Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

He was hit by a bazooka, and I doubt he gets to be rushed to the hospital to be treated not only by who is for all intents and purposes god, and the SHSL nurse. No, he's dead. You think they'd pull the same bait and switch not only twice in the same game, but in the same loving chapter? No way. And he was hit by a bazooka.

They already used it twice on the same character, why not go for the hat trick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Crowetron posted:

They already used it twice on the same character, why not go for the hat trick?

I don't think that the second Kuzuryu scene was really them teasing that he's gonna die, it's just him dealing with grief in the only way he knows how. It's a great moment really and shows just how isolated he is from the rest of the cast.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's possible Monomi might pull her 'Nidai didn't break any rules! You have to save him!' thing again to try to get him to the hospital or something.

But this would be an interesting way to cut down the cast without having a double murder.

Still, best character, nooo. :ohdear:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I gotta say, the cast in this game is much better than the last. There's only maybe 2 characters I wouldn't mind seeing go when in the first game I didn't care for basically anyone outside of the surviving core and the Preppy guy, (never forget)

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Looks like monobear should be on trial for murder...again

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zyla posted:

Looks like monobear should be on trial for murder...again

You know, it'd actually be kind of interesting if that happened. Monobear actually can't weasel his way out of this killing and, following his own rules, goes on trial for murder. Given everybody saw it, it wouldn't take long to do him in. And then you have either whoever was controlling him step out from the shadows in a direct way. And, thinking about it (this is all mostly coming stream of consciousness, so if it doesn't make sense that's why) but if this game does turn out to be set in a virtual reality Monobear could actually be an AI and thus could be considered separate from whoever is controlling him for the purposes of a trial. Monobear the AI gets offed, and the controller steps into the light. Seems kind of early for that, but who knows?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Three possibilities stand out:
  • Nidai is dead; :saddowns: Monobear announces the start of an investigation, claiming someone manipulated events to use him as a murder weapon. This is a stretch because it requires someone to A.) plan a murder without further prompting from Monobear and B.) desire the death of Owari or Nidai. Irrespective of your taste in characters, they're a couple of the least antagonistic people on this island.
  • Nidai is alive; :unsmith: it continues the trends of both the cast behaving more proactively and further shaking up the pattern of each chapter. And of course he still might bite it later. Everyone knows where the hospital is, so the culprit could seize the opportunity to finish him off. Mikan's the obvious choice for patsy in this scenario.
  • Nidai is dead; :smith: there's nothing more to it than that and it gets everyone all hosed up and sad about the randomness of their own mortality. This is the most depressing option, which could also be the point. Nidai's death could very well be the murder-motivation for this chapter.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Rangpur posted:

Three possibilities stand out:

Two more:
  • Nidai is dead; :smithicide: Monobear announces the start of an investigation, claiming someone manipulated events to use him as a murder weapon. He's right; Owari collaborated with Monobear to set this whole thing up in order to get Nidai to eat a bullet for her. If he didn't jump in, Monobear would've just laughed and patted her condecendingly on the head, but now everyone's gotta vote to kill someone who looks innocent.
  • Nidai is dead :unsmigghh: Monobear announces the start of an investigation, claiming someone manipulated events to use him as a murder weapon. He's technically correct by the rules he's playing by, which would indict Owari or some other obviously innocent party as victims. Everyone has to make the choice to kill the scapegoat or die.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
You see, this is why I hate this thread.
Goddammit people, it's not even sure he's dead ! Can't we at least try to not guess everything please ? I'm trying to enjoy the game here !

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

There are two solutions; you could only read Oren's posts (you will miss Fedule posts and fanart) or you can skim for fanart and the relevant avatars while ignoring all of the other posts.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Okay, moving on. This isn't a lead in to a dumb theory, or anything, but somebody remind me... IS the "Do Not Attack Monobear" rule in effect in this game? I mean, expressly, has it been brought up by MB or in the rule book that you can't attack him, because I don't think we ever got the actual explanation since no one punt-kicked him into Boomington upon meeting the little bastard.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TKMobile posted:

Okay, moving on. This isn't a lead in to a dumb theory, or anything, but somebody remind me... IS the "Do Not Attack Monobear" rule in effect in this game? I mean, expressly, has it been brought up by MB or in the rule book that you can't attack him, because I don't think we ever got the actual explanation since no one punt-kicked him into Boomington upon meeting the little bastard.

