Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Eh, I'm not too bothered by Akane being a gymnast. Muggsy Bogues is only 5'3" and he played 14 seasons in the NBA. I don't know too much about gymnastics but it's not completely impossible, is it?
While nothing is impossible, gymnastics with breasts like that are drat close. I don't want to get all spergy about the precise physics, so watch an olympic floor routine real quick.

Now imagine trying to pull that off with 10 pounds of extra weight that flies every which way at once hanging off your body.

Yeah, it's PRETTY far out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012
I like Hiyoko Saionji she reminds me of my younger sister.

Why are people equating exterminating bugs with animal cruelty?
I will hurt a fly, but only to kill it.
My sisters on the other hand weren't opposed to ripping off wings or putting salt on snails (something I even refused to watch) so maybe its just a girls thing.

Feh. Coward.

Akane Owari: Dat everything.

Radian Angle fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 30, 2012

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Coolguye posted:

While nothing is impossible, gymnastics with breasts like that are drat close. I don't want to get all spergy about the precise physics, so watch an olympic floor routine real quick.

Now imagine trying to pull that off with 10 pounds of extra weight that flies every which way at once hanging off your body.

Too bad there's not some sort of bra that is suitable for sports or anything.

A 'physical activity support undergarment' or something of that nature.

There'd probably be a huge market for that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gally posted:

Yeah. Shame. Maybe I should look into developing one, I could use the money.

orenronen posted:

I am a vewy elusive bunny wabbit! I can appear anywhere and everywhere on this island!

It's all thanks to my Magical Stick!

”Magical Stick”... that ridiculous toy she’s holding?
Is there a reason this wasn't translated as "Magic Wand" or "Magic Staff"?

PoliteMachineGun
Oct 5, 2011

They noticed me!
Covet this, fools!

Gally posted:

Yeah, because sports bras totally work well enough for gymnastics if you're above a C. It's not like even running still hurts. Or like binding your breasts with other methods limits circulation and breathing, both of which are necessary for intense exercise like, say, gymnastics.

Welcome to the joys of bustiness!

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Yeah, the odds of a gymnast being SHSL while having boobs like that are astronomical, but oh well. There's also the possibility that she's stuffing now, or at least wearing a really padded bra, and then would put on a hardcore sports bra afterwards.

In the end, it doesn't really matter, because there are plenty of unlikely things going on in this game. For that matter, Sakura might not be that great of a wrestler with a musclebound physique like that. Some suspension of disbelief is incumbent.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Gally posted:

So, there's a tumblr called busty girls comic's...might want to check out the artist/author's various comic's about that particular piece of clothing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Radian Angle posted:

Why are people equating exterminating bugs with animal cruelty?

Because she's killing ants individually by hand, so she's clearly not doing it for the sake of removing an ant infestation from the farm, she's doing it for entertainment. And that's pretty sociopathic.

I dunno. DanganRonpa's pretty anime, so we might be intended to take this as 'Bratty kid' rather than 'serial-killeriffic'; much like we might be intended to read Hanamura as 'immature and has a healthy interest in women' rather than 'redditor and aspiring date-rapist'. Still, it's a pretty nasty first impression.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Well, that's the entire cast introduced. Time to throw out what I'm guessing is going on here in terms of deaths and murders.

I kind of get that feeling that the main character may die in this one. I think Hajime has a pretty good chance of dying.

I think Nagito may end up being a murderer here, but I think he'll most likely be a survivor.

Souda the mechanic looks like a victim kind of person to me. He's way too useful alive either way once the island proves to be a horrid death trap, so he'll probably have to die to keep them on the island.

Gundam... I have no idea really. Too random a character for me to really get a read on him. I'm going to guess a murderer even though my gut is telling me he lives, just because he's that drat wacky and out there.

Mikan screams murderer to me, just as loudly as Fukawa did in the last game.

Ibuki I kind of feel she'll survive this one. She seems interesting, doesn't seem totally insane, and seems like she'd be one of those characters that people can relate to more or less.

Nekomaru I feel will probably die in one way or another, but I honestly can't get much out of him. He's a bit too over the top.

Fuyuhiko I'm predicting will be that devil in plain sight, and will likely be a murderer. For some reason, I'm thinking he's going to kill Togami. Guessing that based on them likely not interacting well with one another.

