Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

orenronen posted:

I... wasn't expecting that. I mean, DR is fairly popular with the Akihabara crowd and that store is probably tiny and can't host many people at once, but still - this is essentially a 3 hour line to buy expensive merchandise for a video game.

No, that sounds about right when it comes to nerds. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.
Well, it's hard to tell from the little information we got, but it sounds like it was popular support that got the monobear crew into power in the first place. A worldwide revolution for a new way of thinking.

Also, if what you're saying is true and there are DR1 characters in this group, then they'd be here undercover or with some sort of plan. The fact that nobody has commented on the Monobear vending machine isn't strange unless you've made several assumptions about various things including what time period this is in, how intact everyone's memories are, and what happened to the revolution at the end of DR1.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
You might be right; if the images from the end of DR1 are undoctored (which I wouldn't bet money on), there's a whole lot of popular support for Team Despair. People wearing Monobear masks and rioting in the streets, and all that.

As for the two apparently-recurring characters (Togami and Naegi) from DR1, both are different enough from their DR1 portrayals that I haven't a clue what's going on with them, and I'm going to have to wait for more information. Including, for example, some clue as to what time period we're in. I've been trying not to assume too much about the time period, which is why any speculation I might make about those two characters would probably be premature at this point. But I'm going to be watching those two in particular with great interest.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

My theory on the hope shards (because there has to be something to make this a DR game, right?):

"You can collect 6 shards from each person you meet.
If you collect 100 shards, you can leave the island!"

"p.s. if you kill someone you get all their shards..."

I'm not sure how it works with the 'excess violence', but perhaps it is necessary violence.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tax Refund posted:

You might be right; if the images from the end of DR1 are undoctored (which I wouldn't bet money on), there's a whole lot of popular support for Team Despair. People wearing Monobear masks and rioting in the streets, and all that.
I'm not sure if it's necessarily informed support of Despair's agenda; there are many, many people out there who will latch onto anything that gives them an excuse to pillage and break stuff, and you only need a fraction of them to create total chaos.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
This game is taking a lot longer to introduce everybody. The first game was just "Okay, bad-school, here's everyone talent and a couple sentences, go". meanwhile this game gives each student more of an introduction, on top of having a lot more other talky-bits in-between.

In particular while you met monobear and were told the setup after introductions, while usami and her deal is the first character that gets a proper introduction besides the protagonist (outside of their names in the opening, anyway).

Maybe they felt they didn't need to "sell" the player on the idea for the game quite as quickly, now that it's so popular?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

darealkooky posted:

Maybe they felt they didn't need to "sell" the player on the idea for the game quite as quickly, now that it's so popular?
Either that or they realized that if they were going to do a lot of overbearing Ishida-type characters, having a longer intro to drive the "this person is super wacky!" point home would let them get to actual character development faster so that people wouldn't get sick of them.

Or it might just be another way to give the game a different atmosphere than DR1. DR1 threw everyone into a sudden grim, life-or-death situation; DR2 has thrown everyone into a leisurely tropical vacation. Why rush through introducing yourselves when you have all the time in the world to laze around the beach?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Notadoctor posted:

also because I'm assuming you still use monobear coins in this game. (Unless getting the 100 monobear coins by transferring your save file was a fake-out/joke. Which I wouldn't totally rule out.)
God drat it people.

The first loving picture of the first loving update posted:

LOOK. MONOBEAR. RIGHT loving THERE. :arghfist::doh:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
What if, in this game, Monobear is actually a kind of fish?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Look, I do expect Monobear to be in this, but this is a videogame. It is a sequel to a fairly popular game at that. That said, his presence on the title screen doesn't mean he's in the game. It very well could just be a nod and a wink at returning Dangan Ronpa 1 players.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Kangra posted:

My theory on the hope shards (because there has to be something to make this a DR game, right?):

"You can collect 6 shards from each person you meet.
If you collect 100 shards, you can leave the island!"

"p.s. if you kill someone you get all their shards..."

I'm not sure how it works with the 'excess violence', but perhaps it is necessary violence.

6 Shards, 16 Students...that equals 96. That's not enough to get off the island, even if you killed everybody.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 18, 2014

Cancer Cowboy
Jul 20, 2011

Locks: 50G each
Report: 50,000G
Izuka Hit: 3,000G
(I don't like that guy)
Not being Sothe: Priceless.
I think the point is that every time you have earned a hope shard then the person you were talking to earned your hope shard meaning every single person can get up to 90 but no further without judicious application of murder. It would be a nice system the both penalised and rewards friendship, the main point is that it is a 50/50 split of surviviors (in an ideal world) but I highly doubt that this is the case whatsoever.

