get me wrong. I’m yakuza through and through. It's not like I hate the idea of inheriting leadership of the family or anything.
It's just that... I got a point to make. I’m gonna prove that I can do things alone, without relying on anyone.

...It's not like the family will go to ruin without me there, anyway. My little sister will be more than happy to take my place.
Oh...? You have a little sister?

S...Shut up! Who gave you permission to talk about that?!

I...It was you who brought it up...

Anyway, I have no intention of hanging out with any of you idiots. It's not like teaming up is even the best idea here.
I...It's not...?

Hmf. No, it’s not.
In the situation we're in, sticking with other people just means shortening your own life span.
Both Togami and Hanamura are proof of that. They concerned themselves with other people... and look what happened to them.

Besides, all those dumb feelings would just get in the way when the time comes to kill!
Y...You're not still saying that, are you?

Of course I am. I'm willing to sacrifice as many lives as necessary to save my own.
Even if you don't really mean that, that's a very low thing to say...!

Oh? So you decided to talk to me against my will and now you're getting all angry?
If you're that easily offended, you shouldn’t have bothered me. Now, hurry up and get lost.

W...What the hell? I was an idiot trying to talk to him.

Yeah, I don't think we'll get much more out of him. Let's explore some more outside.

The diner sign is spinning...

A spinning sign in an island with no people... That just feels wrong.

Music stops

...UGYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

...A scream?!

I think that was... Ibuki's voice right now!

Re: Weekly Shonen Despair Magazine

Chandler Beach is another 3D area. Here's how its map looks:

But first, we have to find out what's up.

shock shock shock shock shock shock
What's wrong, Ibuki?! Did something happen?!

it's terrible!
so terrible ibuki has no time to capitalize her lines!
What happened?

M...Mutual killing... People are mutual killing again!
What?!

Look! Over there!

I turned and looked over at the section of the beach Ibuki was pointing at.

Re: Living to the Fullest

Dadadadadadadadadadada!
You rely too much on speed! Where is the form?! Your punches are all far too soft!

...W...What the hell?!

The way you apply your raw strength is no good! You were given an incredibly flexible body, and you’re throwing it away!
Shut up! None of this stuff matters if I win! All I have to do is win!
Oh? You think you can take me?
DON’T... BE... ABSUUUUUUUUUUUUUURD!!

GUWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Beautiful Ruin

...How about it? Do you understand now?!

It’s over! The battle's been won with Nekomaru Nidai's killer technique, the Super Body Blow!
That means instant death! At the very most, she has 5 more minutes to live!

Owari... This is as far as your strength will take you. You cannot even win against a mere coach.
W...What the hell?! What was that fight all about?!

Ku... That was no “fight”.

Sure wasn't! More like a straight-up beatdown!
T...That's even worse!
The field trip's rules prohibit excessive violence, remember?

This has nothing to do with violence! That was no real battle! We were training!
It sure looked real!

Ku... I am just a coach, am I not? What makes you think I'm even capable of a real battle?

As long as both sides consent, training is training! We did not budge an inch from the rules!!
L...Let's say you didn't, but... why this training all of a sudden?

Pfeh... I...If you insist on asking...

Ah! She's alive!

Of course she is. That amount of beating is not enough to bring someone like her down.

H...He seemed like a strong dude... and I couldn't hold myself anymore...
I thought if I didn't have a good fight soon I'd lose my mind... Feh. And I lost.

There sure are lots of strong people in this world!

They sure are a troubled bunch, that warrior race!

Owari... You seem to be the type who learns with your body instead of through words...
Therefore, I will give you just one piece of advice.
The way you use your body and your physical strength... your timing and intervals are all mediocre.
You have a talent worthy of being called a "Super High-school Level Gymnast", yet you do not even begin to apply it to its full extent.

The basics! You must work on your basics! If you just keep relying on intuition you will never rise to be first class!

S...Shut up... Dammit...

When you finally understand the meaning of my words, come back to me. When you do... I will fight you again.

Don't think I'll forget that promise. I absolutely hate to lose.
I won't give up until I beat you!

Owari left the beach, tottering unsteadily.

Nevertheless... My hand is still numb. To come this far with only raw talent... There is something prodigious about her.

Much potential does Ibuki sense in that one...

Yes. Much potential.

...What the hell are they talking about?

Beats me. Moving further into the beach...

Hidden Monobear #3 for this chapter! Turning backwards, the central area of this beach is occupied by a large beach house.

I thought this would be a simple beach house, but instead it's excessively luxurious.

A celebrity-edition beach house... or something like that.

As opposed to the other areas in this update, there are actually quite a few things to look at here, starting with this trash can.

There's a trash can here... but I have no trash to put in it.

There's a large amount of drinks lined up on the shelves. There's water, canned coffee...
Many of them have worryingly unhealthy looking colors...

Are we... getting these drinks for free?

There's a bench here. The kind you find at resorts, just a little fancy.

That looks like a closet. Um... inside is...

...Oh, it's a small walk-in closet used for storage.

It seems like there are some surfboards on the shelves inside... but since I know nothing about watersports, there nothing for me there.

There seems to be a shower room behind this door.

