Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Finally, the curtain opens on a new game of mutual killing and despair. I'll be following along on this one, too. :waycool:

And here's our new batch of students. The first mystery I can see right out the gate is where these sixteen new students came from. After all, I seem to recall that Junko mentioned that the students from the first game were the only survivors of the Despairing Incident.

Unless she was lying about that, I suspect another time gap. My initial guess is that this is taking place a generation after the first game, after society recovered from the Despairing Incident and Hope's Peak Academy reopened its doors. The presence of Fat Togami seems designed to trick us into thinking this is a direct sequel.

I'm guessing Fat Togami isn't actually the Togami from the first game, but his son. The resemblance of the new cast to the first game's characters might be intentional, and there might be other descendants of the survivors of the first despair game around. For instance, the white-haired guy in the hoodie does look a bit like a mix of Naegi and Kirigiri, doesn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

IceBorg posted:

Yeah the whole Hinata vs Naegi is interesting. One of the things I'm looking forward to now, is how Hinata will react to the death game. With Naegi's personality and the fact that he was the protagonist it clearly told us that there was a very low change of him murder someone and so his role in the story was very predictable in that way, but with this info on Hinata's character I'm very interested on how he will react to everything and how he will lead the trials.

It looks like our new protagonist is going to be a more assertive character than Naegi was. I wonder how this will translate outside of trials as well.

Maybe Hinata will be more active in attempting to find a way to escape the despair game and figuring out what's going on.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

RentCavalier posted:

EDIT: Oh wait, duh. It's his son. Byakyu Togami the Second.

Nagito is Naegi and Kirigiri's child. This game takes place 20 odd years later. Hope and Despair are battling each other in the post-Event world, and this island is yet another staging ground for a metaphorical debate amongst the emotions.

There, solved it. Best detective, right here. Give me my cookie.

That's what I was thinking, too. I'm still not convinced that this Togami is the real deal. I'm even less convinced that Nagito is Naegi, since he's a bit too tall to be our old protagonist. It could be a growth spurt, but remember that two extra years passed before the start of the first game (making a sudden growth spurt less likely). I'm thinking it has to be a red herring.

Assuming that there's a 20-year time gap involved, I'm guessing this island trip is intended as a sort of secret "entrance exam" for the new Hope's Peak Academy. After all the damage Junko did to the school and the world, I'm sure a reopened Hope's Peak would want to test the character of its students to prevent another Super High-School Level Despair.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Would it be too much to speculate that the Board's lack of ability to cover the above incident up is what led to Monoworld? It certainly ties in somewhat tenuously to the first DR0 entry- if Junko (not repeating the meme here, just so's we're clear) wanted news about said incident to get out, there were no lack of fellow students who had the ability, especially if the adults in charge weren't SHSL-anybodies (which is kind of odd, considering that Hope's Peak was in operation for hundreds of years).

To get back on track, I wonder which way the plot of Zero is going. If it's going to be a murder mystery like the games, perhaps it will deal with the students (particularly a certain SHSL Detective) deciding to investigate the incident mentioned in the last update, since the staff has decided to hush it up.

This also leads to another question; is this incident the Despairing Incident mentioned in the first game, or is it simply the prelude to something bigger, which results in the Monoworld shown at the end of the first game? It'd be ironic if the people investigating this incident ended up unwittingly causing the disaster which led to the events of the first game.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Magic Pants posted:

Also, he has the ability to know where to look to advance the plot, which could be hinting at his SHSL ability being Detective [like Kirigiri], if taken as a story and gameplay integration mechanic.

I don't know, it seems a little too obvious for the second Super High School-Level ??? to be another Detective. Especially since his situation parallels Kirigiri's so closely, in that they both had forgotten their SHSL talents because of amnesia. I'm thinking this has to be some sort of misdirection on the part of the game.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Interesting. If I recall correctly, one of the developer interviews that was translated in the first game's thread mentioned that there were a few ideas for SHSL talents that didn't make it into the first game. One of those was "animal trainer", and it looks like they worked that into this game.

And the SHSL Animal Trainer looks like he's about as loopy as Hagakure, and about as intense as Ishimaru. And he talks like a cartoon supervillain. A winning combination. :haw:

The SHSL Mechanic looks like a pretty chill dude, too. His talent looks like it would be pretty useful in finding a way off the island, since he seemed confident that he'd be able to get the planes flying if they had any engines. That would seem to improve his chances of survival, but then again, we said the same thing about Chihiro from the last game...

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 16, 2012

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Waitaminute... there, on the bottom of the vending machine. Is that... :stare:

Hinata's right to be paranoid. There's something fishy about this "peaceful tropical vacation". Usami might not be as benevolent as she appears on the surface.

