Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fanart Collections

Dangan Ronpa inspires a lot of fanart, both from around the internet and from readers of this thread. It'd be a shame if reader contributions weren't preserved along with the LP, so I'm rounding up all original fan creations and cataloging them for your perusal.

Fanart is organized by spoiler level. There's a "spoiler free" section, for general character stuff and really, really early-game events, and there'll be a section for each chapter of the game. New sections will be added as the LP completes chapters.

:siren:Don't look at a gallery until you've finished the relevant chapter!:siren:

Spoiler Free or spoilers for the Prologue

Spoilers up to End of Chapter 1 and Volume 1 of DRZero

Spoilers up to End of Chapter 2

Fedule fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Yapaari posted:

Also, is Fedule helping with the translation or is it just editing? I didn't really understand what you meant with "rewriting the translation". Do you mean "retranslating"?
Keep it up!

I don't speak a word of Japanese (at least, that I haven't pieced together from Dangan Ronpa). I'm strictly an editor, not a translator. What happens is, oren will do an initial translation which will be mostly flat but at least decipherable, and I will rewrite lines one at a time in (essentially) my own words, in order to make them read better in English.

Stay tuned for some utterly spellbinding discussion about moving words around in sentences.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes
Episode the First

Being a series of posts wherein I talk a little* about the editing process, and discuss a few specific matters of note. As of this, the first installment, we're only an update into the LP, and there aren't a whole lot of specifics to discuss - what characterization we've seen is just preparation for when we're properly introduced to these characters later. So our discussion today is going to be a little more... general.

Let's begin from the top: my purpose here is... well... to edit. I'm an editor. I believe this has been mentioned, yes? Editing is a very... particular role. I am not the author - that's Kazutake Kodaka et al - I can't write to save my life. I'm not the translator - that's all orenronen - I don't speak a word of Japanese. My applicable skillset is:

1) I am good at words.
2) This is not the same as being good at writing!

In a typical authorial process, the editor is a glorified English teacher - they take a work and scribble all over it with that infuriating red pen. 'This is a poorly worded sentence!' 'That reads horrifically!' 'Holy poo poo just use "said" instead of the Thesaurus.com entry for "said"!'.

They don't change the things that are being said... they just change the words that are being used.

So, here's the process. Oren will go through a section of the game and... well, LP it. He'll then produce a rough draft of the update, translated - readable, intelligible - if a little flat. With Dangan Ronpa the first, he'd then go and edit this himself, producing the really-quite-good-actually translation we all know and love. With SDR2, however, he sends the first draft to me. I then take his translation and... well.

Before posted:

First things first. I must remember...

I have to work my brain and unravel that string of memory that became so tangled.

Think think think think think think think.

I gather the shards of memory that has gotten scattered all over, and put the situation back in order.

I mean, that's functional, isn't it? You could read that and get a complete idea of what's going on here. In propositional terms, there's nothing wrong with this! Hinata resolves to remember, then attempts to remember, and then begins to actually remember. See? Fine!

But, the words aren't so great. Let's see now...

After posted:

OK... Don’t panic. First thing’s first. I have to remember...

Keep calm, work my brain, and unravel my tangled memories.

Stop worrying and think! Think, think, think, think, think, think.

There are shards of memory everywhere... but I think I can piece together what happened.

Much better, if I do say so myself! (One big perk of being good at words is that you're much more suited to toe the treacherous line between self-confidence and outright arrogance... at least, in writing, anyway.) Ultimately, none of the explicitly expressed propositions have changed... but the words work.

I can't take credit for the overall quality of the work - that's Spike Chunsoft's claim. Nor can I take credit for the monumental undertaking that led us to the point where I even have anything to edit - that's Oren's bow to take. What I can take credit (or flak, as appropriate) for is how well it reads. And maybe individual sentences.

If you're wondering... the finished work has, according to my estimations (read: outright guesswork), a fairly even balance between lines that I've touched up a little, lines that are unchanged from the original draft, and lines that I've almost entirely rewritten. Very, very occasionally, you'll see a line that I outright invented, but I'm sure I don't need to explain why I'm going to be very, very, sparing on that front.

Here are some promises:
  1. I will edit lines, but I will hold the speaking order and expressions to be sacrosanct.
  2. Where I invent lines entirely, they will be great.
  3. I will do my utmost to cut down on unnecessary ellipsis use. Where they serve no purpose, they go.
  4. gently caress all "Metal Gear?!" mirror dialogue.
Finally, since I went and titled this thing "Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes", here's an actual anecdote about the first update.

quote:

...What...

...I don't... understand...

