Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Okay, left to right we have Junko's sweeter younger sister, Celes and Leon's daughter, morbidly obese Togami, scarfed ninja, Naegi and Kirigi's daughter, punk sanitation worker, redhead camera girl, blonde Ishimaru, nurse Sayaka, Asahina letting her hair down, Chihiro's sherbert kimono sister, super saiyan Naegi, chef, Togami and Fukawa's daughter, and finally the combined genes of Sakura, Leon, and Oowada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

Time to guess what SHSL types they are:

Not sure where you're getting nurse from.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bow in the hair girl and/or bandage girl are the first to go, calling it now.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Kringlorr posted:

I'm calling some 'I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream' shenanigans. Someones cloning together the old characters to despair them for eternity. Did Alter Ego actually die in the last game?

There was a whole bunch of 'he used his last ounce of strength to save you Naegi', but nothing really definite.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Thanqol posted:

Is it possible to get higher resolution pictures of the characters? I'd kind of like to get a closer look at some of the details on their designs.

We probably will get some quality portraits once we get to the formal introductions. We still don't even know any of their names!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sudonim posted:

EDIT: Holy drat, the lolspeak banned guy had been here nearly a year, you think he would have figured the place out by now.

He'd also been banned multiple times for the same poo poo, so it's not like he was learning his lesson.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Slash_Prower posted:

I like how they took one of the most attractive male characters of the last game and made him incredibly fat for the sequel.

R.I.P. Togami's old design.

It will be missed.

Try not to image leech next time.

I'm wondering if the bandaged girl is going to be the crazy one. She's just seemed off from the few interactions we've had with her.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

alcharagia posted:

It's Makoto Naegi!'s hair is wonderful and I love it.

On a fanart note, a lurker friend of mine urged me to post this thing he made.

Tell him to register an account so we can laugh at him directly instead of by proxy.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jesus christ.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

And amnesia manages to return as a major plot device within three updates of the sequel.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Super High-School Level Luck?
Same VA?

I'm not convinced. :colbert:

Unless it turns out that they have different birthdays or something? I didn't bother looking it up.

Keep in mind that according to him there's a SHSL luck every single year, so it's not like Naegi is a super special snowflake.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Since the first game was all about subverting tons of cliches in these kinds of games, I'm wondering if this sequels going to try and reintroduce them or innovate them in some way.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Didn't they have a similar thing in the first game, "you can't kill more than 2 at a time" was it? In any case one of those rules that sounded like a massive hint but never actually became anything.

There was the rule about not going into the cafeteria after dark which never developed into anything.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I don't know, Souda seems like he's mild enough to slide by for a little while without drawing too much attention and getting killed. Sort of like Hagakure and Aoi in the first one; kind of boring at first but getting some nice character development over the course of the game.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tarranon posted:

Fedule, I love the work you're doing with this, and absolutely respect the dedication you and Oren have put into this let's play.

Which is why it kills me to be a party pooper and complain that I find your personal commentary running through the actual LP posts (not your editorial postscripts which are tons of fun to read) to be a little much. It's not that I hate the content of your commentary or think it's stupid, but it pulls me out of the flow in a way that Oren's more conservative commentary doesn't and I can't honestly say I believe it adds much. Oren will make personal remarks every now and then, but they're rarer, and with two people making them it just feels a bit like too many cooks in the kitchen.

Just this humble content leecher's opinion :shobon:

Regardless, thanks again for the work you're doing on this.

I actually totally agree with you. I think Fedule's translation notes are really interesting, but the mid-update lines of "Woah, what's going on here!?" seem really jarring and out of place.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Now that's out of the way, that novel chapter is kind of uncomfortable to read. I love this boy who is abusive towards me!