Holy crap, this lady's got issues. After all, she can't even talk to people without bursting into tears. If this vacation ends up turning into another murder-filled despair game, she'll probably snap like a twig or turn out to be secretly psychotic like Fukawa.

Then again, medical skills are a useful talent. She's just as likely to end up patching someone up from an attempted murder.

The SHSL Musician looks pretty interesting, as well. The "punk rocker" look she's got kind of reminds me of Leon. I'm a bit surprised they didn't pull a gag where she gets sick of music and decides to become a baseball player.

Hopefully she lasts longer than Leon did, at least.

Incidentally, we now have an animal trainer and a musician, both of which were mentioned in one of the developer interviews as Super High-School Level talents that didn't make it into the first game. I wonder if one of the other students on this island is a Super High-School Level Entomologist, since that's the other talent brought up in that interview.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 18, 2012

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Noumena posted:

Also, predicting that Protagonist McAntennahead is going to be killed first and NotNaegi will take over. (Mostly just wishful thinking because I would love to be thrown for a loop like that.)

That would be an amazing twist, actually. We've already had the "supposed love interest as first victim" twist in the first game, so a decoy protagonist would be a good way to up the ante. Since both Hinata and Nagito have been going around introducing themselves to the other characters, it'd be interesting if that was done to conceal the identity of the real protagonist.

Of course, they'd still have to explain what the deal was with Hinata's talent, and they already used the "early victim was the mastermind/working with the mastermind" card with Junko/Mukuro.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

And we thought Ishimaru was intense. This guy makes him look like a tame kitten by comparison. Of course, that's to be expected from someone who shoots lightning out of his eyes.

Though Hinata did bring up a valid point: why is someone who looks like that a coach rather than a player? Perhaps Nidai once was an athlete, but turned to coaching after an injury. That sort of thing might end up being important if people start dying. This guy doesn't look like he'd be an easy target.

The SHSL Yakuza looks like a mix of Mondo and Togami personality-wise. He seems to have a bit of Togami's arrogance, mixed with Mondo's short temper. With the warning we got not to call him "Babyface", the dude's probably got a massive Napoleon complex.

It'll be interesting to see how he interacts with the actual Togami. If Togami has mellowed out since the first game(assuming it really is Togami), it may help to contrast his development with someone who acts more like his old self.

At last, someone who's sensible! It's interesting to see someone else thinking about getting off the island besides Hinata (and possibly Souda, since he was checking out the planes and may have been looking for an exit). Maybe she'll be the relatively normal character who survives for a long time, like Asahina.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Super High-School Level... Gamer, was it? With a talent like that, you'd expect her to break out the game quotes immediately. She seems to be a bit more subdued, though. She's certainly less obnoxious than Yamada, at least (though admittedly that doesn't take much).

It's good to see some more subdued characters, though. Between the Animal Trainer and the Coach, we've got plenty of bombastic, over-the-top types.

The swordswoman looks like an interesting design, as well. She certainly appears to have picked up Sakura's "stoic warrior" schtick.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Let's see what we've got here.

I seem to recall someone earlier describing the SHSL Princess as an "anti-Celes", and that assessment seems to be spot-on. Where Celes was a faux-foreigner with a reputation as the "Queen of Liars", Sonia seems to be naive and honest to a fault. I could see her easily getting tricked or manipulated by a potential murderer to obfuscate matters.

:stare:

Yep, that chef's a real horndog. Looks like we've got this game's Yamada, as in the creepy weirdo that everyone wishes would die first.

Like Yamada before him, I'm sure the Ultraspoon will overstay his welcome. Maybe he won't be as insufferable as the first impression makes him look, though.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 26, 2012

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

There's an obvious resemblance to Asahina there, both in appearance and personality(since she's got a similar habit of forgetting people's names). If this is a distant sequel, I wouldn't be surprised if she was one of Asahina's descendants (along with the Togami of this game being a descendant of the original).

Then again, the fat Togami seems to have the same birthday and same height as the original(while obviously being heavier). I guess if there were any differences it would be a major tipoff that something wasn't right. Of course, if this is really the same Togami, it only raises further questions, such as the reason why he's here with these new students, and the reason for his current... obesity.

You know, something else seems a bit familiar about Akane... It reminds me of some of the early concept art of Sakura that was posted in the first game's thread.

