Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

melodicwaffle posted:

poo poo, sorry. I misread the title of her notebook as the title of his manga, and I thought she was just using the name of the manga's heroine to fool around with him. And I didn't assume that the girl in the picture had to be the narrator. My bad. :doh:

That said, up until the novel explicitly confirmed otherwise, I totally thought it was Fukawa doing the narration too. So at least you're not alone. That being said...

Cyrai posted:

With the memory issues and how much she likes someone who hates her, it almost makes me think this actually is an early Fukawa. I know anterograde amnesia isn't the same as DID, but since Syo and Fukawa 'lose' each other's memories, the conditions are close enough for one to develop into the other if we give fiction some suspension of disbelief. There's also some similarity with Matsuda using scalpels as a weapon and Syo using scissors. And since people were wondering why Syo seemed to have Fukawa's memories, it could be because Fukawa needed to write things down to remember them and Syo read the notes. Sure, Ryouka has a different name, but maybe they messed with her memory to make her think she had a different name, and Celes had a fake name anyway. I don't think the theory's accurate, but crazier things have turned out true before.

They really don't look enough alike for this to be a valid theory. Which is a shame because it's an interesting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cyrai posted:

Also, am I the only person who was expecting Gundam to be a Super-high School Level Pokemon Trainer?
Well, he kind of is. :v:

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Speaking of the interactions between SHSL ??? and SHSL Neurologist, I suppose that her love for him took roots before she had her condition, and it's so strong that it is one of the few things she never forgets (after all, it's more about the emotion than knowledge). SHSL Neurologist, however, constantly tests her memory by acting contrary to her few long-term memories: as long as she keeps being friendly with him despite his constant harassment, he knows that there are some things that even she won't forget. Or he could just be a male tsundere character, but that would be way too boring.

And I gotta love that stylish arrow scalpel on the illustration.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
So I'm thinking Junko could've used the neurologist to either induce amnesia in the kids or use his notes to figure it out how to do it herself. Either way, I don't trust this guy.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SingerOfW posted:

Speaking of the interactions between SHSL ??? and SHSL Neurologist, I suppose that her love for him took roots before she had her condition, and it's so strong that it is one of the few things she never forgets (after all, it's more about the emotion than knowledge). SHSL Neurologist, however, constantly tests her memory by acting contrary to her few long-term memories: as long as she keeps being friendly with him despite his constant harassment, he knows that there are some things that even she won't forget. Or he could just be a male tsundere character, but that would be way too boring.

And I gotta love that stylish arrow scalpel on the illustration.

Actually, the way her case of amnesia works, up until a point in her past, usually some sort of injury that caused brain damage, she can remember things perfectly well. It's only after that point that she can't remember events. So she can remember he childhood and early years, but nothing after whatever caused her to be the way she is.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

Rith posted:

It sounds to me as if her 'treatment' is actually causing her amnesia. I have two theories: the neurologist is a member of Super High-school Level Despair, developing the technology that Junko will later use for the memory wipe, or the neurologist isn't a member of Super High-school Level Despair and Junko stole the technology, in which case Hope's Peak Academy (if it's funding this research) is a lot more alarming than I ever realised. What sort of institution uses its students for experiments like this?

Third possibility: Matsuda isn't a member of SHSL Despair, but has been kidnapped/coerced into wiping the memories of both games' characters. Perhaps Junko/SHSL Despair offered to spare his life and exclude him from the death game(s) in exchange for working with them. Either way, it's pretty evident that Matsuda's methods were involved in the memory-wipe incidents, so he's either still alive and kicking by the time of DR2, or someone else in SHSL Despair managed to replicate his skills before getting rid of him.

As for this kind of research being funded by Hope's Peak itself prior to the Despair Event, I wouldn't necessarily put it past them; the previous chapter made it clear that they're not exactly a shining example of professional ethics to begin with.

