Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.

KataraniSword posted:

You - or whomever did this - is a wonderful person. Now I can enjoy the LP without drowning in the speculation!

Ah, but you will have the despair of waiting three extra hours to know there's an update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Is there an easy place for one to buy the sound track to this or the first game? I'm pretty sure I need to give folks money for these amazing songs.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Okay, I haven't seen any one say this. I hope this isn't a repeat.

It's obvious to me the whole game is set up for despair to win as hope won last time. Give the kids a perfect place full of hope and let them destroy it themselves. We aren't playing the embodiment of hope here. We're playing snarky, angry teen.

So, SHSL Despair is hoping to win by having the kids themselves battle hope and safety.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

orenronen posted:

Here are my thoughts on Usami.

She's supposed to be annoying in the same way that any cute animal mascot made for children is, because that's exactly how she speaks and acts. Everything she says and does is as if she's been taken from an educational TV show for 5 year olds (and not a relatively cool one like Sesame Street). That's the kind of feeling Dangan Ronpa is trying to pass here.

The problem is that in Japan, a verbal tic is standard for this kind of a mascot. That's just how they are written. I feel that in the west they're most likely to give such mascots an extreme cartoony voice rather than any peculiar syntactic style. It's very difficult to translate, as you might expect, and luckily we're still at an early stage where retroactive tweaks are possible.

We'll put some more thought into it. Perhaps throw a little reedited scene at you for opinions.

That's easy enough, tons of "boys and girls", addressing the audience, hell Dora The Explorer her up.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Ugh, I was so good last time and avoided near all spoilers. This is yet another generic warning folks, don't even think of googling, tumblring, redditing, tvtroping, anything even closely related to this game what so ever. I also suggest not talking to any one outside this thread even if you are really good buddies with them or working out at the gym.

Edit: I wobbled over that line per the thread. Going to remove it to play safe.

Vexrm fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 31, 2012

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

What's this Copellia, Gundam is referencing?

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

The knife bugs me right now. We had a full list of everything in the kitchen and all the knives were accounted for and locked away. I'm sure the answer is going to be something along the lines of "I got it at the supermarket!", but right now, it just bugs.

Every one thinking there's a double murder because of the bathroom? I don't think that's likely. It was said that the door was locked even before the party started. All but gangster were around at that point. So, who is in the bathroom? Either gangster, monobear, or a surprise we don't know of. I'm willing to bet Monobear. "Oh, you are going to eat way too much and be miserable and need the toilet but I'm on it" sounds like something he'd do for despair.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

The motive was clear. You wanted dessert. I'm just surprise it wasn't a double murder with gymnast girl in there too.

In seriousness, I think motive was important. I don't think we have the information to figure out what that motive was. I'm even willing to buy that it was the wrong victim that's come up a few times.

We got two people with means and time, but none of them seem to have the motive to kill Porkfeet. So, who would any of them have the motive to kill instead?

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

I'm more convinced then ever this is set up to have Hope be the obvious goal instead of Despair and see if the kids fall into despair instead. I mean last time it was despair after despair and they found hope and this time it's hope speech after twisted perverted hope speech.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

CandyCrazy posted:

Most of those were coming from Nagito, rather than Monobear or even Monomi, so I wouldn't jump the gun on saying this whole thing is based on hope just yet.

the_steve posted:

He's basically using Hope as a tool to spread and prolong Despair.

Pretty much the second quote is my answer here. More to the point, even if the big bad(s?) aren't saying it it's a theme of the story so far. I'm not willing to bet who the main villain is or even if they are part of the student group yet, but the theme seems to be finding despair in hope rather than finding hope in despair.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

For DR0 could I ask what the SHSL every character is that's DR0 specific? The problem for me is the chunks not the translation or story. I'm sure once it's all posted I'll plow through it, but for now my brain isn't handling DR0 at all.

The sum up is very helpful and I have a few guesses where this is going that all hinge on Oren saying it's important for DR2. Please keep posting and translating them Oren. The ideas presented seem interesting. I could get a ton of material out of the whole "we are studying talent" bit.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Falls Down Stairs posted:

This is from before the update so it got buried, but I'm like 99% sure that if I didn't state someone's SHSL title directly in the summary, we were never told it. Ryouko and Madarai we've seen in action, but we don't know what field those skills were meant to be applied to. Kamukura we obviously know nothing about.

Well that explains why I couldn't find the titles, thank you.

I hope you keep the summary updated. I started reading DR0 with your summary as a cliff notes and it's helpful.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

slowbeef posted:

Hey all,

So lpix had a disk fault of some variety (baldurk's taking the blame) and this update's images are lost. Oren is unavailable it seems. I'm asking Fedule etc. if they have the images. If so, and they can be re-upped to lpix, I can edit oren's post to put them back in.

But on the off chance they don't have the images, I don't suppose anyone here managed to get them in cache or something?

I actually have them all in cache in an open window right this second.

Problems: I'm at work.
Good sides: I'm working on image and document processing right now and I'm sure I can justify grabbing them as batch testing.

Let me know what you need and how you'd like them.

Edit: Oren beat me. Go Oren.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

slowbeef posted:

I'm at work too, so what would really help me is if someone could actually just e-mail me (slowbeef@gmail) the BBCode and I can paste it in.

If you don't have time for that, but you still have the images cached (it looks like only the "main" ones, i.e. not the character portraits), maybe you can post them here and someone else can do the BBCode?

edit: That or we wait 3-4 hours, but that is a very long time.

Let me see what I can do. I'll check back in ~30mins or so either with success or failure.

Edit: Failure. First time dealing with LPix and this is clearly going to take me too much time to upload and edit the BBCode when I'm at work. I have all the pictures though and am willing to send them off in a zip. At this point though Oren will beat us to the fix.

Vexrm fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 18, 2013

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

So,

I can match the intro and the first trail to "A bunch of despair overcoming hope" and my theory this is the inverse of the first game where it's set up for Hope to easily win if those pesky kids didn't muck it up.

I haven't seen much in this trial to go with that theme. Maybe I was wrong? Though it all depends why Gangster is shocked.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Oren,

I'm going to try to phrase this question as best as I can as others have voiced a thought I've had for a bit.

Is the character of Monobear, though he may or may not be controlled by some one else, supposed to have a different narrative voice in this game compared to the first? He doesn't seem nearly as involved this time around. I don't know if it's "This is the second game" syndrome, the tag team translation/editing (which is amazing, don't take this as a complaint), a purposeful decision on the games part I should be noticing, or the addition of Monomi taking away some of Monobears role.

Once again I'm asking strictly about Monobear as a character and nothing about who is behind the curtain.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

HellCopter posted:

But how can they trust him to not cheat at everything like Dick Dastardly?

Because Dick Dastardly's cheats never worked out. Monobear is much more competent.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Guys, the fake suicide? It was done with mirrors. Specifically the big full length one that's been staring us in the face the whole time.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Do elaborate.

The mirror has been pointed out twice now. Mirrors can reflect light. You can set up a stage and a mirror so the mirror will reflect you going up to "hang" yourself into the camera lens. No need to get a second camera, find a second location, or do a video recording which I don't think we know the cameras can do.

Going off "It's a live feed" and "The full length mirror is important" it seems obvious we don't need to have the murder elsewhere. It also means that the hanging body could have been there in the same room as what was broadcasted and been there for a while due to the heat.

Now, it might be a red herring I'm chasing, but the mirror has been pointed out. The mirror stands out to me. The mirror seems the easiest way to explain how to do a fake suicide that got shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Man I liked my plan with mirrors.

Oh well, I'm bad at murder mysteries and just enjoy the ride.

• Locked thread