The outfit does seem very similar to our SHSL Gymnast, doesn't it? I wouldn't be surprised if her design was based off the same concept art, only made more feminine.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

- From what I've been able to tell from the past few in game posts, the word "despair" doesn't show up as in game text by anyone until... now. By Mahiru. She ends up being the one to bring the word up and put the thought in everyone's mind before (right before, mind you) Monobear shows up. So, there is my suggestion for the mastermind this time around: Mahiru Koizumi

You know, that also made me suspicious. Compared to the rest of the cast, she seems a bit too normal. There's also something about her appearance that bugs me...

The gray eyes and freckles look suspiciously familiar... If she's the mastermind, I wonder if she'll turn out to be Mukuro Ikusaba in disguise? It's possible that the fake Junko from the first game was a stand-in, which she sent in her place because she suspected that Junko would eventually turn on her. She'd then join this group of students under an alias in order to run another despair game.

On the other hand, Saionji looks way too suspicious to actually be a threat. Her obsession with squishing small critters is starting to remind me of Genocider Syo, in that she's too obviously psycho to be a culprit. Add her resemblance to Junko to the mix, and I'm smelling a red herring.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

orenronen posted:

What... is going on? Who's this new stuffed toy?

A few others have noticed this, but it's odd that Togami doesn't appear to recognize Monobear.

Of course, there's a number of possible explanations. The Despair organization has been demonstrated to have the ability to manipulate memories, so they might have wiped Togami's memory. Then again, if they had, I'd expect him to be a bit more confused about his sudden weight gain since the end of the first game.

Or maybe Togami does recognize Monobear, but is keeping it close to his chest. That might explain why he looks so uncharacteristically freaked out, when in the first game he considered himself the invincible King of Smug Mountain.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

kvltmanifesto posted:

just a little thing I've been thinking about. One of the reasons some people are skeptical about Nagito and Togami being their DR1 counterparts is that they don't recognise Monobear. If you take that to it's illogical conclusion, people that do recognise Monobear are returning characters. And the only one who does recognise Monobear is Monomi. Could her controller be one of the surviving students from DR1?

Possibly. There could be a number of explanations as to why Monomi knew who Monobear was.

1. Like you say, she's being controlled by a DR1 survivor, who may have founded a Hope organization to counter the Despair organization.

2. Monobear and Monomi are both being controlled by the Despair organization, and are pulling a "good cop, bad cop" routine on the students. That will lead to maximum DESPAIR if they decide to trust Monomi and she betrays them.

3. Since the events of the first game were being broadcast, and the images of the Despairing Event showed Monobear's image plastered everywhere, it's not a stretch to say that whoever is controlling Usami/Monomi knows about who Monobear is and the Despair organization it represents.

This is, of course, assuming that this game takes place after the first one. Monobear's speech in the last update seemed to suggest that was the case, though that could be misdirection on the part of the game.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Catastrophics posted:

Strange that there's no rule against killing more than two students this time. Are there any other rules from the first game missing in the list?

The most notable omission I can see is that this time there aren't any specific rules regarding the students' activities during Night Time. Monobear simply mentioned that it might be a bad idea to wander around at night as there might be killers around. There's no mention of any locations which are out-of-bounds at that time, and no rules limiting where the students are allowed to sleep.

I wonder if this means that someone will try barricading themselves into one of the buildings with a food source, reasoning that they can't get killed if they don't let anyone in.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

orenronen posted:

I wonder if he's gonna be alright... People who act like that often turn out to be the first victims, you know?

I wonder how many of us were thinking the same thing?

Since Souda's been acting so jumpy this update, he seems like the type to panic and kill someone out of fear for his life. Then again, the game itself is pointing this out, so he might not end up killing or getting killed so soon.

Speaking of which, I wonder how Monobear is going to get the murder ball rolling this time. If this is anything like the last despair game, he's bound to start breaking out the motives once the students have gone long enough without killing each other. It'll be interesting to see which tricks he'll pull this time - or if someone ends up murdered without any additional prodding.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

CandyCrazy posted:

Oh hey Souda brought up the "hole up in your room" strategy. The idea that Mikan intentionally tripped that spectacularly is interesting, though what purpose it would serve I'm not sure. Coach is also still awesome.

They might be setting up Mikan's clumsiness as a plot point. For instance, maybe she ends up falling off a balcony, and we have to figure out whether it was an accident, or she was pushed.

Knowing Monobear, it'd be perfectly in-character for him to call a trial for a fatal accident, just to make everyone paranoid that a murder happened.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

orenronen posted:

Wait! You and Kuzuryuu are possibilities, sure, but I won’t allow any suspicion towards Sonia-san!!
Look at her! She's a golden haired princess! She's nothing like the rest of you commoners!

