Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

He used it to put her eye out. The eye is black while he's telling her to hold still and red after that. Not much of a gag, but also not much of the sexual innuendo people seem to want to put to it.

Now, see, for some reason I was thinking that he'd sort of shoved it inside her to prevent her from being able to easily move? Not sure what my thought process was there, but this makes more sense.

I also didn't get a rape-y vibe from it.

Patware posted:

Translated Japanese literature is just... kind of like that in my experience. I picked up Battle Royale because it's one of those buzzword titles that floats around all the time and it was really hard to read after going through the Anglicization mill.

Yeah, Light Novels tend to sound really weird when translated. They aren't bad, just incredibly awkwardly worded in English. Since it always ends up that way regardless of who does the translating, I can only assume that it's just a cultural thing and Light Novels are just written with language that, when translated, comes across awkward and confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Patware posted:

Translated Japanese literature is just... kind of like that in my experience.

I would say the problem is with light novels rather than Japanese literature more generally.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

kvltmanifesto posted:

can I just ask where this "Junko has pink hair" thing came from? I've heard it all throughout the last thread even though all her sprites and concept arts are blatantly blonde.
It's just the odd coloration of the original sprites. Her hair is technically a very light pink, but the color makes it come out as blond. Meanwhile some CG images show her hair as more blond than pink (like the magazine covers). I just see her hair as blond with a very light tint of pink, possibly coming from dying her hair. But hey, who knows? Maizono has blue hair and Kirigiri has light purple hair, so it's perfectly normal in the world to have odd hair colors.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Her hair is strawberry blonde guys, not anywhere near pink, for chrissakes

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Oh drat! Monobear, Such attitude.

Yeeah, Dis-BEAR in da house, beeitches!

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Silver2195 posted:

I would say the problem is with light novels rather than Japanese literature more generally.

There's other kinds of Japanese literature? :raise:

Manga, of course! How silly of me. I've read all the greats, you know.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
One interesting thing I got from Junko appearing is that, unless she is there without people knowing, she must already be a student in the school. From what I gathered we didn't really have a timeframe of the novel events, this could have been happening a year before Naegi entered the school for all we know, but with this we can almost be sure that it happens in the year that Naegi and his class are in the school.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Silver2195 posted:

It really depends. Soseki's writing style is a bit infamous in Japan precisely because it takes a lot from Western techniques; which is more to say he wrote with the kind of exposition and clarification we tend to not only proscribe but expect in our literature, though it's still difficult to understand at first glance because he uses literary Japanese language. On the other extreme you have someone like Kuwabata, who wrote things like Rainy Station where the translator had to fill in a lot of detail, and it's still massively difficult to sort out in English unless you keep a nice chart of who people are and what they're doing.

Still, there are just quirks of the language that when translated just come across as elementary to us. When a sentence can consist of nothing but a verb and still be gramatically correct in one language and an incomprehensible difficulty in the other, that's just what you have to get used to. In any case part of a translator's job is making things sound natural, and sometimes you have to add in detail to get it there. That's one of the biggest sticking points in a literal translation versus a more localized one. Sure it's more true to the source to just be 'Junko laughed. Then smiled. Then suddenly, chortled.' but that would strike none of us as literary unless you're putting Spot the Dog next to the Brontë sisters.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

IceBorg posted:

One interesting thing I got from Junko appearing is that, unless she is there without people knowing, she must already be a student in the school ... we can almost be sure that it happens in the year that Naegi and his class are in the school.

You're right; in the first part of Zero, it says that a 'fellow' student at Hope's Peak comes into Junko's mind, so Naegi and company must be around somewhere. Perhaps they'll make an appearance? It'd be nice to catch glimpses of them not murdering each other in the background.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

lotus circle posted:

It's just the odd coloration of the original sprites. Her hair is technically a very light pink, but the color makes it come out as blond. Meanwhile some CG images show her hair as more blond than pink (like the magazine covers). I just see her hair as blond with a very light tint of pink, possibly coming from dying her hair. But hey, who knows? Maizono has blue hair and Kirigiri has light purple hair, so it's perfectly normal in the world to have odd hair colors.

I figure her hair would be black, like her twin sister. Whatever color the giant puffball on her head is, it would be a wig, which would be par for the course as a SHSL gal.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Sorry for interrupting DR0 discussion, but I just wanted to post something as a celebration of our new protagonist's birthday, which was on January, 1st last week. It took this long since I wanted Oren to approve the artwork I sent him, but I only got an answer to the first batch. I figured that posting the one with the smallest chances of containing subtle spoilers would be alright.

