Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Anoia posted:

I was about to say the video game has to have more clues, then I thought peer pressure is probably involved in the game's murder, so what if that's the case here? There's the window that requires a boost, Peko being wet, Sonia in the wetsuit... And if anybody can influence someone to do something, it's a Princess. I wouldn't put blackmail past her either, given her previous sudden shifts in talking about the importance of tactics.

But now I feel like I'm reaching too much. I do wonder though, if someone coerces someone else to commit murder for them, will only the murderer face execution?

Coercing someone to commit murder is the same as being an accomplice to one; only the person who actually performed the act is put on trial and has a chance to escape. The only reason to ever do something like that is to eliminate a person you think will screw you over later, when you yourself actually try to go after someone to get free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
The only motive I can find in the game would be for Koizumi to kill Kuzuryuu, not the other way around. When you think about it, Koizumi and E-Ko were good enough friends to where Koizumi would cover up E-ko murdering someone else without even batting an eye. The game would have been the only way she could have deduced who the murderer of E-ko was since she has no memories of that event (presumably). Koizumi was also on the bridge to the park when Hinata left to go play the game the first night 'taking photographs of the ocean' and could have easily played the game before or after Hinata did.

I'm thinking the game is one big red herring or is only tangentially related to the murder, or Koizumi tried to kill Kuzuryuu and something backfired on her.

The game itself is iffy on some points too; the murder evidence (The broken vase) that implicates E-ko murdering the unnamed victim is in the classroom next to the music room. The victim's body was found in the music room itself. Was she killed in the music room or moved there? The music room was also locked when the group got there, and the only way in was through the door that the group came through in. That being the case, how did E-ko leave the music room and lock it? The key for the door was in the teacher's lounge where E-ko said it was, so she couldn't have had the key on her at the time. Lastly, what made the head-wound found on the victim's body? Was it the aquarium, the vase, or something else entirely?

And of course, how is the missing swimsuit even relevant?

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

SchrodingersFish posted:

I think E-ko is supposed to be Mahiru. Everyone keeps saying E-ko has to be Satou because E-ko was killed in the game which means E-ko can't be on the island, but I don't think that's true.

D-ko accuses E-ko of killing the first victim because she was better than E-ko in Photography club and E-ko was jealous. I think the video game was supposed to be a motive for Kuzuryuu to kill Mahiru (E-ko) in revenge for Mahiru (E-ko) killing his sister (the first victim). E-ko is killed exactly the same way that Mahiru was if I remember correctly (baseball bat to the head), so I think her murder is a copycat of the event in the game which was meant to inspire the murderer.

I don't think that Kuzuryuu did kill Mahiru though... he just doesn't seem like the type and it seems way too obvious, although I could be totally wrong. I don't have an answer who it could be though, perhaps it's however Satou is supposed to be. I'm guessing Satou is an alias and someone here is using a fake name.

...What

E-ko kills the victim because the victim in question was bullying D-ko. It was hypothesized that the victim was jealous of D-ko's photography talent. E-ko confronted the victim about the bullying, but the victim decided to start threatening E-ko too. E-ko then killed the victim. D-ko found evidence to prove E-ko was the killer but disposed of it herself, because D-ko stated they were friends. Read the Day 3 conversation again.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Joenen posted:

I still can't buy the Kuzuryuu murder theory because it doesn't fit with the evidence bullets. Particularly the empty drink bottles. Unless we have reason to discard the "the culprit washed themselves off" theory, I don't think we can suspect Kuzuryuu because he wasn't wet or covered in blood spatter, and we saw him in the vicinity 30 minutes or so after the crime.

Evidence bullets in the past have been used in lines of reasoning that have not led to anything meaningful or to prove points that had nothing to do with the actual murder; in fact in almost every murder in DR1 they would go off in three separate directions before finally reasoning out the murder properly. Chihiro's murder trial is a prime example of this.

