Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I'm sorry, Fedule; I had to check.

Anyway, as Fedule so kindly pointed out, there was a Princess Momochi doll in the Pets menu. You may recognize as that character Ultragoon made creepy, adult doujin about.

Edit: I, too, wouldn't mind if you toned down the wabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
It will probably become apparent later, but I can't help but think that Super Dangan Ronpa 2 is actually a prequel to both Dangan Ronpa Zer0 and Dangan Ronpa. Maybe we are witnessing the Most Ridiculously Named Disaster unfold before our very eyes. That would explain Fatogami, I think. Maybe he was the comatose student left after the Incident; he could have possibly have had his memory wiped after the Incident by Matsuda. Still, from what little we seen of Fatogami, he appears to be Togami after he experienced all his character development in Dangan Ronpa, so maybe my little theory isn't correct.

Regardless of all that, I am eagerly waiting more Dangan Ronpa Zer0 chapters. I had pictured Hope's Peak Academy as a vastly different place than what we've been shown so far. I am surprised that the scientists were not SHSL themselves at one point, and even more surprising to me, is how utterly amoral everyone in that last chapter seemed.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Bland posted:

You may have noticed they're on a desert island and not a Japanese high school

We don't know where they are, how they got there, or when this is all taking place. Hell, we don't even know if the island is truly deserted. Furthermore, when describing the Incident, the committee scientist people pointed out that they don't much about the crime. Things being what they are, we do not have enough information on the crime to even discuss it past it's impact on future events. The state of the bodies, the classroom, the actual crime scene: the useful details haven't been revealed yet. The only thing we know at this point is that a Hope's Peak Academy classroom was supposedly where the murders took place and this event took place before Dangan Ronpa and Dangan Ronpa Zer0. None of that rules out the possibility of Super Dangan Ronpa 2 being a prequel and the Incident. Remember where the game began.

Though, I admit, it is probably too early to go down this line of speculation.

edit'd for clarity

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Bland posted:

And the walls were painted with viscera after the fact to set the mood I imagine

Or a confrontation took place after the bodies were moved. Maybe Hinata tore the fat from Togami's body.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Heliotrope posted:

It wouldn't be as despair inducing for someone to get killed by the mastermind because they dropped a soda can on the ground.

I disagree. Someone being executed because they did so little as dropping a soda can on the ground is very despair inducing. To see a person die for something so arbitrary would be very frightening, especially if you knew you could do nothing to defend yourself. Either way, wasn't the original point that the students feared the robots would kill them if they broke the rules? Monobear may not go that far, but no one living among the student would know that. All they know about him is that he's their crazy tormentor that's tempting the students to kill each other. It wouldn't be a very big leap to thinking that such a ridiculous and insane bear would kill them over something so minor. Hell, we've seen the previous Monobear kill her own sister on a whim.

ApplesandOranges posted:

On a slightly off-topic note, apparently YouTube might still suggest recommended videos if you're using YouTube even if you've used Polsy for all the trial videos. Luckily the few recommended ones they've sneaked into the sidebar don't have any spoilery thumbnails, but it's a little annoying. Is there a way to turn them recommendations off?
I don't know of a way to turn them off through Youtube, but there are some scripts that removes them (among other things).

Commentless, Distractionless Youtube is a nice userscript which removes comments and suggested/recommended videos from Youtube.

Youtube De-Crapifier is an userstyle that pretty much removes everything that isn't the video. Has some problems with playlists, I believe.

YousableTubeFix (Foxfire)(Opera)(Chrome) does a lot of stuff, but it allows you to pick and choose elements to remove.

I haven't really used these much, or ever in the case of yousabletubefix, but they seem to work well. Hope that helped.

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 11, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

This is exactly why I pointed out that if they're going the "SHSL super fanboy" route, he's got to be obsessed with both Naegi and Junko. Both "personalities" are fighting for control to the point where he's like the ultimate self-insert fanfic character. Half good, half evil, all lunatic who can't separate his fanboy fantasies from reality.

