Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Punk girl's hair is pretty great. Here is hoping that the character can live up to the hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hace posted:

I have know idea who this motherfucker is, but goddamn if he isn't my favorite character already.

His hair is shaped like a shrimp (because he is a chef). It isn't really all that similar to Mondo's pompadour.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Anyway, assuming that Fat Togami isn't Togami's relative, maybe he is someone who tries to imitate the real thing?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Appearances aside, the new cast doesn't seem too much like the old one.

Blandy McBlanderson- standard protagonist, might be insane.
Fat Togami- He is the one that sticks out, because weight aside he acts pretty much exactly like Togami.
Punk Oni- seems slightly ditzy, but in the contrived way which is common among japanese girls. At least she doesn't refer to herself in the third person.
Chef- dim, but cheerful.
Bandages- seems sort of weak-willed.
Sailor Moon- cutesy, likely to either be a psychopath or just horribly annoying.
LIGHTNING GOD- surprisingly intelligent but foul-mouthed and quick to anger. Perhaps a natural leader?
Glasses- totally a samurai, confident.
Bedhead Albino Naegi- probably the deep thinker here.
Tits McGee- delinquent, probably not an airhead.
Blondie- seems to be refined. Rich?

I don't really have enough to go on for Jumpsuit, Francis York Morgan, Ninja, Redhead and Backpack yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I figure Fat Ogami is going to be one of the people who dies in the first chapter. He and LIGHTNING GOD are the ones standing out the most right now, and the victim is going to have some character development before they die. As for why it isn't LIGHTNING GOD, who on earth would target him first?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They are both examples of the same character archetype. Cutesy Junko isn't any more significant than Metal Junko or Mushroom Junko.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
With so many talented people and abundant starting resources, it would be stranger if they couldn't become completely self-sufficient. Well, assuming that their supplies are never restocked.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I hope that the photographer goes the distance. Most of the others seem like they will get tiresome quickly. The punk girl's design is great, but her dialogue is just awful (not a comment on the translation). I'm not sure why the coach is constantly yelling, considering that he wasn't during the opening scene. I like him as he was initially presented, but not the big shouty idiot version. It is up in the air which aspect is prevalent, I suppose.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm guessing that Monobear will make an appearance soon and provide a murder-based alternative to collecting hope shards.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In DR1, even though everyone thought that they were new students they were actually seniors. Maybe this group (not counting Togami) are actual freshmen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sunnydere posted:

I was expecting a lot of things.

I was not expecting Mono Voltron straight out of the gate, so well played DR2. I'm also really glad to see the students band together, maybe they can still achieve friendship . . . while murdering each other a girl can dream okay.

Also, did anyone else notice Hiyoko not protesting any of this? You know she's fistpumping in the background somewhere.

She likes killing helpless animals. Considering some of the other students, she is a helpless animal compared to them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Monobear will probably add new rules as the game progresses. The specifics will almost certainly differ from DR1. I'm guessing that Monomi will eventually reclaim some of her influence on the process, though obviously not enough to get rid of the murder aspect.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

kvltmanifesto posted:

just a little thing I've been thinking about. One of the reasons some people are skeptical about Nagito and Togami being their DR1 counterparts is that they don't recognise Monobear. If you take that to it's illogical conclusion, people that do recognise Monobear are returning characters. And the only one who does recognise Monobear is Monomi. Could her controller be one of the surviving students from DR1?

Who, though? Hagakure isn't smart enough to stay in character, Togami and Syo don't care enough about other people to want them to be friendly, and Kirigiri is completely lacking in whimsy. Naegi and Asahina are simply too nice to force other people to do anything.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TKMobile posted:

Okay, something's bothering me here. I can understand apprehension to Togami being the leader (and not just because dude's all but posted a "MURDER ME" sign on his back with his posturing to protect everybody in the role of being the boss,) but ...Why the hell did Koizumi forcibly try to elect Sonia? Just cause she's a princess?

