Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

BliShem posted:

My speculation is that Naegi is also the Mastermind - at least behind bringing the kids to the island. He's SHSL Hope, and Usami keeps drilling the idea of this being a trip to raise the hope of the students.

After what he went through, I doubt Naegi would want to subject another class to an involuntary imprisonment, even a supposedly utopic one. I don't want to suggest "evil twin" but from the little information we have so far, it seems more like some kind of perversion of reality, or an alternate universe, where the events of DR1 caused a great deal of trauma on the survivors (as evidenced by Togami's weight and Nagito's hair). On the other hand, there's still the strange comment made by Nagito about them killing each other, which suggests that if not the mastermind, he's still involved in some form or another (poo poo, even the word Nagito sounds like a pseudonym when you say it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I wouldn't be surprised if Mikan and Fukawa were related, given how similar their personalities seem to be. Maybe Mikan even gets her hair done by a certain Genocider? ;)

With the whole "liking toilets" thing, I see that one of two ways, both of which play into her social anxiety. First, she could be bulemic. This would be rather ironic, given her SHSL talent, but hey. Second, she could just appreciate the solitude that the toilet provides. Everyone's spent time in the bathroom reading, texting, or what have you; it's possible she likes to be there because it's a rare opportunity for her to be alone.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Spatula City posted:

I bet they don't get to leave the island until EVERYONE gets their 90 shards. poo poo, I am not good at the maths. How many interactions would have to occur for everyone to leave the island if this turns out to be the case?

Sixteen students, each one must meet every other student six times. That works out to

code:
6 x (15 + 14 + 13 + ... + 3 + 2 + 1)
which is... 720 meetings, assuming they meet only in pairs. So, not entirely unreasonable.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

darealkooky posted:

Is "Peko Pekoyama" supposed to sound a little silly, or is that just something lost in translation?

It's onomatopoeia. "Peko peko" is apparently a way for children to say "I'm hungry," according to Google.

I'm curious what kind of incentives for murder there will be this time around (in DR1 there were the secrets, the money, etc.) If one of them is "no internet" you bet Miss SHSL Gamer will drop someone in a heartbeat!

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 24, 2012

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Is everybody with the name Hanamura some kind of pervert?

I was actually wondering this as well. Yosuke from Persona 4 wasn't this... extreme, but he was still painful and annoying at times (OK, most of the time). Is there something about the name Hanamura that implies sexual predation?

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Another small typo:

orenronen posted:

So... could this island we're currently on be...
Jabberwock Island...?
Is that what's this island is called?

IT BEGINS :supaburn:

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Gundam and Kuzuryuu interest me the most.

One thing that stood out to me as odd is that the new Usami is still a Monomi, despite the fact we only saw Monobear redesign the original (and blow it to bits). It's probably just a concession for the game story, though.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Glazius posted:

Sixteen kids, one of whom shouldn't be there, and you don't know who it is?

Monobear, you're a pretty poo poo headmaster if you can't even recognize your own students.

Unless the sixteenth is a student of Hope's Peak Academy but wasn't supposed to come.

But... why would you take fifteen kids, fly them to a desert island, wipe their memories, and then say "let's all be friends!" I could kind of understand if this was like the Hope's Peak equivalent of extreme behavioral intervention. Everyone does seem a little prickly in their own way, except maybe for Sonia.

Assuming Monobear is even telling the truth about there being a traitor in the group, why would he reveal their identity right away? The most likely outcome would be his ally getting killed, giving him an early murder trial but losing one of his tools. Much better to make the students suspicious of each other, giving rise to fear, paranoia, and yes, despair.

njsykora posted:

Kanji is terrifying however.

Hey now, he's pretty cool once you get to know him!

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

"Frienship" :engleft: You're quick!

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

That investigation song is extremely awesome, Gundam was amazing in this update, and yet... god dammit Dangan Ronpa 2! How could that possibly be relevant to the case at hand?!

The start of the song was worrisome, but once the beat got going and the trumpet kicked in, it really worked. Even better than BOX 15.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Suzuki Method posted:

I used to think Togami placed the knife under the table, but now knowing the contents of the duralumin case I don't think he really had a reason to put a knife under there when he already has police gear. So this means he probably wasn't reaching under the table to retrieve the knife.

At the very end up the update, the game threw another "This is really Naegi you guys!" thing with the whole 'we have something in common' speech (both were the protagonist) and I think it's trying to make us have a false expectation of Nagito. He's the closest to the table with the lamp and knife, and he's also standing right next to that air conditioner. I think, just like with Togami's "I'll protect all of you, no one will die" thing, Nagito constantly bringing up things that bring Naegi to mind is laying it on thick on purpose. For that reason I think he's the murderer.

They just killed off Togami; I really don't think they'd kill off their other character hook with DR1 so soon.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I don't think Togami stuck the knife under the table. Why hide one there, when he could just keep one in his case?