I had this same reaction too, but if my knowledge of amnesiac plots in novels is any good, there's definitely some awful thing that happened like him causing her amnesia which would make her hate his guts if she could only remember what it was. Since he feels so guilty about it he's trying to make her hate him anyway, despite him caring for her deep down.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SingerOfW posted:

Speaking of the interactions between SHSL ??? and SHSL Neurologist, I suppose that her love for him took roots before she had her condition, and it's so strong that it is one of the few things she never forgets (after all, it's more about the emotion than knowledge). SHSL Neurologist, however, constantly tests her memory by acting contrary to her few long-term memories: as long as she keeps being friendly with him despite his constant harassment, he knows that there are some things that even she won't forget. Or he could just be a male tsundere character, but that would be way too boring.

And I gotta love that stylish arrow scalpel on the illustration.

Actually, the way her case of amnesia works, up until a point in her past, usually some sort of injury that caused brain damage, she can remember things perfectly well. It's only after that point that she can't remember events. So she can remember he childhood and early years, but nothing after whatever caused her to be the way she is.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Man, Mikan's schtick gets annoying fast. At least Ibuki's more interesting, although I'm starting to get nervous that DR2 decided to go with the "woah can you believe how WACKY everyone on this island is?" approach. So far the only character that actually seems like more than a 2D caricature is the mechanic dude, although I'm sure Gundam will get some development later.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

likecnsnnts posted:

The level of knee-jerk in these reactions is incredible. Like none of you read the first LP. Like none of these characters are going to develop in surprising ways.

Maybe ~*quit posting*~ about how you hope these annoying characters die until you've seen more than one scene of dialogue.

It's more that three of the four characters we've met so far have been crazy to the point of absurdity. Nobody in DR1 was this ridiculous right off the bat; part of what made them good characters was because they were 'mostly' believable. Sure Yamada was super goony but if you were one of the top doujin writers in Japan you'd probably act that way too. Chihiro was apologetic and meek but he was really quiet at the same time, unlike nurse girl here who talks a ton in between miniature meltdowns. Fukawa was absurd but to be honest I disliked Fukawa for more or less the whole game (Syo notwithstanding). I just hope the next few characters we meet are actually characters instead of running gag machines.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

If you're willing to trade longer updates for longer waits, maybe just wait a month and read it all at once.

Yeah but then you'd have to go through the dozens of pages of boring painful speculation.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Hahaha I assume the Home Alone reference was localized, right? Or is that movie as big in Japan as it is over here?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Medieval Medic posted:

Man, if only programing was as mechanic and thoughtless as riding a bike.

If you're programming the same thing you already programmed it seems a little more like rote memory.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

slam5000 posted:

You're not a programmer are you...
OK, well, programming is definitely a task which you can learn techniques for doing things, and learn to be more efficient over time, but in no way could something really be rote memory just cause you've done it in the past. I've written thousands upon thousands of lines of code, and I still find myself referencing old projects to remember how I did something the last time I needed to accomplish a similar thing. That however could very well be quite different for a Super Highschool Level Hacker... But I feel like her memory getting wiped, and her reprogramming it using procedural memory is a little out there to say the least.

It's the difference between writing similar or even same lines of code for a different project and say, rewriting a novel you already wrote. How many times have you had to re-write the exact same program multiple times?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sasshole posted:

Look guys, I really don't want to put down your translation skills but I have an extremely hard time believing that "retard" was your only translation for "boke".

It's a) really out of place/out of character (and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one getting that impression), and b) offensive as well.

I really hope something is done about it, I don't think it's necessary or a good translation choice, and I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by it.

PS - Sorry if I sound angry, I'm not trying to be rude here even though I honestly am irritated about it. You guys are doing a great job overall!

I'm glad you think that it's out of character for the character we have literally just been introduced to, and that you think his insult is (gasp) offensive. Unlike most insults.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sasshole posted:

I'm going to reiterate someone else's previous statement that "retard" seems more of a childish/frat boy-esque colloquialism. There are numerous words that can be used as an alternative and I'm sure picking up a thesaurus to find said alternatives isn't too hard!

Wow, it's almost like he is a literal child in high school.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

As well drawn as that is it's still showing off like half the girls in underwear or less and is super creepy.

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 26, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Author-Man posted:

This is the stupidest argument.