Ruling someone out because they don't jive with the evidence bullets is like ruling Kuzuryuu and the creepy kimono chick out because three people have to find the body before it is announced to everyone.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

But what if you don't care if you live :eng101:

That would apply far better to Komaeda than it ever would to Kuzuryuu or Peko.

I am betting Komaeda went free before the murder happened. There is no way he just stood on the sidelines this whole time and that his only involvement in this case was 'pushing' Koizumi to play the game.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Random_Username posted:

I thought that until they told us that Monomi released him. He couldn't have been a part of it. No one knew he was released, and he didn't know anyone was planning a murder. He wouldn't have known to come to the beach, and even if he did, how would he have beaten us to the Twilight videogame? He makes sense as a willing accomplice, but he simply didn't have the time.

Monomi never said when she released him, she only stated that she wanted everyone to work together and be friends. We know he was locked up when Hinata went to feed him the day before the murder occurred, but from that point up until meeting him in the park he has been AWOL with nobody mentioning him. Monomi was also the only person guarding him, and the only person that would have seen him leave. Monomi only let Hinata in to feed him when he mentioned he didn't want Komaeda starving to death, and even when he went in he never ended up feeding Komaeda.

I am thinking it is likely Monomi let Komaeda free sometime the day before the murder occurred because he had never been fed. Hinata went and talked to several people as he went to feed him, so nobody else ever thought that Komaeda had gone without food. While it may be true that Komaeda had no idea what was happening before that point, we also do not know what Koizumi told him about the game; she would have had to mention something about it in order for him to give her the 'push' he mentioned giving.

After being released, Komaeda did not necessarily have to meet up with anyone; he could have easily overheard something or was approached by someone else with a proposition for help. He could have also met with Koizumi, considering she is now dead and can't tell anyone else about who she met with.

I am still of the mind that Koizumi is not innocent in all this in the slightest; She has a much better motive to kill Kuzuryuu than Kuzuryuu has to kill her, especially now that we know she was handed proof that the events of the game were real AND has played all four days of the game, which means she knows that Kuzuryuu likely killed her friend. This is of course after Kuzuryuu or someone posing as him sent her a letter threatening her as well as Tsumiki, Mioda, and Saionji, which prompted Koizumi to try to meet with those three. Note that the letter also tells her that 'We'll talk soon'; that is probably the reason the murder took place where it did because Koizumi made contact with the murder and agreed to meet him there. If someone says they are going to kill you or you think that might be the case, getting a weapon and bringing friends are two ideas that immediately come to mind. I initially thought Koizumi was there to meet Tsumiki and Mioda since she knew their beach plans, but if that were the case, why did Koizumi decline their invitation to come swimming? Koizumi had to have another reason for being where she was at that time.

Given Saionji's reaction to the airport questioning, I'm pretty certain she was the only one who actually met with Koizumi to hear her out. This happened the day before the murder, when she went shopping with Koizumi. That is also why she was at the beach before everyone else (Including Kuzuryuu; we saw him walk by but not Saionji) because she knew where to go beforehand, since Koizumi probably told her to be there or what was going to happen there.

Also note that we saw Saionji leave, but not Kuzuryuu. This means he left a different way and the whole 'the only way to and from the beach is past this diner' is entirely wrong, slipped by while everyone was busy staring at tits in the diner, or found someplace to hide until everyone dispersed.

Facetious Jim fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 22, 2013

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I just marathoned DR 1 and now I'm out of DR2 updates. gently caress this gay earth.

On a less content-less note, I'm seriously going to be shocked if Gundam ever bites it in this game. He strikes me as the Hagakure of DR2. He exists to, at most, be a red herring, and be doofy as hell. Forever.

(He is the superior Hagakure)

I cannot think of a believable motive for him to kill anyone ever, outside of someone killing one or more of his hamsters, which in and of itself should count as murder.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

sassamifrass posted:

This has been really worrying me. Because if true, the implication is that however the "game" played out for these students (whether the whole thing was a VR in their classroom, or some mass shared hallucination) it ultimately leads to every single one of them dying. Except possibly "the traitor".

