Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Not sure if this has been speculated on already, but I'm seeing some serious parallels between these characters and DR1... Probably intentionally.
Their mannerisms and in some cases even art seem to match up.

Luck = Luck (Maybe)
Heir = Heir
Nurse = Author
Music Grouper = Fashion Model (Though she behaves kind of like Swimmer...)
Princess = Idol
Swordswoman = Detective
Mechanic = Genocider (Though he behaves kind of like Baseball player..)
Traditional Dancer = Gambler
Photographer = Swimmer
Cook = Manga Artist
Gamer = Hacker
Coach = Hall Monitor
Gangster = Gang Leader/Soldier?
Gymnast = Wrestler (Though she's totally Baseball player carefree..)
Animal Breeder = Fortune Teller (he's certainly about as oblivious so far..)
??? = ...

This is all speculative of course and there are a few I'm even debating personally now, (feeling like photographer might be more like the gang leader personality wise, for example,) but I can't shake the idea that they're all related somehow to the DR1'ers.
Of course, reading DR1 and seeing how this is going we're probably being led to believe this until they completely pull the rug out from under us.

Edit: Ungh and now that I look at it Gangster totally looks like Hall Monitor when he's pissed..

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This was actually the only thing anyone talked about when the characters were first introduced, and some of the more obvious parallels continue to be discussed.

Haha good to know! I'm only just catching up now, going on 70 pages is a lot of reading x_x
Thanks!

Personally, I'm thinking Traditional Dancer is as good as dead, sooner rather than later. Likely early-mid game. A personality that specifically obnoxious would get grating by the end.

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 3, 2013

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
There's going to be a murder sooon! I'm so stoked! :dance:

I'm excited to have a stupid little theory in the back of my head shattered. If you look at the Official Art on the first page, you'll notice most of the cast is "circled" in some way, but some of them aren't. For example, Mikan Tsumiki is slipping and surrounded in medical supplies, while Nagito and Hiyoko have a "spinny" effect going on that circles them with a sort of motion blur. There are six cast members without any kind of feature of this sort, the same number of survivors from the last game...

I'd like to see one of these six murdered/as a murderer as soon as possible so I can stop thinking about it.

As for the first case? I think it would be pretty neat if Togami were the murderer. It would make sense if he were the intruder Monobear mentioned, (if this is the same Togami from DR1,) and it would give him an opportunity to satisfy his obsessive urge from the first game, to "win the game," as he has all the experience from last time and thus is holding all the cards. In this case him taking a leadership role would make sense as a diversionary tactic.

Of course I'm very likely completely wrong. If there's anything Dangan Ronpa is trying to drill into our heads it's "if you're making assumptions ever, you're probably wrong."

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Can do: All that poo poo is there to suggest that the people drawn aren't standing still, a technique commonly employed by thousands of comic book and cartoon artists around the world in countless pieces of artwork depicting people doing poo poo. I've seen theories that are kind of reaching in this thread. Yours could probably graze Pluto. At least you were honest about it being stupid.

Yes, okay, precisely, I get that, and while I'm not going back on the theory being completely stupid, for the sake of argument, why would they leave six people motionless/unsurrounded? It would have been trivial to illustrate some photographs or film blowing around Mahiru Koizumi, but they chose not to, while Nagito in particular really didn't.. need the motion blur. At all.

In any case, one of them will be dead soon and it won't matter anymore. That aside, your attitude's brutal dude. Let's focus on being constructive here. I'll maintain my Togami murder theory for now.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Orenronen - Last time we just up and let our Monomi tamagotchi pet.. thing fill with despair and die.
Are we going to care for it this time? What's the status there? Are we letting it die intentionally?

I feel like it's only ever been brought up during its introduction and when it died on us..

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 28, 2013

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
For those interested - ordered results:

Chiaki Nanami------(338)
Peko Pekoyama----(387)
Sonia Nevermind---(390)
Ibuki Mioda---------(417)
Gundam Tanaka----(446)
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu-(493)
Mahiru Koizumi-----(504)
Kazuichi Souda-----(554)
Nekomaru Nidai----(561)
Mikan Tsumiki------(588)
Nagito Komaeda---(628)
Akane Owari--------(633)
Hiyoko Saionji------(742)

Frankly, I'm feeling like Nagito or Chiaki are in a good place to be the next victim, plot wise. (Though I'm really hoping it's Nagito.) Chiaki has been seeing a lot of screen time and even got her "I cannot condone mutual killing!" soundbite, which I can only hope is not a red flag of death. :ohdear:

Reason I think Nagito isn't long for this world is we've kind of seen his shtick, and it's going to just muddle up future trials in the exact same way. I feel like now would be a good time to remove him as he knows too much, we don't know why, and that discovery could be trial-solving.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Apollove posted:

Basing on a guess...