Hell, why didn't she volunteer for the job? She's proactive, clearly trying to move things along, and she didn't think to nominate herself? Gundam's a bit of an Egomaniac, but off in his own little world so I can see why he wouldn't, but is it just me or is it weird nobody else volunteered? Especially Koizumi.

She doesn't like Togami, so she nominated someone she does like who seemed to have the qualifications instead. Unless she has issues with men or fat people in general (it is really much too early to say), that is all it is.

Well, unless of course Koizumi is trying to install an incompetent leader so that she can kill someone more easily. That doesn't seem terribly likely, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The real mastermind types would never make the first kill. The whole trial process contains too many unknowns. However, that still leaves the mentally unstable and just plain dumb students.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In DR1, there were a lot of things that were obvious clues for the upcoming investigation and trial. Aside from the rule list, I haven't seen anything like that yet. Likewise, none of the individual locations have gotten much focus. To me, that implies that the first case hasn't even started being set up yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It seems safe to say that the various characters are going to break into smaller groups and form friendships. I don't know who could possibly tolerate Gundam for any extended period of time, though. Gundam makes for some good jokes, but he is sort of insufferable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I feel sort of sorry for Gundam now. Hamsters poo poo everywhere, so his clothes must be full of it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I thought everyone has the same number of scenes, though I have no idea how that works.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I have a completely original theory. Bear with me now, but I think that DR2 Togami is very similar to DR1 Togami. Obviously, no one else has ever noticed this before. Now I'm really going to blow your minds. See, Mikan and Kirigiri both wear skirts!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In the first game, everything took place in a sealed environment. There were limited opportunities to get rid of evidence and few weapons. That isn't the normally the case on the island, because anyone can dispose of evidence via the ground or sea.

However, Togami took great pains toward setting up a situation similar to the first game. Whether that was intentional or simply in order to make the tutorial case simple isn't clear.

So, let's see what the evidence list is so far.

-Locked bathroom.
-Peko is missing.
-The two cases.
-The NVG's.
-The skewer.
-The knife.
-The tape?
-The lights.
-The storage room (not relevant yet, but I'm sure it will be).

Some things that may or may not count as evidence include the state of the floor, the carpet, and the windows.

Am I missing anything?

The only two people who seem to be completely clear are Chiaki and Hinata. Hinata because he is the main character, and Chiaki because she was with Monomi the whole time. However, the people other than Chiaki who weren't present in the ballroom at the time of the blackout are definitely more suspicious. It is also possible that Chiaki's alibi will fall through somehow, but that seems unlikely as she is the one who has established that no one left the building. That's pretty much the basis for the entire investigation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
My guess is that Togami was stabbed elsewhere, and then crawled under the table. One last bout of corpse-moving, for old time's sake.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jeek posted:

You know, I am surprised that Hanamura didn't say a word at the fanservice scene. Was he not there for some reason?

Moreover, this bit from the previous update is suspicious:

It seems to be Hanamura speaking, and if that sentence is true, he was in the kitchen at the start of the blackout and felt his way back into the hall. In that case, his silence/absence during the scene is really suspicious since he has no reason to walk away again and he is not the one to keep his mouth shut at such things.

That said, I am leaning towards Nagito or Hanamura as the culprit. Both have access to the lodge before the party starts and lots of time to set up.

Hanamura would have been quiet in hopes that he could find someone in the dark to cop a feel from. He ain't picky, so anyone would have worked.

I very much doubt that Hanamura is one who kicked off all the killing to come. First, he is heavily in denial about most of the situation. Second, he thinks he can get laid.

Now that someone is dead, sure, he could easily become a killer. But he didn't kill Togami.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It was rather surprising that Hanamura stopped panicking and stepped up to help. I guess character growth might be coming a bit more quickly than in DR1.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, Togami had a wide variety of non-lethal defense items. He was standing next to the case just before the blackout. In other words, Togami was doing just as he said he would, and tried to prevent any murders.

The knife was already under the table, and the skewer could have been used from beneath the floor. There does not seem to be any access to the area beneath the floor in that room. Togami was obviously killed where he was found.