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

This is beautiful.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Jeek posted:

Yay the trial has started! I am watch the video later but everything looks awesome thus far.

I like how there are much less :downs: this time around, and Hanamura acts pretty normal for someone on top of the suspect list.

I wouldn't really call his reactions normal so far. He's tried to discredit both the knife and letter as evidence. Mighty suspicious.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Terper posted:

Not necessarily. I don't think Hanamura planted either the knife or the letter. He'd have no reason to plant that knife since he had access to dangerous weapons anyway (and it's not like this murder seems to have been premediated, at least not the one we got), and he really doesn't seem the type to make such a threat, since he from the very start has tried to ignore the whole 'kill each other' deal. If he really was trying to protect himself, wouldn't it be smarter to push the knife as the murder weapon?

Also, really digged Mahiru butting in there. She's definitely not as bland as she seemed at the start.

The fact that the knife was planted at all demonstrates that the murder was premeditated. They put glow-in-the-dark paint on the knife, not knowing that Togami had night-vision goggles. With everyone gathered together, it was very likely that SOMEONE would see the glowing paint during the blackout and investigate. Then it's just a matter of stabbing upwards through the floorboards with a skewer once they heard someone moving around above them.

Hanamura didn't mention anything about the knife being the murder weapon; he didn't think it was relevant to the case at all.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

FPzero posted:

If nothing else I love that this trial isn't as cut and dry as DR1's first trial. Even as far in as we are I'm still not 100% sold that it was Hanamura, though it's definitely looking more and more likely. At least it's not "Leon did it" and we were pretty sure of that before we even finished the investigation portion.

As Maya would say, "we don't have enough information." It's interesting to speculate on suspicions about Hanamura or Nagito, but we can't be sure about what happened until we know more about things like how Gundam got his earring back. It is nice that the developers didn't spell out who the killer is like in DR1, though this seems to be more for making the cases more complex and harder to work out immediately while playing (see how the tutorial cases progressed through the Ace Attorney series, which DR seems to be heavily inspired by).

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

JT Jag posted:

There's way too many unresolved pieces of evidence that point to someone having been under the floorboards during the murder. They will have to be addressed, or else a significant portion of the investigation was a waste of time. And these sorts of games don't work that way, every bit of evidence gets used. Even that seemingly worthless bit of evidence with Tsumiki in a compromising position is going to get used before the end of this trial.

I know the Phoenix Wright games used every piece of evidence, but did DR1? I seem to recall there being some evidence in the last pair of cases that wasn't used, like the giant plant and the chickens, though I could be misremembering.

My point is, it's entirely possible that some of the evidence items are red herrings. I'm not sure I want to know how the fanservice shot is relevant.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I wouldn't be too surprised if Nagito is actually the one controlling Monobear (or Monomi).

The fact that he's not the culprit means he will survive this trial, meaning either the other students will have to live with a lunatic, or he'll be removed from the main island via some Spike brand of crazy.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

There's no way that Hanamura and Nagito were not in cahoots. How else could Hanamura have known where the crawlspace entrance was?

Nagito found the door while cleaning the lodge, intentionally left the storage room messy to keep people out, then plotted with Hanamura (or at least gave him the suggestion). That's also why Hanamura knew to have the portable stove on hand.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

I kind of had trouble understanding this part, this is a meeting between Kirigiri from the first game and her father, right? I found it kind of hard to follow the writing cause everyone is called Kirigiri. This is also because I'm extremely stupid.

I'm assuming it has something to do with Japanese courtesy, calling the daughter by her given name and the father by his family name (much like how children in the US usually don't call adults by their first name). Another example of this is Persona 4: Nanako Dojima is called Nanako by others, while Ryotaro Dojima is called Dojima.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Maybe he was fitted with an artificial digestive system.

...would that imply the existence of Monobear poop? :ohdear:

Don't forget how stretchy he is!

Monobear is a very versatile bear.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

CaptainFish posted:

I kinda wish the game would get to the why instead of dwelling on the how so much. I'll admit there have been some interesting wrinkles like the culprit's exact location, the use of lights and the location of the weapon. The fact that the skewer was actually fashioned into a weapon means this is hell of premeditated. The way he did it seems like it was to stop Nagito from committing his planned murder, but the way Hanamura keeps looking towards him for guidance seems to go against that idea.

Pretty sure the why comes after the murder walkthrough and the vote. The killer's not going to confess their motivation until it's all over (at least that's how it was in DR1).

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I'm glad the execution was over-the-top. I'm pretty squeamish when it comes to watching stuff like this, and some of the "punishments" in the first game, like Leon's and Kirigiri's, were almost too gruesome to bear. Seeing it done in a cartoonish fashion helps to remind us that even though we're watching this character whom we've come to know and (somewhat) understand get killed, in the end it's just a game.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

orenronen posted:

I aplogize... I should have stated it better, but my Japanese isn't good enough...

Small typo here - it should say "apologize"

quote:

Is that a giant iPad?