Cyrai posted:

With the memory issues and how much she likes someone who hates her, it almost makes me think this actually is an early Fukawa. I know anterograde amnesia isn't the same as DID, but since Syo and Fukawa 'lose' each other's memories, the conditions are close enough for one to develop into the other if we give fiction some suspension of disbelief. There's also some similarity with Matsuda using scalpels as a weapon and Syo using scissors. And since people were wondering why Syo seemed to have Fukawa's memories, it could be because Fukawa needed to write things down to remember them and Syo read the notes. Sure, Ryouka has a different name, but maybe they messed with her memory to make her think she had a different name, and Celes had a fake name anyway. I don't think the theory's accurate, but crazier things have turned out true before.

Maybe we're looking at this from the wrong angle. Perhaps we're actually reading an excerpt from one of Fukawa's novels. After all, she was a highly acclaimed romance novelist, and surely those would probably involve some degree of self-projection/wish fulfillment? :v:

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Alternatively, Junko is testing memory wipe mcguffin on the mystery girl, and SHSL Neurologist is trying to find out what's going on.

tsundair
Nov 4, 2012
Man, this artist really likes to make peoples' legs and thighs ginormous. I mean, look at them! These people have to be at least seven feet tall.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

tsundair posted:

Man, this artist really likes to make peoples' legs and thighs ginormous. I mean, look at them! These people have to be at least seven feet tall.

The way the neurologist is drawn makes me feel like I'm looking at some kind of foot fetishist's pin-up poster. :gonk:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nonsense, DR's all about the thighs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

tsundair posted:

No joke, I thought this would turn out to be some weird Sakura/Whatever Her Boyfriend's Name Was thing when I first saw the picture. They look positively gigantic.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I'm not a fan of Fedule's injections, but I'm also not a fan of orenronen's injections, or injections in general. For a game that I've never experienced before, I usually like to read an update without outside comments on things unless they're absolutely necessary. They tend to just break up the flow of the update for me. It's preference, and comments outside of the update itself are welcomed, but yeah.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Personally I'd much rather there was no influence on the text at all. Just post screenshots without bias and I'll just stare at the immaculate japanese text, pure and free.

Though you might want to continue with your translation on the side since I don't know the language.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
What if the memory research was to find a way for people to forget The Most Despair Inducing Event in the History of Mankind? Our narrator could easily have forgotten about it, and no one else around seemed very chipper.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Terper posted:

No joke, I thought this would turn out to be some weird Sakura/Whatever Her Boyfriend's Name Was thing when I first saw the picture. They look positively gigantic.

Thank god I'm not the only one who found it strange, I kind of did a double take because it just seems kind of over the top.

Actually tossing my two cents in though on the plot, I'm pretty sure he's just being a jerk to see if she remembers it. I was getting kinda uncomfortable reading how much of a dick he was before that thought set in. I'm interested in seeing how these two evolve.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, the "is it worse?" line does seem to be suggesting that the narrator's memory was deliberately wiped.

The other interpretation of that is that what she stated (and narrated to us) occurred isn't actually what happened this meeting. At least, not fully. IE she's an unreliable narrator, as people have pointed out.

Donowitz
Feb 26, 2012

She's pretty obviously SHSL Ugly.

On a more serious note, I cannot wait to see more of Zero. It's very interesting so far - my initial impression was that it was going to be a manga of sorts, and we'd be seeing the translated words on the images, but the fact that it's a novelette is very cool.

The neurologist is interesting, and now I'm wondering what other sorts of SHSL people we'll meet in Zero.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Actually tossing my two cents in though on the plot, I'm pretty sure he's just being a jerk to see if she remembers it. I was getting kinda uncomfortable reading how much of a dick he was before that thought set in. I'm interested in seeing how these two evolve.

I like this story so far, but I'm hoping this is what's happening. That or she turns out to be SHSL Street Fighter and kicks him in the head :v:

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

There's no loving way that isn't intentional. I know a few people have pointed out that the little girl, perhaps jokingly, might be the villain, but I think that comparison is the most apparent (besides the Asahina look-alike, I suppose).

e: Also, wow, that really highlights how much crisper DR2 is than the first game! The graphics are a lot clearer. Is that due to some sort of new screen capture software, oren, or just better visuals?

e2: vvvvv That is very true! So, I suppose the similarity is just playing on the same character archetype.