Well, this is assuming that their deaths in the school weren't faked, in order for Junko to then really take the class elsewhere to test out her new despair-inducing toys on them.

Hoping that first theory is incorrect. Gotta have survivors. Please let there be survivors. :arghfist:

According to DR:0, fourteen members of Hope’s Peak Academy’s student council were suddenly called to an overseas facility. A month later, a rumor began circulating that there were fifteen students that disappeared. Thirteen students were found dead.

Thing is, the context of the whole discussion in DR:0 was the original 'The Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History'. If Ryouko and Yuuto were talking about the events of DR:2 in this conversation, that means DR:2 is literally the original event that set this whole mutual killing thing into motion which I find fairly unlikely. Note also that sixteen people went on the DR:2 trip.

Facetious Jim fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 27, 2013

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
If you want to get all physics gay about it, a metal bat will probably strike with more force than a wooden mallet purely because metal is harder and more brittle than wood. Even if the wood might be more massive and carry more weight, wood deforms much easier than metal which will disperse some of the impact force, whereas metal will not give a poo poo. Additionally, a mallet has a broader striking surface than a metal bat, so while in terms of raw force a heavy wooden mallet may carry more energy, it will be dispersing said force over a larger area.

I would invite anyone who honestly cares enough about the physics of baseball bat-induced head injuries to read things like http://www.ashdin.com/journals/JFB/F100601.pdf and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1238919

EDIT: Also honestly this is a video game. Why is a little girl being able to kill someone with a metal bat to the head off the table when functional remote death robots and artificial islands miles away from any coastline exist?

Facetious Jim fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 31, 2013

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Talen_Soti posted:

I dunno, this sword looks a bit longer than 3 feet. I'd say easily 4.5 to 5 feet. It goes from her head to past her knees, even at an angle.

Fitting a 4.5 to 5 foot or even a 3 foot sword out of a narrow bathroom window would be exceedingly difficult, especially with the shower so close to the wall the window is on. Swords are also terrible for supporting someones entire body weight. Assuming this is even possible, which it isn't because a sword blade is very much prone to bending sideways if enough stress is placed on the metal, retrieving said sword after climbing through the window would be impossible without trying a cord or rope to the blade to reel it up to where you are. From here, again, getting a long object through a narrow window with not a lot of clearance between the wall and the shower isn't very easy.

I am not saying any of these things are impossible, but they would take far more time to execute than our killer has without an incredible amount of practice (Which is unfeasible in this situation), skill (Which is completely unquantifiable given we haven't actually seen anyone use their talents to that level other than those who are already dead), or luck (Which cannot be predicted or accounted for).

As an aside from seeing this picture again, I fear Peko may have scoliosis of the lower back. Human spines do not do that.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Knicknevin posted:

I think I beat the ground pretty flat about this same topic before, but no matter who helped who get out the window, at least one accomplice in the crime is left inside the beach house with the body blocking the door. And the only footprints leading out are Saionji's, and Saionji is way too small to be boosting anyone out a window.

Mahiru is blocking the tunnel side door, leaving only the window and beach side door as possible exits. And any way you break it down, for the killer to have left the beach house required an accomplice, unless it was Saionji, since only her footprints were left behind. Any accomplice is trapped by this dilemma as well, unless Sainoji is the accomplice. Mahiru's body is blocking the door so the killer can't have left that way. Saionji could have moved the body a little after the killer left though. In fact, it seems like she's the only person who could have, unless we doubt Akane's judgment that getting out the window alone was impossible.