A-Ko: Tsumiki Mikan: That timid attitude can only belong to her

B-Ko: etc...

Based on (our brief view on their) personalities alone, I'd venture:

A-Ko: Tsumiki Mikan (as you suggested)
B-Ko: Hiyoko Saionji (same, as she's mean to A-Ko)
C-Ko: Ibuki Mioda ("Ukyaaaaaaa!" - Who else is this loudmouthed?)
D-Ko: Mahiru Koizumi (Photographer, it's a stretch but who knows?)

Then, if this is meant to reflect the "real" girls, we have Chiaki Nanami, Peko Pekoyama, Sonia Nevermind, and Akane Owari to choose from for E-Ko.

Honestly though, E-Ko really sounds most like Hinata from the beginning of the game, before he'd decided to go swimming with everyone. Anyway, this is likely baseless. I wonder if we're meant to draw a parallel at all.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

quote:

G...Good day! Um, fine weather we're having, uh...
I won't let you get away this time!!
Waaaaaah! I got too nervous again and said something weird!

:stare:
That's.. that's uh.. huh.
Usual Mikan nonsense or something more telling..?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Popo posted:

The way I see it right now there are three main possibilities;
3) Photos from Miharu. Could be blackmail, could be a warning, could just be something she thinks would be important to him.

Might be a stretch, but maybe Mahiru was photographing people who played the game? Can't imagine why she'd give those shots to Kuzuryuu though..

Hah, very nice. Reminds me a lot of Pictures For Sad Children. I actually thought it was a frame out of it at first glance.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Seshoho Cian posted:

How about some more pictures for sad students?

This is wonderful. (The original) Skull of Despair is one of my favorite comic strips.

As for the murder, I'm really hoping we'll get a chance to go back and see more Twilight Syndrome in the investigation period. I don't know if Nanami played the game or not, but if she hasn't, I want to see what happens when she gets her hands on it.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Kangra posted:

A freed Nagito would be the perfect accomplice if one is needed. He'd do what he can to make the killer's job easier, trusting in the abilities of his classmates to still solve it.

quote:

But, if you decide to kill me, come consult with me first, will you? I'll cooperate with any culprit that does.

I'm thinking the culprit freed Nagito, killed Koizumi, and had him boost them out the window.
Then, he walked out the back door leaving the footprints.

Anything in the name of hope, right?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
edited

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 3, 2013

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

pospysyl posted:

Who could have placed the mask, I wonder? We know that someone between Saionji and Souda found the body, so whoever that was placed the mask. Nagito seems like the kind of person who would gently caress with a mystery just because, but Kzuryuu knows something from his envelope (again, like the secret Illuminati files from Case 2 in the original).

Maybe Koizumi was the one wearing it! Time will tell.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
That's pretty interesting, I guess that discussion we had about pinning people to X-Ko's earlier wasn't so far off. I'm really surprised that there was a targeted motive after all, it doesn't really seem like Monobear's style.

Orenoren - Just out of curiosity, does something special happen if you enter the secret code the first time you play Twilight Syndrome? Some kind of easter egg ending or something?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Fragrag posted:

So the game implies that E-Ko killed the first girl, to vindicate D-Ko. A day later, E-Ko was murdered herself. What was this game's serial killer's schtick again? Some kind of Dexter kind of thing where the murderers were killed?

(I'd love to google the characters to double check my facts or to look up small stuff, but I'm just going to get spoiled that way)

quote:

Ah, but putting him aside... this is the one I am most interested in.
This "Kirakira-chan" has been a regular on these special features for some time, you see.
But just in case, let me explain to you everything about him...
Kirakira-chan is a self-appointed "Warrior of Justice" serial killer!

A delightful serial killer who wears masks of hero characters from all over the world, killing off criminals one by one!

I think this is all we know.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

Koizumi not asking Saionji to join the meet-up is no doubt important.

