Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Before I get back to working on the next update like I should, here's a Funfact™*

Ever wonder why, given that DR2's subtitle translates so cleanly to "Goodbye Despair Academy", NISA elected to shorten it to simply "Goodbye Despair"? There's a very good reason: Graphic Design!

There just wasn't enough room!

*May not be factual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I think "Goodbye Despair" is a better subtitle than "Goodbye Despair Academy". Much more powerful. Less Japan-subtitle-y, you know what I mean.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I like the change. Also glad that they've elected not to use "Trigger Happy Havoc", which made the actual name of the game more into a subtitle than the other way around.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Wait, Dangan Ronpa 2? Not Super Dangan Ronpa 2?

AlgoRhythmic
Mar 9, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wait, Dangan Ronpa 2? Not Super Dangan Ronpa 2?

Yeah, they dropped the "super"-part of the title for some reason.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think "Goodbye Despair" is a better subtitle than "Goodbye Despair Academy". Much more powerful. Less Japan-subtitle-y, you know what I mean.

"Sayonara, Zetsubou Gakuin" is almost certainly a direct reference to manga series "Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei" ("Goodbye, Despair-sensei"). That's a series that's well known among what I think is a good cross section of DR players, both in Japan and in the west. That is, it's a well-known series that many anime/manga fans in the west recognize, but not super-well-known and I imagine a lot Japanese players don't get the reference.

Whether such references should be kept or removed is an open question. I like keeping jokes that some of the audience will get (I do remove or replace those that have no chance of being recognized by anyone, re: Komadori Sisters). Your translation preference mileage may differ.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That's one of the changes I don't mind. Goodbye Despair reads cleanly and fits the false-start of the game, and nixing the Super avoids people going "wait there was a vanilla Dangan Rompa 2? Did they nerf Mikan's fanservice? Is Nidai still top-tier?". So it's fine.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Dias posted:

That's one of the changes I don't mind. Goodbye Despair reads cleanly and fits the false-start of the game, and nixing the Super avoids people going "wait there was a vanilla Dangan Rompa 2? Did they nerf Mikan's fanservice? Is Nidai still top-tier?". So it's fine.

I also like writing while thinking your audience is dumb. Do you really think "Super-" (a very deliberate SNES/Super Famicom game titling joke that works in both markets) was okay for the sophisticated Japanese but Americans are too stupid for it?

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Fedule posted:

Ever wonder why, given that DR2's subtitle translates so cleanly to "Goodbye Despair Academy", NISA elected to shorten it to simply "Goodbye Despair"? There's a very good reason: Graphic Design!

There just wasn't enough room!

*May not be factual

Game designer here! You would be terrified at how often this is the best reason for a design change. I can totally believe this was the deciding reason.

This is also one of the reasons internationalization is tough. German phrases are just so bloody long. They don't fit anywhere. It's terrible. Screw you, German :mad:

(Words are converted to lowercase because they flat-out don't fit otherwise, and some of those buttons are longer than necessary in English just so we could fit enough text in other languages.)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

orenronen posted:

I also like writing while thinking your audience is dumb. Do you really think "Super-" (a very deliberate SNES/Super Famicom game titling joke that works in both markets) was okay for the sophisticated Japanese but Americans are too stupid for it?

Just a joke about fighting game "sequels", dude. No need to blow a gasket.

EDIT: although my point about the subtitle wasn't made in jest. As you said, it's a matter of wanting to keep a reference or not, and one that isn't that easy to get - I'm not very involved with anime and manga, but I'm more involved than most people and I'd never gotten it, so...

Dias fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 19, 2014

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Dias posted:

Just a joke about fighting game "sequels", dude. No need to blow a gasket.

Oh, this is most definitely a SNES joke, not a Street Fighter one. Many, many SNES games were prefixed with a Super- even when they weren't sequels.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ikoroshia

Oh, Hinata-kun. You came, just like I thought.
Does that mean you finally noticed?
We're dealing with copycat murders based on the movie playing here...
I haven't even seen the movie yet, so I don't really know...