I am not sure if it is just me, but this second update of the trial gave me the impression that everyone is looking at the window backwards. People are trying to find ways for the window to be an exit, but I am getting the impression that the window was not the exit, but how the killer entered the beach house. Same thing with the water bottles; the current assumption is that the water bottles were used to wash off blood, but that in and of itself is a pretty big assumption. E-Ko wasn't bloody at all after killing Kuzuryuu's sister with an improvised flail, in DR1 Celes wasn't bloody after braining Yamada with a big hammer, and neither was Oowada after staving in Fujisaki's head with a dumbbell, so despite real-world blood pattern analysis stating otherwise the killer didn't necessarily get any blood on them from smacking Koizumi in the head with a bat because this is a video game and it does what it pleases. The water bottles could have been used to cover tracks, imply that someone was waiting in the beach house for some time, lubricate an object, or a number of other things I can't come up with because it's past 3:00 am in my timezone.

A few other details that have been failed to mention thus far: In addition to the two doors and the bathroom window, there is another window in the main room next to the beach-side door. There is blood smeared on the doorknob of the tunnel-side door that is nowhere near any of the other blood splatters by Koizumi's body. It is very easy to cover your own tracks in loose sediment like sand.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Clarste posted:

...except there's no reason for the killer to enter using the window since they could just as easily have used the door. Which wasn't blocked before the murder happened.

...except for when you want to get the drop on someone by attacking from a direction they are not expecting, because walking in through the front door with a baseball bat and/or a mask on is going to make someone immediately suspicious about what you are doing? Especially when everyone knows that in order to get off the island you have to kill someone?

There's no signs of a struggle, which indicates the killer surprised and dropped them before they got a chance to react meaningfully.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
I am baffled as to how someone who can plan and execute a murder that well could forget to do something as simple as drying themselves off, especially considering all the girls were invited to the beach and having a towel with you is pretty standard and not at all suspicious.

This is the main reason I have so much trouble suspecting Peko. Nobody is that dumb, and if she turns out to be some infamous serial killer she CAN'T be that dumb if she's managed to evade being caught by the police for so long.

I am also curious as to why they needed to wash themselves with water bottles and leave behind evidence when the ocean is like 20 feet away.

This whole thing just does not make sense. My money is still on Sonia as the killer.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
Either that, or Peko is pulling an Aoi from the last game and trying to get people to murder her so Kuzuryuu gets to live, and this trial is only going to continue cascading downhill in a blaze of drama.

Facetious Jim fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 3, 2013

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
I think this is probably a relationship thing. Peko and Kuzuryuu could have a thing for each other, so Peko is trying to get everyone to vote her so that Kuzuryuu can go live on.

It's the only thing I can think of that explains why Peko is acting like a crazy and Kuzuryuu wants to deflect blame from her despite potentially putting himself in danger by doing so. Peko's quote of "Remember? In order to protect something of utmost importance... one must be ready to discard everything else." and all its various permutations in every other anime ever pretty much always is in reference to love.

Now, HOW and WHY they got together in only a handful of days with really no indication that this was even a thing is beyond me. Maybe that's where he's always sneaking off and why he's so pissy about it.

Come to think of it, this also wouldn't be the first time the douchebag and the serial killer paired up. Throwbacks!

Facetious Jim fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 9, 2013

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

alcharagia posted:

People like you are the reason the internet is a terrible place, just FYI.

It's better than the whole hired hitman thing. Can you think of a better reason for why Kuzuryuu would want to cover for her?

Also this is anime, Love and feelings are always shoehorned in somewhere, and if it was not obvious from the last two updates this game has just gone Full Anime™.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

kvltmanifesto posted:

you mean anime fans always shoehorn them in somewhere

Point.

Austrian mook posted:

I just had a post where I outlined a different theory literally above yours and yeah it's not perfect but it's not that.

I wouldn't be surprised if it does turn out they were both trying to kill the same person since that would explain why there's evidence pointing at two separate people, but that still really doesn't explain why Kuzuryuu would cover for her. Like someone earlier said, if Peko is the culprit and Kuzuryuu covers for her so that someone else is picked as the murder, he still dies. If Kuzuryuu is actually the culprit, Peko is going to die anyway so long as he is not voted which means covering for her is entirely unnecessary.