Mahiru being a photographer will probably be a victim. It's too tempting in my opinion for the writers to make a photograph based investigation.

Chiaki I'm currently neutral on. She hasn't really said enough yet for me to guess.

Peko I'm guessing will be a survivor.

Teruteru pisses me off too much to get killed by something. He'll probably live way longer than I want him to.

Sonia I think will probably end up being a victim. Guessing killed by Mikan.

Akane I'm leaning towards murderer. The level of carefree and amiable is suspicious on that one.

Hiyoko seems a bit suspicious to me, but looks like a red herring ploy. I'm guessing she'll live.

Togami... I'm thinking this one is a fraud and will probably be murdered. I'm also thinking that revealing that he's a fraud will be somehow relevant to the case.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Twiddy posted:

Okay, I have to get this off my chest.

Bull-loving-poo poo she's a gymnast. She seems too tall and her breasts are too large.

EDIT: Jesus, I'm coming back to this. I would've been fine if Akane's specialty was any other sport, but gymnasts are tiny. loving hell!

That's what I was complaining about earlier. :argh:

I also found it funny how Hinata started with "Doesn't seem to have the body of a high schooler" Yeah, okay. "Has the figure of a foreign athlete."

A swing and a miss. :downsgun:

RandomYoshi
Dec 28, 2012

^^^^Best GIF in the whole universe.

The communicative abilities and your comprehension of this user may or may not vary from day to day.
Hey, I just noticed something about Chiaki. Her birthday is on the 14th of March, otherwise known as the Pi Day. I'm not sure what else this says about her, but if there's one thing that's certain is that she just got goonier than she already was, and I'm loving it.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Having had full intros and a better chance to look at the characters, Nagito, Akane and Togami strike me as drawn to look older than the rest of the cast. Thought I was just imagining it at first, and that it wouldn't actually be the case, but now I'm starting to lean a little more toward the three of them being returning cast members (well, Fatogami's a bit of a no-brainer, but still). If Nagito isn't Naegi, he's a fuckin' plant. He knows way too much and is way too encouraging about playing along with the rabbit.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Zereth posted:

Yeah. Shame. Maybe I should look into developing one, I could use the money.

Is there a reason this wasn't translated as "Magic Wand" or "Magic Staff"?

Actually, I did change it to "Magic Wand", but Oren changed it back, because apparently it sounds silly in Japanese too.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Magic Stick seems to have more of a magical girl feel to it, I think. Like a magic wand is too pedestrian, that's for stodgy old wizards, a real magical girl has a rainbow kaleidoscope stick or mirror heart rod or something.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

RandomYoshi posted:

Hey, I just noticed something about Chiaki. Her birthday is on the 14th of March, otherwise known as the Pi Day. I'm not sure what else this says about her, but if there's one thing that's certain is that she just got goonier than she already was, and I'm loving it.
And do you know who else had this birthday? Chihiro. Though it makes more sense as a programmer's birthday than a gamer's.

Zaltys
Jun 24, 2008

sleeptalker posted:

The creatures here seem to me to be a tiger, a snake, and possibly a phoenix, which is sort of like three of the four symbolic creatures that seem to pop up a lot in Japanese things; the snake would be Genbu, sometimes a snake coiled around a turtle or sometimes a turtle with a snake head or something. The one that's missing is the dragon of the east, Seiryu.
Very likely.
I'm not sure what the horse is standing on, it's kind of odd shape. Could be a dragon that we just can't see well from this angle. There's also some dragonlike carvings on the pedestal.

The rider is probably Bishamonten, ruler of the Four Heavenly Kings. Since he's usually depicted with a trident. He's a god of warfare and just punishment, I wonder if that'll be relevant in some way..

Zaltys fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 30, 2012

RandomYoshi
Dec 28, 2012

The communicative abilities and your comprehension of this user may or may not vary from day to day.

SingerOfW posted:

And do you know who else had this birthday? Chihiro. Though it makes more sense as a programmer's birthday than a gamer's.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Every game is coded using at least one programming language, but multiple programming languages may be used to code a game. You can even say that programming is the very pinnacle of every game produced since, well, games existed, pretty much. In short, without programming, there wouldn't be any games.

Chihiro's and Chiaki's name both start with 'Chi', their birthdays match, and — at least from what we've seen from Chiaki thus far — they're both rather quiet characters. While this comparison is open for interpretation, I don't really see much of anything amounting from this.

