Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Hace posted:

I have know idea who this motherfucker is, but goddamn if he isn't my favorite character already.

Mondo + The Pillsbury Doughboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Go for it! I never outright said it in the last thread, but I really missed the Japan dots near the end of the LP of the first game. Those sort of cultural references are interesting to me, and it would be nice to get some context on those.

orenronen posted:

One of the problems of working in LP form is that we translate serially and publish immediately.

That's one of the things that I noticed in Fedule's writeup. Have you considered using something like Google Docs or another collaborative editor to aid in the translation?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

Funfact: "Sends me" is figurative. :v:
Nice!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

The sad part is due to the stupid translation ROMhacking crap I spent awhile on, you know the hex in the intro movie?

It's Japanese. They're two-byte characters, and a bunch are prepended with "82" which is a shift-JIS encoding format for Kana. I think hiragana, with katakana being 81, but I forget which is which and as I'm typing this, maybe the other way around.

You're right. Just transcribed a small part of it.

Hidden message posted:

ゆらゆらと言うよりは…
\
ぐらぐらと揺れていました。
\
rアれは僕のいる部屋自体が揺れているのです。
\

If it's not spoilerish, would someone mind translating that? I'll try doing a full thing tonight.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well I threw it through Google translate, and it didn't seem to be spoilery at all, It came out as

Looks like they're just throwing the first part of the game script in there, to make it look like it's "loading the game".

CandyCrazy posted:

It might not be a safe idea to try and translate the rest of that code. DR1's opening had some pretty big freeze-frame spoilers (Leon's, Celes's, and Naegi's executions), and this text is both freeze-frame and in a whole other language.

They also threw a wrench in the plans with , by "corrupting" the byte images. It's not a YouTube processing thing (though that doesn't help) because the corrupted bytes are the same when they scroll.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's Shift-JIS.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

Operation Tone-Down-Usami's-Speech-While-Maintaining-Character-And-Consistency is beginning the R&D phase. We present our current prototype. We request feedback.

I like this. Combining this with a light "boys and girls" might work even better, but I'm unsure.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

But I thought this was going to be a peaceful tropical vacation field trip and we'd just be having fun and collecting hope shards!

Don't lie to me, Fedule!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Spatula City posted:

I bet they don't get to leave the island until EVERYONE gets their 90 shards. poo poo, I am not good at the maths. How many interactions would have to occur for everyone to leave the island if this turns out to be the case?

Depends on how we define the problem.

If we assume that when A and B meet both A and B get one Hope Shard, and we don't have to fill any requirement like "must meet different people" (which makes the definition a lot messier), then there must be 90 meetings for each two students. So, eight pairs of 90 meetings makes 720.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Redmark posted:

edit: I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly; is it like his memory 'resets' after a certain period like a 16-bit integer overflowing, or is it a rolling window in which he only remembers the last 20 seconds + his life until 1985?

Neither. It's a complicated case.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
He just seems like a bratty teenager, thinking everybody else is under him and naive. If anything, I'd expect him just to grow up by the end of the game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

Anyway. This means that her meaning is somewhat obfuscated... but also that she's not allowed to speak gibberish or use actual wrong words. Her sentences have to be grammatically perfect when analyzed, but difficult to interpret in realtime.

If you didn't know already, there's a few tricks for this: you want to construct lots of garden path sentences. Center embedding is the cheap way to do this, but don't overdo it. You can already cause quite a bit of confusion with just two verbs if you construct it right.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 27, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hot drat. You are extremely talented, HelloWinter. Don't let that go to waste.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's hard for me to get a feel of how the islands are laid out, which has been bugging me. Is it possible to get a small video of you running around? I'd also like to see the side-scroller part in motion, because I don't think I quite get it yet.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The "Welcome Dangan Island!" music wouldn't play for me (it was empty); did anybody else have that problem?

Tindeck is fragile. Give it a moment and try again.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

Per request, here's a 40-second video (YouTube via Polsy) showing walking around the island in motion. This is the beginning of today's update, walking from the hotel to the farm.

Thanks! It may seem like an odd request, but understanding how that sort of thing works really calms me, somehow.