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
It might be a case that you only get one hope shard from making friends. By killing someone else you get all their hope shards that they collected from making friends/killing people.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Broand posted:

It might be a case that you only get one hope shard from making friends. By killing someone else you get all their hope shards that they collected from making friends/killing people.
I doubt it's this complex. I am guessing that they've gotten rid of or streamlined the way you have to go out of your way to learn about other students. In Dangan Ronpa you had to pick and choose who you wanted to spend time with, and you were never able to learn everything about everyone in a single playthrough. I'm guessing they've changed that, and you'll inevitably get all of the hope shards (and all of the side-information about the characters) through the procession of the main plot.

It'll make everyone's despair when they start dying ever stronger.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

I doubt it's this complex. I am guessing that they've gotten rid of or streamlined the way you have to go out of your way to learn about other students. In Dangan Ronpa you had to pick and choose who you wanted to spend time with, and you were never able to learn everything about everyone in a single playthrough. I'm guessing they've changed that, and you'll inevitably get all of the hope shards (and all of the side-information about the characters) through the procession of the main plot.

It'll make everyone's despair when they start dying ever stronger.
I suspect that it's not going to be possible - or at least, not easy - to acquire all the shards in a single playthrough. (Otherwise, it'd be too much of a tip-off to the player - "oh hey, just got all the shards for <character>, guess he/she's going to die soon.")

I'm guessing that the hope shards will be integrated into the Free Time Events, or whatever the DR2 version of that happens to be.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 18, 2014

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
Where have people got the impression that we need 100 Hope Shards to leave the island? All we've been told, as far as I can tell, is that we need all the hope shards; the only indication of number is the six spaces for each student, which imply there are 90 for each person to collect.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Rith posted:

Where have people got the impression that we need 100 Hope Shards to leave the island? All we've been told, as far as I can tell, is that we need all the hope shards; the only indication of number is the six spaces for each student, which imply there are 90 for each person to collect.

If anything, I could see a murder element being added in that dead students remove their necessary shards from the equation. Though even that would mess with the formula established in DR1.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Captain Bravo posted:

Monotrout.

That said I just did a marathon of the old thread, I really like the spin the devs seem to have taken with this game.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I don't why, when Monobear appears, we simply can't have a "If you kill someone and get away with it, you leave the island!". I don't think we need something so complicated as you guys are sugesting.

The hope shards thing is probably just something to make the characters think everything will be okay,(oh and it will probaly have some free time events meaning too).

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

IceBorg posted:

I don't why, when Monobear appears, we simply can't have a "If you kill someone and get away with it, you leave the island!". I don't think we need something so complicated as you guys are sugesting.

The hope shards thing is probably just something to make the characters think everything will be okay,(oh and it will probaly have some free time events meaning too).

Odds are that they're the currency that'll get you trial abilities this time around.

Starship Arcadia
Dec 31, 2009

Winter is fine, but I hate summer.
The more I read of this thread, the more I hope it's just some kind of friendship-making simulator. Imagine watching everyone flip out every time the game gets close to looking dark, just to have it be a Hotel Dusk style interrogation so you can be bestest ever friends with SHSL Gangster. :allears:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Captain Bravo posted:

No, they only say that so you can eat him during Lent. :v:

ArcadeBumstead
Apr 3, 2008

Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a species of yeast. It is perhaps the most useful yeast, having been instrumental to winemaking, baking and brewing since ancient times. It is believed that it was originally isolated from the skin of grapes (one can see the yeast as a component of the thin white film on
There's a good possibility that right now, this field trip is exactly what it's being presented as. All the new students of Hope's Peak are basically having a super high school level orientation. The researchers are trying to create the best possible environment for nurturing talent, so of course we need to have everyone get along. In the first game, even a gang leader and a serial killer managed to make friends with the rest of the students. I don't believe they arrived there without some conflict.

As for our bunny rabbit instructor, if you'll notice she is not a mono-bunny at all right now. I believe this is what the monobear technology was originally supposed to be used for. Maybe it's supposed to separate the instructors from the students so that they can also act as unbiased scientists or something. We're not supposed to know about the research aspect of Hope's Peak Academy, but we've been provided this exposition thanks to our exposure to DR Zero.

