Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Finally caught up with the first LP in one whole week-long go (holyshitfuckawesome) and now I'm ready to read along with this one, too. You're awesome for doing this, orenronen, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :allears: Oh, and you too, Fedule. I'm really liking the translation in this one already.

slowbeef posted:

Getting the iOS app is easy, though I had trouble paying for the full version.

Out of curiousity, do you actually need to get ahold of a Japanese iTunes gift card to get the full version or is adding currency online...relatively painless? I guess what I'm asking is how much trouble is "trouble"?

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Overlord K posted:

Oh boy, a SHSL Gamer. :allears:

I hope she makes all kinds of old video game references down the line. After all the stuff Yamada said in the first game, I will be disappointed if she doesn't drop some obscure ones here and there.

Somebody has to carry on the tradition of making references of varying obscurity. :colbert: Even though my favorite reference from DR1 (The Dragonlord DQ1 reference) wasn't actually from Yamada.

Also that old lodge is totally not suspicious at all and in no way will ever play a part in the game.

EDIT: All those consoles in Chiaki's art :stare:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

orenronen posted:

For example, if I tell her the lower part of my body got swollen by poison, and ask her to suck it out with her mouth...
I'm afraid that this is exactly what it sounds like. :gonk:

I thought he was sort of adorable and then he had to go and open his big mouth :v:

Son Conan posted:

I don't really have anything to say about Sonia, other than the fact that when I read her dialogue, I hear Starfire from the Teen Titans cartoon.

That's who I was thinking of! I was reading her dialogue and going "This reminds me of someone, but who?"

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

We're not even in Chapter 1 yet anyway (I think?); this is just the Introduction or Prologue or whatever.

So it's time for half the cast to die before the game even begins proper. :getin:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

EDIT: fine, whatever, but I still think it's the tiniest littlest spoiler that 90% of speculation would include.

EDIT again: Also not reading the thread is probably a good idea anyway, I was just addressing that one thing but again it doesn't really matter

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 31, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Also the parallels between the two games just pile up. A "motive" to become friends? Should have seen that coming.

Also:

quote:

Those five islands are represented by five scared animals.

I think you mean sacred.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

The sudden environmental switch while Hinata reached the verge of flipping out reminded me of this:

Add to that the emphasis on 'video games' that someone else mentioned, as well as the twisted versions of the DR1 cast, and the simulation theory suddenly seems a lot more credible. I don't think Spike would pull something like that though; it would cheapen any inevitable deaths, unless there's some other twist involved.

Or maybe the thing in the first update was just a corrupted video someone was watching of Hinata. (Still going with our protagonist being a SHSL Fake)

It's supposed to represent his memory being altered. It's more...er, obvious? than the previous game, but there is a thing to note: we saw Hinata actually enter the classroom, but not why it happened. Nobody else actually remembers entering the classroom. I don't think the memory altering here is perfect.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Also, what's V-Cinema, if I may ask? Would I spoil myself if I Google it?

Japanese direct-to-video industry.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

IceMateria posted:

Oren, would it be considered a spoiler to make a post with information from [A THING]

Considering the existence of this very thing was sort of a spoiler (that's what I gathered from earlier in the thread, at least) I'm going to guess no?

EDIT: no you can't, not no not a spoiler, I'm stupid and can't type words

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 28, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Conro101 posted:

Aww, Togami really cares this time around.

On the one hand he's totally gonna loving die/kill/whatever. On the other hand, there's no way they're getting rid of him without first explaining if there's any relation to Togami from the first game...

...right? :ohdear:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Coach isn't the judge, major disappointment. Tsk tsk.

Just kidding, all this art is pretty amazing. Never stop.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I think it's pretty obvious that the fantastic party is gonna be crashed by their gracious headmaster. They aren't aware of his predilection for showing up wherever, whenever the hell he wants.

Either that or it'll become.....a midnight murder mystery dinner theater! :getin:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Let's see, here. "Take... the... hint... and... stop... asking... about..."

...oren! That's not very nice at all! :mad:

Translation talk is extremely more interesting than "here's my completely random and barely supported theories! Let's argue for several pages about them even though there's no way to know anything! Also, the gangster is a crossdresser!" So I really don't know why you keep going off like this.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Halphassed posted:

So everything is consfiscated, but Nidai can keep his giant chains?

