Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Treuan posted:

So, this is a bit off from the current discussion, but back to Hinata walking in the door. He was obviously outside the room, right? Shouldn't that mean he saw the beach outside?

Considering the sort-of-conceit with the digital effects:

I'm thinking, no, Hinata did not see the beach, and him 'entering' the room is much less a physical activity and more of a metaphorical one.

Honestly, while slowbeef was quashing the computer simulation speculation, it's very apparent that we are further from reality than last game in some respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm sorry if that's harsh, and I don't mean it as an attack on anyone in particular, I'm just enjoying this LP so far and the care that's very obviously going into it and all the bitching that feels like it amounts to "GOD SAVE THE GLORIOUS NIPPONESE!" bugs me. If slowbeef feels I'm speaking out of turn, I'll gladly accept a probation in support of my statements.

No, this is appropriate. Less is always more. It's a better reading experience when you can read the characters as you wish, rather than being told how they are reading.

I think the long translation discussions confuse readers into thinking they are actually missing content.

Honestly, I think the best way to handle these kind of posts is to put them far after the corresponding updates. Any translations I have read put their notes/philosophies at the end/beginning, but not interlinear, or mixed in with the normal pages. Right now, Oren and Fedule, you guys are giving us 1:1 points of comparisons with the updates still fresh in our minds. More people are going to quibble when it is presented like that.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
The level of knee-jerk in these reactions is incredible. Like none of you read the first LP. Like none of these characters are going to develop in surprising ways.

Maybe ~*quit posting*~ about how you hope these annoying characters die until you've seen more than one scene of dialogue.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Duchess Shrimp posted:

PS: FighterKnuckles, that is the best Naegi avatar I have seen!

I follow HelloWinter on tumblr, and she said she made it for them, actually, which explains the awesomeness.

:ssh: I am using it on another forum myself.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
It isn't as though this isn't 100% factual. This is one of the few applications where this chat isn't creepy.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

psychoticBacofoil posted:

Does anyone else think it's ironic how the moment Hinata decides to go with this whole thing and stop being so suspicious that suddenly Monobear shows up and decides to ruin everything?

I do believe that is the textbook definition of the word, yes.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Seshoho Cian posted:

I made a gang tag that I feel accurately represents the posters in this thread.

(this is just a joke please don't get mad)

OH MAN I want this and I haven't even shitposted yet.

Uh... What up, Ronpers? That last update sure was kawaii huh?

Monobear posted:

We have to respond to society's needs, you know! No one wants to see a bunch of high-school students enjoy peaceful, quiet days in paradise! No. What everyone wants is...

Crytpic. Is this another broadcast like last time? Or is Monobear just playing with the fourth wall again?

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

orenronen posted:

Soon, I found something near the root of a nearby tree. It was a notebook. On its front page was written, “Ryouko Otonashi’s Memory Notebook”.

Wait, huh? Why is my notebook here?

Then, as I considered that question and was about to go and pick the notebook up...

Seems like they're going to replace her legit memory notebook with this faux one to enact their own ends. Pretty devious. But I love it as a narrative device.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

:ssh: pssst don't hotlink it's probatable and we're in probation country.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
In that opening, I saw a countdown timer on a circular object (bomb?), a splatter of blood for Nagito where others had totally innocent stars and such, and a giant army of Monobears. Amazing.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Joenen posted:

The person voicing monomi is more than likely the same person voicing monobear. If I remember correctly, you never hear them speaking at the same time. Besides, instead of operating Usami, there are a billion better ways to prepare a counter-strike against monobear.

Its likely the mastermind putting on a show. It had excellent results.

I was all ready to copy paste who Monomi's voice actress was from Update 2 until I realized that you meant you think the same person is controlling both Monomi and Monobear, which is actually interesting, if largely baseless at this point.

Considering the ends Monomi was used to achieve, it's not necessarily far-fetched. Though I don't think it's the answer.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Frost Uncle posted:

I usually hate awful fan nicknames but everyone saying "Fat Togami" is making me laugh pretty hard.

How is that even a nickname. It's his name with a descriptive adjective.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Fedule posted:

I'm not sure what you think "fourth wall breaking" is but it's not this.