Oren and I had a tiny edit war over that first ellipsis row there. I had originally removed it, in accordance with promise number three (The Japanese version of Hinata's opening speech had four ellipsis rows between waking up and cutting to the title). Then later Oren made a few tweaks to the update, among which was adding that back. I then removed it a second time. As you can see, when the thread went live, it was back. Oren says he wanted a beat before Hinata resumes intelligible thought, and he's not wrong. My options at the time were to either:
  1. Immediately after thread launch, as I'm about to leave and go into college, begin an argument about punctuation and/or its necessity
  2. Not do that
I chose to cut my losses.

Next time, we'll-

-Wait... what's that? Is it? Could it be... a question from the audience?!

Yapaari posted:

"It goes beyond mere support... it borders on worship. Like a religion".

and

"What he’s saying makes sense, but...

What purpose is being served by this? And for who?
I don’t like this..."

These lines don’t exist in the original script. Some lines from Hinata's monologue at the beginning, like "Keep calm", "Stop worrying and think! ", "...Yes...", "...Come on..." are also absent from the JP script. I know the translation is supposed to be very liberal, but still, I'm wondering why you chose to include them.

Uh oh! I've been found out!

Yes, the lines you have quoted are me taking liberties. I am under instructions to not be afraid to take liberties! But I stand by the liberties I take.

Here's the first draft of what would become the "religion" line:

quote:

I'm like a young baseball fan who worships a professional baseball team...
Like a young soccer fan who worships his country's representative team...
Now, I don't know if this line reads better in Japanese because of reasons, but... well, yeah. I didn't like this line, and it is the task of the editor to be fearless. As I described earlier, Hinata is basically saying the same thing in both versions, except that one of the versions repeats what is basically the same line twice, and one does not.

Hinata's original reaction to the "purpose" line is, according to the first draft:

quote:

S...Some kind of a purpose...?
What is it...?
I think something strange is going on...

I actually changed this after reading a few updates ahead. The read I got on Hinata was that his inner monologue would be perceptive, inquisitive, distrusting, and - in starkest contrast to Makoto Naegi - decisive.

"Stop worrying and think", etc, was just a little embellishment that I thought would accentuate his approach to waking up in a strange place with shattered memories.

As for "Come on..."... you know how I said earlier that the initial opening had four rows of ellipses? Yeah.

Yapaari posted:

Another one:
Original JP script: 「だが、いくらなんでも不自然だ。頭の悪そうなお前らもそう思うだろう?」
orenronen: "This is not natural. Your ugly faces tell me that you agree".
「頭の悪そう」 kinda means "whose head is bad"="who is stupid". Wouldn't "stupid faces" be more accurate?

As great as I keep repeatedly telling you I am at words, I am, tragically, confined to words in English. So... when Oren translates something incorrectly... I won't notice. Fortunately, in this case... the erroneous translation still achieves the desired result. No harm, no foul!

Thanks for writing in, Yapaari! I always say that a good editor - like a good level designer - should work with an invisible hand. But if you look for my changes, you'll find them! And if you've got something to say, I'm happy to aggrandize myself further talk! I sure as hell didn't take this job because I hate editing!

As I was saying, next time, we'll have an update containing actual characterization for us to discuss, and I won't have to distract you with mission statements and reach like this for anecdotes!

*bit too much

Fedule fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 12, 2012

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

CestMoi posted:

eurgh Fedule don't give me reasons to actually read the thread

I have an early post in the thread. Shall I catalog the Riveting Anecdotes?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

njsykora posted:

Yes please can we have these added to the OP, I mean I know it's the first day of the thread but this is already bigger than most LP threads get after about 8 hours.

For the time being I've put them in my first post, but maybe they can go in the OP later.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

orenronen posted:

I should really be sleeping, but here's my idea - if Fedule gets his commentary series, I should too! Since this is, in fact, a looser translation, I thought I'll write up some details about the original prose for those who are interested, with comments about the difficult points of translating pop-culture Japanese, references we changed or removed, and why we made some of the choices we did. I'll work on the first entry when I wake up tomorrow, and add it and Fedule's commentaries to the OP TOC.

One of the problems of working in LP form is that we translate serially and publish immediatlly. Like most such things, this translation will mature and improve in time, as we get a better handle on our take on the characters. So please let me know what you like or dislike about the text. I can't promise we'll follow everyone's suggestions, but I promise to listen.

I was just thinking - future notes would warrant contributions from you re: the Japanese, since that's, y'know, your thing, but yeah, this is basically just taking that a step further. Proceed!

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's one of the things that I noticed in Fedule's writeup. Have you considered using something like Google Docs or another collaborative editor to aid in the translation?

