Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Why don't we shelve the conversation until we get another update and can point to specific aspects of the updates? We can argue abstractly about transliteration vs. localization and translator notes for at least 100 more pages and get nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The_White_Crane posted:

That's actually quite a good idea; perhaps put the translation notes at the end of each chapter?
Because I agree, I think that if you moved them out so they weren't immediately after the actual scene, we'd see less nitpicking and endless circular arguments about the translation.

slowbeef posted:

Why don't we shelve the conversation until we get another update and can point to specific aspects of the updates? We can argue abstractly about transliteration vs. localization for at least 100 more pages and get nowhere.

These are both very good ideas, and on the latter note I'll quietly bow out and go back to lurking and/or waiting for the next update eagerly.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!

Fedule posted:

Put it this way: In Japanese, you can insult people with grammar in a single sentence. To do the equivalent in English requires at least a short conversation. It is inevitable that details - like first-person pronouns - will get lost in translation because they just don't exist in English. So something needs to be added to compensate.

As I see it, the "intent" at any given point is less a matter of specifics about speaking style and word choice and more about establishing things - in this case, we're establishing characters (later we'll be establishing facts pertinent to a murder (which may include more characterization)). So, in the first half of that update, the intent is to convey that:
  • Hinata is confused and irritable
  • Nagito is well-meaning but a little overbearing
  • Nagito is awfully familiar seeming, isn't he?
  • Nagito is accepting but Hinata is skeptical

Everything else is just details, really. This is the stuff that should be getting across to you in the script, without having to read any of the notes.

Well, you CAN insult someone in much the same way in English, but it's done with tone and not the actual language. Such as using sarcasm or purposefully talking really slowly like you're talking to a child.

Of course tone isn't conveyed in text as easily in English as it can be in Japanese.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Vyxzuw posted:

Well, you CAN insult someone in much the same way in English, but it's done with tone and not the actual language. Such as using sarcasm or purposefully talking really slowly like you're talking to a child.

Of course tone isn't conveyed in text as easily in English as it can be in Japanese.

Are you loving kidding? Two posts up!

Everyone has to TRY to read the thread. I am so sick of reposted Naegi=Nagito theories, and repeated time travel theories.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 15, 2012

Magic Pants
Oct 9, 2012

Would you like to see
the Labryinth...
In My Pants?

Antivehicular posted:

All evidence suggests that Hinata will actually be our Kirigiri-alike here, which might be satisfying for the people who thought of Kirigiri as the real protagonist of DR1. Hinata is a SHSL ??? and amnesiac who was strongly motivated to come to Hope's Peak by reasons he can't remember now -- that's very close to Kirigiri's backstory, although I imagine his backstory will end up different in the end. He's also a very decisive, judgmental character, which was a part of Kirigiri's schtick.

Also, he has the ability to know where to look to advance the plot, which could be hinting at his SHSL ability being Detective [like Kirigiri], if taken as a story and gameplay integration mechanic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To shy away from plot talk, Oren, how is this translation gig for you? You having fun doing it or is it starting to drag? Feel free to take a break if you feel your gonna burn out. :)

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Speaking of waiting until more updates I have a feeling that, if you can go talk to the other students in any order you want, oren will leave Gundam to be the last one possible.
The game made sure that he be the only character that didn't get any lines so far and just by his name and design me and, I'm sure, many others want to know what is up with him.

But since oren is the Monobear of this thread.....well.

BTA
Sep 30, 2012
In other news, a Monobear Nendoroid figure just got announced.