I don't know why I tend to get caught in spatial navigation issues like that, but I tend to.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bifauxnen posted:

Those transition screens from the walking video have even me wondering now about the computer simulation theory. I don't really like this theory. It feels like too much of a cop-out from the more "realistic" feel of DR1 (in terms of consequences for the character's lives, at least) But it's an odd contrast to this nice pretty natural setting, and it keeps coming up.

The same transitions were in DR1.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
His name is Nagito.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

I don't use RJL's built-in video capture (I used to, but it didn't work very well on my machine). I'm using Fraps.

FRAPS should record in a lossless RGB colorspace, which should be fine.

It could just be that the videos / textures on disk are YUV, in which case there's nothing we can do.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The one question I have: are the Re: tracks different in any way from their DR1 counterparts? Does the "Re:" stand for "reply to", or "recycled"?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Did HelloWinter draw a new avatar for you Fedule? That's adorable.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0&t=80s

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

CrashScreen posted:

That's a shame. While the second one still looks good, the first one looks pretty drat spectacular.

The first is a bit too busy for an avatar. The second has just the right of animation.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
So, I'm just going to ask: I'm not enjoying the tie-in novel so far, not because of anything orenronen or Fedule are doing, but because it's a tie-in novel, and it's not really doing anything for me. I know it's not a must-read in that you'll be lost without it, but I'm curious how much this is going to hamper my enjoyment of the LP. So, before I stop reading it: is DR0 separate from DR2, or is there a drastic difference that I'll get by putting in the effort to read both?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

It had looked like the students would be able to get over Usami's strange, slightly creepy personality and respect what she was trying to accomplish. However, her efforts were suddenly interrupted by Monobear. What happened to her was horribly metaphorical: Usami's nature was an embodiment of kindness and hope, but none of the students were mature enough to cherish those qualities. So, while Monobear was torturing and disfiguring her, not one student dared lift a finger to save little Usami. :smith:

Please don't look too deep into video games with teddy bears. Thanks!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Suzuki Method posted:

A moronic post

The OP posted:

3. Stuff that was in the game's promotional material pre-release shouldn't be mentioned until it appears on screen in the LP. That includes character names and titles.

How is this so hard to understand?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
This happened in the first thread, and people got probated for it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
He's selling night vision at the shop. I'm sure he's fully prepared for a romantic low-light candlelight murder

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

Get a load of that Engrish. Actually, it doesn’t seem that bad, grammatically, but it’s very definitely Engrish.

I'd love to, but I can't read such small type.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Curiosity: what is the BOX 15?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Runaway Bro posted:

Dangan Ronpa's first "investigation" theme. It replaces the usual area BGM during Abnormal Days. And it's super catchy.

Well, that didn't go over well...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
You do realize we're only one update out of I assume four or five of the investigation, right?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I guess I don't understand how Togami teleported half way across the room.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The motive is "a bomb is going to kill me if I don't murder somebody"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The biology of human beings does not apply to the biology of animes, as we've found out from the abundance or lack of blood stains.

It also did not come up as an evidence bullet, which means it's not an important thing to care about.

Maybe they didn't want to give away who died by making him yell in pain? Maybe he decided that he shouldn't scream to keep the islandees to have faith or something. There's lots of reasons other than "he wasn't actually stabbed"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I know that speculating and theorycrafting is of limited use in a game such as this, but I'm not going to write off glaring inconsistencies as "eh, it's an anime game and the writers were drunk." Keep every avenue of reasoning open.

You do realize that the entire investigation would be the span of ten minutes if playing in realtime? They're not expecting you to take a week to think about it -- they're expecting you to turn the page.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's strange Japanese culture facts like this that interest me. Can somebody start strangejapaneseculturefacts.tumblr.com or @strangejapaneseculturefacts ?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The first soundtrack had execution themes. The second probably does as well.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Changamer posted:

Is it just me, or did the music for Phrase 6 sound a bit different than the music for Phrases 1, 2, and 5? Is that a different track than the one used for those phrases, or am I just imagining the difference in the music?

Discussion -BREAK- vs. Discussion -MIX- (EDGE Version)

I think the word they're repeating is supposed to be "break" but I can't hear anything but "Kuwait"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Don't fire doors usually close automatically? Like, isn't that the entire point?

• Locked thread