He's not obsessed with either Naegi or Junko. He's not half-Hope, half-Despair. I mean, if that is your theory, fine, but that isn't what game has shown us so far. Where are you even getting this stuff?

He's a Hope fanatic who desires to be part of something better than himself. He wants to immerse the Super High School Level students, the symbols of Hope, in the most powerful Despair, so that they can rise up with an even more powerful Hope. That is what he said in the update, and frankly, we have no reason to disbelieve him on this front.

Let me reiterate: Naegito is a lunatic obsessed with Hope; the SHSL students are the symbols of Hope; Naegito believes great Hope is created through adversity/Despair; Naegito wants to create the greatest amount of Despair so an even greater amount of Hope is born; Naegito is, once again, crazy; Naegito believes that the SHSL students are some great agents of Hope (even if they themselves don't believe so); Naegito believes the agents of Hope, the SHSL students, will conquer any Despair with their Hope.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Hanamura did the killing, but it feels like Nagito is the murderer here. Hmm.

Nothing is going to be the same on the island. Nagito succeeded in his plan. Hanamura's motivation for killing is surely to inspire the others. They too have people or things waiting for them. Waiting Monobear out is not an option for everyone. Even without further input from Monobear, there will be more killings. I suspect only Nagito fully understands the repercussions of Hanamura's actions. Of course, if this Monobear is anything like the last, better (worse?) motivation for killing is pop up.

I don't particularly mind Hanamura's motivation myself. The first game didn't reveal the motivations of the killers until the very end, and for like half of them, people still felt sympathetic. I'm not particularly bothered by Hanamura's motivation, his real motivation, being revealed until the very end. It is basically the first motivation Monobear set up for the students: the desire to go home coupled with two years worth of amnesia. I do feel a little sorry for him; maybe because I didn't hate his character?

Anyway, it is bit amusing to me that Hanamura was both Leon and Maizono in this crime. And Nagito was both Togami and Kirigiri (and Syo and Fukawa and Junko and Naegi, even, . . . maybe comparing people to the first game based on their roles is kind of dumb?).

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 16, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

alcharagia posted:

So, I know that he is designed to be misleadingly similar to Naegi and his name is an anagram, yes, yes, we've covered this. There is no e in his last name. It's Nagito. Grant Chunsoft what very little degree of separation they managed.

Oops. My bad. I was using Naegi's more familiar name to remember Nagito, so I ended up spelling it Naegi by mistake. I'll, uh, fix this. Thanks for pointing this out.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

Hanamura I'm iffy on, but Mondo gets none of my sympathy. Anyone who violently beats a little girl to death (Okay, his gender was male, but he had the physical strength and timidness of a little girl) out of petty jealousy and shame deserves nothing. Especially considering he was perfectly willing to go with "Yeah, it was Syo/Togami!" and doom everyone else to death. Mondo was a major rear end in a top hat.

That was basically how I felt about Mondo Cool after the trial. Well, I could kind of sympathize with accidently killing Chihiro, but he was trying to pin the blame on someone else and doom the rest of his classmates. However, he isn't much different from Hanamura in the respect or any other murderer (with the exception of Leon and Maizono). It's not fair to dislike Mondo more. With the exception of the first murder in Dangan Ronpa, none of the victims had a chance to fight back.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Rith posted:

I have a lot of sympathy for Mondo. Of all the murderers we've seen - Leon, Mondo, Yamada, Celes, Hanamura - he's the only one who had no intention of killing beforehand; maybe on some level he was looking for an excuse to murder someone, because he was terrified of his secret getting out, but it's pretty clear that he wasn't actively planning to kill Chihiro. Chihiro was killed by a single blow in a flash of anger. Mondo obviously regretted what he'd done immediately, considering that his actions immediately after the murder were to protect Chihiro's secret - risking leaving evidence in the process - rather than to protect himself, but the moment that first blow landed it was too late for regret to do any good. In the end, he quietly accepted his punishment. None of this makes what he did acceptable, and of course he wasn't noble enough to save the others by confessing, but I do think it counts for something.