Much more likely Saionji was lying. Her mannerisms this scene were terribly abnormal.

I'm curious how Monobear got the information behind this whole plot, unless the whole thing was somehow revealed publicly after E-Ko was killed it seems like Monobear would need to be one of these girls to put the whole story together. (Though how F-Suke connected a photo of a shattered vase and his sister's murder I will never understand.)

As an aside, I really loved how this game framed what is "real" and what is "fake." The picture of the "real" (our world) dead girl seems fake and CG to them, and only when they found a cartoony "photo" of the same scene did they believe it actually happened.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
I've been considering the idea that Koizumi is/was actually Kirakira. (Given that the mask was on the floor, and we're not sure who was wearing it.)

In Twilight Syndrome murder mystery it is heavily implied that Kuzuryuu killed E-Ko, but if we pretend Koizumi is Kirakira, isn't it just as likely that she did it? It seems like a just punishment for a murderer in Kirakira's eyes.

As to how it relates to the current mystery, I would assume that maybe Koizumi had been counter-attacked, or perhaps surprised somehow. (Especially if the blow were from behind.)

Maybe not the best theory but I think it's worth considering.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Walterion posted:

It's looking to be Peko as the killer. The motive just escapes me, really.
Also, Baby face's objection is quite good.

If we assume Sonia isn't full of nonsense and Peko is actually Kirakira, then it makes sense that she would have killed E-Ko, (I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU FOR KILLING) and also followup killed Mahiru for helping her.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Fedule posted:

a) He's really really arrogant
b) He talks like a crazy supervillian pastiche
c) Come up with something

The way that Gundam is coming off (at least to me) in this translation is that he's a lonely nerd with delusions of grandeur. These requirements don't really seem like they're.. aiming for that. Is this an artistic liberty taken for this thread?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

orenronen posted:

What the hell is "Hope's Peak Preparatory School?" I've never heard of any such thing!
...You haven't?
That’s odd... I can see how the others wouldn't have, but you, at least, should know all about it.
W...What do you mean...?

Iinteresting. SHSL Diplomat? SHSL Graduate? SHSL Mediator?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

loquacius posted:

Guys, OBVIOUSLY Souda was the one who killed Ibuki, because he hated her music that much. Too bad for him that hating death-metal so much that you ritualistically hang someone to death over it is basically the most death-metal thing I can think of! His ironic comeuppance is complete! :unsmigghh:

While I know you're being facetious, he alone has the know-how to muck with the transmitter and send a fake pre-recorded video through it. I don't know if that's enough to convict him, though I'm pretty sure that video feed wasn't live.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Gally posted:

Hrm.

Its not just the hair, look how much more of the arms and legs stick out of the robe in the second image compared to the first. Thats totally Saionji in the video.

Ehh, I'm not so sure about that. The shoulders are really quite shoulder level, and Saionji isn't that tall. I think standing upright and hanging by your neck just do different things to your body.

Not suggesting that was actually footage of Ibuki, mind you, just that it's unlikely Saionji's in there.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Stroth posted:

That's a step ladder. It's four or five feet tall at the most. Compare it to the person climbing it. That's Saionji. She's the only one even near short enough. How is this supposed to be a mystery?

A) Kuzuryuu isn't much taller than Saionji, though I will admit Ibuki is taller than the stepladder, at least from that screenshot.

B) You have to remember that you have the privilege of reading this as a Let's Play that you can go back and review- when you're actually playing the game you aren't going to load up your file at this point and replay plot points looking for hints. I'm guessing you were only meant to look at those images for a few seconds each and not even notice how tall the person is.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
WELP IT WASN'T SAIONJI YOU GUYS!

Ugh, I knew they'd have multiple people all bust in the room at the same time. Now we can't disqualify anybody as the murderer except of course Hinata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Son of a bitch, there's the trick.

I'm thinking the murderer had already killed Saionji and strung her up as soon as Hinata left. But we should have Kuzuryuu's word to the effect that Mikan was at the hospital checking on the patients with him. So, if she's responsible for this, how'd she pull it off..?

It's farfetched, but it's still possible that she killed Ibuki and Saionji was someone else's work. What's frustrating is that since four people all broke into the murder scene at once, we don't know if the person who strung up Saionji "discovered" the Ibuki body or not.

• Locked thread