Yeah, it definitely looks like the mechanic's holding a torch for Sonia, with how quick he was to jump to her defense. I wonder where this is going? Given Souda's tendency to panic, there's a possibility he'll end up killing someone because he thinks they're threatening the SHSL Princess.

Also, it's funny seeing the Animal Trainer dropping the "evil overlord" act and getting flustered.

quote:

FREE TIME START

You know what to do. Nevertheless, some notes: First, I will not be completing characters' free time events after each chapter. Not just because (as DR1 proved) it's a pain, but also because the game provides a much better way to get to them after you see the ending. Second, as opposed to DR1, every character here gets the exact same number of scenes. We need our first two characters to make Hope Shards with, so get voting!

Hm. Looks like this time they aren't railroading us into picking a particular student (such as Nagito) first. Of course, given what happened to Maizono in the first game, that would be painting a huge target on whoever they chose as the "tutorial" free-time event. So, I figure that they're trying to make the first victim a bit less obvious this time.

I guess it's a good call to wait on this game's free-time events until the end, given that the free time events from the first game aren't done yet. Having to do events from both games would be a major hassle.

As for voting... hm. It's a tough choice. More of the cast in this game stand out from the very beginning.

Let's go with Chiaki and Gundam, to start things off.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 22, 2013

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Just did my own vote count, and here's what I got:

VOTE TALLY SO FAR:

Byakuya Togami (chufty heir): 66
Gundam Tanaka (hamster boy): 63
Sonia Nevermind (princess): 43
Nekomaru Nidai (BURNING SPIRIT): 23
Kazuichi Souda (incredibly jumpy mechanic): 20
Nagito Komaeda (not Naegi): 18
Chiaki Nanami (gamer girl): 14
Peko Pekoyama (swordswoman): 10
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu (SHSL Yakuza): 8
Hiyoko Saionji (borderline psychopath): 8
Ibuki Mioda (musician): 7
Akane Owari (gymnast): 5
Mahiru Koizumi (photographer): 4
Teruteru Hanamura (Ultraspoon): 4
Mikan Tsumiki (hopeless klutz): 0

So it looks like Togami and Gundam have a commanding lead right now. Curious how the only one without any votes right now is Mikan.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 21, 2013

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not that it's really needed, but should oren want to, here's a vote tally so far:

Gundam Tanaka: 122
Byakuya Togami: 115
Sonia Nevermind: 86
Nagito Komaeda: 44
Nekomaru Nidai: 36
Kazuichi Souda: 31
Chiaki Nanami: 27
Peko Pekoyama: 18
Ibuki Mioda: 16
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu: 15
Hiyoko Saionji: 10
Teruteru Hanamura: 10
Akane Owari: 9
Mahiru Koizumi: 4
Mikan Tsumiki: 2

Whoa, that vote count really IS insane. I don't think any of the vote counts in the first game's thread broke a hundred votes for an individual character. Then again, this thread is now at over a hundred pages and a million views, and we haven't even had a murder yet.

Just for comparison, here's the final vote count of the first Free Time vote from the first game:

The first game's thread posted:

Sakura Oogami: 26
Kyouko Kirigiri: 20
Touko Fukawa: 19
Celestia Ludenberg: 12
Hifumi Yamada: 9
Chihiro Fujisaki: 8
Leon Kuwata: 7
Kiyotaka Ishimaru: 7
Mondo Oowada: 5
Aoi Asahina: 4
Byakuya Togami: 4
Yasuhiro Hagakure: 3
Junko Enoshima: 3
Sayaka Maizono: 1

That's quite the difference there.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Axle_Stukov posted:

I think we hung out with Syo once, but it amounted to just being a waste of time. So you can only get social link events when Fukawa is in charge. Unless it was just since we had never hung out with Fukawa period, we hadn't reached a scene where it needed to be Syo in charge.

If I recall, we had seen two of Fukawa's events when we tried talking to Syo, and we didn't get any special scenes with her(though the game gave us the option to give her gifts). So if there are Genocider Syo scenes, I'm not sure what's required to trigger them.

Maybe you need to make more progress with Fukawa to be able to talk to Syo, or the game doesn't let you talk to her until you've completed the game. With the reveal at the end that Syo remembered the time gap, the latter option is plausible if they didn't want to give away that twist too soon.

We'll find out for certain once their free time scenes are translated.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

frajaq posted:

I wonder if the fact that these guys are on a island will gently caress up the investigation, like, what is stopping the murderer from killing someone and throwing the body to the sea to make it impossible to investigate the body (or even hide the fact that a murder occurred and everyone freaks out searching for the missing person). Maybe Monobear will add a rule about it if someone points it out.