There's a notice on the door, though, with something written in English on it...
As far as I can tell from the illustration, it's currently under construction or renovations.

The other two doors are the two exits from the beach house. You can exit toward the beach or through the back door, which is facing the tunnel leading back to the diner.

Hey, this place is nice, isn't it? I feel like a celebrity or something.
OK, the shower’s busted, but the atmosphere’s pretty great... and the drinks’re free!

Heh heh... And on top of that, the beach is right outside. And it's a proper private beach, too!
It’s nothing like those so-called “beaches” back in the city... trash and rubble everywhere...
Well, there's no one but us on these islands, so... isn’t every beach here a private beach?

Oi, oi... don't say things like that! You’re gonna ruin my mood!

More importantly, how ‘bout we treat ourselves to a swim here later?!

That’d be great! Swimming in such a gorgeous ocean is the best!

He's as easygoing as always... Well, I guess it's not such a bad thing.

Sigh... I wonder if Sonia-san’d come too... I wanna see her in a swimsuit...

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

You can't!

Whoa! She's here!

I mean, why not?! D’you think you can interfere with our growing love affair?!

It is forbidden to change clothes in the beach house! If someone decides to shamelessly peek, it would be tewibble!
Aha... so it's not about swimming. We just can't change into swimsuits over here...

Well, you ain’t stopping me! We’ll just change at the hotel, then come here! When life gives you lemons, you make Limoncello!
Lemonade. You make lemonade.

In any case, you can't bweak the wules. Besides, it's fine if you want to have fun but don't forget your studies...

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

W...Where is it?! Who's breaking the rules?! I'll blow them away right now, no questions asked!

Kyaa! He's here!

W...What the hell are you carrying...?
*Pant, pant*... A machine gun, of course...
Shooting down whoever's breaking the rules... that's just common sense, isn't it!

What's common sense about that?! That's more like a military dictatorship!

Aww... I wanted to shoot it so much... I know that I can't... but I really want to!

H...Have some self-contwol!

I... shall endure. I have an iron will, so I can endure until someone breaks some rules!

Beautiful Ruin

U...Um... As you can see, it is very dangewous, so please wefrain from changing at the beach house.

...The hell was that all about...? Anyway... They're both really annoying...
...Yeah. I've gotten really tired all of a sudden.

Ah, now that I think about it...

When we talked about Komaeda back at the restaurant, Souda was clearly restless.

I should ask him about that.

Ah, speaking of... I just remembered there's something I want to ask you.

...Huh? What’s up?
You know, about Komaeda...

Eep?!
He's still nowhere to be found... Are you sure you know nothing about that?

I... I dunno nothin’... I told ya, don't ask me...

Anyway, who cares what happens to that mental weirdo!
Exploring this island’s far more important! There’s gotta be something here that can help us get back home!

So no more of this! Enough! Over and out!

He seems all too eager to end this conversation... Very suspicious.

...Ah, Hinata-kun.

Nanami... what's wrong?

Um... I'm calling everyone right now. Can you come to the ruins on this island, ASAP?
You can, can't you? Come quickly. Hurry up.

Um... She didn't even leave me time to answer, but I think she might have found some kind of clue.

So... I guess I should go to the ruins.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 11, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Should've known Nidai'd put Owari through her paces at some point. :allears:

Not much really happened this update beyond Nidai and Owari, but it's good to get a little bit more exposition on Kuzuryuu.

And how does Ibuki speak in the original version instead of capitalizing?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

orenronen posted:

They're not like the ones I'm used to in Japan. The labels seem much more... aggressive.

SKUL-CREEM: THE HEADACHE MUTILATOR

Apply directly to the forehead.

On another note, that diner sign was loving creepy. Something about this end of the island seems very American -- between the "aggressively" named medicines, the American-styled diner, and the weirdly-colored sport drinks. It's definitely trying to go with some theme.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 10, 2013

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It's interesting that Kuzuryuu brought up a sister there. Is it possible she's on the island? With mind-wipe shenanigans. Maybe Sainoji?

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012
Nidai is as great as ever :allears:

Guess it says something about the lack of action, but this update is reminding me how much I love this game's art style. The beach house and the diner are pretty loving cool looking, you can tell they had a bigger budget and just went to town. I still think a big sunny island was a weird choice for a murder-mystery game, but at least it's nice to look at.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I bet that shower isn't broken. It's most likely where they're keeping Komeda, and now I'm pretty sure Monomi is in on it as well. That trash can is also suspicious.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The beach house is probably going to be critical to the next murder, given the amount of detail that went into it.

Also watching that fight was great. I'm enjoying both of their characters! :allears:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There definitely won't be a murder at the beach house, no sir. Special rules regarding what you can do there with lethal consequences plus examinable trashcans? Why, that guarantees no one will be killed there, ever!

e:f;b

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

SKUL-CREEM: THE HEADACHE MUTILATOR

Apply directly to the forehead.

I dunno, I was picturing something more like this.

If it weren't for the implication that the beach house was a more 'public' area I would've assumed that was how Sonia would've decorated her personal cottage.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Considering the attention given to it, I suppose the beach house a likely candidate for the next crime location.