I see... Well, you’d better go see it then, hadn’t you? We’ll talk about it after.

Hellooo?! Is anyone here?! You have a customer!

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

Coming! How may I be of assistance?!

...Oh? By "customer", did you mean Hinata-kun?
D...Do you have a problem with that?

Upupu... You were dead set on avoiding this movie, but it looks like you’ve come around in the end!
Oh, I get it! You were playing hard to get! Wow, you’re good!

Yeah, you’re a pro! You even bought a 1.5 million yen Monobear Sticker to support your act!

...A 1.5 million yen sticker?
I...It's nothing...!

It’s true! In exchange for not seeing the movie, Hinata-kun bought a 1.5 million yen sticker.
Here, have a look!
S...Stop it!

Before I could react, Monobear pulled the sticker from my pocket.

Here!

"Sorry for being born an idiot"

Y...You bought that? For 1.5 million?!

Upupu... And after all that, he’s going to see the movie anyway.
J...Just give me the drat ticket!

Okay! Here you go!

As it says right here on the ticket, it's valid only today, and only for this screening!
Oh, and it’s strictly one ticket per customer! You bastards get just one chance to watch my movie for free!

See? I stamped it with today's date, so no fooling around!
Don't worry. There’s no way I’d want to see this more than once...

I'm off to prepare for the screening. Please hold on just a little while longer.

Ikoroshia

Hey, Hinata-kun... If I were you, I'd keep this ticket handy for later.
...Huh? What for?
Oh, you know. Just for good luck.

Evidence Bullet Get posted:

Complimentary Ticket

A complimentary ticket, issued by Monobear, to see his movie.
Limited to one per customer. Valid only on date shown, for one screening only.

Please disregard the stamp jumping around on the face of the ticket.

Sigh... I guess I’ll have to wait for Monobear to get everything ready...

Let's see if anything changed.

Oh, hey... Wasn’t there something on this counter before?

This looks like a tote bag made of hemp fabric with Monomi's face printed on it...

Oh? Did that catch your eye? It's a universal tote-bag with a multitude of functions!
It's also a limited edition. I only have one to sell!

If that tote bag isn't here anymore, that means...

Oh? Have you come around on the bag, too?

Well too bad! It's already been sold!
...Who bought it?

Oh, silly you! I can't tell you that! Did you really think I'd just reveal the culprit that easily?!

So, it was the culprit who bought it?

Ah. Oops!
You did say it was a limited edition, didn't you? That there's only one?

Oh, that... Well... By "limited" I maaay have meant one person instead of one bag...
...That's not what you said back then.

See, when you buy one you get another for free. A perfectly valid way to attract customers.
You know? You're starting to really get on my nerves.

Monobear's Testimony

The tote bag sold at the movie theater was a limited edition, sold to just one person.
Supposedly, when you buy one you get another for free.

And now, please forget about my inadvertent slips of the tongue...

...And head into the theater! The preparations are all complete!

Upupu... I can't wait.

Ikoroshia

Let's go see this thing.

Music stops.

* BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ *

Ahem... We apologize for keeping you waiting.
Presenting world-renowned director Monobear's cinematic masterpiece, that may or may not have made America weep...
"The Wizard of Monomi 2.5D"

That title isn’t very encouraging. Besides, “2.5D”? He couldn’t even go all the way?

Please enjoy the presentation.

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

Monobear was born in a boring old village where more people died than were being born. It was filled with boring old people living boring old lives, waiting to be forgotten forever.

But one fateful day, an AH64 "Apache" attack helicopter on a standard training mission nearby somehow caused a hurricane...

...And Monobear was swept up and whisked away to the Land of Monomi.

Monobear, much to his surprise, found himself longing for his boring old hometown, and the days he would spend swindling the boring old people out of their small change.

And so, he set off on a journey to meet The Wizard Monomi, who, it was said, could grant any wish.

Along the way, he met some new dependable friends...