I fully expected this to happen eventually after the anime's announcement, but I didn't expect it to be so soon. Actually, the weird thing is that they announced it with what appears to be the game's art rather than the anime's. I wonder if that means we can expect an "anime version" of it later on, then? It really wouldn't be all that unusual for GSC to do that.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
Here's a request: could anyone who has played the game before (and thus not fear spoilers) perhaps find a version of Monomi's Practice Lesson and put it on Endless Video for me? It turns out that this track is the perfect thing for chores and to have it going infinitely while I work would be awesome.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Since I had not seen anybody conjecture about whether Naegi actually had SHSL Luck of some sort, I thought that I would point out something in light of the ending of the first game. It was thought that Naegi was SHSL Good/Bad Luck until the end of the last trial, when it was stated that he was SHSL Hope. If that was the case, then why did he win the lottery in the first place? I think that the reason might be that he had hoped that he would get into Hope's Peak. No luck involved at all.

If that is the case, then Nagito may simply be SHSL Luck, an the rest of this may be a red herring.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

Shoopuf posted:

Here's a request: could anyone who has played the game before (and thus not fear spoilers) perhaps find a version of Monomi's Practice Lesson and put it on Endless Video for me? It turns out that this track is the perfect thing for chores and to have it going infinitely while I work would be awesome.

Uh, why not just download the track from Tindeck and just hit "Repeat Track" on a media player?

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

EdgeryWorthy posted:

Uh, why not just download the track from Tindeck and just hit "Repeat Track" on a media player?
Because that would be too easy.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

EdgeryWorthy posted:

I don't have access to my own computer at the moment. I'm borrowing a friend's, and would rather not download something on it.

Thank you very much! :3:

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Magic Pants posted:

Also, he has the ability to know where to look to advance the plot, which could be hinting at his SHSL ability being Detective [like Kirigiri], if taken as a story and gameplay integration mechanic.

I don't know, it seems a little too obvious for the second Super High School-Level ??? to be another Detective. Especially since his situation parallels Kirigiri's so closely, in that they both had forgotten their SHSL talents because of amnesia. I'm thinking this has to be some sort of misdirection on the part of the game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
OK guys, maybe we ought t-

slowbeef posted:

Why don't we shelve the conversation until we get another update and can point to specific aspects of the updates? We can argue abstractly about transliteration vs. localization and translator notes for at least 100 more pages and get nowhere.

-yeah, what he said. You're good po-lice, slowbeef.

For what it's worth, I plan to continue with Anecdotes as they are now, although I won't always have one for every update because come on - but for now, at least, there's a lot to talk about (and, personally, I'd rather do it now than when we're in the middle of plot-bombs and murder).

Shoopuf posted:

Endless Video? Good god, man, you need to think bigger. Here is Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson as performed by Infinite Jukebox - a fascinating piece of machinery that takes your song and creates not just a dumb loop but an actual, varying, infinite mix. It's wonderful.

The downside is that it requires either Chrome or Safari to run due to super advanced magical audio stuff, but, good god, is it worth it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Fedule posted:

For what it's worth, I plan to continue with Anecdotes as they are now, although I won't always have one for every update because come on - but for now, at least, there's a lot to talk about (and, personally, I'd rather do it now than when we're in the middle of plot-bombs and murder).

I'm glad you're continuing it as you have been. The translation anecdotes are really interesting for people who are into the finer details of translations and language (esp. for those of us who are familiar with the language and aren't getting to see the original text and don't want to buy the game), while the updates themselves have been great in their own right, without taking the audience out of the moment by inserting the language stuff in the middle.

Basically, really fantastic work, can't wait to see how you handle the rest.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

But I thought this was going to be a peaceful tropical vacation field trip and we'd just be having fun and collecting hope shards!

Don't lie to me, Fedule!

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
After finally finishing the last thread, I get how this thread moves soo fast. Going to be following this one closely.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I only skimmed the first thread, but why was monobear called monobear? Just because he's monochrome or did it have a deeper meaning?

I'm not particularly intrigued by Dangan Ronpa but the translation choices really interest me.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

ThatPazuzu posted:

I only skimmed the first thread, but why was monobear called monobear? Just because he's monochrome or did it have a deeper meaning?

His name in Japanese is "Monokuma" which is literally the exact same thing, as far as meaning goes, but creates a pun with how you pronounce "monochrome" in Japanese ("monokuromu").