This is actually an interesting question. Looking back at the school rules, it looks like the rule that a murder is announced when three or more people find a dead body is still in effect.

quote:

Rule no. 9
After three people or more first discover a dead body, a "body discovery announcement" shall be broadcast across the island.

I wonder what happens when someone dies and their body isn't found? Say, for instance, that someone commits murder and hides the body. Does there need to be a school trial in order for someone to graduate, or does it happen automatically if someone is killed and their body isn't found within a certain amount of time?

The next update is sure to be interesting... Monobear calling a meeting can only mean one thing: that's he's got some new, crazy motive to unleash upon the students to drive them to murder.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

So, was Monobear supposed to be the straight man or the funny man in that routine? :confused:

I'm kind of surprised they're dropping the memory loss twist on us so soon, without the build-up the first game had. Then again, they kept kicking that particular can up until the end of the first game, when most of us had figured it out by halfway through.

The surprising part is that Monobear is blaming it on Monomi. I wonder where he's going with this...

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

orenronen posted:

Siiiigh... It’s such a relief to get that out in the open! Memory loss is so old fashioned, after all...
A cheap story would shamelessly leave that revelation hanging until the endgame! Can you imagine?! Fortunately, I’m not that cowardly.

How very self-aware of this game. Didn't Monobear drop that very revelation on us in the last game? :haw:

orenronen posted:

...You still haven’t even noticed the traitor among your ranks!
...Huh?

There are sixteen of you bastards here, right?
But, there were only supposed to be fifteen Hope’s Peak Academy students coming to this island! Isn’t that weird?

I've got it! It means one of you is a traitor, whose identity is unknown even to me!
...Or something.

Now this is interesting. If Monobear is right, then there's an extra student on the island who isn't supposed to be there. Since Monobear rarely lied outright in the first game, we can safely assume there is some truth in his words. Of course, he certainly isn't giving us the whole story, since he's trying to get the murder machine going.

Any thoughts on who this mysterious "traitor" could be? We don't have much to go on yet, but here's some thoughts.

- Togami is a possibility, since it would explain why he's back in the school even after escaping in the first game. Perhaps he inserted himself into this class in order to free it from the Despair group's control. It might also explain why he's pretending not to recognize Monobear, since the bear indicated that he doesn't know who the traitor is, and Togami might not want to blow his cover.

- Hinata is another possibility, since the reason why his memory was wiped may have been to make him believe that he was just another student at Hope's Peak, when he's actually a plant. Of course, this begs the question of why he was planted into his class to begin with.

- A third option for the identity of the "traitor" might be Nagito, because of his repeated talent of Good Luck. Assuming that these students are the same age as the first game's class, then it's a bit strange that there would be two "Good Luck" students in the same class. Of course, since Monobear mentioned that "several" years of memories were wiped, the possibility that they're an older or younger class is still on the table.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Rith posted:

Nagito's setting off some serious alarms for me: he was the first to support Togami's party idea, he was the one who suggested the lodge, he prepared those lots in advance (and held them himself, so he could presumably have rigged the draw to give himself cleaning duty). I'm not sure what he's plotting, but I'm convinced he's plotting something.

It's possible he's colluding with Togami, and he knew about the heir's plans ahead of time. After all, one (or both) of them is likely to be the traitor that Monobear mentioned, so they might be plotting something to evade discovery.

That, or Monobear has his own mole within the group, to get the murder train rolling like last time. It'd be an interesting twist if Monobear knew exactly who Togami was, and was blackmailing him into being a mole (like he did with Sakura in the first game).

(For the record, I'll be voting for Chiaki and Sonia this time, even though we don't need to announce our votes due to the poll.)

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Armanky posted:

Yes, so he can kill everybody except Kuzuryuu, who will immediately know who the culprit is and is much more experienced with murder than Hanamura.

That said, it IS entirely possible that somebody HAS poisoned the food. If Togami drops dead after chowing down just now, Hanamura would immediately be suspected for obvious reasons. I could see the first trial going down like that.

I could see this happening, too. This update ended just when Togami was about to tell us about himself. It would be a real dick move if he collapsed and keeled over just when he was about to reveal something important about Monobear and/or the Despair organization.

Of course, they could be playing with the setup. Perhaps the party goes off without a hitch, but the students leave the lodge only to find that Kuzuryuu has been murdered. Then the investigation would revolve around figuring out who could have left the lodge in the middle of the party to commit the murder (maybe the carpet's covering up a hole in the floorboards that someone could use to sneak out). Peko would probably be a suspect in this case, since she'd be the last one to see Kuzuryuu alive.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Well, that's eight people confirmed to be still alive, if we include our protagonist. Then again, the chances of Hinata getting killed so soon are pretty slim.