Togami probably took one look at coach, thought to himself for a moment and decided not to take them for the safety of his own well being.

Serious answer: that would require a whole other set of portraits.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if Monobear's in the bathroom, giggling every time Coach tries to open the door and yells obscenities about his need to take a poo poo.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

How is this so hard to understand?

The game's opening video probably doesn't count?

Either way I wouldn't be surprised if they planted fake spoilers, like they did with the demo for DR1.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 21, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Krinkle posted:

I have only read this thread, the previous thread, and the wikipedia page if I forget the difference between several Japanese names, and somehow I know a spoiler. Not plot, not anything that matters, just what one of the ????'ed out main menu thing is going to be.

I am slowly driving myself crazy trying to figure out where I heard it from. I have read the OPs about a dozen times each trying to find it. Best guess, I think maybe it was a line in Wikipedia one day but edited out the next.

It was indeed from this thread, but I won't say any more.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Sporkaganza posted:

I know that she's one of the ones under suspicion, but I really think we can eliminate Pekoyama as a suspect for a meta reason: There's no way they're going to specifically request a voice actress as famous as Kotono Mitsuishi just to kill off her character in the very beginning of the game by execution.

On the other hand, it's quite possible that they weren't able to arrange for her to record that many lines (disclaimer: I don't know how voice acting in games is handled, especially in Japan) so they just arranged for her to be killed right away.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Didja Redo posted:

F...Fedule! C...could I make a suggestion? I...I think maybe you should c...consider...t...toning...t...this...d...down.

Unless one of the twists involves everyone having a stutter.

I know, right? It's almost like they're teenagers who just witnessed a murder!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Krinkle posted:

What is that lower right setting? SMING?

It's "SWING". The swing setting is how much to the temperature should be allowed to vary. :eng101:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 27, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Look at the ceiling fan, top left. And that thing on the wall by it. Different angle.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Skunkrocker posted:

Um... yeah, I know, one screenshot is further back than the other and at a slightly different angle. I'm talking about the table's proximity to the carpet. In the flashback, it's completely off the carpet. Now it slightly overlaps it. It doesn't look like much but it has still been moved. Either that or the rendering engine is showing the new art asset as being closer than the previous one.

.....No? Not really? The table corner doesn't overlap on the second, as far as I can tell. The tablecloth on the left does, because it's been pulled back. It's just the camera angles playing tricks on you.

EDIT:

Okay, I can see how it might look like the table was pulled closer to the carpet, but really, it's such a minor loving thing that I doubt it's intentional.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 28, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Noumena posted:

Fedule, please tell us what you mean. Are they supposed to act surprised? Hinata? We, the readers? Why? What's unusual about this scene?

We were supposed to act surprised that the characters are investigating the obvious thing we considered, the floorboards.

EDIT: drat it slowbeef

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Not gonna lie, when I saw Monomi actually swings back and forth in the background, I had to pause the video for a second because I just couldn't stop laughing.

I'm already liking these trials a lot more than the ones from the first game. The new minigame (which also caught me completely by surprise) adds a lot more flow to the discussion, and nobody seems suddenly useless or extremely competent, at least out of character anyway.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Have you tried getting your account connected with the LP subforum's specialized image hoster?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Can I just ask what kind of chickenshit electrician wired the building so that you'd blow a circuit running three irons on top of the lights and the air conditioning?

Paracelsus posted:

Probably the same guy as the chickenshit fire inspector who signed off on the building plan.
Guys don't be rude to Monobear/Monomi, whoever built that worked very hard! :mad:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I really can't decide what's my favorite part: Sonya saying "monkey's uncle" or Chiaki's "You've got that wrong!" :allears:

Also gee I wonder who the suspect is?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Didn't the previous Monobear lie when he (tried) to execute Naegi?

Yeah, then they called him (techically her) out on it and that's why the very final trial happened in the first place.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

...are we already taking a recess in the middle of a trial? The first trial? :stare: This game keeps making things more and more interesting than the first one!

EDIT: Also I feel like we have enough evidence at this point to reason our way to an answer, but whatever, maybe we'll figure out what's up with those floorboards or whatever

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I kinda hope Machine Gun battle doesn't come back since it wasn't really anything other than a shoe-horned in rhythm-like game. It just...I dunno, it just didn't fit at all and is better covered by the new minigames introduced in this game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Pork Lift posted:

I know it's confusing but this thread isn't your mum's fridge.