This trial has been incredible. I can't imagine how anyone's going to interact with Komaeda from now on, but I'm looking forward immensely to finding out.

That is the nicest spin to put on the whole thing. Of course, another way to look at it is Mondo regretted killing Chihiro but tried to obscure the crime scene. Anyone who doesn't confess to their crime is attempting to murderer the rest of the class. Mondo knew this. Mondo killed a person, but he didn't have the guts to come clean. At his age, he should have better control of himself.

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 16, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Tomn posted:

Why, yes, teenagers should indeed have better control of themselves and willingly agree to their own deaths!

Self-sacrifice may be the moral thing to do, but why is anyone assuming that moral courage, particularly when it comes to your own friggin' death, is ever easy? Half the reason why making a moral stand is respected at all is because it's so drat hard to come up to scratch when your number is called. Not everyone can pull a Sakura.
Sorry, my comment was poorly written. I meant Mondo should have enough control of himself to not attack people when he gets angry. His first instinct when he's angry should not be to harm other people, but it was. I agree with your post, though. Being self-sacrifing is hard, but in this situation, it was Mondo's responsibility to bear. Whether through accident or malice, he killed someone, and he was planning to let the rest of them die. Mondo made his decision at the trial. I'm not trying to paint Mondo as evil or anything, but I do disagree with the notion that Mondo was a much better person than any of the other murderers from the first game.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Is it a :nms:Franken Fran:nms: reference? I sure hope so. A serial killer who target other criminals while wearing a superhero mask?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

psychoticBacofoil posted:

I'd say it's one of those "winners write history" lines for sure.

Also is anyone else growing slowly more suspicious of Monomi, considering how hard she seems to be trying to keep Monobear from saying things concerning a possible traitor, and her reaction to Monobear bringing up that they need to find the traitor and kill them. It certainly seems like Monobear is divulging more information than Monomi wants and it's not exactly certain if that's because Monobear wants them to despair or Monomi doesn't want secrets getting out at this point.

Yeah. I'm sure that Monomi and Monobear are working against each other, but can't or won't take direct action against one and another. Or maybe I am mistaken and the whole thing is an act. But regardless, it is getting very obvious that both are keeping secrets from the SHSL students.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

SingerOfW posted:

I suppose the reason lies in his talent: you have to understand many different animal species to become a good animal handler, and it's not that difficult to apply the same ideas to humans.

I'm not sure why Kuzuryuu even approached them this time. I realize that he can't be off-screen all the time, but something had to change in his attitude to interact with the gang. Or maybe he just wanted to eat, I dunno.

He was probably content to stay in the background as usual until he Saionji brought him up. He does seem to be sensitive to what others are saying about him. Regardless, it'd be pretty hard for anyone to ignore what they did Komaeda or keep from commenting on the subject.

Souda talks a lot poo poo for someone so light in the rear end, don't you think? I'm a bit worried he's going to bite off more than he can chew and end up a victim. He's excitable, too. Bad combination right there. Hopefully Kuruzryuu will mellow out eventually after Souda's last comment.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

Thing about that is that it sounds very confusing and I'm not sure all the information would get communicated effectively.

vvv: It's supposed to be confusing so people don't even know what they want themselves in the end? That's dumb. There has to be a limit!

What is so confusing about it? Vote for the characters you don't want to see us interact with. Boom. One sentence, one idea. I'll break it down further. Think of all the students you hate or dislike. Tick their boxes. Hit vote. The students with the least amount of votes (the least hated) will be the ones who we interact with.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My only concern with further fuckery towards the Tumblr crowd is that it might (would) mean more idiots for Slowbeef and Zorak to :redhammer:. Haven't the mods suffered enough?

Not nearly enough in my opinion.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I liked it. V:shobon:V

Personally, I hope it's boring simulators about boring things.