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

orenronen posted:

U...Um... It's not really that... bad, is it? I mean, if I breath with my mouth it’s a bit better...

Small (common) typo here - it should say breathe.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

And an especially bad "optional" sidequest or minigame can put a damper on your enjoyment of the main game. The Chrono Trigger DS release is a prime example. The "bonus" dungeon turning out to be the most unbelievably tedious backtracking exercise ever released was the most repulsive thing I've seen on a gaming console.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I'm guessing that a bunch of people are going to vote for Nagito just to see if it's possible, and for Souda and Nidai for their parts in his restraint. Personally I went for Sonia and Koizumi, as we don't really know much about them yet. Most of the other characters have had a bigger presence so far and I'd like to learn more about those two.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You dudes realize the very last line of the update only says to post if there's something interesting about it right?

Just makin sure.

I'm wondering myself though now that Nagito's revealed to be tied up if people can just freely wander in and see him, sounds like he'd be a big target if he can't move and is totally bound.

And completely unguarded, at least at this point in time.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

That's... an unusual photo.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

pidgeon posted:

I didn't hear the word "F-suke" when I was watching the video. What's the point of switching one Japanese word for another Japanese word?

The original kanji, 男, is just "-o" when used in a name. I assume they just switched it because "-suke" is a more well-known ending to Japanese male names around here, as well as to distinguish it from the female "-ko". Persona 4, for instance, has Yosuke and Daisuke.

This is actually a situation where I personally feel the translation would be better served by replacing the Japanese gender markers with English. To someone not familiar with Japanese names, "Mr. F" and "Ms. A" make a lot more sense than "A-ko" and "F-suke".

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 6, 2013

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

orenronen posted:

Do you know that Saionji did today?

Typo here - should say "what Saionji did".

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I doubt Saionji is the killer, but it'd be really helpful if people who weren't the murderer could clearly state their alibi rather than making up random crap.

Her actions don't surprise me. Koizumi was her first real friend on the island, and that friendship was cut short within a few days. She ran away, crying, from the crime scene, likely after seeing the body. She's probably in shock and denial about the whole incident, and is covering it all up with her impish facade.

Compare this with Aoi from DR1 - remember that the last machine-gun battle in the suicide chapter, which is usually held with the killer, is instead with her. Saionji doesn't want to face the reality of her friend's death, so she's denying reality and lying about everything.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

GodofDiscord posted:

Here's another thought, what if the the duo of culprit and accomplice were not Kuzuryu and Peko, but Nidai and that other lady.. it's farfetched I know, but it's a possibility.

There's absolutely no evidence to back this up, other than "they're strong."

That's the trouble with this style of engagement in this kind of game. Short bursts of gameplay, spaced about a week apart, with lots of viewer participation will naturally lead to lots of analysis and far-fetched theories. But that's not the way this game is meant to be experienced. If you've played the Phoenix Wright series, you know that the games aren't really about solving mysteries, but simply noticing small details about what is currently being discussed. Dangan Ronpa is the same way - while ostensibly a mystery game, it's really just a matter of putting the right pegs in the right holes, one step at a time.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

To be fair, that's not entirely true. Akane was covered in blood when she showed at the diner, and Nidai is the only one backing up her alibi, unless Mikan can prove that the blood was Akane's.

Still, it would take a wild leap in the case to get to that conclusion.

That's true, I forgot about that.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

So assuming Kuzuryuu is still alive, that means there are now two people on the island who attempted murder - him and Nagito.

Things are gonna go to hell real quick.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Everyone except Owari is presently accounted for, right? I was honestly expecting a murder to occur during that song.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

CandyCrazy posted:

The murder's almost certain to be in the hospital. It's the only area on the island with its own map, all of the vulnerable people are there, and Kuzuryuu conveniently bumps the number of conscious people there up to three, the number needed for the dead-body announcement.

It's not just convenient, it has to be intentional. Kuzuryuu has read the situation Monobear set up well enough to believe that one of the patients is going to be killed, so he's staying here precisely so that there will be three people aware enough to find the body.

quote:

This entire scenario... it has got to be a trap.

quote:

I think that time has come. Hinata and Tsumiki are just two people. That's not enough...

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Narsham posted:

The quarantine itself doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If Monobear is determined to infect people as a motive (and I don't believe that being infected counts as a motive in Monobear's eyes), surely he can spread the disease anywhere on the island he wants?

You're assuming that everyone is acting rationally. Monobear told them about a disease that makes people crazy, and they saw several of their classmates go crazy. The quarantine is their reaction to this; because of their fear and panic, they don't question Monobear's story.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

This argument is silly. nee-DAH-ee and nee-DIE sound exactly the same when you say them out loud. So you're both right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Don't go by pronunciation guides when you're counting syllables anyway. Look at words like "strengths" and "chasm," which have multiple sounds but only one syllable.

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 9, 2014

• Locked thread