There's definitely something suspicious about that blackout, especially combined with the weak floorboards. It's the perfect opportunity for someone to slip out of the lodge, or for someone to slip in. This is highly speculatory, but it's possible that Kuzuryuu and Peko had some sort of arrangement where she'd knock out the lights, allowing him to sneak into the lodge. Since she went to the office where the circuit breakers are, she'd have the opportunity to have done it.

And since Kuzuryuu is a SHSL Gangster, he'd definitely have the criminal background to have learned how to pick locks(allowing him access to the case with all the weapons inside). Then again, there's still the issue of where that missing skewer went... Maybe there will be more than one murder attempt.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

A summary of notable things so far:

-A skewer is missing and Hanamura claims it was already gone when he arrived. The only person to be in here earlier was Nagito.
-Gundam dropped an earring
-The wooden floors have large cracks
-Nagito discouraged people from being around the storage room
-The bathroom is locked, potentially with someone inside
-Togami said he can't let the second case leave his sight. The lights went out for a while, so it did.
-Chaiki, Peko, and Kuzuryu are MIA. All three of them left voluntarily.
-Peko was the last person to see Kuzuryu and be in the room with the breaker / weapons
-Cameras are obviously visible in the room, so it's not a leap to say Monobear / Monomi knows this is happening.

From listening to the voice clip of what was happening during the blackout, there seem to be at least two other people out of the room besides Kuzuryuu, Peko, and Chiaki.

- One voice expressed surprise that the blackout wasn't just in the kitchen, presumably this is Hanamura, since he mentioned earlier that he was going back to get more food.

- Another voice at the end of the sequence mentioned that they were leaving to fix the circuit breakers. I'm guessing this is Souda, since it would explain why he isn't in the room when the lights come back, and his expertise as a SHSL Mechanic might include training as an electrician.

That would leave Togami, Nagito, and Mikan unaccounted for, though some of them might still be in the room offscreen. Plus there's still the question of who was in the restroom when Nidai checked it. Somehow, I get the feeling that next update Nidai will lose patience, bust down the restroom door, and find someone's body there...

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

In retrospect, most of us saw this coming. :(

The surprising part is where the body was found. I would have thought there was a body in the locked bathroom, in a call-back to the first case of the original game. Then again, there still might be one(we still don't know where Peko or Kuzuryuu are), though I don't think they'll spring a double murder on us in the first chapter.

Kytrarewn posted:

Speaking in meta-game terms (which proved fairly inaccurate last time around the DR universe), there has to be some sort of deep personal revelation about either the victim or the killer during and after the trial sequence.

That tends to suggest Nagito, especially given how the weapon was probably staged ahead of time, as he's the only one who might possibly somehow have knowledge of who Byakuya Togami was from his time prior to entering Hope's Peak Academy.

Actually... that's a good point. Didn't Nagito claim to have done research on all the students before arriving at Hope's Peak? So when Monobear brought up the possibility of a traitor, maybe he put two and two together and realized that Togami wasn't supposed to be part of their class.

If someone thought that Togami could be the traitor, that would give them a motive right there. Suddenly, I'm growing suspicious...

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Speaking of searching the crime scene... I wonder who's going to lead the investigation? There's no obvious Kirigiri-type character in the group, and pretty much everyone is a potential suspect.

That's a good question, as well. Unless Hinata is a SHSL Detective(and it's unlikely they'll have the mystery student turn out to be the detective twice in a row), then there isn't really anyone whose expertise can be put to use in investigating corpses.

Mikan is probably the closest fit, because of her medical background. Then again, she isn't the most emotionally stable person in the group, and might end up freaking out and tripping over things at the sight of a body.

Though it would be ironic if a murder is the only situation where she isn't crippled by social anxiety...

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

orenronen posted:

If we need a guard, there's someone with the perfect physique for it! Iiiiiiiit’s that person!

U...UOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

W...What the...? What happened?

Guess he’s got a delicate heart under that tough exterior...
...A...Are you sure that's really it?

Yeah, he's not going to stick around to guard the crime scene when he's got to drop the kids off at the pool. Guy's been waiting all night for the toilet to open up, after all.

With the most obvious deterrent to such shenanigans out of the way, I wonder if there's going to be some chicanery involving the crime scene in play. It'd be ironic if Togami had his own murder scene messed with, given his habit of messing with crime scenes in the previous game.