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Because she's killing ants individually by hand, so she's clearly not doing it for the sake of removing an ant infestation from the farm, she's doing it for entertainment. And that's pretty sociopathic.

That just means she's inefficient and enjoying her job. :3
What my sisters did by hand I did with fireworks

Ratoslov posted:

I dunno. DanganRonpa's pretty anime, so we might be intended to take this as 'Bratty kid' rather than 'serial-killeriffic'; much like we might be intended to read Hanamura as 'immature and has a healthy interest in women' rather than 'redditor and aspiring date-rapist'. Still, it's a pretty nasty first impression.

Well we've already had a serial-killing-novelist, a genocidal-loli wouldn't be that far out.
And considering the former's wimpy physical condition I think they'd have about the same strength.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Fedule posted:

Actually, I did change it to "Magic Wand", but Oren changed it back, because apparently it sounds silly in Japanese too.

Yeah, in my experience with magical girl anime (don't judge me!) the small annoying ones call it a magic stick. It's extra silly in that they don't even realize they're doing it wrong.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

RandomYoshi posted:

Chihiro's and Chiaki's name both start with 'Chi', their birthdays match, and — at least from what we've seen from Chiaki thus far — they're both rather quiet characters. While this comparison is open for interpretation, I don't really see much of anything amounting from this.

Because Chihiro is dead, has different hair/eye color, and was a different gender.

Please don't just reach for ways to connect two characters...

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 30, 2012

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gensuki posted:

Because Chihiro is dead, has different hair/eye color, and was a different gender.

To be fair, it's pretty clear at this point that the writers are deliberately including plenty of references to the original DR1 cast in this game. (Akane, Nagito, and "Togami" being the most obvious examples.) It's not unreasonable to think that that writers intentionally chose to give Chiaki the same birthdate as Chihiro, in order to establish a subtle thematic connection.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

She looks like she's maybe 8 years old. It's really, really common for kids to kill ants individually, and in horrific ways (squashing, burning, etc). It's not sociopathic in the least.

Honestly, I know that most goons don't go outside or interact with people in non-digital ways, but this is getting a bit silly.

But maybe the ant killing thing is a ruse and she's actually just a crazy midget :tinfoil:

RandomYoshi posted:

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Every game is coded using at least one programming language, but multiple programming languages may be used to code a game. You can even say that programming is the very pinnacle of every game produced since, well, games existed, pretty much. In short, without programming, there wouldn't be any games.

Board games, card games, tabletops, etc?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 30, 2012

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

QuarkJets posted:

She looks like she's maybe 8 years old. It's really, really common for kids to kill ants individually, and in horrific ways (squashing, burning, etc). It's not sociopathic in the least.

The Problem is that she is at least 15 years old or older and she still gets a sick enjoyment out of doing this.

I did what she did in the past however I stopped after I turned 5 It's kind of creepy for someone at least 10 years older to still be doing that.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

Coolguye posted:

Hanamura's got that huge pompadour looking haircut which no real life chef would be seen dead with lest they risk getting a hair in the food or accidentally setting it on fire.

What I'm getting at is that I'm pretty sure they didn't take the SHSL talents directly into account when designing the characters beyond "let's stick Hanamura into a chef's outfit!" and "athletes are hot, right? Let's make Owari hot." The Jury's out on whether this is a bad thing or not - on the one hand, if someone who actually knows something about gymnastics or about cooking or about any of the other SHSL talents plays the game, they'll likely notice any inconsistencies, but on the other hand, how many people who know that much about gymnastics/cooking/whatever are likely to play the game? It's a matter of aesthetics versus risking breaking a few people's suspension of disbelief, and they went with the former.

RandomYoshi
Dec 28, 2012

Gensuki posted:

And that's specifically why I said "While this comparison is open for interpretation, I don't really see much of anything amounting from this." Because I really did not see anything amount from that comparison at all. Personally, I find ways of connecting characters from the first game with those from this game dumb unless we have it confirmed that they are connected somehow. Now, don't take me wrong or anything — I'm all in for some nicely laid out and well-reasoned speculation, but aimless stabbing in the dark is always irksome as all hell (yes, I'm appearing as a huge loving hypocrite here. Sue me or something).

