Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurteth
Jul 14, 2013

by T. Finninho
Am I the only one who thought this was going to happen?

Yeah... So let's go back to the hotel now Hinata...

Y-You too?!

Am I the only one here who's not a proper man?!?!

^^^NOT CANON

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Kurteth fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

^^^^^^ Jesus Christ.

Ytlaya posted:

Actually, my guess is that Nidai was massaging Owari (in a non-sexual way obviously). It's something that would feel really good and also be reasonable for a coach-like figure to do to an athlete.

They're sparring. Come on.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Rith posted:

I'm not sure that Hinata's been depicted as especially self-confident; Komaeda's claim here is just bizarre Komaeda-logic. Merely associating with Super High-school Level students, in Komaeda's eyes, is an incredibly bold and audacious thing to do if you're not on the same level as them.

While I agree that Hinata isn't depicted as having self-confidence as a defining characteristic, and that Komaeda is using twisted Komaeda-logic, I don't think Komaeda was entirely wrong in what he said this update. Hinata is interesting. Maybe Komaeda doesn't know, but we know for a fact that Hinata is somebody who outright reveres and worships Hope's Peak. One might imagine that somebody like him with that strength of reverence for the school would treat the school's actual students with some reverence too, even if he also had a talent he treated as legitimate, unlike Komaeda with his. But Hinata doesn't treat the rest of the class with reverence at all. He does, briefly, speak unusually politely and have to remind himself that the people are his classmates as well as super high school levels, but that's not much at all considering how much value he places on Hope's Peak. He's remarkably level-headed about it all.

Looking at the first update again, the sort of language he's using is centred on personal aspiration, ambition and pride. He says he wanted to go there "so I, too, could stand proud". Based on the above things, I'd say it's not the amazing students that are the important thing to Hinata, but the overall school and the idea of him belonging to that particular community. It's not as if he's desperate to be there among his personal heroes. Komaeda is the one who's in awe. If we assume that the DR2 kids were around outside in Monoworld, Hinata might have been more upset than most people about the destruction wrought on Hope's Peak.

It's hard to guess whether somebody with Hinata's level of reverence for the school would be willing to work in the prep school's Parade. On the one hand, he had a strong drive to get to Hope's Peak proper, which sounds like a great motive for taking action. I wouldn't totally rule out the theory of him being happy with going to Hope's Peak without a talent or with a talent that doesn't quite make it to super high school level. On the other hand, protesting against Hope's Peak might be something like sacrilege for Hinata, and a betrayal of his sole lifelong dream and ambition.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kurteth posted:

Am I the only one who thought this was going to happen?

No, but Hinata probably isn't falling for that one again.

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID

Ettin posted:

No, but Hinata probably isn't falling for that one again.

don't ever stop :allears:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Nanami seems to spend a significant percentage of her life with sheets of drool cascading from her mouth and a gargantuan snot-bubble hanging out of her nose. She's also totally narcoleptic. Is this some sort of common Japanese shorthand, like nose-bleeds indicating perverse thoughts, or is the game making a deliberate attempt to associate her with babies?

While I'm here, given his teeth, Souda's habit of chewing on his fingers nervously tends to creep me out. His fingertips must all be twisted, shredded stumplets...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ghostwoods posted:

Nanami seems to spend a significant percentage of her life with sheets of drool cascading from her mouth and a gargantuan snot-bubble hanging out of her nose. She's also totally narcoleptic. Is this some sort of common Japanese shorthand, like nose-bleeds indicating perverse thoughts, or is the game making a deliberate attempt to associate her with babies?

The snot bubble is totally common Japanese shorthand for sleeping.

I think the Dangan Ronpa creator just has a thing for girls drooling, though. It seems to happen a lot.

CecilHoshino
Oct 2, 2013

Mm. Yes. Quite amused.

TKMobile posted:

Honestly, I'm worried for Akane, Nidai but most of all: Tsukimi. Of course, the game's been heavily implying trouble heading to the pair of bruisers, but now she's alone, in the gently caress Creepy Hospital, with all of her attention on the invalid mobster as everyone else bails. (also, good job guys on that. Have you learned nothing???)