Hm...You know, I'm not sure that it is - at least not in a formal sense. I definitely remember that when the party first made to attack Monobear after he first appeared, he just called the monobeasts and left it at that rather than citing any particular rule like he did when he killed 'Junko'/Mukuro in the first game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The only relevant rules I can find at the start of the game are:

orenronen posted:

Rule no. 1
Excess violence is forbidden on this island. Let's live peacefully and quietly together.

Rule no. 4
The supervising teacher will not interfere directly with student activities, unless any rules are broken.

If I remember correctly, Monobear was mentioned as not having changed or removed any of Monomi's pre-existing rules, and I don't remember if he's added anything beyond the rules regarding how the School Trials work yet.

So it all depends on whether or not challenging Monobear to a duel and being unable to land a single attack on him counts as "excess violence."

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth

W.T. Fits posted:

The only relevant rules I can find at the start of the game are:

If I remember correctly, Monobear was mentioned as not having changed or removed any of Monomi's pre-existing rules, and I don't remember if he's added anything beyond the rules regarding how the School Trials work yet.

So it all depends on whether or not challenging Monobear to a duel and being unable to land a single attack on him counts as "excess violence."

Considering what happened to Mukuro, I'm assuming it does count . but I think that was supposed to be a case of rule-breaking.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the interesting thing here is that DR1 Monobear probably wouldn't kill in this scenario. Sure, he'd threaten to kill, since he needs to keep the students in his control, but his goal is to prolong the agony so that Despair Wins. He wanted them to kill each other, not kill them himself. Remember, he had a chance to kill the whole group when they guess wrong by naming Naegi or Kirigiri as the killer of Mukuro. Instead he pretends that they guessed right to continue things.

I really don't think his goals are the same this time.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 9, 2013

lambj3
Dec 29, 2012
I don't think it was an actual rule stated, but I could see Monobear arguing that Nidai interfering with Owari's punishment is breaking the rules. Therefore, his death doesn't break any rules, assuming he's actually dead.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Bobulus posted:

I think the interesting thing here is that DR1 Monobear probably wouldn't kill in this scenario. Sure, he'd threaten to kill, since he needs to keep the students in his control, but his goal is to prolong the agony so that Despair Wins. He wanted them to kill each other, not kill them himself. Remember, he had a chance to kill the whole group when they guess wrong by naming Naegi or Kirigiri as the killer of Mukuro. Instead he pretends that they guessed right to continue things.

I really don't think his goals are the same this time.

He took a shot at killing Mondo when he grabbed him.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Anatharon posted:

He took a shot at killing Mondo when he grabbed him.

Well, that was just setting an example. And he then "forgives" Mondo and drops the matter, so he probably wasn't going to go through with it, anyway. He chose to let his co-conspirator to be the one to set an example with, instead. If he was planning on killing Mondo instead of scaring everyone, he could have just detonated the monobear without the 20 seconds of Warning Bomb Beeping Noises.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bobulus posted:

Well, that was just setting an example. And he then "forgives" Mondo and drops the matter, so he probably wasn't going to go through with it, anyway. He chose to let his co-conspirator to be the one to set an example with, instead. If he was planning on killing Mondo instead of scaring everyone, he could have just detonated the monobear without the 20 seconds of Warning Bomb Beeping Noises.

Here's the thing though, let's pretend Mondo wasn't smart enough to figure out the Monobear body was a bomb and it detonated in his face. Do you think Monobear would have stopped everything to go patch up Mondo? Of course not.

Nidai is dead. That's all there is to it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TKMobile posted:

Rule or not, attacking a guy who can control machinegun toting Megazords is a pretty bad idea.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Who What Now posted:

Here's the thing though, let's pretend Mondo wasn't smart enough to figure out the Monobear body was a bomb and it detonated in his face. Do you think Monobear would have stopped everything to go patch up Mondo? Of course not.

Nidai is dead. That's all there is to it.