I believe we can ignore the Monobear logo on the vending machine, as this is sort of a game object separated from the story, much in the way characters don't comment on the existence of save points. Unlike the locked school in the first game, there's no reason someone can't gain access to the island. It looks to me like everything is legit now, and the mastermind is going to arrive later to ruin everything.

ArcadeBumstead fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 23, 2012

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Starship Arcadia posted:

The more I read of this thread, the more I hope it's just some kind of friendship-making simulator. Imagine watching everyone flip out every time the game gets close to looking dark, just to have it be a Hotel Dusk style interrogation so you can be bestest ever friends with SHSL Gangster. :allears:

A quiz where you answer questions about the other dudes, where too many wrong answers gets you/them killed would be great.

My real hope, though, is that this time the protagonist is out for himself. Hiding evidence, distorting facts, lying to everyone. That would be way more compelling.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Beautiful Ruin [Summer Salt]

There's a building right next to where Mahiru is standing, to the side of the hotel complex. What could be in there?

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

Ah, you can't go in there! The old lodge is scheduled for weconstwuction, so entry is forbidden!
It's just too dangewous!

Beautiful Ruin [Summer Salt]

You're dangerous, appearing from nowhere like that...

There's no one else standing outside, so let's move into the hotel.

Yep. Just as magnificent and classy on the inside as it is on the outside.
You know, if this was a regular field trip, I'd have a big dumb grin on my face too...
...But, why is there no one in this hotel except us? Where are all the staff?

That can't be helped. It's an uninhabited island, after all.

An uninhabited island... with flawlessly maintained facilities, power, and probably running water too.

What the hell is going on with this island...?

Arcade game tables...

That's amazing! Just what you'd expect from a luxury hotel!
Are you sure? They look more like what you'd find at a cheap hot spring resort.

This looks like the reception desk, but there's no one around.

There's a girl sitting at the arcade table. She's totally immersed in the game.

Hey, Hinata-kun. You haven't introduced yourself to her yet, right?
Y... Yeah.

She’s concentrating entirely on the game, but I guess I could try getting her attention...

...Um, do you have a second? We should introduce ourselves...

...Hey, Nanami-saaaan!

Ah! I'm sorry... I think I got a little bit too engrossed in the game...

Oh, there's no doubt about it. You were totally lost in it.

Um... Do you want me to introduce myself? Okay, got it.

My name is Chiaki Nanami. I'm a Super High-school Level Gamer. My hobby is playing games. I'm pretty good with all genres.

Nice to meet you.

Chiaki Nanami: Super High-school Level Gamer

Chiaki Nanami ( 七海千秋 ) is played by Kana Hanazawa. Recently, she played Marie in Persona 4 The Golden, though I doubt even avid Persona fans in this thread heard her in the role.

My name's Hajime Hinata. Nice to meet you too...

Yeah, you too.
You... aren't very good with conversations, are you.

She's still playing the game while she's talking, you know.

Oh, it's not just that...

I can't speak well unless I compose everything I want to say inside my head first.
If I don't have every word prepared, I'm just not a very good speaker...
That's even more so with someone I'm meeting for the first time... But I think things will move faster the more I get to know you.

She just said all that without taking her eyes off the game once.

...And it even looks like she’s keeping up with it. I guess she really is a “Super High-school Level Gamer”.

Yaaaaawn...

...That got me so tired.

Hope Shard Acquired

Chiaki Nanami
Height: 160cm / Weight: 46kg / Chest: 88cm / Blood type: O
Birthday: March 14
Hates: Alarm clocks
Title: Super High-school Level Gamer

...Do you want something?
Um, no. I just thought we should introduce ourselves. Is that alright...?
Introduce ourselves...

Very well, I don't mind.
My name's Hajime Hinata. Nice to meet you.

I am called Peko Pekoyama. It’s an honor to meet you too.

Peko Pekoyama: Super High-school Level Swordswoman

Peko Pekoyama ( 辺古山ペコ ) is played by Kotono Mitsuishi, one of the legendary voice actresses of the '90s. Among her better known roles are Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon (in, well, Sailor Moon) and Misato Katsuragi (in the Evangelion franchise), although my own personal favorite has always been Excel in Excel Saga. Trivia: Mitsuishi is one of two actors in this game that script writer Kodaka asked for specifically.

