Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

As we saw in the first game, he's a drat good pitcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 18, 2014

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
But how can they trust him to not cheat at everything like Dick Dastardly?

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.

HellCopter posted:

Because Dick Dastardly's cheats never worked out. Monobear is much more competent.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

HellCopter posted:

Because he is a bear.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Prinny would explode, then Monobear would explode, then all events from that point would be cancelled because of explosions.

That's how the competition would go I think.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Penakoto posted:

Prinny would explode, then Monobear would explode, then all events from that point would be cancelled because of explosions.

That's how the competition would go I think.

Nah, Monobear would just turn it into a sports competition of mutual killing.

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...
So...is that an actual thing? Do the mascot characters actually run a race like that? Because I would pay good money to see that, especially if one of them falls over at one point.
They're really hyping up the 1.2 Reload release, aren't they? I wonder why - the games themselves are quite recent so there must be some kind of bonus content.
Orenronen, will you be buying Reload? I already have 1 and 2 so wasn't going to originally, but if there's bonus content and its exciting enough...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

orenronen posted:

Here's one place I didn't expect to find a Dangan Ronpa collaboration -- this week's Famitsu's annual character sports competition feature:

All I can focus on is the Gacha Dragon from PAD and lemme tell you, every time you pull that poo poo and get a Golem for five stones you're despairing hardcore. Monobear hasn't got poo poo on that.

(And now I want a Monobear in PAD. That would be cool)

AlgoRhythmic
Mar 9, 2013

Torino posted:

They're really hyping up the 1.2 Reload release, aren't they?

It was released 3 weeks ago.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Torino posted:

So...is that an actual thing? Do the mascot characters actually run a race like that? Because I would pay good money to see that, especially if one of them falls over at one point.
They're really hyping up the 1.2 Reload release, aren't they? I wonder why - the games themselves are quite recent so there must be some kind of bonus content.
Orenronen, will you be buying Reload? I already have 1 and 2 so wasn't going to originally, but if there's bonus content and its exciting enough...

It'a an annual feature in Famitsu where they take funny pictures of guys in game character suits in funny sports poses.

At this point I'm committed enough to Dangan Ronpa that I can't not buy Reload. Ordinarily, I would've gotten it off PSN the day it was released, but since I'll be in Japan very soon I held off and will just pick it off the shelf there.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

flatluigi posted:

That's the way it was in the first game, wasn't it?

I might be misunderstanding you, but not everyone had the same time investment required.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Well, I'm not really sure what's going on at all, just bits and pieces, but I'm digging it.

Question. When you get your free time, can you use that to visit the Kuzuruyuu fella? Because he's had a pretty rough couple of days. Or will he be resting the entire time?

EDIT: By the way, Am i gonna get mauled if i forget the names? Because i'm having trouble keeping track.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 6, 2013

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Fargin Icehole posted:

EDIT: By the way, Am i gonna get mauled if i forget the names? Because i'm having trouble keeping track.

You could go back to the second post of the thread if you've forgotten a character's name

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Just a quick update: I fly to Japan tomorrow, and managed to record enough material to last me for updates for the entire trip (and most likely even beyond). This means I haven't worked on the immediate next update at all yet (though I don't feel too bad since Fedule is also away this week), so you're not going to see it until sometime next week after I settle down and figure out how to best compose these posts on a laptop instead of a large screen. As I said before, update schedule is going to be a bit unpredictable for the two months I'm abroad, but they will go on, alone with some more focus on DR/Zero.

Try not to get banned while I'm in transit, please.

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine
Have a safe flight, oren!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
God, the flight to Japan is drat boring... Hope yours is a safe one, Oren! Have fun in Nihon!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

resurgam40 posted:

God, the flight to Japan is drat boring... Hope yours is a safe one, Oren! Have fun in Nihon!

Depends on where you're flying from. If you're leaving from Vancouver, Calgary or the like you'll get an hour of turbulence to stay entertained. :v:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Have a safe trip!