Well, to be totally fair, we still haven't had a chance for Hope Shard collecting, so it might be to early to call on whether or not somebody's getting whacked. Heck, maybe by the time we get to our murders, the two bruisers have resolved things, someone else will have planted their own death flags as Akane, Nidai and Tsukimi pluck out their's.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Here's some alternative dialogue one gets when talking to the other characters in the hospital room before the game takes control and forcefully moves the story on. Please excuse the lack of full screenshots.

Ibuki

So Fuyuhiko-chan is keeping Peko-chan’s dying wish alive!
Uuu... this is sweet and painful at the same time!
Ibuki's going to commemorate it in a song!
...Tsumiki's going to get mad at you if you make too much noise in this hospital.
...Did you say something? You spoke so quietly I couldn't hear you.

I'd better just leave her alone.

Mikan

Fuyuu... It really is wonderful that Kuzuryuu-san is alright...
Was it you who found him here, Tsumiki?
Yes... I was looking around the hospital when Monobear-san suddenly appeared...
He told me if I rubbed his body all over he'd tell me all about Kuzuryuu-san, so I did my best...

...That's dangerously close to sexual harassment.

Gundam

Hmhmhm... Reborn from the dark abyss, his power has grown tenfold...
So the wind whispers to me.
What wind? We're inside a building.
It tells me we should return... to nothingness.

He's not listening. Well, that's about par for the course.

Sonia

I am so very relieved Kuzuryuu-san's life isn't in danger.
It must be... thanks to Pekoyama-san. Just like Nanami-san said...
Yeah, it probably is.
But now that I'm relieved I've also grown exhausted.
Let us disperse for the day, and discuss the results of our exploration tomorrow morning.
You may take your leave!

From time to time Sonia's princess side shows itself.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
Ibuki manages to be exuberant even when she's doing the silent ellipsis thing. I can only approve.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

orenronen posted:

Mikan

Fuyuu... It really is wonderful that Kuzuryuu-san is alright...
Was it you who found him here, Tsumiki?
Yes... I was looking around the hospital when Monobear-san suddenly appeared...
He told me if I rubbed his body all over he'd tell me all about Kuzuryuu-san, so I did my best...

...That's dangerously close to sexual harassment.

That sounds like something Hanamura would do. :v:

At least Monobear is a stuffed animal, so it's less creepy.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 19, 2013

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That sounds like something Hanamura would do. :v:

At least Monobear is a stuffed animal, so it's less creepy.

A stuffed animal that stretches.

pidgeon
May 18, 2011

:tinsley:
Well, Hanamura's the mastermind of SDR2. We solved the mystery.

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.

pidgeon posted:

This is an anime universe. "Insatiable sexual urges and inappropriate behavior" is a trait with a 1 in 10 or so occurrence rate.
There have already been four in this series, at least.

We must entertain that it may in fact be Yamada, Souda, or the SHSL Secret Agent whose name escapes me.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Mikan cannot possibly be a murder victim, because then the constant humiliation that is her life would come to an end. She will live and suffer forever.

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013
I've been thinking about how Nanami seems to have taken the group harmonizer and voice of reason role. The fact that she is taking this role, and not Hinata, the protagonist, has me very, very worried.

Given that this is Dangan Ronpa, this will simply not be allowed to end well. It was fine in DR1 where Neagi was the idealistic, "I'm going to do my best to help everyone get along" harmonizer and Kirigiri was the insightful one with enough confidence to act as the reasonable authority figure, but giving both of these roles to Nanami, when the writers know that this takes the limelight away from the protagonist... Well, let's just say I don't expect her to make the last case.

Sorry for derailing, I don't think it's likely to happen until the second-to-last case probably, but the paranoia was getting to me, so I had to say something now.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

pidgeon posted:

In your defense, Hanamura does have the same body type as Monobear, down to the navel. monobear was hanamura wearing a thick layer of body paint all along

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 19, 2013

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

orenronen posted:

Huh?! Are you saying you look up to warriors of justice?!
Don't you know? You do realize what they really are, right?
You do realize their sole raison d'être is hindering people's dreams and ambitions, right?
You do realize they try to butt in whenever they see a gathering because they don’t have many friends of their own, right?
You do realize they get angry and righteous whenever someone laughs a little loudly because their tempers are so short, right?
You do realize they wait for their opponent to move before countering because they’re too lazy to move first, right?
You do realize they’ll cut down armed and unarmed opponents alike because they’re so aggressive, right?
You do realize they have no real understanding of how the weak and oppressed feel because they always win their fights, right?.
You do realize the only reason they wear those flashy outfits is because they like showing off, right?
To sum it up, they're the intelligent, healthy elite who are violent, stubborn and friendless.
...And you seriously look up to them?