Funfact: "Sends me" is figurative. :v:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

suuchan posted:

Ah, seeing the posts about the translation liberties and stuff with the character speech patterns makes things make a little more sense now! A few people were a little surprised because in this translation so far it seems like Hinata speaks very formally, compared to the upfront/bordering on impolite way he apparantly speaks in Japanese.

Although I guess we do only have one update to go on. Either way you choose to do it, I'm sure the translation will adhere to his/the other characters' spirit! I like it a lot so far, anyway.

"Surprised" is a somewhat conservative way of putting it, if you're talking about who I think you're talking about.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Thanqol posted:

Is it possible to get higher resolution pictures of the characters? I'd kind of like to get a closer look at some of the details on their designs.

There will be official pin-ups. All in good time, of course.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
For the love-

His given name is Hajime.

His family name is Hinata.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Ditocoaf posted:

Skimming through trying to find Orenronen's and Fedule's posts, it looked like a pretty repetitive stampede to wonder aloud, "oh boy, what's going to happen?". I'm already wishing there was something like the "?" filter that worked for two authors at once.

Here's the next best thing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fedule's Wiveting Editowial Anecdotes
Episode the Second

Wet's tawk abowt Usami.

Remind yourselves - if you've forgotten - that I'm not reading directly from the Japanese script. I get a flat translation and some notes. Here's what I knew, going in, about Usami's speech:

[She] tends to turn "s" to "ch" (i.e. "desu" -> "dechu"), which is a form of baby speak.

Words and phrases can be - relatively - easily literally translated. Speech impediments, however, are a bit harder, because mispronunciation affects, and is interpreted by, different languages in very different ways.

The most direct possible "translation" of this kind of speech in English would have been to give Usami a lithp - sorry, a lisp. You're doing the same thing with the letters (almost), right?

"It meanth a thchool event where thtudenth go on a trip and perform group activitieth under the supervithion of a teacher!"

Argh.

This sounds less like babytalk and more like... someone with a speech impediment. Worse, it's kind of a pain to read. Words, people.

What we wanted is something obvious and distinctive, that can manifest in almost all of her lines, and yet is unintrusive when reading.

So along comes the "w" routine. "R" is one of the harder consonants to pronounce correctly at the beginning of syllables as it is - even English-speaking adults get tripped up trying to get the hang of the "rolling" R sound. Even the hard R sound is basically just a slightly altered pronunciation of the even more impactful W sound.

To be perfectly truthful, though... all of this occurred to me after I started thinking about "rabbits" and "speech impediments" and almost immediately floated off to "Be vewwy vewwy qwiet! I'm hunting wabbits!" Bingo.

As luck would have it, the same thing that causes those infants not yet fully versed in speech to have trouble with Rs can also be applied to certain L and V sounds, and turns all of these into Ws too. So it can be applied to lots of different words!

The caveat, as always, is readability. For this reason, while quite prevalent, I quite deliberately made Usami's speech a little inconsistent (Saying this also excuses me from any accidental inconsistencies you may find! There are a few!). The idea is, she only W-ifies words she's emphasizing - typically key phrases or other focal words in sentences - but otherwise speaks normally.

The result of all this is a speaking manner that very definitely carries across Usami's mascot-like demeanour but in a way that's a lot less likely to get irritating (and ruin the readability of otherwise perfectly good sentences) than W-ifying every eligible word in every line.

Anyway, once this idea occurred to me, it was pretty easy to codify and apply. And, once I realized it would enable the line "It's a wuvly, wuvly animal with fwuffy, fwuffy fur!" and the horrifyingly dissonant pronunciation of "kiwwing", the deal was as good as sealed.

Now, an anecdote!

orenronen posted:

Where...? It's obwious, isn't it...?

Somewhere! Beyond the sea!

Can’t you see?!

Originally, Usami performs the first line of Ryuuha Hayashi and Takeshi Inoue’s classic government-approved kindergarden song “Umi” (“Sea”) to explain to our cast where they are. It goes, “The sea is wide! The sea is large!”

As explained, originally, Usami did her little song reference and then said "You know! That thing!". It was kinda cute, I guess? Anyway, I figured it'd be nice to do something similar in English, but, what song to reference? The immediate and overwhelming temptation was to do something involving Under the Sea. As much as it's guaranteed to be immediately understood as a reference, though, it's kinda impossible to properly tie in to the sentiment of "we are currently at the seaside". So it's out. And once that was out... there wasn't very much left. Also, I can't speak for the English-speaking world outside of England, but over here, we don't really have "government sanctioned kindergarten songs nursery rhymes"... the government has stayed the hell away from dabbling in children's songs since 2000, after their last attempt became something of a running joke that just won't die. There are songs about the sea, but none that I can count on being sufficiently well-known to justify referencing.