The vast majority of goons in this thread are like Tropers but Less Accurate.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Togami and a pity vote for klutzy nurse.

I need to learn the secret of his rise to fatness.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Think we can call the voting yet? This is insane.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If there's one thing the developers are, it's imaginative. Having Junko return to be the villain again in DR2 would not be imaginative.

I don't know. She seems to be the series' ubiquitous supervillian at this time. I wouldn't be shocked if she showed up again.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

slowbeef posted:

What a loving loser you are.

Ah, so the levels of moderation go Probation -> Ban -> Public Shame

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

IceMateria posted:

Oren, would it be considered a spoiler to make a post with information from -snip-?

Are you high?

likecnsnnts fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 26, 2013

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

i300 posted:

It's pretty ironic that she's a SHSL analyst yet she can't remember a drat thing. It's pretty clever writing, actually.

It also gives Junko motivation to steal/influence her memories/data.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
I warned you about thread theories, bro.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

BioEnchanted posted:

My Theory: Nidai is a coach first and foremost, High School Student last.

Great theory. Good use of concrete evidence and deductions without baseless speculation leaps! :thumbsup:

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Can we chill on this derail? Everyone's theories are currently stupid because there is no evidence for anything yet! Slowbeef has repeated this how many times? Stop posting.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Oren and Fedule,

Do you guys have 2-3 free time translations prepared for every character in advance, or do you do them on the fly once the votes are decided?

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
These free time events are just fascinating. I remember them in DR1 being played for comedy, but I'm learning all sorts of things this time around. And gosh is Togami teasing us with what he may or may not know.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
It would be best if the loop alternated between zoomed-out and zoomed-in for extra intensity.

Though the one ThisIsACoolGuy made is too big, anyway.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
So immediately suspicious is Pekoyama, since she was guarding the circuit breaker, which the game made sure to mention. She had to have been compromised. (removed because I seem to have made up some dialogue in a fever dream :tinfoil:). Would the game throw something at us with multiple accomplices before the accomplice rule has been made? Or is this a training exercise of Togami's design to get them thinking critically and remaining on guard?

Finally, if Portal 2 has taught me anything about game design, it's that you make players follow sources of light to guide them through puzzles. I am immediately suspicious of that loving bone on the comically large piece of meat. Is it really gonna end up being a bludgeoning weapon?

likecnsnnts fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 20, 2013

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
edit: Missed a whole extra page.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
This isn't a workshop. Just read the drat text.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
There are several clear things happening here:

First off:

That is not a blood pattern consistent with stabbing someone. That's not the murder weapon, as we're probably all thinking. In fact, if anything, it was probably something Togami stashed there himself, seeing as how he's got a whole shitload of defense items hoarded. He probably also wanted an 'offensive' item just in case, in only a place he could access it.

Secondly, it seems as though the game is trying to cast suspicion on Gundam, seeing as how most of our theories (I'll admit I only skim after the first 100 or so posts after an update) involve Togami being stabbed through the floorboards-- Gundam losing his earring down there would potentially place him under the floor.

But that would force Togami to have been laying on his belly under the table when he was killed.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The knife has no blood on the back of the blade except for splashes. It has tons of blood on the front of the blade, with dribble marks up to the back. I would expect a knife used for stabbing to have both sides of the blade equally bloody. If the thumbnail drawing of the knife is significant (and note that it isn't up for very long*), then that knife has been used for hacking or slicing something, not for stabbing.

e: Parenthetical is there to mean "it's very likely that something seen so briefly should not be overanalyzed".

This was my thinking, but I got a :smuggo: response about artist rendering and anime etc. But all this means is that the knife wasn't used to stab Togami, and was probably covered in the blood afterwards.

It's not an important point, though. I'm sure Hinata will figure this poo poo out next update.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
I didn't want to admit the under-the-boards thing either, but seeing Gundam with his earring...

slowbeef posted:

Gas range means pipes. Maybe you can get under the lodge from the kitchen.

edit: Eh, nah. It's gotta be the bathroom.