Looking at this from Kuzuryuu's perspective, this means he believes neither him nor Peko are culprits and legitimately wants to find the real one so he is not killed, he's the culprit and has a silly bullshit reason for jumping to Peko's defense, or Peko's the culprit and he has a reason for wanting her to live that is worth dying over.

Looking at this from Peko's perspective, the reasons she could have for trying to out herself as the culprit are that she wants the real culprit to go free to the point where she is willing to die to get it done, or she is the actual culprit and is just as crazy as she seems.

The problem is in either case you are picking between bullshit reasoning, or a motive strong enough for a person to die for. Love happens to be on the short list of 'things people will die over', I don't see how it is a bad theory.

EDIT: Also what? When did I ever say I thought they were screwing? 'Wants to' and 'are' are two very different things. I apologize if my being tongue-in-cheek is offensive or confusing.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
So the mob enforcer theory has been thrown around before the trial ever started. I haven't believed it until now because there was nothing to suggest that in the game.

Did I miss something important that foreshadowed this or was that a wild guess that caught on/someone spoiled it early and passed it off as a guess?

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Geg posted:

I also wonder if there's gonna be another despair-twist at the end that reveals a lot of the Twilight Syndrome mystery was made up. It just feels hard to believe that Koizumi actually killed Kuzuryuu's sister

She didn't. Her friend E-ko (I forget what her real name was) did; Koizumi just removed a key piece of evidence from the crime scene that would have implicated her in the crime.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Penakoto posted:

What about Alter Ego? Different situation and reasoning, but he was killed in an execution despite not being voted as the murderer, so I think, if given an excuse or reason, it wouldn't explicitly be outside the rules to execute someone else along with the voted-on murderer.

According to Junko, the events of DR1 were being broadcasted over television to the entire word as a gently caress you to everyone still trying to hold out against the monopocalypse. Killing off everyone would make quick work of your television show. That's also why Monobear disallowed someone just murdering everyone else all at once to win.

However, everyone escaping murder-free wouldn't be very despair-inducing so he killed the laptop.

I doubt Monobear will allow a re-vote to kill Kuzuryuu because Peko already fills his one-murder-a-trial despair quota.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Her argument that she's just a tool with no agency is undercut by her refusing a direct order to not confess to the murder when she donned the mask and went all magical transformation catchphrase on us.

Assuming such an order was given. Kuzuryuu looks like he may not have actually told her to kill someone, let alone instructed her on how to do it.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
I would love to be wrong about this, but I don't think Gundam is going to survive until the end specifically because of how he is tailor made to be one of the most likeable characters in the game. That just screams "We'll save him for the last victim to lead you on as long as possible."

The character I am most interested in is Sonia, mostly because Souda has always struck me as the normal guy who is on the verge of snapping under pressure but is able to keep things together as long as Hinata and Sonia are there. If Sonia is removed from the picture, I am pretty sure Souda will crack and kill someone.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
I think Komaeda is basically this game's Togami, provided shenanigans don't happen and it turns out he's actually the mastermind somehow.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Jefepato posted:

Nagito's particular brand of crazy is honestly kinda interesting to watch when he hasn't been actively involved with and loving up the trial so much.

...But then, I guess his "hope vs. despair" obsession is necessarily less offensive when he's not actively trying to enable it by causing despair.

The more I go back and read Nagito's tirades about hope and despair, the less he seems like a crazy person and the more he seems to be knowingly taunting and subtly manipulating the rest of the cast under the guise of a crazy person. I would not be surprised if he is in on this whole game like Sakura from DR1. It's too convenient that he kicks off the whole series of murders with a comparatively crude one that serves to trick one person and at the same time serve as a marker for his murderer, and then after the trial immediately begins riling people up with his hope vs despair schtick and making them aggressive. Then, he happens to be the one who suggests Koizumi plays the game that ultimately leads to her murder. Chained up and locked away by himself, he still happened to be in the right position to instigate a murder. There is no way things just magically worked out that way.