Not sure why your mom would hang your friend's artwork on her fridge, but whatever.

Loving the anatomy stuff, by the way. Anatomy often reflects the traits of characters....or the laziness or fetishes of the artist, but that's another story :v:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I'm trying to cut down on fried foods, can I get my Hanamura grilled, please?

But no seriously that was pretty brutal, and this was probably sadder than any of the motives from DR1. :smith:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

slowbeef posted:

Also, there's kind of an art error. The monoPad's background is in landscape, but the icons and dock are in portrait mode. Nice try, Dangan Ronpa! *gasses thread*

The rotation is clearly locked, even though that's a feature that most people tend to forget exists and barely ever use it. What now? :smug:

Also I didn't except the first chapter itself to end on a cliffhanger. I was hoping for just a simple end to an update but nope! Thanks, Dangan Ronpa.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Suzuki Method posted:

And that'd be outright lying, because he didn't tell Hanamura what happened. Does Monobear outright lie?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Yes. He said they were correct about who the murderer was when Naegi or Kirigiri was convicted in the trial.
We've been over this; that was pretty much his only lie and they called him out on it, and that led to the whole final trial. In normal situations, no, Monobear does not lie and is in fact sometimes brutally honest. He does, however, like to twist words around a lot, like the "I didn't say I when I would tell you" thing.

Now, he might tell a lie if there was no possible way anyone would know he was lying. Junko probably thought as much when she lied in DR1.

slowbeef posted:

So the background picture was taken sideways? Here, I'll edit your emote into this post. :smug:
:psyduck: I didn't even notice that when I made that dumb joke and now I am greatly shamed and also a little confused. Whatever, Monobear/Spike.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

it is posted:

In fact, I know for a fact the song [Maybe spoilers? I dunno] a spoiler because I accidentally stumbled upon that scene on YouTube. No track lists.

I know I probably shouldn't go here, but are you absolutely sure you're not thinking of something we've already seen?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Roro posted:

I don't think you get it. I was on an unrelated page, scrolled down, and got spoilers.
The only warning I got was a brief flash of a gif saying "Super Dangan Ronpa 2!"
THis is on a forum that is about a farming game, I think I'm justified in not expecting spoilers there.

:raise: I'm kinda finding this a little hard to believe, but maybe you should have stopped reading? Stopped looking at the pictures? Stopped scrolling down? I would have just closed my eyes at the first pic, gone "NOPE" and flung my mouse in the general direction of the Close Tab button.

I'm just trying to figure out what loving led you to stumble upon a trove of SDR2 spoilers on, quote, an "unrelated page" on a forum "about a farming game".

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Miulei posted:

Who else thinks that Komaeda is gonna be the traitor and that's why he acts like a deranged psychopath? Because it seems probable to me. Just saying.

I feel like if that was the case, the game would have just settled that by now, since if he's the traitor it's painfully obvious. So it's probably not him.

Like I know the game does this "oooooh you think that this can't be the twist but it IS the twist!" thing sometimes (or at least pretends to pull it...it does a lot of twisty things is what I'm saying) but if Komaeda was the traitor I don't think a single god drat person would be surprised, including the characters of the game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Asthanius posted:

Then again, this game is all about subverting what you expect from the first game, right? So what if it subverts what you expect to happen by not subverting this?

Yeah, but hyping up the traitor the whole time and then just saying it's the character that's been a prime suspect for almost the entire game crosses the border from "unexpectedly expected" to "lovely writing".

EDIT: Except the characters don't seem to be saying "Hmm maybe Komaeda is linked to the traitor" so who the gently caress knows I guess.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 16, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

orenronen posted:

So, what should I do today? I get all jittery if I stay inside.

It's the little things like this that are making me like Hinata more as a character than Naegi. Maybe it's just me, but I always felt like Naegi came across as like "I guess I should go talk to someone" or "I'm bored and tired, I gotta go do something". (Not in some weird emo or loner way, but in an "I have virtually no personality" kind of way.) It definitely feels like Hinata has more of a personality (still less than the other characters, mind you) than boring old Naegi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

As wary as I am about digital rabbit AIs, I'm going to have to agree that we should pamper the hell out of it, if only to make Gundam proud.

• Locked thread