If Gundam had used the lovely floor to kill Togami, he wouldn't call attention to it with his childish obsession over losing an earring. So, the earring itself isn't relevant aside from adding the floor gap bullet to the list.

The role of the lamp is also very obvious. It certainly isn't needed to illuminate the room, and it doesn't need a table all to itself. Therefore, it was used in combination with the AC to cause the blackout. However, this raises a very serious question- how could anyone know exactly what was needed to cause a blackout there? Turning on the AC by itself wasn't enough- they also needed the lamp. In other words, whoever set up the blackout had an opportunity to test the limits of the wiring there before the party.

So if the table is only used to hold the lamp, the lamp is only used to cause a blackout, and the blackout was used to access the hidden knife that means whoever placed that table is the killer. That would imply Nagito, but I'm not sure how to reconcile that with the fact that he was already in the room when the blackout occurred and the use of the skewer. Why would someone set up a knife and a skewer, when either would be sufficient? I suspect that Nagito set up the room to murder someone, but someone else beat him to it. Anyone else could have entered the lodge while Nagito was out, but they couldn't have placed the table and lamp.

Next is the leftmost window. I'm not sure if it is intentional or a matter of perspective, but the bolts were clearly arranged differently in the picture compared to how they are now. The bolts haven't been seen elsewhere on the island and no one knew their significance, so that might still come up. It seems a bit weak, though.

Finally, Mikan. I tried checking the objects around her against the photos, but the crotch plate and water bottle seemed to be on the table next to her and it appears that there were copies of the other plate on every table. That leaves the wine glass and sausages, neither of which are visible on the tables. I really have no idea what significance that bullet has.

Ultimately, while there are still several suspects the real question is how Togami was lured to his death. It is clear how he reached the table (NVGs), but not why he would have done so. It may not have been a trap for him in particular, but what was the lure? The answer to this is likely to be found in one of the other rooms.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Regardless of how this turns out, I think it would be interesting if they had to live with someone who attempted a murder but failed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
One thing to note is that the only person who has spoken with Kuzuryuu lately is Peko. I hesitate to say that she is the murderer this early, but she was absent from the party and is the only person who has really interacted with another person who was absent. That seems terribly suspicious.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

I dunno why some people are saying you need Souda's kind of knowledge to cause that black-out. You definitely don't need to know how something works to be able to break it.

He is the only one who could cause the blackout without some initial trial and error. That doesn't necessarily mean it was him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm trying to figure out if anyone aside from Togami has really stood out this chapter. Free time doesn't count, obviously. Aside from Leon, the murderer and victims in DR1 received a lot of focus in the chapter up to the time of the murder. Granted, they weren't the only ones but this was so that the trial could build on the rest of the chapter. So, let's see what we have.

Mikan- the unsettling MOE MOE MOE clumsy girl scenes. Might have just been fanservice, but why the hell is that scene an evidence bullet?
Hanamura- the party is about food, he provided the food. Not much to go on here.
Peko- volunteered to approach Kuzuryuu and guard the case. Suspicious, but well within the bounds of her character.
Nagito- he has been present for most of the game, but is enigmatic. Had the best chance to set up the blackout and knife. Probably not going to die before we find out whatever big secrets he has, if any.

Everyone else has pretty much just reacted to events and spouted a few character-establishing lines. This includes Kuzuryuu, who established himself as a dick and hasn't appeared since. I do believe that he will be relevant to the case, but probably not the as killer because he hasn't even been around.

I've mostly moved past the actual process of the murder until we get more evidence. There isn't enough to go on in-game, so that leaves the meta-game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Actually, the skewer might have been used in the ballroom. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes for someone to be able to stab Togami so many times using a tiny gap while on their back with no light. Once, sure. Repeatedly, not so much. The skewer seems much more likely to have been disposed of using the floorboards. That still leaves the matter of how Togami was lured under the table, where the skewer came from and how the murderer avoided blood spatter.

So if the skewer is the primary murder weapon, what is the point of the knife? The most obvious answer is that it is being used to cast suspicion on someone else. The specifics on who and how aren't clear yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nagito: "Here are some irons that were used to create a blackout. Now, ignore the blood-soaked tablecloth."