Saradiart fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 17, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They are both examples of the same character archetype. Cutesy Junko isn't any more significant than Metal Junko or Mushroom Junko.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Serious Frolicking posted:

They are both examples of the same character archetype. Cutesy Junko isn't any more significant than Metal Junko or Mushroom Junko.

I realize in retrospect what you meant, but my first thought sure was "Super Dangan Bros.".

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Saradiart posted:

e: Also, wow, that really highlights how much crisper DR2 is than the first game! The graphics are a lot clearer. Is that due to some sort of new screen capture software, oren, or just better visuals?

The Junko image is during a trial, where the images are scaled and rotated by the PSP hardware, while the DR2 image is just a static sprite being drawn exactly as-is. It'll probably look about the same once we're in trial mode.

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

She is; she refers to other HPA students as her classmates in passing near the start of the chapter.

It might be the other way around too; Junko could have caused her memory issues as a test to see how well it works and any issues with it. Meanwhile, Matsuda's trying to figure out how to fix it or at least come up with a temporary solution or something.

Maybe it's not a test. My personal thoughts are that rather than going back and removing their memories, the memory loss technique that was being used in DR1 is the same thing we see here, in that she can't remember any new events, so if she got into a DR1 like situation, she would have no memory of how she got there. (or of any events leading up to getting there, etc.) I'm not sure why not everyone is experiencing this memory loss, but maybe Super Highschool Level Despair is selectively choosing people to manipulate?

slam5000 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 18, 2012

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

The Junko image is during a trial, where the images are scaled and rotated by the PSP hardware, while the DR2 image is just a static sprite being drawn exactly as-is. It'll probably look about the same once we're in trial mode.

What trial mode? We're having a peaceful tropical vacation. Violence isn't even allowed.

Everything will be all right.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Upupu... Upupupu!

Omni Dragoon
Dec 18, 2012

Did you see that, Shinji?!
I've been an avid reader of the original Dangan Ronpa LP and I am very excited to see where the sequel will go. I'm most interested in Nidai so far, aka lightning bolt face. I'm curious to see what the other characters will be like! I'll definitely keep watch on this thread.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

HelloWinter posted:

Upupu... Upupupu!

I'm sure this can only end well for everyone.

Though the back of his arm is looking a little funky.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Conro101 posted:

Though the back of his arm is looking a little funky.
That's my bad. It's my first attempt with a 3D modelling program and I don't know how to smoothen it out. :(

It won't really matter in the end product, anyway.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

HelloWinter posted:

That's my bad. It's my first attempt with a 3D modelling program and I don't know how to smoothen it out. :(

Papercraft?

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

HelloWinter posted:

Well, it's still really drat impressive, especially for a first attempt.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

slam5000 posted:

Maybe it's not a test. My personal thoughts are that rather than going back and removing their memories, the memory loss technique that was being used in DR1 is the same thing we see here, in that she can't remember any new events, so if she got into a DR1 like situation, she would have no memory of how she got there. (or of any events leading up to getting there, etc.)

Seems unlikely. They lived for around two years at Hope's Peak making new memories before the events of the game, and they were obviously able to make new memories during the game. That doesn't fit with Ryouka's apparent condition at all.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012
For a while, I thought this whole scene was just supposed to be playful banter between the two of them.
But then I remembered that he threw a scalpel at her. Hmmm...
Maybe she's SHSL Happy, and that's why he's trying to provoke a reaction from her, to make her into a normal person or something?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Wow, that was a lot of ugly.

And honestly I kind of hope that girl is just flat out SHSL Amnesia. As in her memory loss problem is what got her into the school. I think that'd be a pretty amusing way for this to go.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Are we sure that Ryouka is actually a Hope's Peak student though? She may simply be a patient enlisted for whatever research because of her condition.