Eventually, I settled on a line that can either be read as Usami being deliberately annoying ("where are we?" "somewhere!") or as a reference to Somewhere Beyond the Sea, which enjoys a measure of mindshare in today's gaming generation due to being featured in and in association with 2007's BioShock. Plus there's the whole sea/see thing, which, honestly, was an accident. Trust me - when I start deliberately making puns, you'll know.

Next time: There'll be charcterization! I swear!

Fedule fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 16, 2012

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Dragoon Cody posted:

If I can make a suggestion, more warning that a Youtube video is going to contain interesting stuff that isn't in the update itself would be helpful. I don't usually click the videos because listening to characters talk in Japanese while I read the same thing in English isn't really my thing, but after the update people started talking about how some video introduced all of the characters and I had to scramble back to find it.

It's stated pretty unambiguously in the OP that all videos that aren't trial coverage are required viewing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Dragonatrix posted:

Not even this? It immediately came to mind for me, at least.

There's always something.

I've never heard it, though. Clearly my pre-school educators were woefully inadequate.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I see the original fanart parade is off to one hell of a start.

Proceed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

CommissarMega posted:

Also, would it help to reduce clutter if we confined all speculation to the Dangan-Ronpa thread in Games? It would certainly help weed out those too :effort: to switch between forums (though I doubt there are many of those, especially with this subject matter); I don't recall a lot of spoiler-related stuff in there, at least now that we've started on the sequel and the first game is done.

I fear not. For one, the General thread allows spoilers, so already you've lost equal footing. There's a very good reason threads like this have a blanket ban on all spoilers - even when the individual details are kept obscured (and making the admittedly dangerous assumption that no one will slip up, ever), it just isn't fair to have discussions with people who know the plot with people who don't.

People, please. This isn't difficult. All you have to do is make sure that your post adds something to the ongoing discussion.

The wise man speaks because there is something he must say.
The foolish man speaks because he must say something.
The probated man spoke because, guys, he was totally pumped for Dangan Ronpa 2.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kytrarewn posted:

Serious question for translation chat with Orenronen/Fedule- How did you happen to decide on "target" for the targeting circle, rather then "reticule" or "cursor"?

It was a serious and deliberate and extremely well justified decision and absolutely not a total oversight which is now being corrected. At all. Good on you for possessing the necessary skills to perceive my immaculate reasoning process!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Episode the Third

The latest update gives us a better look at how Hinata thinks, as well as how he speaks.

quote:

A crystal clear blue sea... Essential to any island paradise.

Not that I'm impressed or anything.

It's not like I ever really wanted to visit such a place myself.

Kinda says it all, doesn't it? Now that Hinata's got a minute to himself, he's reverted back to what I believe has already been described as his typical teenager persona; grumpy, a bit snarky, and kinda annoyed with everything - although not entirely to the exclusion of any situational awareness. The boy is not a moron. He just complains a lot.

Related:

quote:

I mean, is "Good Luck" even really a “talent”?
Surely, just having a lottery ensures... Nevermind. It's a mystery. Leave it at that.

This is me being ballsy again. Hinata doesn't originally make any reference to the fallacy of testing for superior luck by holding a lottery, and remarks only that the entire idea of SHSL Good Luck is a mystery. But I thought it'd be nice to have the dialogue focus on something other than repeatedly hitting you over the head with the suggestion that Nagito is Naegi for a line or two. Plus, said fallacy is exactly the kind of thing that a perceptive-but-negative person like Hinata would immediately notice, because it's a perfectly valid grounds to complain!

quote:

...Hey, are you listening?

Oren! :argh:

(this used to be replaced with the line "...Not... really...", which I thought was hilarious.)

Anyway.

Naegi Nagito here is pretty much the least of my concerns. He is, as Hinata says, "a bit wishy washy", and his speech is plain, if a little overlong at times. Since he's tagging along with us, we'll get to know a bit more about him as we go introduce ourselves to characters whose lines require a bit more effort.

Next time: If you think I'm overly self-satisfied now...

Fedule fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 16, 2012

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

slowbeef posted:

One for orenronen and Fedule:

In Japanese, does Usami come across... annoying?

This baby talk thing is getting on my nerves a little, and I'm starting to dislike the character. If it's not intentional, maybe it could be dialed back? Like these two lines:

"Aww, did I startle you? I'm vewy sowwy."

"Tee-hee... I'm not ashamed of apowogies. They're vewy impawtant!"

As you said in the previous editorial anecdote, you're not doing it everywhere (see: startle), so can't it just be "very sowwy" or "vewy sorry"? Or one of the 3 times you did it in the second sentence?