I'm not sure if he is the murderer, but he certainly seems to have an agenda.

Keep in mind that this is still the tutorial trial, though. It isn't as insultingly simple as having the murderer's name written in blood, but it isn't necessary to overthink it either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure why the fire door would close during a blackout, but that is probably what it did. Why else would a door be a piece of evidence? In other words, during the blackout the kitchen wasn't accessible from the ballroom. This seems sort of odd, as that would mean Hanamura lied but also that he could not have been the murderer barring crawlspace shenanigans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

lotus circle posted:

I gave an explanation for this earlier on that I think seems reasonable. The explanation being that only Peko's food was tainted. She took a portion and went off on her own. Akane took the food straight from the buffet table. If Hanamura tainted the entire buffet table then it would become quickly obvious that he did something to it. Poisoning only Peko works for three reasons.

1) She would be out of commission and was the only one by herself. A singular incident of food poisoning wouldn't be enough to pin something on Hanamura, whereas everyone getting food poisoning would be quickly suspicious considering the chef is a SHSL Cook.

2) She's one of the three strongest in the group (Nidai and Akane being the other two) and is clearly more focused and stoic compared to Nidai and Akane.

The most important reason is the third.

3) She was in the room where the breakers were. If the blackout happened while she was in the room, she would be able to quickly flip the switch on and put an end to it. The culprit's plans would be ruined before they could even begin. She had to be removed from the room before the blackout occurred and what better way to do that then force her to abandon her post?

E: Rereading the update where Peko left, it does seem like she took food from the buffet however. I still stand by the food being tainted by Hanamura in some manner. Peko being absent from the room during the blackout was necessary for the plan to work. Only Hanamura, who had access to the food beforehand, could taint it so that she wouldn't be in the office when everything went down.

You seem to be forgetting something. Peko volunteered. It was her idea to guard the case, and her idea to take a plate of food. No one intentionally poisoned her food only. The only person who could have planned that she would be absent from the office is Peko herself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is just a matter of Japan being Japan. Acknowledging that (anime) girls defecate is forbidden.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Of course he got inside. Do you really think Monobear would leave a building standing that he couldn't enter and exit freely?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Monobear is a remotely controlled robot bear who might have become sentient after Junko died. Monobear performs wildly improbable if not impossible executions. Monobear has 4 giant robot animals which are armed to the teeth.

Monobear is very much exempt from logic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hmm, so we will learn about the crawlspace from Gundam's testimony, and the bathroom from Nidai. Hanamura couldn't have moved from the kitchen to the ballroom when he said he did, Togami was killed by a skewer, and Hanamura was the one who claimed that there was never a full set of skewers. The investigation of the storage room was cut short, but a bloody sheet was found there. While Hanamura didn't have access to the ballroom during the blackout, he was also the only person with access to the storage room. I'm not sure exactly how Togami was lured under the table, but the case seems pretty clear now. The significance of the bathroom and Mikan's crotch shot evidence bullet are also unclear.

Hanamura set up a blackout. During the blackout, he went into the storage room and under the floor with a skewer and a tablecloth. Hanamura was heard in the ballroom during the blackout, when he could not have been in the ballroom. Togami went under the table, and was stabbed by Hanamura from beneath the floor. The skewer was the only weapon used. Hanamura used the tablecloth to avoid getting blood on himself. He immediately went back to the storage room and disposed of the tablecloth.

I guess Hanamura had to go, or else things would have gotten kind of creepy with Akane.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Disposing of the skewer isn't as important as not being linked to it. The killer could have left it anywhere, so long as it didn't point to them. And yes, Gundam is an idiot who actively ignored a murder and his own impending death in order to retrieve an earring. I'm not sure he would have noticed a bloody skewer if someone hit him over the head with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even if the doors could be opened, Hanamura couldn't have made it from the kitchen to the ballroom in the dark by following the wall. That is the only provable lie anyone has told thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think that someone will accuse Kuzuryuu, and some more evidence will come up while that is being disproved. That was usually how dr1 went.

• Locked thread