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.
She calls people classmates as she walks by them. She could be an unreliable narrator, but I don't think there's any good narrative reason to lie about something like that.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

4th Asclepiadean posted:

For a while, I thought this whole scene was just supposed to be playful banter between the two of them.
But then I remembered that he threw a scalpel at her. Hmmm...
Maybe she's SHSL Happy, and that's why he's trying to provoke a reaction from her, to make her into a normal person or something?

I don't know about anyone else, but I got the impression he was insulting her to try and make something stick in her memory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dragoon Cody posted:

She calls people classmates as she walks by them. She could be an unreliable narrator, but I don't think there's any good narrative reason to lie about something like that.

Its more likely she recognises them as classmates by dint of going to the same school, rather than social interaction.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Oh wait, if she does have anterograde amnesia as it traditionally exists but still recognizes that she is a Hope's Peak student, does that mean that whatever event happened to take her memory occurred while she was a student of Hope's Peak? Since she shouldn't remember she's a student otherwise, and doesn't seem to need the notebook for that fact.

Would explain how she was admitted to the school in spite of probably not being SHSL anymore (grandfathered in). Does lend some support to the idea that the memory loss was intentional, but I'm not buying that yet. Thinking back to the headmaster's comments on a student's "own brand of hope", trying to cure this debilitating condition would be an impetus to the SHSL Neurologist doing something drastic in the future.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Beautiful Ruin [Summer Salt]

Time to see where the road takes us next.

At the very least, this island is well equipped!

It looks like switching from 3D to sidescrolling has allowed them to really step up the graphics in these hub areas. I mean, that’s a lens flare there. They’re going all out.

It's a supermarket... And a pretty big one.

It looks just like what you'd expect to find on a resort island... I guess we are abroad after all.

It looks like we won't have to worry about food and supplies, at least for now.
What do you mean, “at least for now”?

I...It's just a figure of speech.
Well, we don’t even know if any of it is edible. What if it's all poisoned?

You really do suspect everything, don't you, Hinata-kun...
Can you blame me? Under the circumstances, can you really blame me?
Look around you! This supermarket... it’s massive! But there's no one here except us!

That can't be helped. Usami told us it's an uninhabited island, didn't she?
That's not my point! I mean...
...Ugh!!

...What's wrong?
Nothing, it's just...

A piercing gaze, pointed right at me... I could feel it!

U... Um... E... Excuse me...
Um... Y... You see...

...I... I'm sorry!

W...Why is she crying?!

That's no good, Hinata-kun. You shouldn’t make girls cry like that!
...But I didn't do anything! Or say anything!

Ah... So your name is Hinata-san...? If it's alright with you, I'd like to remember it. Can I?
O...Of course... I don't mind...

M... My name is Mikan Tsumiki. Um... I... I’m very pleased to meet you!

Mikan Tsumiki: Super High-school Level Nurse

Mikan Tsumiki ( 罪木蜜柑 ) is voiced by Ai Kayano, a relatively new player in the Japanese voice acting scene.

Um...

Um... Um... Um...

Sniff... It's too much... My nerves... My mind’s going completely blank...
...I thought ahead of 5000 ways this conversation could proceed, but I can’t remember any!

That’s probably because you tried to cram 5000 branches of conversation into your head!

In that case, take your time and try to remember them. We'll be waiting here.
Don't worry about our time. We can wait as long as you need.

Hawa...Hawawa!!

Isn't that just putting more pressure on her?

I... don't think I'd get anywhere by asking her, so I guess I'll just hear it from you.
Who is this girl?
Mikan Tsumiki-san? She's a "Super High-school Level Nurse".
If you’re hurt, she's the one you want at your side... so you'd better be nice to her! It might just save your life.
Just think... even a little cut could slowly get more and more infected, until you die... all because you offended Tsumiki-san.
Don't say that with such a big smile on your face...

Heh heh... Hehhehhehheh...!