I know this is crazy, but I'm super excited about all the updates you prepared. I look forward to Dangan Ronpa to kick of my weekend, so thank you so much!

Midelval
Dec 26, 2012
Have fun in Japan.

I just got back from a week in Tokyo and there was a lot of Dangan Ronpa merchandise about. It seems to be one of the big things at the moment.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Midelval posted:

Have fun in Japan.

I just got back from a week in Tokyo and there was a lot of Dangan Ronpa merchandise about. It seems to be one of the big things at the moment.

Well, there's 2-ish games that got announced recently.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

* ding dong ding dong *

Um, This is an announcement from Hope's Peak Academy's Field Trip Executive Committee...

Re: Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

Good morning! It's another perfect tropical day, huh?!
AAAAAAAAAAH!

Woohoo! Perfect! Fantastic reaction!
Mioda?! How the hell did you get in here?!

Honestly, Hajime-chan. You don't care much for your personal safety, do you?
I'm... pretty sure I locked my door last night.

You sure did! And Ibuki broke the lock!
Why the hell would you do that?!

Well, enough about that. There's something much more important to talk about!
W...What...?

Heh. Heh. Heh. Four hehs.
...No, there were only three.

Well, if you have time for pedantry, why don't you use it to come to the restaurant?!

You'll hear the rest over there! And with that... Ibuki bids you adieu!

She's like a tornado, that girl.

Still... What could be so important shed break into my cottage to tell me?

...I hope it isnt anything bad.

...I have a bad feeling about this.

Re: Beautiful Morning

Ah, good morning, Hinata-kun.

You may ignore me, but I'm happy that you allowed our eyes to meet. You really are a kind person.

By the way, Hinata-kun... After what happened to Kuzuryuu-kun, you understand what I'm saying a little better, don't you?
What... do you mean?

I thought hed died trying to protect Pekoyama-san... At the time, I said it was unconscionable...
But... Kuzuryuu-kun lived, and then he returned to us.

He used Pekoyama-san's death as a stepping stone, and now his hope is stronger! It shines brighter!
You...!

Huh? You don't see it?

Well, regardless, that's the proper way for hope to manifest itself. And that's why you can all move forward.

But enough with the small talk. We have to hurry to the restaurant.
See you there.

How long is he going to keep this nonsense going?!

Mu. It's you, Hinata. Did Mioda get to you too?
She did...
Did she go around waking everybody up? Did she break your lock too, Nidai?

Ku, of course not!
She banged on my door in a steady 3-3-7 beat and woke me up!

That must have been irritating... Wait, did she only break my lock?

But, what the hell happened that she'd go around doing that?
I have an incredibly bad feeling! Let's go, right now!

Yeah... I should hurry too.

Good morning. The weather's great again, thankfully.
"Again", huh?

Now that I think about it, it hasn't rained once since we came to this island.

How come? No... it's best not to think about it too much.

Music fades out

As soon as I entered the restaurant, I was greeted with a peculiar sight...

Everyones backs were turned to me, and they were gathered around... something.

...Hey, what's going on?

Then, when I peeked over to see what they were looking at...

My humble greetings to you all!

Re: Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

...Kuzuryuu?! Is it okay for you to walk about?!
It's not... It's really not, but he...!
I wish to speak, if youll see fit to hear me!
Before you stands Fuyuhiko, of the family Kuzuryuu!
A novice, still untrained in the family business!
I beg to intrude upon your notice!!

Re: Beautiful Morning

What... was that?

I...It was nothing. Just a simple greeting...

That... was no "simple" greeting.

Besides... Kuzuryuu greeting us?
I think that's the first time that ever happened.

Never mind that... That eyepatch you have there...

It's not a big deal.

It is a big deal. I mean... your eye...

Its gone, isnt it...?

Heh. I still got another. Besides... this is gonna do wonders for my reputation.

K...Kuzuryuu-san...

Music halts

What are you acting so cool for?! Do you even understand your position?!

Saionji...!

Re: Despair Syndrome

Did you think if you put on some air wed just forgive you? Just like that?