This gallant young woman has a talent with swords - she’s a Super High-school Level Swordswoman.
Peko Pekoyama-san... Her cute name may not convey this very well, but...
Her swordplay is so good that most adult men can't beat her.

Her stare alone makes me feel like I’m being cut to pieces...

If what that bunny told us is true, we are going to spend some time together on this island.
...Oh? Oh, yeah, that's what it looks like.

If men and women are to live together, mutual understanding is of utmost importance. We must have no ill feelings between us.

I... don't want to have to cut anyone.
U...Um... That thing on your back is just a wooden practice sword, right?

...It is, and therefore I cannot actually cut anyone. Still... a strike in the wrong place will inflict lasting harm...

No... Perhaps I should have said, "the right place"...

I think I’d better tread carefully around this one.

Hope Shard Acquired

Peko Pekoyama
Height: 172cm / Weight: 51kg / Chest: 85cm / Blood type: O
Birthday: June 30
Hates: Candy
Title: Super High-school Level Swordswoman

orenronen fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 23, 2012

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Chiaki Nanami is very focused, eh? At the same time, she seems... out there a little.

Peko Pekoyama is... well, she seems serious. Did not expect Sailor Moon to be her though when I first heard that Kotono Mitsuishi was one of the voice actors in this game.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Oh boy, a SHSL Gamer. :allears:

I hope she makes all kinds of old video game references down the line. After all the stuff Yamada said in the first game, I will be disappointed if she doesn't drop some obscure ones here and there.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

orenronen posted:

I can't speak well unless I compose everything I want to say inside my head first.
If I don't have every word prepared, I'm just not a very good speaker...

It's sad to admit, but this is pretty much how I am as well.:smith:

I think I'm going to like these two.

Son Conan fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 23, 2012

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Huh, Kotono Mitsuishi must have a lot of depth as a voice actor. I don't hear "Excel" in her voice at all. I don't really remember Misato from Evangelion well enough to comment either way.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
I find it kind of funny that the expressionless girl is a Gamer. It should be pretty interesting to see her character develop.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I can make out some Boa Hancock (One Piece) in Peko's voice. Mitsuishi is a great VA, cool to see her on board.
Peko is already becoming a favorite character just because of her name alone.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

quote:

Nice to meet you too, CUTS-THROUGH-FOG, Kirigiri that is. :colbert:

If something as simple as an introduction can tire out Nanami I can't imagine her being too active in the way or murdering people. This of course means she'd be easy pickings if it ever came to that.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Son Conan posted:

It's sad to admit, but this is pretty much how I am as well.:smith:

I think I'm going to like these two.
Same here, on both those accounts.

I wonder if Chiaki is going to make meta comments on the cases, since she's in a game and all. Something like, "If this was a game, the first case should be pretty obvious to teach the player the basics, so don't look for double meanings". By the way, she shares a birthday with Chihiro!

And Peko is off to a good start, but I'm biased as hell.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

...For those keeping track, pin-up art will be up soon. I actually forgot to prepare the images ahead.

Edit: They're up.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 23, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Overlord K posted:

Oh boy, a SHSL Gamer. :allears:

I hope she makes all kinds of old video game references down the line. After all the stuff Yamada said in the first game, I will be disappointed if she doesn't drop some obscure ones here and there.

Somebody has to carry on the tradition of making references of varying obscurity. :colbert: Even though my favorite reference from DR1 (The Dragonlord DQ1 reference) wasn't actually from Yamada.

Also that old lodge is totally not suspicious at all and in no way will ever play a part in the game.

EDIT: All those consoles in Chiaki's art :stare:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
All those people worried about too many overbearing characters can relax a little, I think. These two ladies seem pretty chill.

Chiaki speaks for the goons. I too love games and hate alarm clocks.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

orenronen posted:

...For those keeping track, pin-up art will be up soon. I actually forgot to prepare the images ahead.

Edit: They're up.

While you're about, was there ever much character artwork of the same resolution for DR1? The artwork in the first thread was scaled down, and as before I'm reluctant to google anything Dangan Ronpa-related. It's silly, I know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.

orenronen posted:

Chiaki Nanami: Super High-school Level Gamer

Now there's an impressive collection. Lot of Nintendo going on there for a Sony exclusive.

• Locked thread