Don't get me wrong, Komaeda is a great character, but there is no way he's just a crazy person; dude's definitely one of the villains if not the Junko of this story.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Knicknevin posted:

Holy poo poo Monomi and Monobear drop all kinds of leading comments, Nagito openly vows to wipe Monobear off the face of the earth, Hinata is in full-on despair, the countdown is ticking ever downwards, and the best you guys can come up with is a loving in depth analysis of Kuzuryuu's injuries with regards to whether or not he might become a cyborg. Or whether or not having more than one title is 'allowed' (and who is making up the loving rules here?).

REALLY?

I for one welcome our thread locking overlords. Please, for the sake of everyone's sanity.

I'm pretty sure the topic of Kuzuryuu's injuries came up because some people were writing off his injuries as superficial scrapes and cuts, if you go back and look at the quoted post in the original. Talking about Kuzuryuu being a cyborg really isn't any less legitimate than any other discussion considering it's Monobear treating him and so far everything affiliated with Monobear has been a robot. Also, Dangan Ronpa is a game series that frequently references and parodies popular anime/video game/pop culture tropes and archetypes; it really wouldn't be that out of place to throw in a [Name your favorite Mecha/Sci-Fi anime here] reference that way.

Personally I think they'll go with just an eye-patch, but a Kuzuryuu-Shaped-Robot-Buddy wouldn't be that farfetched.

Facetious Jim fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 22, 2013

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Van Dine posted:

Another thing is that Matsuda says that Soushun Murasame is in the same class as him, but that can't mean that the class affected by the Worst Incident is Matsuda's, surely? Matsuda is in the 77th class, as is Kamishiro. I don't think it's possible. Unless, perhaps, the class that disappeared wasn't a class per se but was a Student Council consisting of people from multiple classes, which would mean that Murasame could be from the 77th class without the same being true of all of the Student Council members. It was implied before that the Student Council were the ones affected by the incident, because the rumour Junko started was that fourteen of the Student Council had gone to study overseas.

Now we know, Junko must at least have been directly involved in, if not the cause of, the Worst Incident in the first place. It makes some sense that she would be involved directly rather than just happening to find about an incident that had already occurred.

Actually, the rumor was that 15 students disappeared and that 13 were later found dead. The facts are that one month prior to Junko spreading the rumor 14 members of the student council were called to an overseas facility, the Steering committee makes definitive mention of 13 victims and 2 survivors from the incident, Izuru Kamukura is definitively claimed to be the culprit by the Steering committee and Kirigiri, the school board is protecting Izuru Kamukura but the Headmaster believes they are making a mistake, Junko wants to kill Izuru Kamukura because he's a symbol of hope, and that Junko claims Ryouko is somehow involved in the incident as well.

Izuru's treatment by the schoolboard and the fact Junko wants to kill him makes me think Junko and Izuru were either working together and had a falling-out, they had clashing agendas to begin with, Izuru was a culprit completely unintentionally, or he was framed so convincingly it fooled the entire school board as well as Kirigiri. It's also probably worth noting that while Izuru is claimed to be the 'culprit' of the incident it has never once been mentioned that he killed or harmed anyone, which is unusual for an incident involving 13 deaths. It's also unusual that even among those who know Izuru is the culprit, these 13 deaths have never been called murders. Since Soushun had to be present in order to be a survivor of the incident, only one other person could have been physically present at the incident provided Junko's rumor is true.

So who was the 15th person present at the incident: Junko, Ryouko, or Izuru? While Junko is the strongest candidate of the three at first glance, there is one last logical inconsistency in the whole matter. Chapter 4 makes mention of the student who discovered the incident, which provokes an unusual reaction from Matsuda. That aside, if 14 student council members went to an overseas facility, 15 students total were rumored to go, 13 were found dead, 1 student is comatose, and 1 student disappeared after the incident, how did someone discover the scene at the overseas facility? Being overseas, it's not like someone could have just stumbled upon it, and the 15 students who went are all accounted for. The student who disappeared cannot be the student who discovered the scene as Matsuda interrogated the student who discovered the scene and by his choice of words to the Steering committee implied that said person is still under his care, and the comatose student cannot be the student who discovered the scene as the Steering committee called Matsuda to have him investigate said student after the student who discovered the scene had been interrogated. This adds one extra student to the 15 we already have.