He met a Monomi Scarecrow but found her to be lacking a brain, so he suggested to her that she commit suicide...

...And she complied at once, hanging herself on a rope.

He met a Monomi Lion but found her to be quite cowardly, so he pinned her to a tree with some arrows.

He also met a Tin Monomi, but found her to have no heart, so he had her broken down for scrap.

After these and other adventures, he finally found the wizard Monomi.

It doesn’t really matter how, but he managed to defeat her...

...And when he did, he took over her kingdom.

And so, Monobear made all the boring old people into his servants, and used all their pension money to fund his wonderful life of luxury.

And they all lived happily ever after.

Oh, aren't movies wonderful?! Wasn’t that just an avalanche of raw emotional drama?!

See you later at the school trial!
Thank you for coming, and goodbye!

Ikoroshia

...The phrase “stunned silence” was invented for moments like this.

I... won't even ask if you liked it. Your face tells me everything I need to know.
That really was the worst movie... Was it even really a "movie"?

But... you do see what I meant earlier, right?
Yeah...

The way the characters in the movie were killed is similar to today's murders...

Mioda's body, which I found first, was hanged with a rope, just like the scarecrow...

And then, when we found Saionji's body, it was taped to a pillar, much like the lion was to pinned to the tree.

With just one more person dead, the copycat murders could have been perfected. It didn't end up that way, though...

Must suck to be the culprit, huh?

Yeah, if the culprit's goal was to complete the copycat murders, they must be fuming right now, but...

...It's still a mystery what they were thinking.

The Wizard of Monomi

A movie directed by Monobear in which three characters die.
First, Scarecrow Momoni hanged herself with a rope .
Then, the Monomi lion was pinned to a tree with arrows.
Finally, the Tin Monomi was broken down for scrap.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can see why Komaeda hated that movie. That was an experience.

And I love the self-depreciating stab at 2.5D.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ya gotta love Komaeda's utter disbelief towards Hinata's 1.5 million yen debt. :allears:

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013
Two bags for the price of one huh?

Everything is leading in a predictable direction...

I'm not quite ready to commit to the Mikan theory just yet, if only because it would make the most sense for her to be the third intended victim. If there ever was a third intended victim... There are still some possibilities not yet explored I suppose. Hopefully the next update clears some things up I've been doubting on. This update didn't really show me much unexpected aside from the double of the Monomi bag, and I'd been assuming that the bag in the video was just a fake since we never saw the mark on it.

Then again, Monobear didn't actually say conclusively that there was a second bag, just implied there might be one.

Monobear doesn't generally lie though... Unless it directly suits his purposes.

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013
Edit: oops, double post

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

orenronen posted:

The combination of speechlessness and utter dumbfounded disgust that face manages to convey is just fantastic, even if it is sheer coincidence. :allears:

So... a second bag, huh. The evidence in favor of the recording not being of the actual crime scene seems to be piling up. It also enables the recording to have been made after Mioda's death. Before, the recording (if it truly is one) would have to have been made before her death, when the bag was still available for use.

Not sure what else there is to learn from the movie, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That really was a terrible movie that didn't help explain anything at all! I guess the ticket stub might help, but all it will prove is that someone saw the movie, and I think that most people saw the movie. ... so that will only help if someone DENIES seeing the movie but a stub can be found showing they did. Or if Mikan's stub timestamp shows she saw the movie when she was supposed to be monitoring patients, or something.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Komeada seems to be savvy enough to see that Hinata might need some evidence to defend himself in the trial. How nice of him :shobon:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Knicknevin posted:

Two bags for the price of one huh?

Everything is leading in a predictable direction...

I'm not quite ready to commit to the Mikan theory just yet, if only because it would make the most sense for her to be the third intended victim. If there ever was a third intended victim... There are still some possibilities not yet explored I suppose. Hopefully the next update clears some things up I've been doubting on. This update didn't really show me much unexpected aside from the double of the Monomi bag, and I'd been assuming that the bag in the video was just a fake since we never saw the mark on it.