Counterpoint, our resident Yakuza is still alive.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
I imagine "Salt Seeping Through This Wounded Heart" sounding like Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
In the real world, I'd say "Nidai is dead, he got hit by a loving bazooka". But by that logic he should be in pieces across the entire beach, not having dramatic last words. On top of that, why would Monobear let Nidai die when Owari's the one who actually attacked him? Even if it is more despair inducing, this Monobear seems to be restricted by the rules that are already in place.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

orenronen posted:

Well, you see... We're from different dimensions, you and I. Our worldviews are completely different.
It's like a character from a crime comic trying to defeat a superhero.
Upupu. Why even bother?

This kinda got overlooked in favour of the whole Nidai thing, but is this a reference to DC Comics (Superman and Batman) or is it supposed to be a more generic thing?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like Owari should look less fine than she does after taking a Monobear punch.

And by crime comic Monobear probably meant like, Dick Tracy or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mikl posted:

This kinda got overlooked in favour of the whole Nidai thing, but is this a reference to DC Comics (Superman and Batman) or is it supposed to be a more generic thing?

Seems too generic of a statement to be a reference to DC.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Justin_Brett posted:

I feel like Owari should look less fine than she does after taking a Monobear punch.

And by crime comic Monobear probably meant like, Dick Tracy or something.

He probably meant something like Conan from Case Closed.

-EDIT-

Or some other crime solving genre anime or manga.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

This... This isn’t real, right?

Ocean Breeze Dead End

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! NIDAI JUST DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIED!!

Awawawa... Oh, the nobility!
I was all ready to get rid of Miss Rule-breaker Owari-san, and then...

What a blunder! I ended up killing Mr. Uninvolved Nidai-kun!

W...Wait...
His heart's still beating... just barely, but still...!
He's not dead yet!

Fueh... he isn't?!

Then we have to hurry and save him!

Monobear... You can save his life, right...?!
I'm sure you can... just like you saved mine. Just do it!

P...Pwecisely!
Kiwwing someone who didn't bweak any wules is against the wules itself!

How about we call it a fair exchange?

...A what?

In exchange for forgiving Owari-san for breaking the rules, we'll sacrifice Nidai-kun.

That's fair, isn't it?!

Y...You're not going to save him?!

Well, I guess I should... It's going to be quite a bother, but such a useless death is pretty boring.

Fine, fine. I'll make a special exception and play my trump card!

Music fades out

At that moment, a siren started wailing somewhere close by, and seemed to be getting nearer and nearer...

Re: Mr. Monobear's Extracurricular Lesson

...Howawa! Didn't we do this before?!
Leave the rest to me! I'm also known by my second name, Dr. Murder, you know!
You're even reusing your lines!
Emergency! Emergency! Dispatching this patient to Monobear's 24 hour Emergency Center!
See you bastards later!

The ambulance carrying Nidai drove away into the distance.

Re: Welcome Despair Academy

What the hell...?
Why did this have to happen...?

Hey, he'll be fine, right? Monobear can save him, can't he?
O...Of course he can! Nidai's going to be just fine!

We just got Kuzuryuu-san back, and now Nidai-san is gone...

I...I can't take it anymore...!

Give me a break and stop wailing, will you? It's not helping anything.

B...But... But but but...!

No more buts! This happened because we've all grown too lenient!
Everyone says we should all be friends... But aren’t we just deceiving ourselves?!

We're just... ignoring the situation we’re in.
It has nothing to do with friendship or cooperation or solidarity... The weak get killed one after another...
Anyone can betray at any moment... And that's why we can't trust anyone.
That's what this place is all about.

Are you saying our friendship is all meaningless?

If it had any meaning, this wouldn't have happened to big bro Nidai!

It wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for that stupid devotion of his, would it...?

...Hey, you get it now, right?
When a stupid weak girl like you acts without thinking, you aren’t just hurting yourself.

Do me a favor and don't come near me again. I’d hate to die a meaningless death.

S...Saionji-san... Blaming Owari-san now will not accomplish anything...

We don't need to worry about that ol’ man...

...What?

Sigh. How childish. It's all her fault and she's not even worried.

O...Owari-san...? Aren't you concerned for Nidai-san's health...?

Shut up! I told you, there's no need to worry!

I've... witnessed first hand what kind of a beast Nidai is. No way he's going down from something like this...
I guarantee it! Nidai’s coming back!