It could just be me, and you're both doing good with the work all in all, but I feel like you're laying it on a little thick with Usami.

It's a delicate balancing act, to be sure. Her speech needs to be consistent... but not offputting to read (even if she is supposed to be slightly annoying herself).

Her habit in Japanese affects pretty much every line she has... but only at the end. So it's not inconceivable that I might have been overdoing it. The question is this: Is Usami speaking like that deliberately? Because if she is, then I've got leave to have her only do the "w" thing on words she's emphasizing. So, in your case, she could correctly pronounce "very" before "sowwy", but still maintain her "fwuffy bunny wabbit" line from earlier, because she's deliberately varying her speech.

The early DR1 updates changed a lot as the characters came more into focus: I'm not averse to doing the same here.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

HMS Boromir posted:

Here we hit what I feel is the biggest problem in using this sort of phonetic writing to represent a speech mannerism or impediment - "paw" and the "por" in important have a very different vowel sound when I say them. I could see them being the same in, say, British English, but I can't be the only one who finds "impawtant" really distracting for that reason, can I?

Some guy once said some things about plans and contact with the enemy that're very applicable here. Not that I consider you all the enemy.

Between that and what Rith said above I'm inclined to put this on "the list".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Operation Tone-Down-Usami's-Speech-While-Maintaining-Character-And-Consistency is beginning the R&D phase. We present our current prototype. We request feedback.

quote:

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

It's an Ewectwonic Student Handbook!
...Uwah!!
H...Hey, how... Where the hell did you come from?!

Aww, did I startle you? I'm so sowwy.

Tee-hee... I'm not ashamed of apologies. They're vewy important!

...By the way, isn't that thing so cool? Isn’t it?
It's a cwucial part of this field twip, so pweeease don't lose it!
...This device is... important?

My task for everyone is to use this Ewectwonic Student Handbook and gather "Hope Shards"!

...Hope Shards?

You see, when you deepen your bonds with your classmates on this island, you acquire "Hope Shards".
The more you get along with everyone, the more "Hope Shards" you gather.
I want you to gather as many "Hope Shards" as you can, and bring your Hope flower into bwoom...
That’s the goal of this field twip!

Wuv! Wuv!!

The idea here is that rather than a speech impediment as such, Usami speaks like this on purpose, and as such can turn it off and on in accordance with... whatever her priorities are. Key Phrases, like Ewectwonic Student Handbook, and (I guess) "field twip", get the tweatment. Also, if she's emphasizing a word - like with "bwoom" up there*, it gets the tweatment. Otherwise, she's quite capable of speaking normally.

*I also altered the phrasing of this line to make the intended word "bloom" more obvious in context

(Since focal words are likely to come towards the end of sentences, this would also make her character a tiny bit more ~true to the spirit of the original work~.

Basically, when it gets laid on thick, it's because she's laying it on thick herself. So, even if she retroactively gains the ability to speak with perfect clarity, she's still going to throw out her "vewy wuvly animal with fwuffy fwuffy fur!" line and her "wuv! wuv!" routine.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Hokuto posted:

For what it's worth, I think you're nailing the intended vibe perfectly. The character is supposed to be overly saccharine, and the "paw" thing in the middle of its dialogue was cute. Every localization has its fair share of arbitrary criticisms of whatever stands out, not to mention suggestions that wouldn't actually improve the final product. I think you can lump the complaints about "Too many Ws" into this category.

Oh, believe me, I have seen arbitrary criticisms of this translation.

You are not they.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Alright, I think we've heard enough.

We're not going to change how Usami speaks. The idea was simply to look into the merits of dialing it back a bit - which, it seems, are many! Certainly the proposed change has gone over well.

Now, the real question is whether to retcon the last Anecdote.

E: Don't answer that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Sccountay posted:

It's for the best that it was reverted, honestly. Yes, it would have been hilarious. And yes, in anything else people would have loved it. The problem is that the kind of snark you're trying to instill into the main character is rare in japanese media. We're talking Kyon dialed to 11 here. Possibly more. That line would have felt really weird coming from Hinata.

Though I'll say it would have done a great job of introducing his personality. If that's his personality. Is he the deadpan, snarky kinda guy?.

Yes.

His first reaction to Nagito is to tell him to leave him alone. In fact, that was Oren's change! My version had him say "Just... give me a minute, will you?", which I had intended to give the impression less of rudeness and more of irritation (IE, he'd normally show some manners but for christ's sake I just woke up after seeing some weird poo poo and the sun is right in my eyes and good god will you just shut up already-). But as is, he goes straight to rude.

