Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
It was discussed a page or so ago, but I really hope Monomi/Usami turns out to be an A.I. created by Alter Ego, mostly because Alter Ego was adorable and I want it to come back :(

More recently, though, is it ever explicitly stated where Hope's Peak Academy is located in Japan? I wonder if the World's Most Despair-Inducing Event could have possibly caused the area to flood and created what the kids think is Jabberwock Island. That would certainly explain the overgrown school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

I think Koizumi needs some serious character development if she wants to survive, but to be honest I didn't really expect Hagekure to make it to the end of the game either, so...

I wonder if Peko and Nidai having the shits in the middle of Togami's party is going to come up again? It's one thing if only one of them really had to crap, but both of them needing to do it simultaneously is kind of weird. Maybe Nidai shared some bad protein shakes with her.

edit:

likecnsnnts posted:

Let me ask y'all goons about game design-- re: last update's minigame, specifically.

Do you penalize a game for optional, extra content, if it is poorly implemented?

Nah, I wouldn't criticize the game for it. It's a nice diversion from the murder mystery and maybe I just didn't get how terrible it was from watching, but for ten minutes at a time I think it's perfectly fine.

tentawesome fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 7, 2013

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Tomn posted:

So I just noticed that Nidai has a tiny little whistle stuck on that chain around his neck. Maybe this isn't news to others, but it's news to me.

Also, poor Togami. He spent the whole of the first game being disliked by most everybody, and only now, after a heroic sacrifice, is he appreciated and liked as a person. :smith:

To be fair, he was an insufferable rear end in a top hat until the very end of DR1. I do like that he had some pretty striking character development for the short time he was with us here, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of his free time events when we're done with the game.

I'm guessing that Komoaeda is going to be the next victim. If he's been tied up and left alone overnight...

E: Although I do hope he sticks around, his loving with the murder scenes and debates is going to be fantastic and make things a little less predictable, I think.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Pamper the poo poo out of our tamagotchi.

So if someone kills one of the Dark Gods, would that result in a school trial? I mean besides when Gundam inevitably murders whoever he thinks did it. Because that would be hilarious and Dangan Ronpa is a learning game, dammit, and we need to know more about the life cycle of hamsters.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Antoinette posted:

This is funny! I wonder if it might be true. Sports games are such a different genre that I wouldn't be surprised if she sucked at them.

I am pretty sure the joke was that she's not good at actual sports.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Color Printer posted:

For a second, when I saw "Dangan Ronpa" on there I was worried that it really was Dangan Ronpa 1, and that we were about to go straight down the meta rabbit hole. Thankfully that's not the case.

This is exactly what I thought was going to happen too, except I was really excited and hoping that it was exactly that. That said, I think the game is going to reveal some stuff about the outside world and possibly even the events of DR1, since that's the only way I can imagine it would give the characters motivation. Or maybe it'll reveal some of the missing memories of the specific character playing it?

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Yeah, I'm just not interested in Owari's character at all. She's basically got Asahina's gimmick without even being a nice person, but I do think it's interesting how she doesn't seem to care about the murder competition at all. Hopefully once things get a little further on she'll have more going for her, but for now I'd rather focus on free time events with characters that we know are going to have something good to say.

Also jesus Komoeada is a creeper. I'm hoping they let him off his leash soon so he can continue to gently caress poo poo up, although presumably he'll be allowed to participate in the next trial.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

I'm betting he'll be telling the truth in one of the trials (maybe something that clears Hinata of the murder?), and you'll have to spend the entire thing convincing everyone he's not full of poo poo.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

I don't know that she's even supposed to be narcoleptic, I thought it was just that she stays up too late playing video games so she falls asleep during the day.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

I love Nagito too, it's okay.

I like almost all of the characters except for Owari, but I do understand a lot of the criticism the cast is getting - but I think maybe the game just needs a little more time to set them up. After all, Ishida and Yamada were completely one-dimensional characters, but the game made them entertaining once they got to their featured chapter. We've only even had one murder so it's not like the game's even had that much time to make much out of the cast.

e: I just find her incredibly boring. "likes to fight" and "eats a lot of food" isn't really that interesting when we have a kid who kills crustaceans for fun and a princess that loves serial killers. I think she'll probably get fleshed out sooner or later, especially since we had that fighting scene with Nidai, but for now I'm not interested in her.

tentawesome fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 8, 2013

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

I seriously doubt Kuzuryuu is our serial killer; if he got his memory restored for beating the game (as someone else suggested was the prize) though he might know who on the island is Kirakira-chan, so if he did kill Koizumi as revenge for his sister's murder then he is probably trying to pin the blame on the serial killer like Togami did in DR1.

As interesting as I thought the theory of Saionji and Kuzuryuu being siblings was, it's pretty obvious now that's not true. There's no reason for people to keep barking up that tree.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Bean posted:

But F-Suke could be Kuzuryuu's brother is what the poster is saying, leaving Kuzuryuu uninvolved.

Only if Kuzuryuu has a younger brother, which would mean either he and his sister are twins or the younger brother and sister are twins and they have... all been accepted to Hope's Peak. He's stated he's the heir to the family and that his sister is next in line after him. I guess it's possible there's a third sibling and it's not like this game is entirely realistic, but that doesn't seem terribly clever for this game if Kuzuryuu is just a red herring.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Some evidence bullets will be used to prove someone's innocence, and others will reveal the culprit's identity. However, all of the bullets will be used. Unfortunately, it looks like the evidence gathering phase is coming to an end, and there is no telling what new evidence will be introduced during the trial.