This leaves four options; both Junko's rumor and the Steering committee are wrong and more than 15 students went, the school sent one or more students after sending the student council that nobody else knows about or has mentioned yet and only one of those students managed to find the incident, the incident is unrelated to the student council going overseas and took place somewhere more accessible, or there were students at the overseas facility before the student council ever arrived.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
Saionji is there to provide that lovely feeling of watching a know-it-all be proven wrong, or an egotist getting humbled, because lets face it: there is not a single person in the world who does not get a little satisfaction from someone getting knocked down a peg.

If you don't like Saionji, that means she's doing her job. You're supposed to hate her. With a cast as large as Dangan Ronpa's, it's inevitable that one or two of the characters will be designed to be unlikeable in order to make things more interesting and believable overall.

I'm curious to see what they do with her next, and how long she'll stick around.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Penakoto posted:

She's in highschool, not preschool, just thought I'd point that out. I know it's confusing based on the way she acts but she is in fact a decade older than her personality suggests.

To be fair, if you consider that she looks like a 12 year old, acts like a 12 year old, and sounds like a 12 year old, and the fact that nobody has any memories of spending time with her because presumably nobody knew her before they came to Hope's Peak, it is probably really easy to forget she is the same age as everyone else. This may be why nobody has told her to calm the gently caress down and quit being an rear end in a top hat.

Facetious Jim fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 30, 2013

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
That song was closer to thrash in actual composition than it was death metal. The lyrics were pretty death metal though.

I really hope Ibuki lives, but at the same time if she is destined to die I hope she dies as a murderer and not a victim, because after that performance her execution scene would have to be awesome as gently caress.

Facetious Jim fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 30, 2013

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
I held out hope that somehow the voice actor who does Mickey Mouse in the english Kingdom Hearts games would do Monobear, partially because that is the voice I always imagined him having before I listened to his actual voice and partially because as someone who can do a voice impression of Mickey Mouse fairly accurately, it is simultaneously disturbing and hilarious hearing sinister or derogatory remarks in his voice. Case in-point; I made a guy almost puke from laughter once over skype by yelling "Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne!" in a Mickey Mouse voice.

It would also fit with the whole 'voice of a beloved iconic character you do not expect on a villain' schtick the game already has in Japanese, but Disney would probably find a way to sue them into the sunset if they found out.

Facetious Jim fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 7, 2013

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
Nope. Nope nope nope.

I refuse to believe Nidai is going down here. If Kuzuryuu of all people gets a second chance after a mortal injury, Nidai should get one too.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
Being a robot would be stupid. Nidai's whole schtick is that he is a big manly man whose manly as gently caress. If he suddenly becomes a robot then he wouldn't really be manly anymore. All of his feats of strength would just be assumed as natural because he's now a robot, instead of as holy gently caress that manly dude is insanely strong.

It is the difference between being a badass normal and being an obvious walking tank.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

ThirdEmperor posted:

Now watch this have a completely logical but disturbing explanation.

Just like Pekoyama's serial killer act and every other 'ridiculous' thing people've gotten flustered about.

Monobear has been injecting mosquito larva with LSD for the past six years to prepare for this.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

tentawesome posted:

It's a spoiler if you didn't read DR1, I guess, that Naegi thinks his family is probably dead?

It's not exactly unreasonable to think your family is dead after being told that you've been locked in a vault to survive the apocalypse.