What? Simulators are what going to get them off this island. You all laughed at Nanami's simulator, but who else will fly the plane or drive(?) the sub that'll take them off the island? Nagito? Motherfucka crazy.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Elite posted:

It's an investigation game so the most obvious answer is that it reveals a balance shifting secret. e.g. Imagine if it appeared in Dangan Ronpa 1 and by playing it you learned the identity of Genocider Syo.

Monobear has mentioned a traitor and there's been some talk of a killer of killers, so there's a couple of possibilities here. It's a bit of a stretch that playing the game immediately drives someone to commit murder but it makes more sense than anything else I can come up with.

Right. It isn't about the game itself. It is about pushing the character's buttons. Make them suspicious of each other. They already have the two main motives: Leave the Island and Survive. Everything else is meant to reinforce those two motives. They can survive on the island, and they may find means to leave the island if they continue to search around. However, with Hanamura's execution, a new way of looking at these two motives change. Your family and friends are out there. How long have you been gone? Are they alright? The Leave the Island (eventually) shifts to Leave the Island (soon/now). Likewise, a murder has been committed. No matter how you feel about the chiefs motive, this creates a problem. You can no longer rely on other people's decency to Survive. Hell, maybe you could never have rely on them in the first place. What do you really know about these people anyway? Some of them may have great motives to kill, others may have poo poo motives, but the net effect is that who can you really trust?

Right now, I don't the majority of the students are this paranoid yet. Some of them are definitely thinking like this, but I think the majority of them got their heads together. Though, not too together. They've imprisoned Nagito. That probably makes most of the students happy or relived. They are probably telling themselves that Komaeda caused Hanamura to kill Togami. That, if not for Komaeda, Hanamura would not have attempted to kill someone. Our resident dancer and gangster don't believe this, and they're kind of vocal about this. Anyway, I think ultimately this has made everyone a little more, or a lot more, suspicious of each other.

I've been rambling. Yeah. I do believe the point of this game is to make everyone a little more suspicious of each. Which is obvious, I guess. Like most of my post. Anyway, I believe the game is there to make them more suspicious of their fellow students by revealing some secrets about them. To see them in a new light. I don't think it is a red herring.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I just find Saionji to be boring and a little annoying. I rather see what the more interesting characters have to say first. I feel the same way about Souda and Tsumiki.

Kay Kessler posted:

She's not even evil. She just has the morality of a child. Kids think too much in black and white, because they're not mentally and emotionally developed enough to see a gray area. Murder is the worst thing you can do, but bullying and animal cruelty are perfectly fine. If someone's nice to you, they're automatically good, etc. In Saionji's case, it's either an act, or there's something seriously wrong with her brain.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that their is something wrong with her brain, but yeah, Saionji is pretty childish. Like, her entire character so far appears to be just a big, insecure child lashing out at people because she doesn't know how to make friends. She's still a jerk and a bully, though.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Kuzuryuu isn't really like Togami. Togami was legitimately capable of manipulating people, while Kuzuryuu makes do with threats and boasting which no one takes all that seriously because he is so tiny and adorable.

I don't remember Togami ever successfully manipulating anyone not named Fukawa. I would say Kuzuryuu and Togami isn't a like because they two different motivations and only share a similar abrasive exterior. And even that is not too similar because Kuzuryuu behavior seem to be mostly just an act while Togami legitimately despised his peers.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
There are plenty of things one could do with VR plot. It doesn't have to be horrible. Hell, the real meaning of the VR is how they got their in the first place. Remember, Monobear was not the one who brought the kids to the island; Ms Monomi has that honor. The question shouldn't be what advantages it provided Monobear but why would Monomi kidnap them in this way.