[Joke about Slowbeef]

Is it weird that Mikan was given special permission by Monobear? With this thread, I really can't tell anymore. I mean, yeah, she's a SHSL nurse, but it seemed like Monobear had doctors on staff. Why give a student access to potentially compromising medical info? I'm not claiming anything , just curious if anyone else thought it was weird.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

LukanFox posted:

I've been thinking about how Nanami seems to have taken the group harmonizer and voice of reason role. The fact that she is taking this role, and not Hinata, the protagonist, has me very, very worried.

Given that this is Dangan Ronpa, this will simply not be allowed to end well. It was fine in DR1 where Neagi was the idealistic, "I'm going to do my best to help everyone get along" harmonizer and Kirigiri was the insightful one with enough confidence to act as the reasonable authority figure, but giving both of these roles to Nanami, when the writers know that this takes the limelight away from the protagonist... Well, let's just say I don't expect her to make the last case.

Sorry for derailing, I don't think it's likely to happen until the second-to-last case probably, but the paranoia was getting to me, so I had to say something now.

I disagree with your interpretation. She has been observant, but no more than, say, Togami from DR1. Most of the investigation has been carried out by Hinata (and Naegi).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Random_Username posted:

Is it weird that Mikan was given special permission by Monobear?

Not really, she's a SHSL Nurse after all. She's probably more skilled than anyone/anything else Monobear could lay his hands (paws?) on.

Also her treating Kuzuryuu is going to increase Saionji's despair, so there's an ulterior motive for those who feel like they need ulterior motives.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 20, 2013

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think there was a horror movie that looked like this. :stare:

And it seems like Saionji is still pissed at Kuzuryuu, so there's still some conflict among the group. Perhaps that will lead to the next murder.

Different color scheme, but there are a few surgery scenes in Dead Ringers that look kinda like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gdgkfIZdN0

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

In your defense, Hanamura does have the same body type as Monobear, down to the navel. monobear was hanamura wearing a thick layer of body paint all along

:stare: I can't stop looking at the banana hammock. Why can't I look away?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

It's a fine package no matter how you shake it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Mort posted:

What was this line in the original Japanese?

(Sorry, I missed this one)

愚かな生き物だな、人間とは

...And while I can't be positively 100 percent sure this was originally intended as a Shakespeare reference, the quote is almost word to word the same as one Midsummer's Night Dream Japanese translation I found online that I felt confident translating it that way.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

orenronen posted:

(Sorry, I missed this one)

愚かな生き物だな、人間とは

...And while I can't be positively 100 percent sure this was originally intended as a Shakespeare reference, the quote is almost word to word the same as one Midsummer's Night Dream Japanese translation I found online that I felt confident translating it that way.

Even if it isn't intended to be a Shakespeare reference, I can easily see him making one anyway. It fits his personality.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That image also reminds me of the fact that Sonia is wearing a swimsuit at the beginning of the game.

Did Souda just not notice or something, because he'd already seen her in one before.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That image also reminds me of the fact that Sonia is wearing a swimsuit at the beginning of the game.

Did Souda just not notice or something, because he'd already seen her in one before.

Yeah, but that's a school-style swimsuit. He was looking forward to seeing her in a bikini like the other girls were wearing when they showed up at the diner.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I shouldn't be talking this long to ask, but in the swimsuit pic, who are the two girls in the back near that banana hammock? I imagine that Ibuki's the one behind Souda, but is that Peko in the far end?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

TKMobile posted:

I shouldn't be talking this long to ask, but in the swimsuit pic, who are the two girls in the back near that banana hammock? I imagine that Ibuki's the one behind Souda, but is that Peko in the far end?

The Vita version of this image makes this much clearer:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

orenronen posted:

The Vita version of this image makes this much clearer:

Oh my god, I never noticed it before, but Gundam isn't just making a sand castle, he's making a sand castle for his hamsters to play in. :3:

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

not enough bone structure showing

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Oh my god, I never noticed it before, but Gundam isn't just making a sand castle, he's making a sand castle for his hamsters to play in. :3:

I think you mean He's making a sand lair from within which his Dark Gods may establish dominion over the edges of the lands.