DaveWoo posted:

To be fair, it's pretty clear at this point that the writers are deliberately including plenty of references to the original DR1 cast in this game. (Akane, Nagito, and "Togami" being the most obvious examples.) It's not unreasonable to think that that writers intentionally chose to give Chiaki the same birthdate as Chihiro, in order to establish a subtle thematic connection.
For one, Oren did state in the podcast that the second game was pretty much written for players who played and enjoyed the first game, so I find this very believable. And speaking of that podcast (which I assume everyone listened to), Oren did also state that DR1 hosed with your expectations. For example, the DR1 Togami was sure about that he wouldn't die, so naturally everyone and their dogs assumed that he was going to die some time or another. But that obviously didn't happen. Maybe this game includes a similar situation and fucks with our minds in great ways? I wouldn't count out the possibility of that happening any time in this game at all.

QuarkJets posted:

Board games, card games, tabletops, etc?
Those are obviously exceptions to that. I thought that it was clear from the context that I was talking about video-games, but you can never be too sure about that, can you?

With that out of the way, I have a question for you, Oren. Seeing as every character has been introduced, do you have a favourite character? If so, who is it?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

RandomYoshi posted:

With that out of the way, I have a question for you, Oren. Seeing as every character has been introduced, do you have a favourite character? If so, who is it?

I do have my favorites, but I won't make the mistake of revealing them again. Even though we're done with the introductions, you've really only seen the bare minimum of these characters' personalities.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Problem is that she is at least 15 years old or older and she still gets a sick enjoyment out of doing this.

I did what she did in the past however I stopped after I turned 5 It's kind of creepy for someone at least 10 years older to still be doing that.

I don't think that we actually know her age; she could have skipped some grades

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

QuarkJets posted:

I doubt she did.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

QuarkJets posted:

To my (admittedly limited) knowledge that doesn't really happen in the Japanese school system. It's one of the reasons why Chiyo is considered so unusual in Azumanga Daioh.

Wikipedia posted:

Chiyo Mihama (美浜 ちよ Mihama Chiyo?), usually called Chiyo-chan, is a child prodigy, having skipped five grades to 10th grade (the first year of high school in Japan) at the start of the series, yet she is still at the top of the class. Such grade-skipping would be unthinkable in Japan, and the series humorously explores its potential consequences.

And the game makes a point that one of the requirements for attending Hope's Peak Academy is that you have to already be in high school in order to attend, so... yeah. She's gotta be at least 15 or older.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 1, 2013

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012

orenronen posted:

I do have my favorites, but I won't make the mistake of revealing them again. Even though we're done with the introductions, you've really only seen the bare minimum of these characters' personalities.

Good going Oren, you naming a favorite now would probably reveal that that character survives the first round.

windylion
Oct 9, 2012
Man, I just want to take a brush to Akane's hair and straighten out her clothing. I don't understand how people can stand to be that messy.

Anyway. This "special pwesent" meeting is probably going to be something like "here are your pwesents go murder each other" or something really tame that either ends up being a murder weapon. Though, Usami did say they're not supposed to kill each other... either way, I doubt it's going to be something ordinary and not-horrifying.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Author-Man posted:

Hanamura's got that huge pompadour looking haircut which no real life chef would be seen dead with lest they risk getting a hair in the food or accidentally setting it on fire.
Yeah, I and other people have already said stuff like this multiple times:

Coolguye posted:

Nothing about Asahina's character design said 'swimmer', really. Aside from having tits that were way too big, her entire body should've been more muscled. Propelling yourself through a liquid environment is hard work on every muscle. Swimmers are not skinny like she was.

So, nothing about Owari's body says 'gymnast'. Nothing new there, move along.

Also I'm not even going to dignify the catty horseshit about sports bras with a response.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
While killing ants isn't omg super evil terrorist, the fact the game made a point to show that she's killing them, and that she's doing it on her first day of meeting a bunch of people, very publicly...

It's not something to be ignored, is all.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

orenronen posted:

How much did you guys consider the SA mentality when you were working on the translation and localization this time through? Did you guys aim this more at the SA audience or a general english (speaking) audience.

I'm asking because we've already got the back and forth about whether or not the chef is a cocky sex pest or veritable predator, and whether squishing ants indicates the dancer is a psychopath or immature. It's typical for these subjects on SA to turn out this way, the most obvious being goons' habits of demonising anyone who says anything remotely creepy or reading far too deeply into tiny amounts of information.