I do believe a "It was all a dream" type VR plot could be funny. Imagine, after you were killed, you wake up from the machine, and you are standing in front of the person you murdered. Not as satisfying as everyone dying for real (murders in stories are more entertaining when death has consequences), but I would love seeing Hanamura explain to Fatogami why he had to die.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

SingerOfW posted:

I wonder why Monobear even bothered splitting the game in two parts, since it's so easy to get the grand prize (and by "easy" I mean "you don't have to be a SHSL Gamer to do so"). Anyone could get it, so why set that low hurdle in the first place? Unless it's there just to pace the information for the player (the DR2 player, I mean).

There is a possibility that the game was designed to allow only certain students to see the Truth ending. Only those with connections to the game would see the Truth. People unrelated would not see it; either they just didn't want to mess with the game in the first place or they lacked the proper intuition to solve the puzzle presented. The game was obviously designed to mess with the heads of only a few of the students, playing at memories no longer there.

That presumes, however, that Monobear (and possibly Monomi) had predicted that the students would publicly avoid the game like they did and know them well enough to design a puzzle only the right people (and Nanami) would see through. Theory is shaky at best, but it is a possible reason outside vidjya game logic for the split.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
:negative: Everyone's stupid theories were right all along. Why? I just wanted the people in the thread to be wrong. Was that too much to ask, game?

But whatever. Its not anything to get worked up over.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
At first I was skeptical of this whole Peko-Peko being Kirayoma, but the glowing eyes and the Sailor Moon pose just really sold it to me. Its nice to see the characters react like the threadgoers. Hopefully, after Kiri-Kiri's execution, Kuzuryuu will inherit the mask and sunbathe the entire cast in Justice. Just some complete Ishida poo poo.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Why would she reveal this information? What if Monobear decides that she was the murderer instead of just a murder tool? The whole island knows now that Kuzuryuu is a murderer! If the ruling doesn't go the way she hopes it will, Kuzuryuu will be hell. He's been made a target.

I'm happy that thread goons were kind of wrong for once.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

That guy is kind of mean, I hope he sees his only friend murdered and is framed for his death. :wtc:

She wasn't just "kind of mean". She's a real nasty person who loves bullying others. A lot people hates bullies. Especially those who have been bullied.

DaveWoo posted:

Based on that, I'd say, yeah, he was probably going to kill Mahiru, had Peko not intervened.

Or he would have choked again. Maybe point the bat at her and yell like he always done before. Or, yeah, maybe he would have just hit her in a fit of rage. There's no telling what he was going to do even if he grabbed the bat.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Koizumi should have had plenty of reason to really hate Kuzuryuu's sister then, but somehow she managed to resist committing murder over it. If she'd been the one to snap and commit murder instead of her friend, I wonder if a couple of these recent posters would find her more likable? Cause apparently being a mouthy bitch bothers them more than killing people.

Koizumi assisted in the murder of the bully by hiding key evidence that may have led to an arrest of her bully's murderer. She's an accessory to the murder of her bully. Which was why Kuzuryuu was mad at her in the first place.

I don't think Saionji being a "mouthy bitch" is why people don't like her. She's just mean and nasty to people even when they try to comfort her about her friend dying. She straights up bullies Mikan, and that's cringeworthy whenever it happens. Also, unlike the bullying Koizumi received, Saionji's behavior happens onscreen where everyone can see her. I'm sure if Kuzuryuu's sister was shown bullying Koizumi on a regular basis and had such a lovely attitude, people would dislike her as much as they Saionji.

Of course, the idea of people disliking her for being a bully is pure conjecture on my part. The people who dislike her could just hate her for being short. I don't know.

Anyway, the point of my last poorly typed post was that people who dislike Saionji and don't feel sorry for her hate her for more than the fact she was "kind of mean". She's a pretty big rear end in a top hat. People wanted Togami in DR1 to die for similar reasons. Its not unusual for members of the audience to want the jerk to suffer even if there is someone committing a worse crime.