[possible spoiler image?]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/SingerOfW/32527807_zpsc68ae9b3.jpg[/]

By the way, I only realized it while looking for the artwork, but being born on the first day of the year does fit Hajime, since "Hajime" means "Beginning" in Japanese.

edited by slowbeef, waiting to hear from OP

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 8, 2013

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

SingerOfW posted:

Sorry for interrupting DR0 discussion, but I just wanted to post something as a celebration of our new protagonist's birthday, which was on January, 1st last week. It took this long since I wanted Oren to approve the artwork I sent him, but I only got an answer to the first batch. I figured that posting the one with the smallest chances of containing subtle spoilers would be alright.

By the way, I only realized it while looking for the artwork, but being born on the first day of the year does fit Hajime, since "Hajime" means "Beginning" in Japanese.

You really should not post anything without asking. You should erase it and resend your PM. Trying to guess what would be ok usually just leads to sadness and spoilers.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

edit: ah, too mean.

Baita
Oct 18, 2012

But it's not like this is the last time we'll have a chance to talk. We'll try again later.
Here's an Oren-approved, non-spoiler snowman of Monobear to commemorate the return of our favorite headmaster! :toot:
Not made by me, by the way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Trying to figure out how to post art correctly ignore this post.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 8, 2013

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
I was wondering after reading the latest chapter of Zero would it be consider to be :filez: if by the end of the book being posted for someone to make a ebook out of it for us to download and read on our ebook reader?

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

:ssh: pssst don't hotlink it's probatable and we're in probation country.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hey Oren, just wanted to point out that Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes are not updated in the original post for the sixth and seventh parts.

Episode the Sixth

Episode the Seventh

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

likecnsnnts posted:

:ssh: pssst don't hotlink it's probatable and we're in probation country.

Then how do you post artwork. I got permission from Oren.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Then how do you post artwork. I got permission from Oren.

Upload them to your own Imgur account or something.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Host it yourself on imgur or the like and then use the [img] tag

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

SingerOfW posted:

Sorry for interrupting DR0 discussion, but I just wanted to post something as a celebration of our new protagonist's birthday
Why the hell are you celebrating a video game character's birthday?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

And a week late, too. It's just goddamn shameful. :colbert:

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...

I don't see anything wrong with creating some art of the character and slapping on "happy birthday!"

Now, having a celebration for the character in real life is a different story.

Kringlorr
Oct 8, 2012

Why are you doing that?
We have to wish the fictional animu characters a happy birthday! Eat your cake, Nagito. :allears:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
^^^ This is awesome. At least I don't recognize most of the animus.

All the Japanese discussion makes me wonder how difficult it is for a Japanese to learn English. Anyone want to share their experience?

Somebody drew a hilarious fanart for Ishimaru's birthday on the last thread and nobody complained. As long as it is not done in a creepy fashion, it should be okay.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 8, 2013

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i300 posted:

Now, having a celebration for the character in real life is a different story.

Some people bake doughnuts to celebrate them from what I am aware in these threads.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Some people bake doughnuts to celebrate them from what I am aware in these threads.

Somebody wanted to bake and decorate a Monobear themed donut-type cake thing on Asahina's birthday. What a creep!!!!!!

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012

orenronen posted:

I was still in shock from my resurrected memory of finding a body, and couldn’t breath.

That should probably be "breathe"?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Because it happens to coincide with the New Years, and people tend to celebrate that. Also, it's just another reason to post good fan art of the game we love.

klapman posted:

And a week late, too. It's just goddamn shameful. :colbert:
I did explain my reasons. And it seems that I still posted it too soon.

SystemLogoff posted:

You really should not post anything without asking. You should erase it and resend your PM. Trying to guess what would be ok usually just leads to sadness and spoilers.
I don't think that sending a third message is going to change anything, since Oren probably just doesn't check his e-mail that often. I figured that posting two updates without answering me means that there's nothing to say about the art, but you can never be sure about that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Show Me
Jan 6, 2013

Not made by you but awesome nonetheless.

Thanks for posting this!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

SingerOfW posted:

I don't think that sending a third message is going to change anything, since Oren probably just doesn't check his e-mail that often. I figured that posting two updates without answering me means that there's nothing to say about the art, but you can never be sure about that.

If you can't be sure about it then you're probably better off not doing it. Especially in a thread where the OP specifically asked not to post fan art without his permission.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

SingerOfW posted:

Because it happens to coincide with the New Years, and people tend to celebrate that. Also, it's just another reason to post good fan art of the game we love.