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Of all the awesome music tracks from DR1, and the few we've heard so far from DR2, Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson is just the best for listening to over and over again. I can only hope we hear even more awesome remixes and expansions on it. It combines so many disparate elements, and evokes a sense of both joy, and totally disturbing disquieting weirdness that perfectly fits with Usami. I'm considering just listening to it instead of the other tracks when reading the updates. Sooooo goooood. :allears:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This thread is a crazy bad-poster honeypot, holy poo poo.

Anyway, I'm really liking the character design, though the shift in color palates is kind of interesting. We had a lot of red accents last game and this one seems like it's switched over to green and purple (along with plenty of neutrals, but we had those last game anyway). It's kind of neat! The only person with any real heavy red in the cast is Hanamura (and I guess the redhead girl but). We've also got freer outfits, with less school uniform and more casual clothing. It's a neat thing! I'm excited to see more of the Official Art pictures so I can compare more design choices!
e: actually thinking about it more it's probably due to the setting; the cool, sterile environment of the school got warm colors on the kids, and the warm island gets cool colors.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 16, 2012

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The first Dangan Ronpa really liked to play with expectations. Being the sequel, this one's expectations would naturally include the first game, and I love how they're playing with that already.

The fakeout title screen and the callback classroom just get accepted at face value, because they're completely familiar, but they're ultimately false. Now I have absolutely no idea what to expect, and it's wonderful.

phoenixdoll
Oct 10, 2012
I have been attempting to read the thread, but I apologize if someone else has already mentioned this..

I wonder what the significance of the headmaster animal, Usami, being a rabbit?

Mukuro, pretending to be Junko, had rabbits in her hair..

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Just finished marathoning the Dangan Ronpa 1 LP, my eyes are bleeding maybe but I need another hit, man.

Based on Togami's line about how his awesome body was one of the many awesome reasons he was more awesome than you last game, seriously doubting this Togami could be him. Having this thing go on just one or two years apart from DR1 seems off to me as well, I'm in the "this is Togami's descendant and we're a ways in the future" camp. After the world got their poo poo together again, assuming it wasn't as bad as Junko pretended.

OR, this is Togami's predecessor and we're a ways in the past. poo poo could easily go down on an abandoned island without anyone finding out, so it's not like the school's reputation would be tarnished like it would be after DR1, and students would still want to go there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My god, on that Mukuro/Junko official art I've just realised. Mukuro is doing the same pose (only with a gun) on her own official art. That's pretty clever.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Fedule posted:

Endless Video? Good god, man, you need to think bigger. Here is Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson as performed by Infinite Jukebox - a fascinating piece of machinery that takes your song and creates not just a dumb loop but an actual, varying, infinite mix. It's wonderful.

The downside is that it requires either Chrome or Safari to run due to super advanced magical audio stuff, but, good god, is it worth it.

I just so happan to have Chrome!

However I can't seem to play the song when I navigate to other tabs. Bummer.

Alright, we'll see how the next update sounds. Thanks again for the work guys.

On the topic of the artwork, I've really grown to like it, along with the expressions of the cast. They manage to get each character to express themself so well. I can't wait to get to know these new guys.

I've kinda noticed how Usami mirrors a lot of monobear's poses and expressions. I find it a little interesting how Usami isn't split into a white and black half.

Or perhaps it'd be a Pink and Red Half?

Joenen fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 16, 2012

Zyrconium
Nov 12, 2012

Joenen posted:

However I can't seem to play the song when I navigate to other tabs. Bummer.

Pull the tab down, it'll make a new window for that tab at which point it's able to work in the background.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Beautiful Ruin [Summer Salt]

Tutorial posted:

Movement across the island occurs on this screen.
You may move by using the analog pad. Holding the cross button allows you to run.

By pushing the left and right arrow buttons, you may move to the next location instantly.
Should the cursor indicate an interesting spot, you can enter it by pushing the circle button.