(If only Kyon were in this game, though...)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Put it this way: In Japanese, you can insult people with grammar in a single sentence. To do the equivalent in English requires at least a short conversation. It is inevitable that details - like first-person pronouns - will get lost in translation because they just don't exist in English. So something needs to be added to compensate.

As I see it, the "intent" at any given point is less a matter of specifics about speaking style and word choice and more about establishing things - in this case, we're establishing characters (later we'll be establishing facts pertinent to a murder (which may include more characterization)). So, in the first half of that update, the intent is to convey that:
  • Hinata is confused and irritable
  • Nagito is well-meaning but a little overbearing
  • Nagito is awfully familiar seeming, isn't he?
  • Nagito is accepting but Hinata is skeptical

Everything else is just details, really. This is the stuff that should be getting across to you in the script, without having to read any of the notes.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
OK guys, maybe we ought t-

slowbeef posted:

Why don't we shelve the conversation until we get another update and can point to specific aspects of the updates? We can argue abstractly about transliteration vs. localization and translator notes for at least 100 more pages and get nowhere.

-yeah, what he said. You're good po-lice, slowbeef.

For what it's worth, I plan to continue with Anecdotes as they are now, although I won't always have one for every update because come on - but for now, at least, there's a lot to talk about (and, personally, I'd rather do it now than when we're in the middle of plot-bombs and murder).

Shoopuf posted:

Here's a request: could anyone who has played the game before (and thus not fear spoilers) perhaps find a version of Monomi's Practice Lesson and put it on Endless Video for me? It turns out that this track is the perfect thing for chores and to have it going infinitely while I work would be awesome.

Endless Video? Good god, man, you need to think bigger. Here is Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson as performed by Infinite Jukebox - a fascinating piece of machinery that takes your song and creates not just a dumb loop but an actual, varying, infinite mix. It's wonderful.

The downside is that it requires either Chrome or Safari to run due to super advanced magical audio stuff, but, good god, is it worth it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Waffleman_ posted:

Pretty sure it's referring to the suspicions that his name is a reference to the anime series.

This is correct.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

BliShem posted:

Fedule, translation integrity be damned, please name one of the hamsters Boo! A miniature giant space hamster trumps any god of destruction.

That's great, except the hamsters already have names (theme names!), and I'm pretty sure my awesome editorial powers only go so far.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Episode the Fourth

Finally! Characters!

At the time of writing this, I have been over dialogue for all of the students, so I can say - with a degree of actual authority - that Souda is the character with whose dialogue I am the happiest. His "voice", so to speak, feels... complete.

I couldn't resist adding a dash of stereotypical car-mechanic style to his speech. You may know the kind of mechanic I mean; the kind that does that thing where they suck in air through their teeth before rattling off a massive list of faults and an absurd price for repairs. Accordingly, "my" Souda can rapidfire information in short sentences composed of colloquialisms and words that he's contracted just so he can get them out of his mouth faster. He means well though. I think.

Gundam, on the other hand, is the character whose dialogue I had the most fun rewriting (maybe the second-most. Not sure). In the first draft of this update, his dialogue was literally translated and flat because Oren wanted to "see what I could come up with". The notes simply said "supervillian-style". I love supervillian speech. Maniacal laughter, too (Did you know that there's a Wikipedia page for Evil Laughter?). So, I, uh, came up with something. I hope you like it!

quote:

He’s just like our very own Dr. Dolittle. Just what you’d expect from a "Super High-school Level Animal Breeder"...

I would like to quickly apologize to those affected by the scattered environmental disturbances and power outages across western Europe this morning; these were unfortunate side-effects of the Ultimate Final Showdown between Oren and myself that was the culmination of our dispute over this line. Fortunately, it looks like there were no casualties... except some amazing dialogue.

Ah well. Nothing I can do except harbour a bitter grudge forever. This, I swear, Oren - I will return! And I will make it my personal mission to undo your every accomplishment! move on and laugh about it.

As noted, Nagito's first sentence there was originally something like "It's just like the Mutsugoro Kingdom!", which we both agreed required a localization. This was followed by some brief brainstorming that ended up wondering whether this could be worked into a Steve Irwin reference of some kind (him being a fellow celebrity animal specialist). "He's like the Hamster Hunter or something! Crikey!" or something. It was something, but it wasn't really that great and sounded kinda forced. So, I slept on it. And lo, God himself (or someone with an awfully God-like aptitude for dialogue) came to me in my sleep, and bestowed upon me a single sheet of parchment, on which was written the words: Eventually, the following occurred to me:

God (allegedly) posted:

Yeah... he talks like Doctor Doom, but he's really more like Dr Dolittle. He's a "Super High-school Level Animal Breeder"...