Then again, Monobear didn't actually say conclusively that there was a second bag, just implied there might be one.

Monobear doesn't generally lie though... Unless it directly suits his purposes.

I don't see how this is at all ambiguous:

orenronen posted:

See, when you buy one you get another for free. A perfectly valid way to attract customers.

The bag wasn't a fake. It was actually a second, identical bag. Pretty much ideal for staging a suicide after the murder.
edit: Unless Monobear decides to (again) specify that he didn't have time to put a Monomi sticker on the other bag or something. Then the bag would be a fake, I guess.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That really was a terrible movie that didn't help explain anything at all! I guess the ticket stub might help, but all it will prove is that someone saw the movie, and I think that most people saw the movie. ... so that will only help if someone DENIES seeing the movie but a stub can be found showing they did. Or if Mikan's stub timestamp shows she saw the movie when she was supposed to be monitoring patients, or something.

Hinata's stub can prove that he didn't see the movie before the murder. It's a pretty decent alibi.

And More fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 19, 2014

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Miyoda was lacking in brains at that moment and would have hung herself, sure, but Sayonji wasn't cowardly, that lion should have been the gymnast. Who would be broken down for parts though? I feel like whoever the movie points towards being the third victim will end up being the culprit and s/he'll go "wow I really dodged a bullet huh guys? feel sorry for me and look at everyone else who'd wanna kill ME" to misdirect.

e: not to say Miyoda DID hang herself, just that it thematically makes sense with the false scenario the perpetrator is trying to convey.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Aww, the movie wasn't that bad!

I feel this makes things odder, though. Originally it made sense to kill two people if one happened across the crime. This implies they might have intended to kill three. That makes getting away with the crime astronomically harder, and not for any clear reason? Even if you want three people dead, if you get away with killing one, the rest will be slaughtered by Monobear anyway.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Krinkle posted:

Miyoda was lacking in brains at that moment and would have hung herself, sure, but Sayonji wasn't cowardly, that lion should have been the gymnast. Who would be broken down for parts though? I feel like whoever the movie points towards being the third victim will end up being the culprit and s/he'll go "wow I really dodged a bullet huh guys? feel sorry for me and look at everyone else who'd wanna kill ME" to misdirect.

e: not to say Miyoda DID hang herself, just that it thematically makes sense with the false scenario the perpetrator is trying to convey.

Saionji locked herself in her room, that is sorta cowardly. 'Heartless' seems like it could potentially be kuzuryuu to me. Not sure if there is means to hack anyone into pieces though, so maybe this line of reasoning isn't likely to lead anywhere.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'd totally get a avatar of King Monokuma if I could. That animation is hilarious to me.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
the third "murder" could actually be the camera

since this was turned to scrap like the tin man.

Now laugh at how ridiculous my theory could be.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

orenronen posted:

Oh, that... Well... By "limited" I maaay have meant one person instead of one bag...
...That's not what you said back then.
You know? You're starting to really get on my nerves.

Mine too, for god's sake.

Anyway, seems like the brainless one got hanged as planned, but the cowardly Owari and the heartless/lying Komaeda weren't.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

mateo360 posted:

Nope I like it. I'm nominating it for best theory.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Krinkle posted:

Nope I like it. I'm nominating it for best theory.

I'm seconding this. It is a brilliant theory.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

mateo360 posted:

Like labeling some pigs 1, 2, and 4 and setting them loose. The cast will start anticipating a third "murder" that already happened.

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013
Honestly, the moment I saw the 'movie', the above theory came to mind instantly. So I'd say that the hive-mind has made its conclusion.
Meta-reasoning here, but wouldn't Mikan have been a better fit for the 'cowardly' second vic in the 'movie' if she wasn't the culprit?
Guess we'll have to wait until next update to try to figure when Saionji arrived at the music club and how she got there without anyone realising she left her room.

And on a side-note, THH just came out in Aus yesterday. Guess what I'll be doing for the next few weeks.