Also, it looks like everyone except Kuzuryuu showed up. I wonder if he's the one who ended up barricading himself in the bathroom? Either way, his absence seems a bit suspect.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

Erm. The motive is survival. Monobear's game is ultimately kill or be killed.

Of course, in the first game the students who killed or attempted to kill had deeper motives for their actions beyond simply "wanting to escape". For instance, the videos in the first game's opening chapter provided a motive for Maizono to attempt murder to escape, by playing on her fears of what had happened on the outside.

I could see "kill or be killed" as a motive in the later chapters after the students have seen their classmates start killing each other, but at this point, who's going to be paranoid enough to strike the first blow? What will end up pushing someone to attempt (or succeed in) murder?

For this chapter, I see two obvious "motives" in play.

1. The traitor.
- Either the traitor themselves ended up killing out of fear of being exposed, or someone else suspected another student of being the traitor and attempted to kill them out of paranoia. It remains to be seen whether Togami was the intended target, or if he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Because of the possibility of Togami being the traitor, this seems like the more plausible motive to me.

2. Monobear's claim of stolen memories, and promise to restore them.
- This seems like the weaker motive, because the idea of memory alteration would be harder to swallow than the possibility of a traitor for students unfamiliar with the way Monobear works. After all, who's actually going to believe the bear's wild fish tale about Monomi erasing their memories?

Unless, of course, Monobear planted evidence in the lodge to back up his claims(such as one of those mysterious photos that the students don't remember taking), in order to convince one of the students that the story was true. Now I'm curious as to what could be in that dusty storage room...

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

If there's a way into the crawlspace under the lodge, then it'd have to be either in the bathroom or the storage room. We haven't gotten a chance to check the bathroom yet(since it's been locked every time we went there), and Nagito seemed to be steering us away from the storage room(as if he had something to hide).

Either that, or there's a hatch under the carpet in the dining room. Maybe that's how Mikan falling over is relevant to this case; she mentioned that she tripped because her foot caught on the carpet. Maybe that's because someone moved the carpet to get under the floorboards when the power went out.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Kytrarewn posted:

This might be an overcomplication, but the earing might not be quite as important as we all think and hope here. It could easily enough be just a way to display that "Yes, the skewer can fit between the cracks in the floorboards", if Gundam used it to snag the thing. Remember that it had to be plainly visible from the top floor, and that this probably means that it wasn't all the way at the bottom of the crawlspace, so sliding a skewer (the murder weapon) between the crack to pry the thing up would be a very viable strategy.

The big question is, how did Gundam get his earring back? That will be the determining factor as to whether someone could have gotten under the floorboards or not. While the theory of someone hiding under the floorboards is plausible, it hasn't been conclusively proven yet. It's also possible that the killer hid the skewer (assuming it's the murder weapon) under the carpet, retrieved it when the lights went out, stabbed Togami with it, and dropped it through the cracks in the floor to hide it.

There's also the question of Peko's illness, since Akane also ate the food (and a lot more of it, at that) and hasn't shown any ill effects. If the food wasn't drugged, then where could it have come from? It's possible that someone managed to slip something into her plate specifically, and it's also possible she's faking it and she's involved in the murder somehow.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

I have to say, the idea of Celes being declared the sole culprit of both murders never really sat right with me. The plan may originally have been Celes' idea, but Yamada made the decision of his own free will to agree to that plan; he chose to murder Ishimaru. They were both culprits, in my view.

I think the "one true culprit" line was simply Monobear telling us that we only had to find a single culprit. Even if one of the victims had killed the other, there was still only one living culprit at the end, so that was all that mattered. If two victims had been killed by different people who were still around to graduate at the end, then the bear probably would have said something different.

Speaking of which... I wonder if the idea of two independent murders happening at the same time (with completely independent culprits) is going to come up in this game. It's unlikely, since it would take out a fourth of the cast in one fell swoop (with two victims and two executed culprits), but this series has thrown plenty of curveballs before.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Yeah, the game's definitely pointing us at Nagito now. Whether or not he actually did it, though, is still up in the air.

Though now I have to wonder about his motive. That speech that he gave us just now about hope and how none of the students could have done it is definitely very weird. I mean, even our protagonist noticed it. Plus, if Nagito really did commit the crime and intends to escape, then why is he being so helpful? A possibility has occurred to me.

Perhaps Nagito did intend to kill someone during the party - himself.