And thereafter, everything was perfect, until that interfering meddler orenronen came along and changed it, shouting something about how a Marvel Comics reference would be out of place here and Nagito wouldn't make as specific a cutting jibe as that at a fellow student, and some other stuff. Can you imagine?! He edited me!! The nerve! This then became my preferred option for the line, but Oren was against specifically referencing Doctor Doom due to the disparity of having a western comic reference in a Japanese game (that is not being re-"set" (a la Phoenix Wright's "Japanifornia")) and on grounds of it being too uncharacteristic for Nagito. Our epic showdown discussion ensued, and, basically, he was as against it as I was for it. At this point, my options were to either:
  1. Stubbornly continue arguing on the internet about how this specific western comic book villian isn't a jarring reference coming from this specific character in this Japanese videogame and how ~my humour~ is sufficiently funny that readers will forgive it even if it is a little jarring
  2. Not do that
I chose to cut my losses and concede the point. For now. I will bide my time, and mourn the loss of my beloved dialogue line - I will let my pain and anger temper my mind, my skills, my very soul, until the time I may return and do away with that meddling fool orenronen FOR GOOD! AAAAHAHAHAHA-

Next time: Something else!

Fedule fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 16, 2012

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Fedule, I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, because I do enjoy this LP so far as well as reading about the process, but can we maybe tone down the dramatic accounts of you and Oren locked in ideological mortal combat? It was funny the first time but I foresee it losing it's charm before long at this rate :shobon:

Be assured that it was a one time gimmick in honour of the introduction of Gundam Tanaka.

Also, I really liked that line.

(I mean, I get why it went, but I'm still sad.)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

The Devil Tesla posted:

I think the bigger problem is that it changes the joke. With the Doctor Doom part Nagito reacts to how silly Gundam is. It's funnier (at least to me) and apparently closer to the original intention when Nagito compares him to a such a family friendly character.

Beyond that, the Dolittle comparison, in isolation, is a compliment. But the same Dolittle comparison, immediately after the Doom comparison, instead comes across as a put-down.

Really, as much as I joke about having a supervillian style meltdown over the supression of ~my humour~, it was a pretty sensible decision.

...but I really liked that line!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Wow, it suddenly got a bit uncomfortable in here!

slowbeef posted:

I think it's a good idea in general, but right now the commentary's too vague. It's so vague, it doesn't add anything because I don't know what the hell he's referring to half the time. I'm fine with Fedule encountering Nagito and giving his interpretation of things, but:

"Are they... are they really doing that?"
"Wow, they really are."
"I can't believe this."

Just aren't really communicating what he's thinking about it. (Those were paraphrased examples; here's some more specific stuff.)

And here's The Problem, really. I'm trying to be unintrusive... but if, in doing so, I end up being confusingly vague, then I'm really just getting more in the way.

An attempt to respond in any detail to each of the points you and everyone else has made would end in madness and shitposting, but let me say this: You've (all) got points. I think I'll make a few expansions to my lines the Nagito update and the Gundam update, and rethink the "plan" going forward.

Also:

slowbeef posted:

edit: I feel like a bit of a dick since I've done nothing but criticize you so far. I think you're both doing fine, and it's hard to compliment either one of you, since it's hard to know who's writing what. I like your editorial notes a lot, and I hope I'm not coming across as some know-it-all wannabe writer type.

The Doom/Dolittle line was very good.

I've said this before: I have seen arbitrary criticism of both this LP generally and my involvement specifically, and this is not it. You (all) are honest, well-reasoned, and informed. In fact, you're helpful. So thanks!

Finally: A clarification: There'll be editorial notes for the character introduction updates (since they're a nice obvious place to comment on speaking style), and thereafter... less, I expect.

Now let's get back to talking about Dangan Ronpa Zero. Is it me, or does Hope's Peak Academy seem to have a lot more... buildings... than before?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Nipponophile posted:

That DR0 update reminded me of a post I saw in A/T some while ago by a guy whose friend had a similar memory condition. He had suffered brain damage in a car wreck, and the part of his brain that was responsible for transferring things from short-term to long-term memory wasn't working right. The description of behavior was very similar, down to the feelings of anxiety when he suddenly forgot what he was doing and the notebook he kept to remind him of important details.

Unfortunately, my long-term memory is failing me as to when it was posted, but if someone has a way of searching archives, it was a fascinating read. I just wanted to mention this because the concept seems like such a bizarre sci-fi concept that would fit in with the rest of DR's over the top craziness, but it's an actual real world thing. Sometimes truth is exactly as strange as fiction.