The more I look at the full picture of Dangan Ronpa's story, the more parallels I keep drawing to the Fallout franchise.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
Despair fever is meant to be a parody stand-in of any kind of contagious, debilitating disease. Think of the scene in any zombie movie where a member of the protagonist's group gets bitten and the group has to decide what they are going to do with him; some people want to kill him, others want to keep him and look for a cure, the two parts of the group can't come to terms, tensions within what was a formerly cohesive group get strained, then poo poo hits the fan and more people end up dead. This is the type of scenario I believe Dangan Ronpa is trying to recreate with this chapter, especially since a lot of the props in Chapter 3 are blatant movie references.

Dangan Ronpa, however, is light-hearted and over-the-top. Introducing an actual debilitating disease into the group would make things way darker than the game is trying to be. So the solution is to make the disease itself wacky, over-the-top, and while not fatal it is inconvenient enough for those that aren't sick to want to separate themselves entirely from those that are.

As a secondary motivation, someone already pointed out in this thread that killing a weakened person is a lot easier than a healthy one, and though it hasn't been mentioned in quite a long while in the game, getting away with murders gets you off the island.

With that in mind, I don't really think the Despair Fever thing is that out of place. We'll have to see how events actually play out, of course.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
From where I stand, the tonal shift seems more a product of the environment than it does the characters themselves. The environment in DR1 was a lot more grim, what with doors and windows visibly bolted shut and blocked by metal plating. The only obvious way out was a secure vault door guarded by two ceiling-mounted machine guns. There were obvious signs that the school has been tampered with and that someone was watching you, the least of which being the third machine gun mounted over the girl's locker room to speak nothing about the visible cameras throughout the game. It was immediately obvious that it was not just Monobear but the environment itself that was hostile, and you were locked inside with no way to escape, much less get a glimpse at the sky or the outside.

By contrast, SDR2 takes place on a sunny island where the sky is clearly bright and visible, and the only indication something is even wrong at all is the massive probably-a-bomb-of-sorts in the park. Cameras are referenced in dialogue but they aren't visible. Barring the ornamented gates at the island chain's junction, you are free to go wherever pleases you. With a few exceptions, everything is clean, neat, tidy, and comfortable.

DR1's environment created an atmosphere of implicit mystery by itself; what's behind that boarded-up window? Why can't we go into the cafeteria at night? What happens there? It feels more like a prison and the tension is obvious.

SDR2's environment creates an atmosphere of sloth and vice. To be honest, I am a little surprised that the killings are going at the pace they are; why bother killing people to get off the island when you have resort-level accommodations and seaside property that would cost a fortune all to yourself? Hell, throw in an internet connection and I might seriously consider risking death-by-teenager to live there. Other than Monobear's motivations and the doom robots we've seen all of twice, there's really nothing creating any tension at all.

Another contrasting point is Monobear himself. In DR1, Monobear offered an alternative to the mutual killings several times throughout the game; all you have to do is resign yourself to living there in the boarded up school, and you won't have to harm a fly. Unless my memory is off, Monobear doesn't mention any kind of alternative to the SDR2 cast, and in addition to that reveals a probably-a-bomb-of-sorts in the middle of the park. I am not yet sure what to make of this but I find it is an interesting shift in Monobear's own motive this time around.

Lastly it may just be my own impression, but with the exception of this current chapter, Monobear seems less overall threatening in SDR2 than in DR1. DR1 Monobear would pop up fairly frequently outside of motivations or trials to harass or scare the DR1 cast. In SDR2, this role has been inverted and given to Monomi whom right out the gate has been shown to be incompetent and harmless. Outside of trials, or handing out 'motivations', Monobear is basically vacant.

Lastly lastly, Monomi is probably my least favorite character in SDR2, and I believe the game would have been better without her.

Facetious Jim fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
After that black metal thrash performance, a dark ritual suicide is about the only way for Ibuki to go that would make it past Japanese censors.

You will be missed, Ibuki. Whoever killed her will probably also be missed after their trial but not to the same extent.

• Locked thread