KynElwynn
Jul 24, 2013

Reading too much into it theater presents: Two murderers and a victim depicted here. Sonia and Souda are potentially going to be the Celes/Yamada of this game. I hope this is baseless speculation because I really like Ibuki and Gundam.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

KynElwynn posted:

Reading too much into it theater presents: Two murderers and a victim depicted here. Sonia and Souda are potentially going to be the Celes/Yamada of this game. I hope this is baseless speculation because I really like Ibuki and Gundam.

Ibuki's a little too over-the-top wacky for me, but it'll be a sad, sad day if Gundam bites the dust.

Although, I'm almost wondering if Gundam won't be a killer at some point. he doesn't seem like one at all because of how seemingly out-of-touch with the world he is, but that could easily make for a good murder because nobody would suspect him. Then it turns out he killed the victim because they were giving off dark energy, or something else like that.

Also, I really really hope that at some point, one of the murderers is SUPER obvious. So obvious that it couldn't possibly be that person, it's just a red herring. Then during the trail everybody points fingers at that person at the start, but we know the person is being accused right at the start of the trial so it obviously isn't them. Then a piece of evidence shunts suspicion away from the culprit, the trial continues, then it turns out it was the first really obvious suspect the whole time. That'd probably be the most surprising way for the game to hide a culprit.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Well, given the interpersonal conflicts and relationships in the game thus far, there's a few possible predictable scenarios.
1. Owari accidentally kills Nidai.
2. Nidai accidentally kills Owari.
3. Souda kills someone to defend Sonia or something.
4. Nagito kills someone, anyone FOR HOPE OR SOMETHING BECAUSE HE IS LOONY-TOONS.
5. Saonji kills Kuryuzuu.
6. Saonji attempts to kill Kuryuzuu, kills someone else by accident.
7. Mikan gets tired of Saonji's poo poo, kills her.
8. Nagito succeeds in tricking an emotionally unstable person (Souda, Gundam, Saonji, Kuryuzuu) into killing him. Again, for crazy hope-related reasons.

Watch it be none of these at all. :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Nidai shoots Gundam's hamsters from his pecs on a dare and they hit Ibuki from halfway across the island complex, killing her. Calling it now.

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013

VanSandman posted:

I disagree with your interpretation. She has been observant, but no more than, say, Togami from DR1. Most of the investigation has been carried out by Hinata (and Naegi).

Eh, point, but Togami and Kirigiri were portrayed as being exceptionally observant (by way of comparison to the other students at least).

That's not the primary point I was getting at though; every time Nanami says something, well, hopeful and sensible that rallies the group together, I can't help but feel that she is setting her own death flags seeing as how she doesn't have protagonist plot armour.
Maybe this is all just paranoia, but Dangan Ronpa is the type of game that will disassemble anything it can get its hands on.

Anyways, back to the current case, we've been presented with a veritable Checkov's armory over the past few updates; I'm not sure if it would be more ironic if Spatula City's guesses were right or wrong. Anyone want to make a list of possible murder methods that have been hinted at so far so that we can see if the actual murder method will come out of the blue too?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Gensuki posted:

I think you mean He's making a sand lair from within which his Dark Gods may establish dominion over the edges of the lands.

Gundam is consistently the most adorable with his love for his little Gods of Destruction :allears:

CecilHoshino
Oct 2, 2013

Mm. Yes. Quite amused.

Zeruel posted:

Gundam is consistently the most adorable with his love for his little Gods of Destruction :allears:

The fact that you posted this with an avatar of BMO waving while holding a skateboard somehow exponentially amplifies the inherent adorable.

LukanFox posted:

Anyone want to make a list of possible murder methods that have been hinted at so far so that we can see if the actual murder method will come out of the blue too?

Well now where's the fun in that? We still haven't gotten to the Free Time events. If you think the armory is loaded now, just imagine how much more it's gonna fill up by the end of the (Ab)Normal Days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollove
May 31, 2013
The thing that bugs me the most about guessing who the murderer is this early is that monobear hasn't even gone through his motive yet. Or if there even WILL be one. Who knows? We certainly don't.

• Locked thread