Ah! I... I'm sorry! I laughed without asking for permission!

I... I couldn't help it. It’s been such a long time since I made new friends, and I was so happy...

Oh, but you never said you agreed to be my friends! I'm sorry for saying something so impudent!

I'll do anything you say... so, please don't hate me...!

...That's no good, Hinata-kun. You shouldn’t make girls cry like that!

But I... I give up.

I'm sorry... I'm sorry!

Hope Shard Acquired

And we also gained a level! (Whatever that means)

Mikan Tsumiki
Height: 165cm / Weight: 57kg / Chest: 89cm / Blood type: A
Birthday: May 12
Hates: Things that are too big
Title: Super High-school Level Nurse

Before we go on to the other person in this supermarket, let's check out the goods. We'll start with this suspicious pile in the front.

This stand has military goods... Are those night-vision goggles?

What supermarket would carry these things?

Surfboards...

...Not that I'm in the mood for water sports.

Gigantic bottles of Cola...

They’re so big that they’re basically guaranteed to go flat before you finish them, leaving you with gross sugar water.

It’s some kind of vending machine, but...

...It doesn't look like it takes regular money. Instead, it requires... some kind of special coins?

Special coins indeed. Now, we can finally get to the girl standing in the aisle.

Looking looking looking♪ Looking over here♪ Looking looking --

--Look! It’s - hey! I don’t know you!

Um... Hi. My name is Hajime Hinata, and --

Huh!? What was that!? Where's the energy, huh!? Are you still asleep!?

That’s not an introduction! THIS is an introduction! You ready?! Let's go!

"Ibu" from Ibuki Mioda! "Ki" from Ibuki Mioda! "Mio" from Ibuki Mioda! "Da" from Ibuki Mioda! That’s me - Ibuki Mioda!

Ibuki Mioda: Super High-school Level Light Music Club Member

Ibuki Mioda ( 澪田唯吹 ) is voiced by Ami Koshimizu, who has been in all sorts of popular series. Her one role which is likely relevant to readers of this LP is that of Yukiko Amagi in Persona 4 and its offshoots.

Ibuki Mioda is a walking reference to the super-popular (to the level of becoming a national phenomenon) 2009 anime series K-ON! about a light music club in an all-girl high school. Mioda's name itself is comprised of one kanji character from the names of each of the four K-ON! leads.

Introduction: o-ver! This supermarket is something else, huh?!

They have hamburgers and ramen and chilli beans and sausages and pasta... even melons!

That's food that can satisfy Americans and Chinese and Mexicans and Germans and Italians... even Yubari residents!

The city of Yubari, Hokkaido is famous for their melons.

Uwah! This is so exciting! Such a huge assortment of products is just so exciting!

But being excited makes me so hungry!
Ibuki doesn't get her own body... Why does Ibuki get hungry when she’s excited, huh!?

Kyahaha, the human body’s mysterious, huh?!

Um... This slightly overwhelming person is our "Super High-school Level Light Music Club Member"...
She comes from a girls-only high school, where she played guitar for a super-popular girl band.
I heard that their hit single, "After-school Poyoyon Hour" sold a million copies.

A super-popular girl band... Light music club...

...I think I heard about something like that before... somewhere.

But, I also heard she left the band over creative differences. She's now pursuing a solo career.
...Creative differences?

Are you intrigued?!
Whoa! Did you hear us?!

Ibuki is a musician, after all!

Just like Schubert and Bach and Edison and Van Gogh and Pele and Senna... a gifted musician!
I get that you’re saying you’ve got sensitive ears, but...
...Two thirds of those people aren't musicians.

Details, details!

Hope Shard Acquired

Ibuki Mioda
Height: 164cm / Weight: 42kg / Chest: 76cm / Blood type: AB
Birthday: November 27
Hates: Boredom
Title: Super High-school Level Light Music Club Member

orenronen fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Huh. I don't know what I was expecting Ibuki to be, but 'musician' wasn't anywhere near the top of the list.

• Locked thread