100000x this, he's a comedic character like Yamada that people are getting so worked up that it's absolutely insane. He makes sexual jokes a lot and hits on girls. We don't need the brigade of white knights charging in to save Sonia.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dragoon Cody posted:

You honestly think that's what this is about? That a brigade of white knights are here to save Sonia? Here's what happened: Hanamura got introduced, people said "I don't like him" other people said "why's that", first people said "because he's creepy". There is no grand conspiracy to derail a thread (talking about the newly introduced characters is entirely on track and back-and-forth discussion is being had), or to white knight Sonia (she's a fictional character and "white knight" accusations are about defending a girl so she'll notice you). There's just good old fashioned talking about the new characters, with some of those that disagree with the "Hanamura is creepy" talk apparently deciding to shout down the others as "ridiculous" and "insane".

I don't think the mods need people to be backseat modding on what's allowed to be discussed here (actually it's against the forum rules) - when they want to shut down a topic they'll do it themselves.

You give the thread way more credit than it deserves. What we actually had was people immediately calling for Hanamura to be the first one kiiled off or people wishing they could do it themselves after one conversation with him. It's pretty clear that he talks a big game but is not nearly as predatory as everyone seems to believe; if he were we'd see him going for the more passive girls like Chiaki and nurse lady (ironically the two most sexualized girls in that video posted before the update). He's not a pretty playboy, he's a dwarf with a shrimp of hair on his head. If at any point in the entire game he sexually abuses one of the girls I will gladly eat my words and apologize, but it seems obvious that he's being set up as a running gag of 'the unattractive chef is the biggest horndog around'.

As for backseat modding I'm not pretending to say what is and isn't allowed to be discussed, but after five pages of the same conversation it's pretty obvious we're not getting anything new out of it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Flat out started laughing when the game told us she's a gymnast, but still at least she's not outright annoying like some of the others. Probably end up being either a Leon and the first to go or a sleeper favorite like Hakagure.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Let's Read Into and Over Analyze Absolutely Everything the OP Says with Super Dangan Ronpa 2

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Instead of clothing being used to accentuate the body, the body is used as a stand to display the cloth? That's pretty damned interesting

It's been kinda mod approved, so if you have more factoids about traditional Japanese garb, I know I'd want to read more at the very least

It's not that abnormal. Think of the outfits European kings and queens wore. They were almost always more about the cloth and expensiveness of the garment than about the actual person underneath.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

There aren't enough :stare: in the world to fully summarize this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Don't think there's anything wrong with it per se, but the bear and the rabbit for oren and fedule was more fitting.

Well all of Oren's notes in the LP are marked with a little Monobear so it makes more sense.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SaitoBatch posted:

I never did get why the cafeteria was off limits in the first game. I guess maybe that when Monobear ate so it was closed off so no one could figure out who it was. Either that or too many easily grabbed murder weapons. But then the question comes up, since Monobear wanted people to kill, why close off such easily grabbed weapons?

It was only closed off at night, people still could (and maizano in fact did) grab a kitchen knife from there during the day time.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Chef, fat togami, and coach are keeping up a neck to neck race for best character award.

Between the hope shards, tamogachi simulator, and now hidden mono statues, I wonder how much more bonus content they have in store for us?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Well, thank god we have a SHSL mechanic!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Miss Kalle posted:

I'm more concerned about Not-Naegi's death flags right now. :v:

Nidai would be the most excellent fit at TFLC. Dead fitness log? NOT ON HIS GODDAMN WATCH.

That might not be so much a death flag as it is the developers continuing to stress how alike he is to Naegi from the last game.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Togami and Teruteru

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

NeuroticLich posted:

Poor Tsumiki, I'm pretty sure all three votes for her were pity votes.

I'm sure people will warm up to her once she stops being such a one-note (and frankly annoying) character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Season 2 of the TV show Alphas had a character exactly like this. She could pick up any skill instantly just by observing it.

Which itself was ripped off from season 2 of the TV show Heroes. :pseudo:

• Locked thread