LukanFox fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 19, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

LukanFox posted:

Meta-reasoning here, but wouldn't Mikan have been a better fit for the 'cowardly' second vic in the 'movie' if she wasn't the culprit?

Probably, but it's way more tidy to assume that the three culprits were supposed to be the three who were infected with Despair Fever.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Not sure what else there is to learn from the movie, though.

I bet you cashmoney that the execution follows the tin man.

I thought the original bag in the window had Monobear on it, not Monomi, but I can't find the original post and I've been searching forever.

That play cleared up next to nothing, but it was pretty hilarious. I love the idea of Ibuki being the straw man. I am also in love with the half green, half pink Monomi witch.

Bean fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 19, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bean posted:

I thought the original bag in the window had Monobear on it, not Monomi, but I can't find the original post and I've been searching forever.

That play cleared up next to nothing, but it was pretty hilarious. I love the idea of Ibuki being the straw man.

Update 68:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

This is just further proof that Komeada is utterly insane. That movie was awesome, drat it. :colbert:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
At least that's confirmation that Mioda hung herself at someone's orders. Poor girl.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Bean posted:

Well, I guess there are worse fates than being torn apart by an angry bear. (No there aren't.) I do think the "third victim = camera" theory has a certain insane charm to it though. :v:

I keep coming back to the question of why though. A lot of things with this case don't seem to have any discernible reason for them, and the movie only adds to the pile of inexplicable goings-on. If the movie isn't just a giant coincidence, then the killer must have had some reason to copy the killings in the movie. What could they possibly stand to gain from doing that? It's not like the last time something like this happened, when the game revealed something about the motivations involved. This just seems arbitrary.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

legoman727 posted:

At least that's confirmation that Mioda hung herself at someone's orders. Poor girl.

Huh? Monobear just tried to tell us there were two bags, not one.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
So, after five minutes, I realized that the order is wrong in the 'film.' Dorothy met the Scarecrow, then the Tin Woodsman, THEN the Cowardly lion. Not Scarecrow->Lion->Woodsman. While this probably isn't a clue and just liberties with the source material, I just wanna point that out.

Also, notice that MB's daily life involved fleecing old people of their money. Like Hope's Peak was doing at the prep school.

If this is a true copycat killing, then it ...probably cancels out the idea that this was a two person gig for the most part. Since Nagito will help anybody kill someone, I dunno if he counts as part of any team up, but a literal interpretation means that there's only one killer. Monobear No more Sonia/Souda team up ideers from me.

However...

If you think about it, while Saionji's certainly able to fit the role of the cowardly lion, what with her barricading herelf in her room, I don't think she was meant for the role originally. A brainless scarecrow can only be Ibuki, but Akane alo fits the roll of the lion, and Nagito's certainly heartless from the point of view that he's loving insane and willing to kill people to prove his ideology without remorse.

It's almost as if Monobear was making a shout out ahead of time of who was going to get the fever.

Being the case, however, I still firmly believe that Saionji was planning to murder everyone in the hospital copying the film, and now I'm assuming she was going to frame Mikan for it, given that the nurse was next to all the victims at the time. Granted, I'll always find it hard to imagine Saionji violently murdering someone given her size, but even she could take on three fever victims, especially a bed-ridden one.

Only she was caught in the act by Mikan. Since Akane was never attacked, we can assume Saionji was discovered in the process of Murdering Ibuki, and the rest can be assumed. Hell, even this way, we can account for how Mikan set all this poo poo up in one night; Saionji had been preparing it herself but Mikan made use of it after her death.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Well, whoever has a ticket stamped with a date before the murder is now a bit more suspect. Also, the movie giving a set order of "hanging, tie to pillar, smash metal thing" just screams red herring. Saionji probably died before Mikan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

legoman727 posted:

It is almost certain that nothing happened like it did in the movie, just the culprit is trying to make us think it did. I'd put more money on that being confirmation she wasn't killed that way at all. (And probably that she died second, the way things are looking.)

• Locked thread