I've had a moment of clarity now that you've reminded me about Hanamura's ability to control some of the electricity:

The game made a point this update to highlight the cord to the wall by the storage room. The storage room we weren't allowed to investigate properly. The storage room that had a blood-covered sheet in it. The storage room that is right next to the kitchen.

Why does that matter?

Because the fire doors (I had to research this, but Wikipedia writes "If the power fails or the fire alarm is activated, the coil is de-energized and the door closes on its own."), which are controlled by electro-magnets, separate the kitchen and storage room from the rest of the lodge.

When the power died, the fire doors shut, cutting access to the party room to Hanamura. But we hear his voice during the blackout when it shouldn't have otherwise been there.

This is a screenshot from directly after the power is restored-- and Hanamura isn't present despite us hearing him during the blackout. The next time we see him is during the investigation proper, after we've left the lodge and everything.

This means 1 of 2 things: Hanamura was not in the kitchen when the blackout happened, and thus had access to the party room; or Hanamura was under the floorboards and spoke up during the blackout to make us think he was there.

I think the storage room is Hanamura's point of entry to get under the floor, not the bathroom.

likecnsnnts fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 9, 2013

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
DR0 is slowly grating on me. The editor in me wants to cut half the extraneous dialogue and text, collect it into a dense word ball and then pelt the author(s) with it. The conversations are so circular, the prose is so redundant, if a character has a trait that is the only trait they have and you better believe it's going to come up seven times in one chapter.

Was this written before/during/after DR1?

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

doomfunk posted:

e: If it helps, my commentary on any and all goon art is intended as critique, not criticism, just in case that doesn't translate well.

I imagine most of us who didn't J4G have seen your work and know that you're always droppin' knowledge and not criticism.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
I like that despite Junko's crazy overpoweredness, someone still has the drop on her, quite literally stealing her kills. It is the only source of tension in this novel right now, though.

The Amnesiac is really just wandering about with no sense of purpose (how can she, though?), and all of her sections inevitably circle back around to forgetting everything but her crush on Brain-dude. All the others who are investigating the Despair Incident are getting killed or attacked, so no headway there.

I'm a bit lost in narrative time, though. Probably because of the staggered release of the chapters. Is this happening on consecutive nights, or the same night?

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

eating only apples posted:

Is this novel actually important to DR2? Because frankly it's so poorly written that lately I'm skipping over it. I mean, the game isn't well-written either so far but at least it's got pretty pictures to keep my attention. It's nothing to do with your translation, oren, that's always been excellent in the first game. I might be alone but my eyes glaze over after a minute or two of the novel.

I think we're slowly reaching that consensus. I'm still soldiering through it, though.

And I don't want to keep harping on it or anything, but--

DR0 posted:

“He should be here soon,” she whispered.

The girl was waiting for someone.

:monocle:

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Nidai is the only person in a creepy game in a creepy thread who can have the totally milquetoast reaction of "Oh, okay, well why didn't you say it was just poo poo?" and have it feel genuine. He's the best.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
I agree, the trial videos are bitchin.

Hey Oren, any way we can get an uncut trials video at the beginning of the update? Or at least all of the links all at once? I don't have much use for the screenies when there's subbed videos.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
It's astounding how we had like 34 pages of speculation, and yet so many goons are suddenly throwing away all the obvious evidence and claiming that Nagito did it, all because he was standing next to the lamp.

Have we not already proven the knife is not the murder weapon? We know the precise size of Togami's stab wounds, and they're skewer-sized. The blood pattern on the knife is also inconsistent with being used to stab someone 8-9 times.

Stick to your crazy, baseless guns, dudes.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

curiousCat posted:

I wonder if it could possibly have been an accident. The skewer accidentally killed Togami.

The skewer accidentally stabbed Togami 8 times in his abdomen and throat?

tonberrytoby posted:

We never had anything on anybody.
Peko was obviously being setup as soon as we saw the air-conditioners.
So the only suspects were Nagito and the mechanic when they started acting suspicious during the investigation.

Which thread are you reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

thelarue posted:

Man, my anime-character archetype senses are never wrong.

Sorry you got a poo poo super-power, bro.

• Locked thread