I am certain you have noticed by now, but there is an electronic pet inside your handbook.
This pet grows according to the number of steps you take. Please try to walk as much as you can without using a map jump.

If you can make your pet grow, you may even get a small reward. Probably.

Here’s a convenient, time saving game mechanic! Don’t use it though!

The tutorial just told us the map is now available, so let's check it out.

...It's not very pretty. Also, pretty much every location has an exclamation mark on it, so we might as well start moving randomly and see where that takes us.

We move around the island on this horizontal-scrolling screen. It eventually wraps around, since we're walking in a circle on the island's circumference. We can walk:

...and we can run by holding the cross button:

A few steps to the right of the beach we reach this location:

...Which seems worth exploring.

I’ll say.

This is an airport, isn't it? And... are those...

...Airplanes?

Does this mean... we can fly off of this island?

‘Fraid not.
Those things’re goin’ nowhere. I mean... they’re not broken - if they were just broken, we’d be flying already, y’know?
So... what’s the problem?

They’re empty. Engines’re gone. Simply not there. These jets? They’re props.
The engines are... missing?

Is this the work of whoever brought us to this island?

...It must be whoever is operating that Usami.
But... who is it?

Why did he bring us here?

And... how?

The more I think about it, the more it becomes a mystery.

...I’d’ve thought the “how” was starting to become apparent. Oh well.

Ah... didn’t mean to start talkin’ shop when we just met. And, since we have just met...

Name's Kazuichi Souda, "Super High-school Level Mechanic". Atcha service!

Kazuichi Souda: Super High-school Level Mechanic

Kazuichi Souda ( 左右田和一 ) is voiced by Yoshimasa Hosoya. Hosoya played many roles in his career, and he also has one in a game often mentioned when Dangan Ronpa is: he’s the Japanese voice of Dio in Virtue’s Last Reward.

Just like his title says, Souda-kun’s a wizard with machines. He can fix... well, pretty much anything.
So, when he says that these planes are beyond repair...

Look... Bad stuff happens to engines, yeah? Sometimes, irreparable bad stuff. Sad, but true.
This, though? Grounded plane, otherwise fine, completely missing engines? That’s deliberate. Someone wants us to stay here.

Ah well. This ain’t natural, but I guess it’s nothing we can’t handle, right?
...Huh? Weren’t you just saying...?

I mean... sure, we’ve been trapped here, but... they aren’t forcing us to do anything weird or dangerous, right?

I mean... you read the rules, right?
Y’know, in that Electronic Student Handbook thing we got? They’re under the Guide section. Go ahead, take a look!

Rule no. 1
Excess violence is forbidden on this island. Let's live peacefully and quietly together.

Rule no. 2
Let's gather "Hope Shards" by deepening our bonds with our friends.

Rule no. 3
Throwing garbage and damaging the environment is forbidden. Let's live in harmony with nature on this beautiful island.

Rule no. 4
The supervising teacher will not interfere directly with student activities, unless any rules are broken.

See? They’re all rules for keeping order. Like any other field trip, really.

No violence, harmony with nature... Peaceful, quiet days.
It's just like Usami said.
The rules in this guide look like they’re there simply to protect that peace.
But... do you really trust Usami that easily? None of us consented to this! She basically kidnapped us!

That’s rather a pessimistic attitude, isn’t it? Don’t you think you should have more... hope... than that?
A hopeful outlook is an indispensable part of the human condition!

I say we take it easy and see how things play out, y’know? Until something happens, just treat it like a vacation!

Heh heh! Even that weird bunny is kinda cute once you take a good look at her!

It must be nice, to be able to take this so lightly... I’m actually a little jealous.

Hope Shard Acquired

Once we have a Hope Shard for someone, we can check their card in our handbook.

Kazuichi Souda
Height: 172cm, Weight: 64kg, Chest: 86cm, Blood type: A
Birthday: June 29
Hates: Sugar-free
Title: Super High-school Level Mechanic

Next, this guy over there in the back. I believe he's the only person on this island who we haven't heard speak at all yet.