Don't you get it? It's your fault big sis Koizumi is dead!
...No. Not just big sis Koizumi. It's your fault Pekoyama died, too.

Its all your fault!

U...Um... Saionji-san... We're all finally back together, so...

Huh? Back together? You're not gonna say we're comrades or something, are you?

This murderer will never be anyone's comrade!

Yes. You're right. It's all my fault.
I understand that now... It's my fault they're dead...

Are you trying to be defiant?

No... not at all...

Music halts

With every word he spoke, his voice got more and more strained, until...

Re: All All Apologies

...K...Kuzuryuu?!
Huh? What now?
Who do you think you're kidding?! You think if you bow down and cry a little we're just going to forgive you?!
You think such a lazy apology can even start to cover what you've done?!
No... I don't think so at all...

Re: Living to the Fullest

W...What the...?

T...That's...
Hyaaaaaaaaaaa! It's blood! It's blood, isn't it?!

Hiiiiiiiiiii! Kuzuryuu-san...! He stabbed himself in the stomach!
He what?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAH! Did he just go all harakiri on us?!

W...What... are you doing...?

I know such a lazy apology won't gain me any forgiveness...
It's just... I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't do at least this much...!

You fool! Who slices their own stomach for something like that?!

N...Never mind that! We have to get him to the hospital...!

O...Of course! Souda, lend me a hand!

S...Sure. Got it.

No... I can walk on my own...!

No, you can't!

Fuyuu... And I just finished stitching up all your wounds... Now I have to do them again!

Feh... How pitiful of me... Even like this, I'm just an annoyance...

Forget it! Let's just go...!

Tsumiki, Nidai and Souda gingerly carried Kuzuryuu from the restaurant...

Leaving me with...

Re: Welcome Despair Academy

What... what the hell do you even say to that?

Hey, Saionji-san. I've been thinking for a while now...

What would Koizumi-san say at a time like this? You were close to her - what do you think?

What would... big-sis Koizumi say...?

What would she say...?
She'd get mad... Really, really mad...
But then, after she calmed down...

I guess its not really fair to expect us to be completely rational right now...

Before coming to this island, none of us really had to confront death...
We werent prepared... And now that we have to deal with it, we dont know how. How could we?

Were not strong enough...

Nevertheless, there is something strange going on.
Komaeda... not now. Please. Just... dont.
No, Im serious!
Where do you think Owari-san has gone to at a terrible time like this?

Hey, yeah! Its not like her to miss breakfast, is it? That is strange!

Hmmm... Whatever it is... I have a bad feeling about this.
You do...?
I mean, dont you think shes been acting strange lately?

That one is always acting strange.

Hmmm... But... I'm still worried.

Somehow, though, I dont think Owaris the person we ought to be worrying about...

Music fades out

After finishing a peculiar, moody breakfast, we returned to our cottages.

That was quite a breakfast... Its not even noon, and already Im exhausted...

Id better do something to cheer up. We can't afford any wasted days.

Free Time Start

Since I'm not in a position to take votes right now, next time is a special edition Free Time where I get to pick who we hang out with. Let me warn you in advance: whoever I choose has nothing to do with the survival chances of the characters in question, so no silly meta speculation. I'm picking them because I like their arcs.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 14, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

orenronen posted:

What... what the hell do you even say to that?

Is a pretty good summary of that scene. Can't wait to see who's up for Free Time!

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
loving hell Kuzuryuu! What did he use to stab himself with, because I don't see any kind of knife in his hands at all?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
It seems like he stabbed himself prior to everyone showing up and, somehow, the blood didn't seep through the suit until he finally caved.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

A Bystander posted:

It seems like he stabbed himself prior to everyone showing up and, somehow, the blood didn't seep through the suit until he finally caved.