Actually, it looks like Hinata's going to head off to interrogate all of the "stars" of the video game. We'll probably get a few testimony evidence bullets out of that. I'm interested in whether or not the other girls played and what they think about it.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Knicknevin posted:

Seems kind of convenient that the killer made a clean getaway because of circumstances outside of their own actions or control though. So I don't really like the idea.

They were making a pretty big deal out of the fact that Hinata and Souda personally viewed everyone passing the burger joint. Souda - or one of the other girls - definitely would've said something if anyone had passed while they were too busy gawking.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

I want Fatogami to still be the original. He had some great character development between the two games.

We haven't had an update on DR:0 recently, but I was reading through the older chapters and something occurred to me. The pervy little kid implies that the "study abroad" trip the class went on was just a cover for them all being brutally murdered, but is it possible that our DR2 kids are the ones that are supposed to be dead? I guess speculation on this point isn't really that productive until we have the whole novel finished, but it was just a thought I had since all of the students think they're in a different country.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

This isn't really relevant to the current discussion, but something I'm wondering is if Sonia actually has any relationship with the other characters. She wasn't featured in the video game, and she's an exchange student - typically they'd only stay at the school for a year, right? She would have a good excuse to be there without any ties being revealed to the other characters, so it's possible she might be the student that snuck in.

Which means we have no idea how Fatogami got there if he's not the extra student, but...

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

I kind of like the theory that Akane just headbutted her to death. There's a blood trail and Koizumi's against the door because it launched her through the air.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

I'd been thinking about this for a while, but I just realized while looking through the previous evidence than it couldn't have been Saionji in the closet.

quote:

Evidence Bullet Get posted:
Bag of Gummies

A stockpile of fruit-flavored gummies was found in Saionji's cottage. Each bag contains a mix of strawberry, melon, grape and orange-flavored gummies.

The gummy found in the closet was lemon-flavored, which aren't in the package. Saionji was obviously there to talk to Koizumi about something (maybe to discuss their involvement in Twilight Syndrome?) but she wasn't hiding to startle her. My bet is that Koizumi finally told her off for being such an awful person and that's why she ran off crying.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

I know Nagito claims to have been untied by Monomi and not until after the crime happened, but isn't it possible that he is lying and he helped the suspect get out of the beach house? I can't figure out how else the murderer escaped, to be honest, since none of the other characters seem likely to be badgered into helping with a murder. I suppose Mikan could've been bullied into it, but there's no way to place her at the beach house at that time.

It really is looking like Peko is the murderer, though, which makes me terribly sad. She seems pretty cool, untimely shits aside.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

lambj3 posted:

The only other thing I can think of is that Kuzuryuu pulled Koizumi to the tunnel side door as he exited through it. But then again, it says that Koizumi was crawling (do we know if that's definite?). But that would still mean that Peko had to get out by herself.

According to Tsukimi, Koizumi died instantly. Someone would have had to position her, so the fact that you couldn't get out from that door is vital to the killer's plan.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Kangra posted:

The half-theory is that Kuzuryuu is an unwitting accomplice. You can almost piece together a scenario in which [Peko/killer] calls to him for help to escape the "killer" who is in the closet and they have to escape out the window. That's really out there and seems full of holes, though.

I really like this, but I think it's the other way around. I think Peko was the murderer, and that she had Kuzuryuu help her escape (which is why the both of them are so certain that Saionji is the killer). I know everyone's really sure he killed Satou in the real life version of Twilight Mystery, but I feel like all of his bravado is more a bluff.

edit: VV reminds me that Tsukimi was hanging out in the pharmacy the day before the murder. I doubt she (or anyone) is Kira-Kira, but the fact that Saionji was drugged without any seriously negative side effects does make her look pretty guilty, and I could see Peko or Kuzuryuu helping her escape the "murderer" Saionji. That messes up the witness order, though, if it's not Kuzuryuu; that would be four witnesses instead of three.

tentawesome fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 23, 2013

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

I just think it's funny that the thread had so many people questioning the witness rule only for the game to immediately address it.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

This is not the end. They have completely neglected the fact that Monobear clearly said, for the sake of this murder, the killer finding the body does not count. We need three for the announcement. We have Saionji, and then we have Souda. We have a missing findee. I kept expecting during the piece together phase, the voting, the end of the vote itself, for someone to crash into the scene like they've done before to point this out, and I fully expect someone to open the next update doing just that.

Is our third witness not Kuzuryuu?

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know, I didn't think about it until just now but it's rather odd for Sonia to get drowned out like that.

Up until now, she's been speaking with a relatively authoritative air that practically caused everyone to stop and listen to her every word.

I think she's just nervous / uncertain because all of the batshit crazy stuff going on. Usually she's the one saying weird stuff.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not sure if there's any real evidence to support it, but it seems like it would be an interesting twist if Hinata were a Super High School Level Despair.

I think someone suggested earlier that all of the students were Super High School Level Despair and that Monomi was attempting to reform them (since we still don't know what the friendship crystals are for, besides going home once someone collects them all). I like this theory a lot, especially considering the fact half the cast was apparently involved in a previous murder case.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

I am really glad I took Oren's advice and sat through the whole song before continuing on. If Ibuki dies, I hope we get to raid her room for demo tapes.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think we're missing the real problem, how will anyone suspend their disbelief if Nidai dies from anything normal now?

No lie, if Nidai dies like the kid from A Separate Peace (breaking his leg and having the lovely school doctor send bone marrow to his heart) I would die of laughter.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

It's cool that confirms Naegi's family (well, at least his sister) is still alive, and that even if DR2 punks us on the reality of MonoWorld again we'll finally figure out what's so terrible about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

It's a spoiler if you didn't read DR1, I guess, that Naegi thinks his family is probably dead?

• Locked thread