Yes, this is Anterograde Amnesia and is a thing. Most people know it as "that condition that the guy from Mememto had".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Episode the Fifth

Today on Anecdotes: Extremes!

Not every character in Dangan Ronpa 2 has a bizarre speaking habit or style. Take Mikan Tsumiki, for example. I'm pretty sure that not a single line of her dialogue has been changed from the first draft. For all her stuttering and apologizing, none of her lines - so far, anyway - are reliant on anything that can't be directly translated.

Ibuki, on the other hand... well.

quote:

Looking looking looking♪ Looking over here♪ Looking looking --
--Look! It’s - hey! I don’t know you!

What's funny is that this is actually a pretty literal translation... except the joke has been changed because Ibuki's original line is based on about three different quirks of which two have no particularly good equivalents in English.

What she actually says is, "Chira! Chira!", followed by "...Konnichira!". "Chira" is an onomatopoeia meaning something like "glance".

:thejoke: number one is that she's calling her own actions, literally looking at Hinata and going "glance!" "glance!"
:thejoke: number two is that she portmanteaus this into "Konnichiwa", which of course is a greeting.
:thejoke: number three is that Ibuki is being her usual slightly hyperactive, slightly absentminded self.

Fortunately, while narrating ones own actions generally always sounds pretty silly, singing to oneself is actually a thing that some actual people actually do, and wouldn't you know it, the girl happens to be a musician, so I guess this actually works out pretty tidily!

It's funny because I was trying to interpret this line "liberally", and it kinda got more and more "liberal" until it looped back around and became sort of literal.

:thejoke:

For most characters, I could just tell you "this character speaks like ________ and has ________ quirk(s)" and be done with it. Ibuki, however, is probably going to have to be handled on a case by case basis.

...Oh, right. Ibuki speaks very energetically, habitually refers to herself in the third person, and says "huh" a lot, often followed by an interrobang.

Next time: Surprisingly little.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Zenostein posted:

Do they actually use an interrobang? That's some oddly obscure punctuation for a videogame to use.

Well, not literally. It's just a ?!. I don't doubt, however, that if anyone on this island can actually use an actual interrobang character in speech, it's Ibuki.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

And I get the feeling "Gangster" was Fedules idea? I would have imagined Kuzuryuu's title being "Super High School Level Yakuza" myself.

Actually, no. It was like that when I got here!

In fact, I haven't changed any of the titles, at all. The closest I got was one time I said to Oren "maybe there's a better phrase for [this one student]", and then the next time it came up it had been changed to something better. But even then, it wasn't me who did the changing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Please be advised: We have heard enough about "boke". Thanks!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Episode the Sixth

Three characters, and hardly a thing to say about any of them.

I think Nidai can speak for himself.

Kuzuryuu really likes insulting people. His weapon of choice is "boke" - literally "retard", but used in a manner that kinda acts as a catch-all for "I am presently insulting your intelligence". My dream is that at some point he'll have a Leon Kuwata-style breakdown and I'll get to find out how many different profanities I can string into a sentence while maintaining coherence. I love a challenge.

Koizumi is relentlessly normal.

Instead of talking about them, though, let's talk about how you communicate the meaning of a word in a foreign language in a work that is being translated from that language but makes a point of the said word being in its original language and assumes the characters understand it.

The answer is, "somehow".

quote:

...But I guess we get to stay in the future after all! Heh... get it? ‘Cause “Mirai” means --

As luck would have it, Nagito just so happened to be talking about camping (and his relief at not having to partake in such), and just so happened to pick this exact moment to transition from one of his somewhat serious poses to his wisecracking one, and just so happened to already have a little dynamic going on where he acts laid back and Hinata calls him on it. And it just so happens that I like puns.

The real joke here is that (assuming you don't know that "Mirai" = "Future") you don't get the joke until the fact that it's a joke is pointed out and you're invited to figure the joke out retrospectively and that's the joke, and I think there's an Inception joke in here somewhere but I don't know quite where.

Anyway, it was either that, or have a translation note. Oren says we're to avoid those at all costs.

Next time: Less.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Skunkrocker posted:

I've heard fleeting rumors of an english fan translation based on Oren's work here,

Rumours? It was officially announced in the last thread.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
That was a pretty interesting interview! For what it's worth, I thought Mondo's lines were alright, really, although now you mention it I'm not really sure what else I might have expected - but his lines worked!

Unrelated: it would seem that someone has bought me a Christmas present.

This... will serve, yes.

I can't guarantee it won't get overwritten later. But I can guarantee that I'd slightly regret doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

SingerOfW posted:

I suppose that Hajime's reply should echo Sonia's statement; that "Happy" kinda comes out of nowhere.

Oops.

• Locked thread