I did explain my reasons. And it seems that I still posted it too soon.

This was ridiculous. You can wait a week or two before posting fanart.

Don't do this.

Even if your image wasn't spoilerful, now other people might get encouraged to post fanart if the OP doesn't get back to them right away. The guy's got a life outside this thread.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Just because I thought it was in January, and have been making a bunch lately for work.

Still going to make one, it's just insanely busy and I don't have time to work on a pet project at work

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

just a little thing I've been thinking about. One of the reasons some people are skeptical about Nagito and Togami being their DR1 counterparts is that they don't recognise Monobear. If you take that to it's illogical conclusion, people that do recognise Monobear are returning characters. And the only one who does recognise Monobear is Monomi. Could her controller be one of the surviving students from DR1?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

kvltmanifesto posted:

just a little thing I've been thinking about. One of the reasons some people are skeptical about Nagito and Togami being their DR1 counterparts is that they don't recognise Monobear. If you take that to it's illogical conclusion, people that do recognise Monobear are returning characters. And the only one who does recognise Monobear is Monomi. Could her controller be one of the surviving students from DR1?

Who, though? Hagakure isn't smart enough to stay in character, Togami and Syo don't care enough about other people to want them to be friendly, and Kirigiri is completely lacking in whimsy. Naegi and Asahina are simply too nice to force other people to do anything.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

It isn't unknown for people with dissociative identity disorder to develop more than one alternate personality, and Fukawa's existing alternate personality has all of the knowledge that she does. Maybe she wanted a character that was her opposite in a different way than Syo is.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

kvltmanifesto posted:

Possibly. There could be a number of explanations as to why Monomi knew who Monobear was.

1. Like you say, she's being controlled by a DR1 survivor, who may have founded a Hope organization to counter the Despair organization.

2. Monobear and Monomi are both being controlled by the Despair organization, and are pulling a "good cop, bad cop" routine on the students. That will lead to maximum DESPAIR if they decide to trust Monomi and she betrays them.

3. Since the events of the first game were being broadcast, and the images of the Despairing Event showed Monobear's image plastered everywhere, it's not a stretch to say that whoever is controlling Usami/Monomi knows about who Monobear is and the Despair organization it represents.

This is, of course, assuming that this game takes place after the first one. Monobear's speech in the last update seemed to suggest that was the case, though that could be misdirection on the part of the game.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ocean Breeze Dead End

I've already seen several astonishing things on this island.

But this... whatever the hell this is... puts everything else to shame..

Eh... eh...?

W...Why... is the statue moving?

It's not a statue! It's the Monobeasts!

M...MONSTEEEEEEEEEERS!!

Aren't you listening?! They're Monobeasts!

People always say a big enough shock can render anyone speechless.

Well, I now know that they’re right.

Monsters suddenly appearing... it sounds like a cliché from a cartoon or a video game...
But, seeing it happen right before my eyes... I couldn’t even begin to process it.

I should’ve been afraid. My mind should’ve been racing. But instead, I just stood there, dumbfounded.

I...I don't like this... this is all wrong... all wrong...!

Am I asleep? Is this... a bad dream...?

Kyahaha! A dream! What a dummy!

Honestly! Are you bastards still trying to explain this away as a dream or an illusion!?
You bastards are so quick to reject anything that falls outside that tiny reference frame you call “common sense”!
Honestly! Neanderthals were more open-minded than this!

Trying to separate everything into genres is just another disease of the modern era!

Everyone, pwease, stand back!
I...I will pwotect you!

Even at the cost of my own life... I will pwotect you all!

Uppu.
...Huh? What is this?
Uppu... uppu...

Oh, I see! This is that feeling before you throw up! The nausea one gets from witnessing such a hackneyed sense of justice!

Fine! I decided! If that's what you want, I'll just make you an example!!

Click for video! (Youtube via Polsy)

Once again, you should really click for that video!

...welp.

Tropical Despair

A...Ah...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

W...WHAT'S GOING OOOOOOOON?!

Abuabuabuabuabu... It's just the opening... but Monomi is already dead...!

I...Is this the work of the devil...?! Or perhaps... a futuristic weapon...?!

It's the Monobeasts! They're terrible terrifying slaughter machines!

Monsters suddenly appeared...

Life-threatening monsters suddenly appeared, and yet not one of us tried to run away.

It wasn’t that we couldn't accept their existence or something...
It was just... our life experience was hopelessly, woefully, insufficient.