Music screeches to a halt.

Halt. You will come no closer... if you value your life.

Re: Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

.........what?

Hrmph! Even so warned, you persist? Your courage, at least, is commendable. So be it, then.

W...What... the hell... Is this guy for real!?

Nyahaha... Tell me, courageous one... Would you hear my name? Do you believe yourself worthy?

I suppose I must admit... your show of bravado amused me somewhat...

Gyaaahahaha! Very well then! I will tell you my name! Prepare yourself!

Before you stands Gundam Tanaka. Do not forget that name... When I rule the world, to do so will be to invite death.

Gundam Tanaka: Super High-school Level Animal Breeder

Gundam Tanaka ( 田中眼蛇夢 ) is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita, who gained extreme popularity after playing Kyon in the 2006 TV series The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Yes, I know the screen says GANDAMU. His name's still Gundam.

In other words... yes, dear reader, your suspicion is correct.

R...Rule... the world...?

He's... kidding, right? He wouldn’t... He can’t... Who would be serious about this?!

And now, courageous one, you will answer a question from me. Whose master are you?
W... what...?

I suggest you answer promptly. With which species have you made bonds?
...Huh? Bonds? What are you talking about?

Answer! Answer now, for I shall DESTROY you once you do!
If you’re going to destroy me when I answer, why should I?!

I think he's asking if you've ever raised a pet...
...A pet?
Um... Not really. The only animal I’ve ever had was this hermit crab they gave us in elementary school...

A crustacean?!

Foolish human! Your talent is negligible! A Level 5, at most! You are beneath me!
Beneath...?!

Yes! You are beneath me! You are garbage! Trash! Refuse! You are lucky that I deign to continue this conversation!

You know my name, but have you any idea who I am? I, Gundam Tanaka, was known and feared as "The Ascendant Ruler of Ice"!
W...Wait a second! What the... a-are those... How did...?!

Behold! The “Tanaka Kingdom”! By making my very body a home to my subjects, I have tamed their evil spirits!

He’s just like our very own Dr. Dolittle. Just what you’d expect from a "Super High-school Level Animal Breeder"...

Gundam’s secret technique, the “Tanaka Kingdom” is, as Nagito immediately points out in the original script, a reference to Masanori Hata, also known as Mutsugoro-san, and his Tokyo zoo/animal park “Mutsugoro Animal Kingdom”. Hata has been Japan’s foremost celebrity expert on wild animals for decades now, produced countless of TV specials where he introduces wild animals around the world, lived for years on an inhabited island off the coast of Hokkaido with a pet bear cub, and owns the aforementioned park.

Hear what "Mirage Silver Falcon" Jum-P, one of my Four Dark Gods of Destruction, has to say:
"Do not anger us!” You should heed this warning, insignificant one. You will not find these four... merciful.

The names of all Four Dark Gods of Destruction are trickled out in dialogue later, but you can hear him call them all in one of his voice clips. They are "Mirage Silver Falcon" Jum-P (the sleepy one), "Star-destroyer Grey Fox" Sun-D (the female one), "Invading Black Dragon" Cham-P (the fat one) and "Steel Red Elephant" Maga-G (the other one).

They are named after the "big four" shonen manga magazines: Shonen Jump, Shonen Sunday, Shonen Champion and Shonen Magazine.

Haha... ahaha...

AAAAHAHAhahaha!!

Hope Shard Acquired

Beautiful Ruin [Summer Salt]

Um... Anyway. He may be a bit strange, but he’s an unmatched genius when it comes to animals.
He can tame anything, and he even managed to save some species that were on the verge of extinction.
There's a rumor he can even talk to animals... but that's probably just a joke.

Talking to animals... that’s... crazy... right? Then again... he raises hamsters inside his muffler.

Maybe... No. I will not dignify this thought with further consideration.