Rena posted:

And I am still gonna go with it's really hosed up to think a unrelated character dying because they happen to be friend's with an rear end in a top hat bully is karma. Yeah this is fictional, and I don't for a second think anyone saying this would say the same thing about a real person, but for me it still goes too far. Hoping the bully gets some payback for her actions? Hell I'm hoping Saionji gets some, and I really like the character. But I want it to actually blow up in her face, some misfortune because of her bullying. Being satisfied with this is like being happy a thief's dog got run over while they were taking it for a walk. It's not going to actually make the thief change their morals, and the dog wasn't the one committing the crimes.

I don't think most people who dislike (how many times have I used this phrase?) Saionji actually cares if she questions her behavior or change her morals. I'll agree with you that Koizumi shouldn't have to die to satisfy people's idea of karma, but I don't think people are actually arguing that she should. The original post that started this particular question was, "Does anyone else feel sorry for Saionji?" Some people said yes and some people said no. I'm guessing most people who would answer "no" do not feel sorry for Saionji in spite of what happened to Koizumi.

Well, how 'bout that Nagito? He's reminding of some sort of Mad Scientist. At first I thought he was more like a fanboy, but now he seems to be some sort of Hope-obsessed anthropologist.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

The mecha suit wasn't her idea, though. She just wanted Yamada to make a suit that would conceal a person's identity. It was his stupidity that introduced that particular flaw.
The appearance of the suit wasn't the problem. It was stupid and weird, but so was Genocider Syo. The mecha suit served its initial purpose fine. The flaw of the suit was its unbending waist, but that was a "feature" Celes requested so that they could setup Hagakure. All the flaws in Celes's plan came directly from Celes even though she did try to blame Ultragoon.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

alcharagia posted:

I actually couldn't care less about the overall plot of Dangan Ronpa because honestly it's kind of stupid. I feel like the character interaction in 2's been a lot better than in 1, partially because the deaths aren't nearly as front-loaded so far and there are a lot more people to interact with each other. Also because Komaeda wasn't in 1 and he rules. The actual murder mystery aspect of the game has also been much more entertaining so far, since the first case was an actual mystery instead of 11037 and the second one was pretty good too.

Honestly it'll probably just turn out to be Junko again.

Don't forgot about the trials either. The characters seem much more alive now that they can properly interject and object to what the protagonist is saying. And Hinata, too. I wasn't too bothered by Naegi when Oren was actively LPing DR1, but its hard not to compare him to Hinata now, and he's comes up short.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Maybe... except that she was really unhappy about everyone willing to forgive and forget Kuzyryuu trying to murder Koizumi. He also stayed silent while Saionji had a big frame nailed around her. That's the kind of thing people take personal.

Saionji is not dumb, so if she was planning on getting revenge, pretending to be dumber, weaker, softer, and more incompetent than she actually is, is a good opening move.

Except that when everyone thought it was horrible she pretended someone else did it. I'm not seeing any conspiracy or anything from Saionji this instant, and I'd be surprised if this will be anything other than a joke about Saionji's aesthetic choices. (Of course, this will have relevance in the trial somehow.) She doesn't seem the manipulative type, anyway. She's been very straightforward and seem to be operating on the same level as Nidai and Ibuki intellectually.

Of course, as this is Dangan Ronpa, I am probably horribly wrong.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
The good ol' days when we thought Nagito was sane.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I wonder how Komaeda will react when he finds out about Hope's Peak? Besides the initial denial. He built his entire worldview around Hope, and if the universal symbol for Hope is dead, it'd be sweet to see the look on Nagito's face when he finds out.

But enough about crazypants, I just got to know someone like Kuzuryu became a SHSL Gangster. He's too soft to be breakin' kneecaps and doing gangster stuff. Also, I wondering if Mikan is more interesting during her free time.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I'm hoping we get to see Souda put his talents to use at some point. They haven't really come into play much to speak of yet, but being a genius mechanic is kind of a huge deal and there are a lot of spare parts sitting around the island.

He's going to fix that damned handheld, and you're going to be crying tears when you see it work.