Perhaps they're showing the flip side of Naegi's role as the ordinary student amongst super-talented individuals; someone who feels like an outcast who doesn't belong at the school. After all, I recall that Nagito mentioned that the school had to twist his arm a bit to convince him to actually attend Hope's Peak. So maybe he thought the best use of his talents was to set up the knife under the table and the blackout, dive under the table, and stab himself, orchestrating his own "murder" to unite everyone else. But, of course, Togami proved to be the spanner in the works, and noticed Nagito diving under the table thanks to his night-vision goggles. That's some Super High-School Level Bad Luck, right there.

(There's also the possibility that Monobear blackmailed him into being the first killer, like he did with Sakura in the first game. Then he'd be trying for the same loophole that she did in Chapter 4 of the last game, only this time things didn't go as planned.)

Working from this theory, maybe Nagito believes that he really did kill Togami in the kerfuffle, but doesn't want to confess right off the bat because he thinks no one would actually believe him. Of course, as mentioned before, whether or not he did it is still up in the air. If there is a way to get under the floorboards, that could end up changing everything.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 22, 2013

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Krinkle posted:

I was hoping it was an impostor but it's looking more like brainwashing or that he cracked. Poor Naegi.

He's got to be an imposter. There's no way that this flake is actually the real Makoto Naegi.

At this point, I've got to say that he's either Monobear's mole, or a full-fledged agent of Despair. Perhaps this despair game was set up as damage control for the events of the first game. The Despair Organization is probably reeling from the defeat of Junko and the students' escape, since those events were likely to have been broadcast to the world. So they put a fake "Naegi" into this game of mutual killing to discredit him and whatever counter-revolution his victory may have caused against the forces of despair.

I wonder if the next update is going to feature Nagito claiming to be "Makoto Naegi, Super High-School Level Despair". That's sure to add fuel to the fires of speculation as to whether or not he's legit.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Comparing Jeek's image with this, the knife is positioned way too deeply under the table for quick retrieval. I'm still convinced it was a lure. It would take a complete idiot to lose their orientation and mental image of who's standing where in a blackout by employing a plan which forces themself to crawl under a table, then crawl back out from under a table, particularly if their plan involves "catching a panicked victim and stabbing them in a pitch dark room while you're also unable to see poo poo."

I suppose that's why the "Nagito was planning to kill himself" theory would make sense. If the plan was to get the knife and blindly stab the first person he ran into, then that would be leaving too much to chance(even for someone with Super High-School Level Good Luck). What if the lights had come back on, and Nagito was still clutching the bloody murder weapon? Then again, if Nagito has lost his marbles as badly as the last update implied, then perhaps escape wasn't really on his mind.

Of course, with the suicide theory, it's unclear whether Nagito was deliberately trying to get everyone else killed by creating an unsolvable murder, or if he honestly thought the other students would be able to figure it out.

I'm not sure if the knife was a lure planted by the "second gunman" under the floorboards, though. The lamp cord seems to point at Nagito as being responsible for that bit of evidence, unless he happened to find the knife under the table earlier and then set up the lamp cord to find it when he needed to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

SOL_Cambot posted:

Still fairly certain it's Hanamura, he kept interrupting when the Mikan was trying to raise her her objection. I mean a few characters did, but he did it three separate times and looked pretty perturbed too.

Since it's pretty clear Nagito isn't the culprit(however nutty he may be), I think the two most likely suspects are Hanamura and Peko. The most likely avenue of attack for the true culprit is from under the floorboards, so that rules out anyone who was in the dining room. Additionally, because of the fence blocking off access to underneath the cabin from outside, it probably wasn't Nanami or Kuzuryuu, either.

Everyone else has chimed in on their suspicions of Hanamura already, but the case against him appears to be that he had the opportunity to scout the cabin and find out about Nagito's murder plans, because he was preparing dinner. Because of the fire doors blocking off access to the dining room, he's the most likely culprit if there's a path under the floorboards in the storage room.

Peko isn't entirely cleared of suspicion, though. Since we now know the food wasn't drugged, and that the killer probably wasn't in the dining room, her trip to the bathroom seems to be a little too convenient. Additionally, we didn't get a chance to explore the bathroom, so we don't know whether or not there's a way under the floorboards there. Maybe she went into the bathroom so she could get under the floorboards undetected, giving herself a clear alibi. Of course, if there was a hole in the floor in the bathroom, Nidai would have said something, but something tells me he was a bit too... preoccupied to investigate too closely.

Hopefully this "suspended trial" means we get to look over the cabin one more time, paying particular attention to the bathroom(which was occupied during the investigation), and the storage room(since Nagito didn't let us investigate it too thoroughly). Maybe we'll also get a chance to ask Gundam about how he recovered his earring - the way to get under the floorboards will be the key to nailing the true culprit.

• Locked thread