I was just wondering if you anticipated that happening here, so the creep was portrayed that way on purpose, or whether people immediately thinking he's rapey is just a by-product of this being read on SA and not the intended reading.

I'm not trying to say anyone's done it to a bad degree in this thread, before anyone thinks I'm being a judgemental jerk. Just thinking of SA as a whole rather than specific examples.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
I think the idea Akane Owari as an athletic wunderkind is interesting because it plays off actual theories of athletic genius. Akane doesn't train yet is able to be one of the best in her field. A possible reason for this is when she performs she enters a fugue state where a high level of performance is reached with a small amount of actual conscious effort. Essentially, her athletic skill is somewhat inherent and she is able to exhibit awesome maneuvers in her sport with very little actual skill because her brain uses very little brain power when performing simple athletic tasks.

For a more in depth look at athletic genius watch this video PBS's Idea Channel on YouTube. It is overall good, besides the typical dumb YouTube things (cutaways, Asking viewers to like, comment, and subscribe, etc.).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE-vSJh0N_A

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 30, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

I'd been staring at the report for this (Report Reason: "Really inappropriate fanart.") and it's funny because the report title really made this look inappropriate...

...Except the joke didn't quite make sense... but Internet fanart can be weird. I guess it wasn't probatable... just weird...

So I let the report sit and returned to it today, still undecided if it was actionable or creepy or what. Zorak saw the report too and asked me about it, and I actually said "ohhhhhhh!" when I realized it's thin Togami unzipping his fat suit.

I feel like it's one of those things where half of you will say, "Well, yeah, slowbeef, of course it is." But for people like the reporter and myself, I'll just leave it at "Phew."

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

slowbeef posted:

I feel like it's one of those things where half of you will say, "Well, yeah, slowbeef, of course it is." But for people like the reporter and myself, I'll just leave it at "Phew."

I think the artist knew their art skills weren't quite up to snuff, because that arrow there? The word above it is "zipper".

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Huh, I thought it was Togami giving Togami a piggyback ride, not really inappropriate.

On a completely different note, I want to say I like Usami's manner of speaking, not the baby talk but the matter-of-fact way she says everything, like "magic stick" and her off-key analogies. I hope she gets some of those monologues Monobear used to do at lights out.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Lethemonster posted:

How much did you guys consider the SA mentality when you were working on the translation and localization this time through? Did you guys aim this more at the SA audience or a general english (speaking) audience.

I'm asking because we've already got the back and forth about whether or not the chef is a cocky sex pest or veritable predator, and whether squishing ants indicates the dancer is a psychopath or immature. It's typical for these subjects on SA to turn out this way, the most obvious being goons' habits of demonising anyone who says anything remotely creepy or reading far too deeply into tiny amounts of information.

I was just wondering if you anticipated that happening here, so the creep was portrayed that way on purpose, or whether people immediately thinking he's rapey is just a by-product of this being read on SA and not the intended reading.

I'm not trying to say anyone's done it to a bad degree in this thread, before anyone thinks I'm being a judgemental jerk. Just thinking of SA as a whole rather than specific examples.

Speaking for myself here: I don't rewrite lines in a manner that "aims" them at anyone in particular - really, I'm not sure how I could without pretty much falsifying the dialogue. The tone of the scene is the tone of the scene, and so far it's always been apparent in rough drafts. I haven't made Hanamura any more or less creepy than he already was.

Personally, I was more worried about reactions to Saionji than reactions to Hanamura. Shows what I know, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

To my (admittedly limited knowledge) that doesn't really happen in the Japanese school system. It's one of the reasons why Chiyo is considered so unusual in Azumanga Daioh.

And the game makes a point that one of the requirements for attending Hope's Peak Academy is that you have to already be in high school in order to attend, so... yeah. She's gotta be at least 15 or older.

That's very interesting! Well then, I guess it confirms that she's probably the same age as everyone else and is just short.

HoneyBoy posted:

Huh, I thought it was Togami giving Togami a piggyback ride, not really inappropriate.

Hah, that was my interpretation too. Although it'd still be weird if fat Togami turns out to just be a younger or older Togami from the first game

• Locked thread