When faced with something so bizarre, so completely unprecedented... our brains couldn't even begin to judge how best to deal with it.

But that... could prove fatal in a situation like this.

Upupu... Yeah, that's more like it.
Such a fulfilling sense of despair! I guess that's the power of making someone an example!

Ahahahahaha!!

While Monobear laughed his high-pitched laugh, we just stood frozen in place.
We were so still, it seemed as though we’d forgotten how to breathe.

...We just... kept on standing there. Dumbfounded.

We were powerless... Ants in the middle of a flood.

Well, then. It seems you bastards finally understand...

You can't oppose me.
If you don't want to become seaweed in the cruel ocean, not opposing me is my absolute recommendation!
I'd better warn you. I have no compassion, sympathy or pity. That's because I'm a bear.
I will not accept any excuses like "we got too excited since this is a tropical island"!

Furthermore, to celebrate the beginning of our "Field Trip of Mutual Killing", I've updated your Electronic Student Handbooks.
You'll now find the rules to this "Field Trip of Mutual Killing" there, so please read them carefully later.

Ignorance of the rules is not an acceptable excuse... just like in any other world or society.
Now, then...

Please enjoy this liberal, cruel, gruesome tropical island field trip!

Music fades out

After finishing his one-sided speech...
Monobear and those monsters he called "Monobeasts" disappeared.

To tell you the truth...
...I was completely exhausted.

Experiencing all these ridiculous things, one after the other...

Can we just... skip to the epilogue now...?

Re: Despair Syndrome

Everyone else was the same...

Everyone's face was painted the same tired blue tint.

W...What's going on here?

U...Um... Um...

I...I won't believe it... That’s it... that’s it... Nothin’ else’s gonna happen...

I...I can handle people and animals as opponents, but...

What am I supposed to do with such ridiculously huge monsters!!

I...Impossible... W...Why are such impossible things happening...?

No, they're not... impossible.
Those Monobeasts are nothing more than moving machines. That stuffed toy probably is one too.
And if that's all they are, it means someone made and is controlling them.

So, there's someone behind this...? Someone who put us in this ridiculous situation?

W...Who is it?! Who?!

Heh... Heh heh... It doesn't matter...
I...I don' believe it, after all... There's no way such unbelievable things are actually....

Say, aren't you getting hungry? Don't you think we should leave things alone for now and go eat?

...Maybe you should've eaten something before.

I don't care how much you want to freak out or distract yourselves. There's just one thing you should carve into your hearts...
I have no idea if there's really someone out there who is trying to trap us, but...
The thing we should be most guarded against isn’t those ridiculous machines or whoever is operating them...
No, more than that, we should be guarded against...

Re: Despair-Syndrome

...Ourselves. The people standing right here.
We've been taken to this tropical island - a group of strangers - and ordered to kill each other...
The atmosphere of fear and despair that has been created, and our wish to escape it...
That is the enemy we should be most concerned about right now.

Naturally, we looked around at each other's faces.

As soon as I saw everyone's expressions, it was immediately apparent.
Everyone here... agreed with Togami's words.

They’d accepted that the possibility exists, even for them.

Only a student who kills may leave this island...
In other words, anyone who truly wants to escape... is going to have to sacrifice others.

I can't be sure that won't happen. No...

...Can I even be sure I won't do it myself?

...I don't think I can.

Faced with such a nightmarish situation, how can I say with confidence that I won’t?
The paranoia that was planted in our hearts... It wasn't just for our classmates...

...It also made us fear ourselves.

...That's exactly what makes it so despair-inducing.

That day wasn't just another regular day for me...
No, it was much more significant than that.

That day taught me the meaning of the word "despair".

...That was the beginning.

The beginning of our "Field Trip of Mutual Killing" on this tropical island.

Super Dangan Ronpa 2 (Youtube via Polsy)

PROLOGUE: Welcome to Dangan ☆ Island! Big Panic at the Heart-Thumping Field Trip?

Remaining students: 16

Prologue cleared

Aw, look at the achievement icon. They got that Hope Flower to bloom after all...

You got the present: Broken Stick

orenronen fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

orenronen posted:

Honestly! Are you bastards still trying to explain this away as a dream or an illusion!?
You bastards are so quick to reject anything that falls outside that tiny reference frame you call “common sense”!
Honestly! Neanderthals were more open-minded than this!

Seems like Monobear is addressing some of the people in this thread :v:

I'm sad to see Monomi go; I was hoping she could be considered another student and participate in the trials. Maybe there will be multiple Monomis like there were Monobears in the last game, though.

• Locked thread