E: Turns out this point has been made a couple of times already!

In any case, the designers have a lot more freedom with area design now that the cast isn't confined in a school, must've been fun to throw ideas around.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 10, 2013

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I bet that shower isn't broken. It's most likely where they're keeping Komeda, and now I'm pretty sure Monomi is in on it as well. That trash can is also suspicious.

Monomi was mostly there to voice her objections to the swimsuit changing idea, and that was Souda's idea and he's obviously crazy involved with these shenanigans. Also the shower had a sign on it, but it was in a foreign language. Nidai and Souda seem like the types who could only barely make a sign like that in their own language. And even then I get the suspicion that it would just be the words "SHOWER BROKEN, NO TIED UP DUDES INSIDE SO DON'T LOOK!! -SOUDA, AGE 6" written in crayon.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but if Mikan is SHSL, that means she's extraordinarily gifted in her field. Shouldn't that mean she's qualified as a Doctor, rather than a nurse?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Calico Heart posted:

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but if Mikan is SHSL, that means she's extraordinarily gifted in her field. Shouldn't that mean she's qualified as a Doctor, rather than a nurse?

What do you think nurses are? The larval stage of doctors?

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
Monobear's new sprites just keep getting better and better as time goes on.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Calico Heart posted:

Would you trust her with surgery and the like?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Calico Heart posted:

How this game defines talent and the parameters of it are pretty shaky. Lets just look at it this way: Mikan is an excellent nurse and is trained in nursing to the highest caliber even though she's a high school student. But, what a doctor does and what a nurse does are very different things. So there may be a SHSL Doctor somewhere out there that is more qualified than she is. "SHSL X" is just a title. What someone does as a SHSL seems to vary from talent to talent.

I mean look at Akane as a good example. She's more like a SHSL Fighter than a Gymnast.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

orenronen posted:

curiousCat posted:

It's interesting that Kuzuryuu brought up a sister there. Is it possible she's on the island? With mind-wipe shenanigans. Maybe Sainoji?

I can see the resemblance between them, but I can't see it as plausible that they wouldn't recognize each other.

...unless they do and just aren't saying anything. But that'd take things into dangerously fanficcy levels of wild speculation.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Looks like they might be confirming whether or not those ruins are a Hope's Peak knockoff or just random ruins in the next update then. A nice little bit of despair and confusion.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If it weren't for the fact that they weren't seemingly aware of the island being available at the time he'd have disappeared, I'd believe you. I mean... that trash can is suspicious.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Calico Heart posted:

Being exceptionally good at changing catheters, charting, and obtaining patient compliance doesn't transfer over to skill in diagnosis, indecipherable handwriting, and a god complex.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

You forget that she's pretty much the medic here, and stated that she could treat most wounds and illnesses. I think that's what Calico Heart was getting at.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
2 pairs, confirmed. Two more that seem likely are Peko/Kuzuryuu (she keeps making an effort to talk with him) and Nagito/Hinata.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Serious Frolicking posted:

2 pairs, confirmed. Two more that seem likely are Peko/Kuzuryuu (she keeps making an effort to talk with him) and Nagito/Hinata.
What is this comment even supposed to mean?

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

lotus circle posted:

What is this comment even supposed to mean?
He's playing poker with a Dangan Ronpa deck, clearly.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Conro101 posted:

He's playing poker with a Dangan Ronpa deck, clearly.

I'd kill for a Dangan Ronpa deck of cards.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Oh my goodness: Nidai vs. Akane, some background story on Kuzuryuu, Souda clearly being up to something regarding Komaeda, Monobear with a machine-gun... this update had it all. :allears:

TroubleHalved
May 10, 2013
akane makes me miss sakura and asahina. :unsmith:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

RefinedUndefined posted:

I'd kill for a Dangan Ronpa deck of cards.

A lot of good that would do you when we figure out you're the culprit. :colbert:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Monobear bursting in with a loving gun is the best thing and made me forget about the training fight for a good minute. That loving bear.

This also got a laugh out of me. Dudes seriously got some crazy shark teeth.

BigDB
Mar 21, 2013

orenronen posted:

Much potential does Ibuki sense in that one...

Did Ibuki have a Yoda moment here? Either way this made me laugh pretty hard.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

RefinedUndefined posted:

Would you trust her with surgery and the like?

Well, I wouldn't trust my GP with surgery either, but he's definitely a doctor. At least I hope he is.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

orenronen posted:

it's terrible!
so terrible ibuki has no time to captialize her lines!

Or spell "capitalize" correctly?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Adelheid posted:

Or spell "capitalize" correctly?

[10/05/2013 21:21:45] Oren Ronen: Anything else you want to change?
[10/05/2013 21:22:41] Fedule: Nope. Good to go.
[10/05/2013 21:22:59] Fedule: I'm sure one of us will notice a really dumb typo, but not until it's posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorstSwordsman
Apr 23, 2013

Kuzuryuu posted:

Kuzuryuu held a burger in one hand and shouted at me.

Five seconds later posted:

drat, Kuzuryuu should be super high school level speed eater with the speed in which he ate that burger.

• Locked thread