A...And when he does... When he comes back... I'll apologize properly.
I mean, if I wasn’t so weak, I wouldn’t have gotten him into this...
So when he comes back... I have to tell him how sorry I am.
O...Owari...

We walked back to the hotel in silence.
Everyone knew that talking would only increase the tension.

What happened to Nidai served as a reminder...

Everyone believes they aren’t going to die. That’s just how the human mind works.

But here on this island, there’s an incontrovertible law. No matter how hard you struggle... Sooner or later, one way or another...

...People will die.

We’ve been thrown into a true nightmare. The worst kind of nightmare...
The kind that can make you think you’ve woken up...

...Only to begin all over again.

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

Monobear Theater

Super Monobear Tales, Chapter 58: "A Tengu Came Down from the Mountain!"
Once upon a time, there was a village where everyone lived in fear of the Tengu demons who lived in the mountain.
The Tengu seduced the village women, stole the food supplies, and did as they please...
But... was it really the Tengu who were evil?
Perhaps it's the humans, who took over the Tengu's mountain, corrupting the nature?
Honestly, it's not the demons who should be feared! It's you humans!
Gather up, everyone! Now's the time to go fight those humans!
We have to protect our great nature from them, and bring back a world where demons can live in peace!
Super Monobear Tales, ~Fin~

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh, okay, he didn't die then. Rad.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I know the first game had Sakura the super-wrestler who was a little over the top, power wise, but having Nidai apparently tank a bazooka blast to the chest utterly destroys my suspension of disbelief.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

At least they acknowledged that they were doing this again - even complaining that Monobear was saying the same lines again.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know about this. Nidai clearly isn't dead quite yet, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Monobear can't (or "can't") save him - to say nothing of the possibility of someone murdering him while he's weak. At any rate, the game's certainly kept me guessing how the next case is going to go down.

Brony Hunter posted:

I know the first game had Sakura the super-wrestler who was a little over the top, power wise, but having Nidai apparently tank a bazooka blast to the chest utterly destroys my suspension of disbelief.

Yes, because this game's physics have been so grounded up until now.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

orenronen posted:

...Howawa! Didn't we do this before?!
Leave the rest to me! I'm also known by my second name, Dr. Murder, you know!
You're even reusing your lines!

:allears:

It's interesting how this moment differs when serialized versus how it would be playing the game. The worry that Nidai was dead on the spot would've last about two minutes if we were there playing the game; here, because of the way the updates were posted, the moment had a totally different effect and a much more serious tone, at least for those of us who are reading this as oren posts it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Brony Hunter posted:

I was going to go through and copy paste all the instances of the game completely defying physics and logic but rather than spend the effort I'll just take this time to laugh at you

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Dangan ronpa is not actually real, but rather a work of fiction.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
At the very least, this development makes it hard to guess what will happen after this. There still isn't really any Monobear provided motive, other than "If you get away with murder, you can go home. Maybe. If there's still a home left for you."

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

Do me a favor and don't come near me again. I’d hate to die a meaningless death.

Holy poo poo, that's cold. :stare:

And it seems like Saionji's learned exactly the wrong lesson from this whole episode; if anything, this underscores the importance of everybody working together. And as rash as Akane's actions may have been, at least she understands who the real enemy is here.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Brony Hunter posted:

Well, drat. Now I can see how Nidai managed to make the top three toughest Dangan Ronpa characters list. Not only did he tank that bazooka blast without being blown to pieces, there's a chance he could actually survive it.

Though he is kind of a Schrodinger's Nekomaru at the moment - we won't know for sure whether he's alive or dead until we see him again.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Wyvernil posted:

Well, drat. Now I can see how Nidai managed to make the top three toughest Dangan Ronpa characters list. Not only did he tank that bazooka blast without being blown to pieces, there's a chance he could actually survive it.

Though he is kind of a Schrodinger's Nekomaru at the moment - we won't know for sure whether he's alive or dead until we see him again.

Maybe he could come back in a different way, like how Chihiro did with Alter Ego. Except instead of Nidai coming back as a computer program, he comes back as a training video. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Wyvernil posted:

:allears: It's like Spike Chunsoft decided to just do the exact thing that would gently caress with players every time.

Kind of like orenronen and his choice of places to end posts. Nice work. :argh:

• Locked thread