Yeah, I can see what what with Hinata noticing how strained Kuzuryuu's voice was getting over time.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
What confuses me is how he managed to do it without making it super obvious that he stabbed himself, like blood on the hands or ground before or his suit looking jacked up.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I can't say for sure, but I think Kuzuryuu stabbed himself either as he was falling down or just before, and not before the entire scene began. I'm not sure what he used, but that - as Ibuki might say - is pedantry.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Nanami is awesome. Subtly pointing out to Saionji that her "big sis" would not have wanted her to hate Kuzuryuu forever.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well... if someone breaking into your apartment doesn't wake you up, a seppuku attempt before breakfast certainly would!

Yeesh, poor Kuzuuryu. And good on Nanami for trying at least to curb Xaionji's vindictiveness.

orenronen posted:

I mean, dont you think shes been acting strange lately?

That one is always acting strange.

Also, that frigging Gundam of all people thinks he has any room to criticize someone for being strange makes my day.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, Nanami seems to have taken a very strong maternal role in the group. I hope she doesn't die, I think it would be devastating to the group. Compared to her counterpart in the first game, Kirigiri, I think she has significantly better odds of making it though, since Kirigiri was kind of at odds with everyone else, whereas I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill Nanami.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Christ, Kuzuryuu. At least he's serious about it.

And if I learned anything from Lone Wolf and Cub, he performed a formal greeting to another Yakuza group?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Jesus Christ, Kuzuryuu. At least he's serious about it.

And if I learned anything from Lone Wolf and Cub, he performed a formal greeting to another Yakuza group?

From what Oren tells me, yes. There aren't any really comparable (and characteristic) formalities in the big book of western mob stereotypes to draw from, so Oren translated it literally and I more or less just rolled with it (I only really changed one line in any major way). As it was, it came across as simply an uncharacteristically formal (and grovel-y) greeting, which didn't at all preserve the obvious implications in the Japanese but it got the job done for this scene.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 14, 2013

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fedule posted:

From what Oren tells me, yes. There aren't any really comparable (and characteristic) formalities in the big book of western mob stereotypes to draw from, so Oren translated it literally and I more or less just rolled with it (I only really changed one line in any major way). As it was, it came across as simply an uncharacteristically formal (and grovel-y) greeting, which didn't at all preserve the obvious implications in the Japanese but it got the job done for this scene.

Do you know if anywhere there is literal translation and explanation of the implications of a standard Yakuza greeting? That sounds really interesting.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So, how long till Kuzuryuu gets a cyborg body and starts dueling Monobeasts?

Also Ibuki what the hell don't break into people's rooms.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Aw, dammit. I hope Akane's not dead already and she's off somewhere being crazy... but more pressing the point, is how the hell did Ibuki break Hinata's door lock without, like, waking him up? It's yet again too early to speculate on anything else, but this feels like the start of something else and the scene with Kuzuryuu is trying to distract us from it. Or a Chekov's Gun being established that now Hinata's dorm room can be accessed by any creepy jerk whenever the fancy strikes.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So wait, is breaking locks not against the rules this time around? And does this mean Hinata's lock is just broken now? How's he gonna get that fixed? Who's the (super high-school level) super on this goddamn island, anyway? Monobear? Souda?

e: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Akane isn't dead already because we have Free Time right now. There'd be something mandatory happening if someone was about to be found dead. ^^^^^^^^^^

e2: VVVVVVVVVVVV He doesn't need a blade, he has massive unhealed wounds already. Doing something like dropping into the fetal position rapidly and all at once when you're not even supposed to be walking around could totally reopen them without the need for anything sharp to be involved. VVVVVVVVVVV

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 14, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So the day starts with Ibuki's wackiness and ends with Kuzuryuu falling on a blade he had... somewhere. Stashed in his suit, maybe?

Dangan Ronpa sure is a wild ride.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I can't wait for the broken lock to come back to haunt Hinata 2 or 3 chapters on down the line.

...or never come up again, ever because they wanted us to think about it. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
It does raise some questions though that I hope get answered beyond "Ibuki is a spazz". Did she really break it herself, and why go to that length for just Hinata? Or if someone had already broken it, what were they looking for: something Hinata supposedly had or a go at killinating him?

• Locked thread