JT Jag posted:

They're about as good at what they do as you can expect a high schooler to be, I'd wager.

Of course, there are tons of people who aren't in high school who do what they do too, so they aren't the best yet.

edit: gently caress beaten

I don't know. According to Sakura, there was only one person more skilled than she was. Considering he was bedridden when she left him, I think it is safe to say that Sakura was the greatest martial artist alive before her death. The dickweed from DR0 also seemed to be highly regarded in neurology (that was his discipline, right?) even by adult practitioners.

The title "SHSL" probably only mean "best in age group", but some of the characters seem to be the best at what they do period. The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive after all.

Endorph posted:

'SHSL' doesn't necessarily mean 'best in the world.' Hagakure back in the first game himself admitted he wasn't right all of the time, and if Owari is the world's best gymnast, why does Nidai have so much to criticize her on?

The kids have special talents, but they're not necessarily the best at them, they're just very good, with lots of potential. That's how I've always taken it, anyway.

Endorph posted:

That's entirely my point. If being 'SHSL' meant 'being the best,' than Owari would already be living up to that potential. Hope's Peak is (or, well, was :v:) about fostering talents and giving them room to grow, not bringing in people who were already perfect.

Nidai hasn't really criticized Owari's gymnastics, only her fighting ability. Though, even if she was the best gymnast in the world, it doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. I'm sure if you asked the best gymnasts in real life whether they are constantly training and improving, they'll say yes. Being the best just means you're better at it than everyone else not that you're perfect.

Chihiro reproduced an AI program from memory onto an ancient laptop. That's probably still impressive in DR's world. I imagine he had few peers.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Is it just me or is monobear a bit less focused/in charge in this game than he was in the first one? It seems even monobear doesn't have all the information or control this time around that he did previously. Also Junkonobear was definitely more engaged in getting students to murder the poo poo out of each other, while here he seems to be more willing to gently caress around and do things like make movies rather than providing a motive for the next murder.

If he is to be believed, he wasn't involved with the kidnapping of the kids or the resultant memory wipe. With his introduction, he seems to have just found Monomi one morning and decided to gently caress with her/the students out of spite. So, y'know, maybe he is just winging this whole thing as opposed to how Junko did things. Whatever this Monobear's motives are, it doesn't seem to be a desire to drown the students in DESPAIR, though.

The movie could be the new motive, waiting for the right person to see it. Or maybe he doesn't need a motive for this next murder. Both Owari and Saionji look like they're up to something. Saionji just looks like she'll take up photography in memory of Koizumi, but I don't know. And Owari is acting strange all of a sudden and that seems to be causing some kind of friction between her and Nidai.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Hagakure didn't get his predictions from the Crystal Ball. His deal was aliens. Also, 20% of the time, Hagakure was right all the time.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
This game is a walking reference machine. It's also a walking parody machine. You're probably right on the money.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I think Ibuki is angry that Owari and Nidai stole the spotlight from her, so Ibuki is just in a corner sulking.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Why is this thread in so much of a hurry to proclaim everything bad? This looks like a potentially interesting development to me. It's certainly better than everyone feeling about Nidai taking a rocket to the chest.

Bikindok posted:

The fact that this is probably how they're going to do it annoys me more than it should given how ridiculous some of this stuff has been already. I mean, Nidai just took a loving rocket to the chest and isn't dead yet. But still, you don't get to do something like this in a mystery story and then never explain it ever, that just feels cheap.

Speaking of Nidai, the guy is kind of a wimp. One rocket is enough to take him out.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

Question. What makes this game "super" in comparison to the original?

Hinata. Compare Hinata to Naegi. You can figure out the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Pester posted:

I kind of think that it's not an actual disease, and just subliminal messages in that movie that Monobear was trying to force people to watch.

Does that mean the movie was super interesting, and Komaeda was actually trying to recommend it to Hinata? Poor, Hinata, he missed out on the best RomCom around because of some bad advice.

• Locked thread