Gundam Tanaka
Height: 182cm, Weight: 74kg, Bust: 93cm, Blood type: B
Birthday: December 14
Hates: Earthly existence
Title: Super High-school Level Animal Breeder

orenronen fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 5, 2013

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Wow, the first time he opens his mouth and GUNDAM has already proven to be the best character in the game.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Gundam didn't talk for a while, but when he did, the wait was worth it. :allears:

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Okay. I think I pretty much really like Gundam.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Gundam definitely has Chuunibyou which is a pretty popular character trait lately. I expect some of his exaggerations to be true though. Also if he turns out to be murderer later, his potential death scene might have one of the best pre-death speeches.

Being an animal breeder/tamer it'd be funny if he would have some soft of influence on Usami since she is a puppet? rabbit .

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 16, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone who said that this was getting too cartoonish and self-induldgent seems to have been right. Not to sound (too) whiny, but I'm pretty sure every student in DR was introduced in a third of the linespace Gundam here got. Or maybe I just don't like his gimmick.

Souda is cool though. His design is great, because it contrasts with and thus emphasises his chillness. We already have many intensely emotional characters, so a chill blue-collar type is refreshing.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 16, 2012

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

orenronen posted:

Hear what "Mirage Silver Falcon" Jum-P, one of my Four Dark Gods of Destruction, has to say:
"Do not anger us!” You should heed this warning, insignificant one. You will not find these four... merciful.

The names of all Four Dark Gods of Destruction are trickled out in dialogue later, but you can hear him call them all in one of his voice clips. They are "Mirage Silver Falcon" Jum-P (the sleepy one), "Star-destroyer Grey Fox" Sun-D (the female one), "Invading Black Dragon" Cham-P (the fat one) and "Steel Red Elephant" Maga-G (the other one).

...oh my God. How in the hell are they going to top this guy?

Anyway, it's interesting that we have the escape mechanism pretty much right in front of us, but deliberately crippled. It is a bit of a contrast to the first game, where escape seemed impossible pretty much from the beginning; in theory, all one has to do is find the engines (which are potentially still somewhere on the island) and have the mechanic dude stuff them back into the planes.

Of course, that won't happen (or at least not right away). But the possibility is being dangled in front of the characters already, even if some of them don't seem to care. I suspect once the murder starts the pressure to escape will start to build up (although we're still no closer to seeing why people are going to kill each other).

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

How is the game going to top Gundam? :stare:

And Souda is implying that Usami (or whoever is behind Usami) brought the students here via plane and then took out the engines so the SHSL Mechanic couldn't fix them, right? Makes sense.

quote:

Rule no. 4
The supervising teacher will not interfere directly with student activities, unless any rules are broken.
This rule seems to be suggesting that Usami can't really punish the students like Monobear did, if I'm reading it right. There seems to be no mention of punishment at all in the rules, in fact.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Okay. I'm reading this correctly, right? His "Four Dark Gods of Destruction" are... those hamsters?

:psyduck:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fly, Gundam! To the top of my list of dudes I want to see more of immediately! He comes across like some cross of Ishida and Yamada (at least he's who the gamey regalish tone of speaking reminded me of), and be damned if I don't want to know what the whole "Ascendant Ruler of Ice" deal is about.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 16, 2012

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Got to agree - Gundam is amazing. Anyone who can summon hamsters from nowhere is a shoe in for best character.

I notice both character's we've been introduced to so far have talents that would be useful in rebuilding society. Even Nagito seems to be stepping into the hope role pretty quickly. It's early to tell but that'd make a lot of sense as a theme, assuming this does indeed take place chonologically after the events of the first game.

That said, I can't wait until we find out Togami's excuse for being back here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Anyone noticed the visual similarity between Kazuichi and Syo from DR1? I'm predicting it's the devs fooling with us but it would be great if he also had a split personality. It would be even better if the split personality is a loving terrible mechanic.

• Locked thread